gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680814 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:22:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike & Bruce and Friend on Fox And Friends  (Read 14511 times)
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »

I just want to know who Mike and Bruce's Friend that appeared with them was.
Gohi
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »

Probably Jeff.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »

They don't sound bad at all but seriously pick one vocalist for Sloop and Wouldn't It Be Nice and stick to it i think the whole band is singing that intro to sloop and be nice had like 3 different vocalists, its definitely two of their weaker songs.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

They don't sound bad at all but seriously pick one vocalist for Sloop and Wouldn't It Be Nice and stick to it i think the whole band is singing that intro to sloop and be nice had like 3 different vocalists, its definitely two of their weaker songs.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" has been a potential trainwreck since the mid-late 80's. There's that semi pro-shot video of them in Arizona in 1988 where Mike, Al, Carl, and Foskett are all singing it at the same time. At certain points in the 80's and 90's, they would kind of leave Carl alone and just have him sing it (similar to Al in the 70's). Even on the 2012 tour, you could never tell how much of Al or Foskett you were hearing.

One of my favorite live versions is from the July 4th 1980 show. They cut "WIBN" from the live TV special/video, but it was of course all broadcast live. This was the era where Al and Brian were both kind of singing it. Near the end, the sort of slowed down bit ("you know it seems the more we talk about it...."), Brian is singing with the guys and then his voice literally trails off like a tape deck running out of batteries. It literally goes "it only makes it worse to liiiiivvvvv......."

Mike would occasionally seem to butt in on the leads on just a few songs in the 80's and 90's. "WIBN" was one of them. Also for some strange reason he would double Al's lead on "Help Me Rhonda" on things like the 1980 shows (DC and Knebworth). I don't know if they planned it that way, but it always sounded messy, because Mike would eventually stop singing after a bit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

Happened to have woken up at around 5am L.A. time, (something that happens as age creeps on), and turned in Don Imus, while I guess Mike was playing on the other Fox station at the same time.  Imus said that they had wanted to do his show, but that he would never book them again, after the way Brian was treated.  Made the statement that there wouldn't be a BEACH BOYS w/o Brian!  They then cut to the live performance, (they were doing Surfing U.S.A.), and he & everyone on his staff laughed their asses off over how terrible they sounded...
(In truth, I didn't think they sounded half bad)

That's really surprising I always thought Don Imus and Mike we're close.

Can't really say I disagree with Don to be honest.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »

I've felt those are the weakest 2 that Mike and Bruce do, and it has to do with a lack of a strong lead vocal. Rhonda and GOK aside, this is where the absence of Carl and Al hurt the most.

As Hey Jude said, Mike has been butting in on those songs since the very late 70s ( he always seemed to do it during Al's leads), and did it during C50 too. It definitely weakens them.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »

Unfortunately I can't open the links that I just posted. Are they live performances? And where did they happen? I'll add them to the Pro Shot list.

I must say, I wonder how many years they will now celebrate their 50th, it's getting ridiculous touring year after year and always promote the 50th anniversary of whatever.
And I'm a little disappointed that it's not the Beach Boys who celebrate the Beach Boys (just as Brian and Al are not the Beach Boys, Mike and Bruce aren't either). In retrospect the reunion doesn't make any sense - or the break up for that matter -  if you just continue doing the same thing (that is celebrating and promoting some kind of anniversary) only with a lesser number of people and give this configuration the same meaning as the original...

The use of the term '50th' in any form should have an agreed start and finish date followed by a letter to the LA Times. Razz
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »

I just saw m&b in Hampton Beach tonight. They mentioned their fox & friends appearance (which wa met with some boos). It was a very good, solid show, but definitely underwhelming compared to the 2012 reunion concert I saw in CT. Wild Honey was the highlight of the night - I felt like I was the only person in the audience singing along. (I was definitely the only one singing along to Disney girls). I have many random observations which I won't bore you with, but the best part for me was when my 7 year old asked me towards the end of the show whether they were going to play "That's Why God Made the Radio". When I told him probably not, he was sad and incredulous. He replied, very earnestly, "why not?? It was a big hit!"
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »

California Girls:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhF_gHN9GZI

Good Vibrations:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycVXk2h2RU

I Get Around:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNeHBz4AiaI

Kokomo:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJd-w_vfw1E

Little Deuce Coupe:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shhmke27qzM

Surfin' Safari:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2904MV4xd4

Surfin' U.S.A.:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmACwBL-gY

And, some random footage:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI2SeAb4R8A
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:48:50 AM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »

I just saw m&b in Hampton Beach tonight. They mentioned their fox & friends appearance (which wa met with some boos). It was a very good, solid show, but definitely underwhelming compared to the 2012 reunion concert I saw in CT. Wild Honey was the highlight of the night - I felt like I was the only person in the audience singing along. (I was definitely the only one singing along to Disney girls). I have many random observations which I won't bore you with, but the best part for me was when my 7 year old asked me towards the end of the show whether they were going to play "That's Why God Made the Radio". When I told him probably not, he was sad and incredulous. He replied, very earnestly, "why not?? It was a big hit!"

Sounds like your 7 year old and I would get along 😕

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »

Take one thing away from these videos. The current Beach Boys touring band might be the uncoolest band on the planet playing the coolest most wonderful music of all time.

That's some accomplishment

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 02:20:38 PM »

Ouch. I'm not typically a Mike/Bruce basher. In fact I normally enjoy footage of them and would definitely go see them if they ever played near me. However, this sounds as bad as anything I've heard them do since at least Mike Kawalski (sp?) was still drumming for them. Maybe part of it is the mix but the vocals are really sloppy and weak, and the band just sounds thin. They ought to add a multi-instrumentalist to beef up the sound a bit with a little percussion, additional keyboard and guitar, etc. 

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »

[...] They ought to add a multi-instrumentalist to beef up the sound a bit with a little percussion, additional keyboard and guitar, etc.  
That would beat the purpose of having the most cost-efficient touring outfit possible. Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:46:48 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »

I don't understand why they keep touring, M&B have nothing left to prove to anybody.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »

BECAUSE THEY CAN!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »

I don't understand why they keep touring, M&B have nothing left to prove to anybody.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »

Ouch. I'm not typically a Mike/Bruce basher. In fact I normally enjoy footage of them and would definitely go see them if they ever played near me. However, this sounds as bad as anything I've heard them do since at least Mike Kawalski (sp?) was still drumming for them. Maybe part of it is the mix but the vocals are really sloppy and weak, and the band just sounds thin. They ought to add a multi-instrumentalist to beef up the sound a bit with a little percussion, additional keyboard and guitar, etc. 

Not great at all. Nuthin' will beat the SOUND of the band during C50. Mike isn't so impressive carrying the show on his own - he needs an Al and a Brian to take some leads so its not just his voice for the majority of the show...

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »

Not great at all. Nuthin' will beat the SOUND of the band during C50. Mike isn't so impressive carrying the show on his own - he needs an Al and a Brian to take some leads so its not just his voice for the majority of the show...

Exactly

Brian doesn't have to be there, he probably doesn't want to be there. But this band needs al, I'm sorry.. They sound terrible

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »

Well I am a M&B basher when required but did anyone read the blurb from the video poster?

'My Nikon camera has sharper pictures, but the sound isn't as good as the Kodak camcorder.'

Its a audience video from a camera a few feet back from the stage folks. Lets keep it real.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

I considered that of course - no doubt they sounded much better with the full force of the speakers - but that doesn't change the fact that, sorry, the songs could be performed better  

But then again, I was spoiled by C50. Had I not seen a C50 show I probably wouldn't be complaining...as much  Grin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:11:54 PM by Woodstock » Logged

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »

Also can't forget this show is broadcast from 6-9 a.m, although the C50 band sounded much better on Good Morning America during the same time slot in 2012

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »

I think they sound good!  Jeff does a good "Good Vibrations"!  I'm listening on an iPad so maybe not the best way to judge the sound.

Out of all the songs they have, and don't perform, why do they keep doing "Going to the Beach"?  Is it like Mike's SMiLE?!  Finally released after all these years.  A masterpiece which must be performed at every show. Cheesy
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »

I think they sound good!  Jeff does a good "Good Vibrations"!  I'm listening on an iPad so maybe not the best way to judge the sound.

Out of all the songs they have, and don't perform, why do they keep doing "Going to the Beach"?  Is it like Mike's SMiLE?!  Finally released after all these years.  A masterpiece which must be performed at every show. Cheesy

I've asked the same thing for years about Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »

(...) Even on the 2012 tour, you could never tell how much of Al or Foskett you were hearing. (...)
Here you can clearly hear just Al on lead vocal on WIBN and he's doing an absolute fantastic one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwbpppP6U0

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx