gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 09:43:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Male Ego Board  (Read 15278 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »

The Gold Board was the message board of JohnB's Imagination website, i think, and this looks like this was it (last updated 2008):

http://records2.tripod.com/BrianWilson.htm

Yes, Barone.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »

I remember the cabinessence board, early 2000s. I used to post there, played my first "Beach Boys Survivor" on it. One day it disappeared. I wonder why? Anybody know? Problem with posters? I remember buying a home-made Dennis shirt from somebody on that board. Can't remember his name. I still have the shirt. The exact web address to the board was cabinessence.com/brian/discus

The Cab just vanished one day because the owners - forget their names, husband & wife, or at least partners... Jim someone ? Whatever... - lost interest and didn't renew the subs. Susan Lang restarted it, and as Shut Down II it's still going, but barely.

The tshirt guy was almost certainly Greg Larson, who used to post here and passed on some time ago. Nice guy, very generous with the footwear but had huge personal daemons that eventually overwhelmed him. It was very nice to see him given a tribute along with Coach Bob Haines in the booklet of The Smile Sessions. Very classy move by someone.

sh*t, why can I remember this drivel off the top of my head but can't make a decent living ? I guess God hates me, me, personally.

Thanks AGD, and yes now that you mention it, it WAS Greg Larson! I'm sorry to hear what happened to him though. He also made a nice Smile T-Shirt which I still have too (front and back images of the Smile jacket sleeve).

My last memory of the Cabinessence Board consists of reading weird threads by somebody with the name Ginn who started talking about The Plasmatics. Then, poof, no more cabinessence board  Shrug

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »

The Cab just vanished one day because the owners - forget their names, husband & wife, or at least partners... Jim someone ?

That was Mike Wheeler. His girlfriend Erin who became his wife pretty much took over (real nice woman with common sense) but passed the baton after they moved to Oregon.

The guy who made the shirts, Greg Larson, was one of the nicest, caring, and sharing guys I've ever known. A real baseball umpire, he loved to hit the sauce, and could talk Beach Boys and Baseball for hours on the phone. Made some nice shirts too. Shared the hell out of his tapes and CD collection.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:01:57 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »

Greg Larson was a lovely guy, I traded music with him, he sent me Beach Boy cassettes and I sent him McCartney CDRs, his computer didn't have a burner, I think he was running something out of the Ark: - ) He loved his waccy-baccy.

I remember Bruce posting on the the Ego Board that he'd just had a royalty check from the recording company for that one hit he'd had, it was for $300,000.00, apparently he had one twice a year and this one was a little more than usual because Manilow had had a greatest hits album out the previous year.

The memory banks are having a poke tonight, it surprising what rubbish is up there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:00:27 PM by JS1 » Logged

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »

Apologies, double post...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:54:51 PM by JS1 » Logged

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »

Sassy! Good Lord ihad forgotten that name.

Sherri Skanes: FB friend of mine. Funny dudette. Grin

She was so popular that the Surf's Up Mailing List was created, so people could avoid her posts about her erotic dreams with Carl.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »

Greg Larson was a lovely guy, I traded music with him, he sent me Beach Boy cassettes and I sent him McCartney CDRs, his computer didn't have a burner, I think he was running something out of the Ark: - ) He loved his waccy-baccy.

I remember Bruce posting on the the Ego Board that he'd just had a royalty check from the recording company for that one hit he'd had, it was for $300,000.00, apparently he had one twice a year and this one was a little more than usual because Manilow had had a greatest hits album out the previous year.

The memory banks are having a poke tonight, it surprising what rubbish is up there.

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

Sorry. Time to call it a night!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:59:52 PM by JS1 » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »

And here I am now, historian, researcher, recognised authority, author and pre-eminent Royal Pain In The Ass.

And not necessarily in that order.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »

I, along with others, can attest to what a good guy Greg was. When I was first getting into The BB's, he sent me a lot of tapes.  To repay him, I found one of the BB's matchbox cars he was missing (sold at Target) and sent it to him. Eventually he ended up asking if it was OK to call and chat-he lived with a woman, but I still got the feeling that he was pretty lonely and most of his friends were online friends-and yeah, he was completely wasted the few times that we talked.  He would talk about his fight with alcohol quite often. He actually made some pretty nice SMiLE shirts-some long sleeved ones, which I still have. Eventually we fell out of touch, and I was really surprised when I found out he passed away. He had this ability to be able to tell you what the date was from any year-like if you said 'In 1965, March 3rd, what was the day?' and he'd be able to answer it in like 5 seconds. It was a strange Rainman thing.

I will tell you this; one of the things he told me when he called me one night was 'Look, Mike is a real asshole. He always likes to screw one of the girls he brings up on stage to dance with. And from what I've heard, Bruce's dick is as big around as a pop can'. I was in stitches.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »

Is it true the oscar winning writer of "Juno" was a member of a beach boys
Board, if so, which one

That's Diablo Cody, who met Jon Hunt on The SMiLE shop board (Jon Hunt and John Lane started the board). They aren't married anymore.

I remember the drama that ensued over Ms. Cody at the Smile Shop before they got married. Wasn't she a stripper? I just remember a lot of dung being flung in different directions and Jon had to take a lot of hits.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »

Amateur stripper, blogged and wrote a book about it. Not exactly shy about posting, uh, candid pics on the blog. Name of p*ssy Ranch.

Dammit, I'm doing it again...  Angry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:25:15 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »

Solo swimming in Cancun before dinner, wife in the hotel. He never came back. They found his body the next day. Heart attack. Very well informed BB super fan. Did not like Alan. Had several "encounters" with him on ME.

Was that 'Alyn' from Australia? Back on the brit board I see.

Another blow-up I remember was Bruce getting upset about a 'Hey Bruce' titled thread being disrespectful. The funniest caption I ever saw (take a bow Karl) being the Reagan/ BB picture with Reagan saying "Which one of you guys f*cked my daughter?" and Mike saying "WE all did!"

Could it work again? The initial attraction for me was being able to 'dip your toes in' so to speak into the message board game anonymously. Many came and went quickly because the water was too deep so never joined officially. If you could laugh at yourself and put your hand up and say "I'm wrong" everyone was pretty forgiving. I do remember a trial where you HAD to register and the number of posts took a dive.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »

The Wheeler board was my first real exposure to all this. Started in the late 90s.

I also posted on the Pet Sounds mailing list and registered for another board or two (pretty sure on I was on the Annie Wallace board for a bit). Never could handle Male Ego, although I visited.

Ultimately spent most of my time at the Smile Shop, and then this place ...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »

Does anyone else here spend any time at the Club Kokomo Lounge Experience forum? OSD hangs out there.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »

Some of the events being mentioned also took place on the Yahoo Groups, which hardly anyone uses at this point. They were quite active around 2001-02-03, then around 2004 most of it went to the boards.

I remember some great conversations on what was essentially a mailing list. Great info. Lot of stuff that didn't make the boards. There was also a neat "chat" feature, and I sat in on only a few of them, most likely with folks here who were known by different names. Made some good online friendships through those lists, i wish I knew what happened to a few of them who it appears simply dropped out of site. Bob Hanes was a regular back in the day.

There was one Yahoo Group that was a Beach Boys offshoot - I can't remember the names but it was a couple running it - and among their members was a veteran of the late 60's and early 70's bubblegum pop studio machine, a musician who wrote and performed some of those bubblegum hits under a variety of group names. I picked his brain for info when I could, and he provided some really cool factoids, most of which I'm afraid I forget or have archived and forget where I stored them.

When Bruce was on that message board, I remember I actually caught up with him posting one night by chance and mentioned a new Nelson Riddle bio that had just been published and also something about how great a record "I Only Have Eyes For You" was, and I remembered Bruce specifically mentioned Riddle's arranging style and the record "I Only Have Eyes For You" as being two of his bigger music influences. I forget his reply but it was neat to see him engaging fans that way, about non-Beach Boys stuff. I always wondered if Bruce ever got around to picking up a copy of that book.

Basically what it seemed to be in retrospect was a bunch of different boards that had their own vibe and feel among the topics and the members, and a lot of the posters and topics simply moved here at some point. I stopped visiting some of the boards because as someone mentioned, more than once I'd get a virus warning from one of the ads the board host would throw at you when you signed on. That was enough of that. It was also a shame to see the Smile Shop implode, I specifically remember being in the middle of a recording project when I was still doing studio work full time, and Michael Vosse was on the board. It just so happened one of the major dramas seemed to erupt at the same time Vosse seemed to be open to fielding questions, and just that quick he was gone. That was unfortunate.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »

There was also one time on what I think was Male Ego but it could have been another board when I saw someone posting and mentioning some areas and locations I knew, and I figured they had to be local to that familiar area. So I posted a reply mentioning a place called "Yocco's" that I thought would ring a bell, but he/they never replied. If it's who I'm thinking it could have been, he still posts here actively but I won't say who unless he mentions it.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »

Bruce & Ego: true story...

Back in the days when people still emailed each other, one day I got one from George, aka Junkstar, Ego operator which said, in essence, "there's a guy just emailed me wanting to register, claims to be Bruce: I was about to tell him to go f*** himself but thought I'd best check with you first - the email is iwritethesongs@aol.com*" So I replied that he could do that if he really wanted to but as it really was Bruce, maybe not the best idea.

About 20 minutes later, another email from Junk: "My blood just ran cold".

Bruce posted for a few months, and when some folk were a little rough with him, gave as good as he got. Stopped posting because the interest faded, or so I recall.

[* no, of course that's not the actual email... sheesh...]

I remember this story, except the email was "Iwritethesongsgrammy1975@aol.com".

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »

Does anyone else here spend any time at the Club Kokomo Lounge Experience forum? OSD hangs out there.

A compelling reason for never visiting, in my book.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2014, 03:35:49 PM »

Solo swimming in Cancun before dinner, wife in the hotel. He never came back. They found his body the next day. Heart attack. Very well informed BB super fan. Did not like Alan. Had several "encounters" with him on ME.

Was that 'Alyn' from Australia? Back on the brit board I see.

No, Alan Jardine, I think. Interesting, mind: since I gave up the adminship of the BBB board back in October last year, pretty much everyone who was barred (and barred by agreement, not just by me) has been reinstated. Which may explain why the board is such a mess these days.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »

The funniest caption I ever saw (take a bow Karl) being the Reagan/ BB picture with Reagan saying "Which one of you guys f*cked my daughter?" and Mike saying "WE all did!"

That's funny!  Grin

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2014, 04:51:46 PM »

Male Ego Board??? I'm sure that was a huge sausagefest. There should be an all-female Beach Boys board for girls like my avatar here.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:20:55 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »

I checked some of the threads and there was no semblance of music discussion beyond "Smile 2004 sucks". Just heated ramblings on Brian's management, some convicted pedophile, and George W. Bush.

It should be brought back. I think it could function as a good quarantine zone for some of the more ludicrous threads here.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »

I checked some of the threads and there was no semblance of music discussion beyond "Smile 2004 sucks". Just heated ramblings on Brian's management, some convicted pedophile, and George W. Bush.

It should be brought back. I think it could function as a good quarantine zone for some of the more ludicrous threads here.

If we ever do that, can the first quarantined thread be that one that pondered, "What if the Beach Boys were actually female?"   LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx