gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:37:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 85521 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »

I'd like you to post quotes on the "...belittles Brian" part of your post. Thank you.

Mike comes across as thinking he and Brian are more equal than they really are when it comes to songwriting. The Beach Boys owe their success to Brian, not gas station employee Mike. He always unproportionally emphasizes his (often small) contributions to the Beach Boys catalogue and 60's achievements. Like coming up with a line based on someone else's bass line, being the positive force in the group, taking what someone else has created and changing some minor things around and present them as your very own.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:46:08 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »

I'd like you to post quotes on the "...belittles Brian" part of your post. Thank you.

Mike comes across as thinking he and Brian are more equal than they really are when it comes to songwriting. The Beach Boys owe their success to Brian, not gas station employee Mike. He always unproportionally emphasizes his (often small) contributions to the Beach Boys catalogue and 60's achievements. Like coming up with a line based on someone else's bass line, being the positive force in the group, taking what someone else has created and change some minor things around and present them as your very own.
None of that "Belittles" Brian. Sorry! Are you OSD's relative? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »

Word - The Beach Boys owe an equal amount of their early success to Gary Usher and Roger Christian.

And there's nothing wrong with putting Mike Love's achievements in perspective.... is there?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »

Mike comes across as thinking he and Brian are more equal than they really are when it comes to songwriting. The Beach Boys owe their success to Brian, not gas station employee Mike. He always unproportionally emphasizes his (often small) contributions to the Beach Boys catalogue and 60's achievements. Like coming up with a line based on someone else's bass line, being the positive force in the group, taking what someone else has created and change some minor things around and present them as your very own.
None of that "Belittles" Brian. Sorry! Are you OSD's relative? Wink

No?

Sure bragging about minor accomplishments and belittles major accomplishments.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »

Please note I am not bashing Mike's actual contributions. But to me it is kinda obvious he has some mental problems. We often talk about Brian's instability over the decades, but Mike is not  sane either.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »

Word - The Beach Boys owe an equal amount of their early success to Gary Usher and Roger Christian.

And there's nothing wrong with putting Mike Love's achievements in perspective.... is there?
Oh come on, they were just riding Brian's coat tails, just like that no-talent lyric writer Mike Love.  Roll Eyes

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »

Funny how Mike waited to sue for song credits once Gary usher and roger Christian were dead....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »

Please note I am not bashing Mike's actual contributions. But to me it is kinda obvious he has some mental problems. We often talk about Brian's instability over the decades, but Mike is not  sane either.
And how is your mental state these days? This is ESQ feedback, not Psych 101.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

Oh come on, they were just riding Brian's coat tails, just like that no-talent lyric writer Mike Love.  Roll Eyes

Compare:

We're always first to hit the lot
And wave to the man in blue now
(Doo run de run de doo run de run de)
It's still so early in the morning
The grass is all covered with dew now
(Doo run de run de doo run de run)

to the Sloop John B backing track. Writing the SJB backing track takes a very smart dude, writing bland lyrics does not. Mike makes himself the most important Beach Boy by shoving Brian aside even though Brian clearly wants to be a Beach Boy again. All because Mike can not handle not being the pivotal figure, due to his disturbed personality.

This is essential: the only way Mike can achieve this is by excluding, eliminating, removing, his competition.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:57:26 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »

There are interviews out there from this year, I believe, that has Mike heaping tons of praise on Roger's lyrics. I never heard him say anything negative about any of Brian's lyricists, except Van Dyke Parks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »

There are interviews out there from this year, I believe, that has Mike heaping tons of praise on Roger's lyrics. I never heard him say anything negative about any of Brian's lyricists, except Van Dyke Parks.

Mike claims he has an "objective" quality that can turn Brian's uncommercial music commercial. He does not. This shows he is deluded and full of himself. When Brian lost his drug battle Mike "mysteriously" stopped writing hit songs as well. Well, how come?

The fact is Brian's melodies and productions made the songs commercial. Mike is not a gifted writer/poet/lyricist/schriftsteller, he is no Leonard Cohen or Federico Garcia Lorca. His lyrics are trite at best. Without Brian's genius productions of the 60's no-one would know Mike even existed. He can not even produce a single song himself.

Like me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:30:03 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2014, 03:25:12 PM »

Come on OSD, stop putting us on. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »

Am I wrong?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »

Am I wrong?
Yes, very wrong, on so many levels. Mike's lyrics on I Get Around, Fun, Fun, Fun and The Warmth Of The Sun are just three titles where the lyrics make the song. Not to mention Good Vibrations, Big Sur and any number of other songs. The Wild Honey album has great lyrics by Mike. As for commercial, everything in a song makes the hit; arranging, hooks, lyrics, voices, instruments. You should know better than use that as your ammunition.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »

Am I wrong?
Yes, very wrong, on so many levels. Mike's lyrics on I Get Around, Fun, Fun, Fun and The Warmth Of The Sun are just three titles where the lyrics make the song. Not to mention Good Vibrations, Big Sur and any number of other songs. The Wild Honey album has great lyrics by Mike. As for commercial, everything in a song makes the hit; arranging, hooks, lyrics, voices, instruments. You should know better than use that as your ammunition.

Well, sure the lyrics are fine, but it might be a bit much to say they make the song. They could be singing gibberish and I would still love "I Get Around". Besides, we don't even know who contributed what when it comes to lyrics. Brian may have contributed more to a song than Mike, rather than what we're always led to believe.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »

Am I wrong?

Basically any words could have been used for the hit songs IGA and FFF. What makes the songs hits are the melodies and the productions. Big Sur is not responsible for Beach Boys' success. I like Big Sur, but compared to hit songs it is not that good.

To sum it up:

Mike is suffering from some form of mental disorder. He feels he has to be the center of attention in concerts, he feels he has to portray himself as more instrumental to the BB success than he really was. BB's popularity spells: Brian's melodies and production. As long as Brian produced new hits for Mike to sing Mike wanted him in the band. Now that Brian has not had a hit for decades he removes him from the BB lineup and puts the limelight on himself. All because he can not stand not being the number 1 person wherever he goes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:54:43 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »

The Wild Honey album has great lyrics by Mike.

And it sold f***-all!

If you want to talk Beach Boys hits, sure - Mike Love has a decent track record (btw putting a word that doesn't exist into the chorus of good vibrations is up for debate). But so do Usher and Christian! Off the top of my head....

Don't Worry Baby? (lots of people's favourite beach boys song of all time, natch)
Little Deuce Coupe?
409? (y'know, that thing that got them writing about cars? Hardly insubstantial, is it?)
In My Room?

We can't deny that Mike Love got a bit better as a writer but it's hardly as if he was Brian's writing messiah until the hits stopped coming in.

Mostly because when Mike became Brian's go-to lyrics man permanently the hits dried up.

If Mike Love was the magic touch, Wild Honey would have murdered the Billboard Charts. BUT IT DIDN'T.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »

Compare:

We're always first to hit the lot
And wave to the man in blue now
(Doo run de run de doo run de run de)
It's still so early in the morning
The grass is all covered with dew now
(Doo run de run de doo run de run)

to the Sloop John B backing track. Writing the SJB backing track takes a very smart dude, writing bland lyrics does not. Mike makes himself the most important Beach Boy by shoving Brian aside even though Brian clearly wants to be a Beach Boy again. All because Mike can not handle not being the pivotal figure, due to his disturbed personality.

This is essential: the only way Mike can achieve this is by excluding, eliminating, removing, his competition.

Those lyrics don't really reflect on Mike's lyric-writing abilities, though, as they were written by Roger Christian.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »

Those lyrics don't really reflect on Mike's lyric-writing abilities, though, as they were written by Roger Christian.

I am sorry about that mistake, but these lyrics are just as generic as Mike's lyrics. My point is still valid.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »

Am I wrong?

Well, sure the lyrics are fine, but it might be a bit much to say they make the song. They could be singing gibberish and I would still love "I Get Around". Besides, we don't even know who contributed what when it comes to lyrics. Brian may have contributed more to a song than Mike, rather than what we're always led to believe.
I've listened to just the tracks of IGA and Funx3 and will go on the record and say neither would have been hits without lyrics. Yes, and we don't know if Mike helped redo sections of songs as they were being written or recorded. What's your point? We are chasing windmills here, don't you think?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2014, 03:56:22 PM »

I'm finding the way this thread has devolved just fascinating.  What began as an interesting discussion about the future editorial direction of ESQ has turned into insane, adolescent-level playground argument about the contributions of two near retirement rock musicians and the possibility that each might be harboring some form of lingering mental issue at their advanced age.   Who gives a damn?  Certainly not the principals involved.  This is a perfect illustration of the phrase "little minds at work."  
Nicko1234
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »

To get back on topic, has it been confirmed whether ESQ will be utilizing Swedish Frog`s writing any time soon?  Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »

To get back on topic, has it been confirmed whether ESQ will be utilizing Swedish Frog`s writing any time soon?  Wink
I'd rather have OSD writing. At least he is consistent in his rape and pillaging of Mike Love. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »

To get back on topic, has it been confirmed whether ESQ will be utilizing Swedish Frog`s writing any time soon?  Wink

That's not the topic, but thanks. If someone wants me to write something I am up for it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:03:38 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »

I'd rather have OSD writing. At least he is consistent in his rape and pillaging of Mike Love. Wink

I am not one-sided, I can see whatever side there is. I am consistent like that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:04:49 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx