gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 06:30:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Come "Surf's Up" Wasn't Performed C50?  (Read 9858 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »

Nope, 'twas Surf's Up with Scott, just as stated earlier.

My response was directed at the question which other song(s) was done at soundcheck but not performed. One of them was "Friends" iirc as stated above. Wasn't meaning that SU wasn't soundchecked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »

Years back I read an interview of some kind with Carl when he was asked about playing Surf's Up live again, and he said, yeah that would be great, I'd love to, but we would need all the instruments like the French horns to do it right - - - lo and behold, a few decades later Brian's band has a - - - - - -  French horn player, and the rest of the C50 ensemble was there to have pulled it off.  But, I think this song is so special it would almost have to have its own special spotlight in the set list. It might have been hard to find a place for it, set the right mood, right moment, etc. Not like dropping in "Car Crazy Cutie" or "Noble Surfer" (which would have been fine with me). I don't know, just random ideas here . . . . . sure would have great to hear it at C50, though.

Maybe Brian could have graciously asked Mike to sing lead on it.

Now THAT'S something that hadn't crossed my mind . . . . .
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »

Years back I read an interview of some kind with Carl when he was asked about playing Surf's Up live again, and he said, yeah that would be great, I'd love to, but we would need all the instruments like the French horns to do it right - - - lo and behold, a few decades later Brian's band has a - - - - - -  French horn player, and the rest of the C50 ensemble was there to have pulled it off.  But, I think this song is so special it would almost have to have its own special spotlight in the set list. It might have been hard to find a place for it, set the right mood, right moment, etc. Not like dropping in "Car Crazy Cutie" or "Noble Surfer" (which would have been fine with me). I don't know, just random ideas here . . . . . sure would have great to hear it at C50, though.

Maybe Brian could have graciously asked Mike to sing lead on it.

+1, and graciously ask Al to take over at "...dove nested towers".  Woulda been nice

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »

the band cannot fathom the gravitas of their own music. SU is a song so powerful and well composed that it should be a certainty on their setlist.

PS has SJB, WIBN and GOK
Smile has H&V, GV and SU

if any 6 songs better represent that era, their artistic pinnacle, then please submit them for my reading.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »

I remember before the BW w/ Jeff Beck tour, I read an interview with one of BW's band members.  He said that they wouldn't be playing Surf's Up. He said it was a hard song for Brian to sing.

So with the song being too hard for Brian to sing and (I'm just guessing) Mike wasn't pushing to get the song in the setlist, the idea of performing Surf's Up was probably short lived to nonexistent.
Nicko1234
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »

I remember before the BW w/ Jeff Beck tour, I read an interview with one of BW's band members.  He said that they wouldn't be playing Surf's Up. He said it was a hard song for Brian to sing.

So with the song being too hard for Brian to sing and (I'm just guessing) Mike wasn't pushing to get the song in the setlist, the idea of performing Surf's Up was probably short lived to nonexistent.

This is an interesting post.

They did play Surf`s Up on that tour but as a semi-instrumental version with Brian not singing the lead (in the clips I have seen anyway).

I can`t remember the last time that Brian did sing Surf`s Up in concert (maybe someone here can?) but it seems like a while ago.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »

This is an interesting post.

They did play Surf`s Up on that tour but as a semi-instrumental version with Brian not singing the lead (in the clips I have seen anyway).

I can`t remember the last time that Brian did sing Surf`s Up in concert (maybe someone here can?) but it seems like a while ago.
Looks like the last Smile show was the last time it was played with him singing.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-beach-boys-3d6c17b.html?song=Surf's+Up
halblaineisgood
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:17:28 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »

Looks like the last Smile show was the last time it was played with him singing.

Thanks.

I guess that confirms that it is probably is down to Brian (either finding it difficult to sing or not wanting to sing it) that it wasn`t performed.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »

Thanks.

I guess that confirms that it is probably is down to Brian (either finding it difficult to sing or not wanting to sing it) that it wasn`t performed.

How does it confirm that? That's a possible reason, but it doesn't rule out all other reasons.

Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 07:28:07 PM »

How does it confirm that? That's a possible reason, but it doesn't rule out all other reasons.

I said it means it is probably down to Brian (or his people if you prefer).

As he wasn`t singing it in 2011 and before and he wasn`t singing it in 2013, I would still say that is the case.
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »

I said it means it is probably down to Brian (or his people if you prefer).

As he wasn`t singing it in 2011 and before and he wasn`t singing it in 2013, I would still say that is the case.
I assumed that Brian just didn't feel like singing Surf's Up. In the 2012 RS interview, I believe Brian was asked if they were going to perform any Smile tracks and he said something like "Nah, we don't wanna do any of that stuff" and Mike then told Brian that they had to at least play Heroes and Villains (which they did, at least at the show I went to). I thought that Brian comment was very Brian-like if you know what I mean.  Grin  Surf's Up live in 2012 would have been cool though.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »

PS has SJB, WIBN and GOK
Smile has H&V, GV and SU

if any 6 songs better represent that era, their artistic pinnacle, then please submit them for my reading.

Word.  Rock!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 11:31:19 PM »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:14:33 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »

It's interesting to read from the above posts that the four songs that were rehearsed during sound check but never performed were "Friends", "I can hear music", "surf's up", and "the warmth of the sun".

These were the only 4 songs on the "50 big ones" compilation that were not performed during the c50 tour. Cool to know that they were all considered. I imagine that "the warmth of the sun" may have been Scott as well, as he also sang lead on this with Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys last year, I believe (maybe it was early this year).
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:12:01 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »

Lyrics don't matter, only the way in which a collection of syllables associate phonetically and grammatically with melodic lines that soar over, under, and around the rhythmic devices they occupy in order to convey some abstract scene or emotion... Smile's main point. That being said, Surf's Up isn't Surf's Up without the tape delay, muted guitar, glockenspiel, and jewelry.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:13:35 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »

"Ooooh," "bidow," and "wadoo" are not considered lyrics, you know...
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »

I remember before the BW w/ Jeff Beck tour, I read an interview with one of BW's band members.  He said that they wouldn't be playing Surf's Up. He said it was a hard song for Brian to sing.

After a C50 gig, myself and a few others were having a beer in a pub with Nelson and Probyn. Someone asked Nelson why SU hadn't been played and his response was that it was now too difficult for Brian to sing. He also said something along the lines of no one else being able to sing it and were conscious not to give too many leads to non principles. Words to that effect anyway. It was 2.00 in the morning and a belly full of beer, but he definitely said  Brian could no longer do it
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:32:50 PM by Moz from Oz » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »

I remember before the BW w/ Jeff Beck tour, I read an interview with one of BW's band members.  He said that they wouldn't be playing Surf's Up. He said it was a hard song for Brian to sing.

Surf's Up was a huge part of the Jeff Beck tour though.  They played it at every show with Our Prayer as an intro, but Brian didn't sing lead, Beck's guitar did the lead singing for him.  And it was pretty awesome.  Brian did however sing the "A children's song" coda.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:47:24 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »

After a C50 gig, myself and a few others were having a beer in a pub with Nelson and Probyn. Someone asked Nelson why SU hadn't been played and his response was that it was now too difficult for Brian to sing. He also said something along the lines of no one else being able to sing it and were conscious not to give too many leads to non principles. Words to that effect anyway. It was 2.00 in the morning and a belly full of beer, but he definitely said  Brian could no longer do it
Only a belly full?  And then some, I'll bet  Grin  Great info, man - Hope all is well - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 05:15:48 AM »

I bet Stamos could've done it  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx