gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680841 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:03:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Male Ego Board  (Read 15276 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »

I think it was Lenz. And it was that story or the one where he died that made the newspapers.  AGD might remember.  He was always holding a McCullough chainsaw in his hands.....

Just found more titbits here that I'd forgotten about.  Lenz actually drowned.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=9016.msg152239;topicseen

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »

Male Ego is my jam. I need to find the single.

There should be a Male Ego revival tribute celebration anniversary board. Does anyone remember the way the board was well enough to replicate it, including the rules, anonymous posting and getting BJ to post there?

The Male Ego board had a similar look and format to the Beach Boys Britain board.It may have even used the same web host, I'm not sure.  It had yellow font on black background, with threads that only ran for a page or two. No archives, topics would just come and go.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »

What was the url for the make ego board, maybe we could use the wayback machine to take a look at it..

http://archive.org/web/

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

Solo swimming in Cancun before dinner, wife in the hotel. He never came back. They found his body the next day. Heart attack. Very well informed BB super fan. Did not like Alan. Had several "encounters" with him on ME.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:47:23 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »

This place is great, but Junkstar, if you're out there, please bring it back.

Ah yes, the good old days.  

Didn't that board morph into the Barnyard message board?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:42:58 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »

Anyone else have a copy of the MALE EGO cd that Junkstar put together?  He gave me a copy in Connecticut, when Boyd, Desper & I appeared at a convention there.  Have to dig that one out, cause I remember I loved it.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »

Anyone else have a copy of the MALE EGO cd that Junkstar put together?  He gave me a copy in Connecticut, when Boyd, Desper & I appeared at a convention there.  Have to dig that one out, cause I remember I loved it.

Ed, do you mean the "Not For Sale II" CD?

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »

What was the url for the make ego board, maybe we could use the wayback machine to take a look at it..

http://archive.org/web/

Memory lane...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040924025628/http://egoboard.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/20060129080338/http://www.egoboard.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=a115324df4803a719750f1eabfa0e88c
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:08:01 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 06:18:25 PM »

Very far out!!! Thank you GV33. I couldn't help but notice that my thread "More Than a Feeling" had almost 5,000 hits. I think it was only second to "Melinda the Model" by Karl, all-time. Anyone remember that one?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »

Very far out!!! Thank you GV33. I couldn't help but notice that my thread "More Than a Feeling" had almost 5,000 hits. I think it was only second to "Melinda the Model" by Karl, all-time. Anyone remember that one?

Those were some crazy, interesting times.  Although I didn't post that regularly on "Ego", it was very entertaining nonetheless.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »

I cringe at some of the stuff written there, especially mine. Somebody wrote this on the thread about the "Best Message Board":

"The Smiley Smile board has the best and most knowledgable debates. They are also generally civil to each other there as well".

Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »

Very cool..

That was a nice looking board. Shame it was before my BB's loving days

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »

Ed, do you mean the "Not For Sale II" CD?

Thanks, David, almost certain that's what I was referring to earlier.  That should make my search a little easier...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »

They must have changed the format at some point. I remember it being a simpler board design that didn't allow for that many pages. With the format they had in the mid-'00s, they may have had to pay hosting charges for that. It might be another reason why it stopped.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »

I remember that it wasn't the 'slanderous' stuff that closed Male Ego in the end. It shut down (maybe for this reason) and went back online, but being a cost-free message board meant that there were all kinds of bot spamming going on, and I mean dozens for thread. Junkstar tried to clean up the threads but soon gave up. And that was that.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

Junk received numerous complaints. Two of the primary complainants will remain nameless. One of the problems was that you could post as a guest, or anonymous, and post personal stuff about people. They were offended and asked Junkstar to shut er down, and he did.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »

Yeah, "Mike's the Greatest" is the best poster name of all time.  Taking the piss out of the Brianistas without saying a word, but then saying many!

It's hazy at this point, but I recall being on the old (Gold?) imagination board and it shut down, then basically everyone either went to "The Cab" ("White board?  Which eventually went through a few permutations finally ending as "Shut Down Volume II -- many good days there as well) or over to Male Ego which Junkstar had then created (Black board as I recall).  I bounced between the two for a while but eventually got tired of people baiting you in the nastiest way for no reason whatsoever other than just to bait you!  Junkstar was very cool though -- I remember him posting that he went to see Mike and Bruce and him and his buddies sat in the front wearing fireman hats.  I thought that was pretty funny.

Where does it go that time thing?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:46:50 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 12:29:36 AM »

April 1 and yes doubted by many at the time but a 'family member' posted how Karl, a regular poster, had died and gave quite a heart felt message about how much he had enjoyed the board and what it had meant to him. Really laid it on thick. Many posters offered messages, as you would, including those who had gone toe to toe with him over various topics.

About a week later he pops up "SURPRISE...April fool!"

Nobody thought it was funny.

I remember that. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember that somebody really did die after that. Was it Karl or somebody else? The person who died never posted again after the announcement of their demise, and I don't think they were banned. The person never showed up on the board again through the end until Junkstar pulled the plug (at the persistent insistence of a couple of Admins I use to know).

Wasn't it Lenz? Bit of a dubious character for real I recall.

Yeah, that was it!  Michael Lenz.  Forgot how he checked out.  Heart attack or something as I recall.

Heart attack while snorkeling on vacation. Unfortunately, given the previous tasteless hoax and Mike's reputation (you couldn't post his name on the original Bloo), a lot of posters, myself included, were dubious, until his wife confirned.

Past boards: you're missing out the American Band MB, which when I started (1998) was simply the best one around, but just faded away as all the good posters moved on.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 01:08:04 AM »

If the Male Ego board were recreated, how many of you would post over there?

I can do it, but it would take *some* effort. Worth doing?

Two Ways Have I
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 03:57:44 AM »

Most definitely.  But it must adhere to the philosophy of Junkstar's Male Ego board i.e. no censorship, anonymous posting allowed, anything goes etc.  Without that USP, it would add little, if anything, to the BB fan experience that isn't already provided for.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 04:15:50 AM »

I don't know, man. As of now, SmileySmile satifies all my BBs board needs. Also, we've got the Sandbox..
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2014, 05:39:46 AM »

I don't know, man. As of now, SmileySmile satifies all my BBs board needs. Also, we've got the Sandbox..
Ten years ago there was a certain rivalry between message boards, and it was more controversial to defend Mike. Male Ego made more sense then.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2014, 07:46:26 AM »

Don't bother

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »

April 1 and yes doubted by many at the time but a 'family member' posted how Karl, a regular poster, had died and gave quite a heart felt message about how much he had enjoyed the board and what it had meant to him. Really laid it on thick. Many posters offered messages, as you would, including those who had gone toe to toe with him over various topics.

About a week later he pops up "SURPRISE...April fool!"

Nobody thought it was funny.

I remember that. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember that somebody really did die after that. Was it Karl or somebody else? The person who died never posted again after the announcement of their demise, and I don't think they were banned. The person never showed up on the board again through the end until Junkstar pulled the plug (at the persistent insistence of a couple of Admins I use to know).

Wasn't it Lenz? Bit of a dubious character for real I recall.

Yeah, that was it!  Michael Lenz.  Forgot how he checked out.  Heart attack or something as I recall.

Was he the one who was arrested? I seem to remember someone with a news story and a absence from the board that coincided with a prison sentence mentioned in the story. Weird sh!t.

God knows how my memory banks have thrown this up but I think the guy that was arrested was a Brian Martin Stark or something close to that. He had a relationship with another blueboarder by the name of Tammy Stinnett (spelling)? who was a friend of the infamous Bluebird. This might help jog someone else's memory...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »

Yes! Stark was suspected of verbally and physically abusing his wife Tammy (a.k.a. Farmer's Daughter). Then she devoted an entire blog in his honor which was equally abusive!

And then there was Barbara (a.k.a. Barbie). A whole other story......

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx