gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 05:33:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 133821 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 02, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »

Uncalled for, Mikey.

Didn't mean anything negative about it at all. It's just a fact. If I were there, they wouldn't give me the time of day, even though I've supported the band for 44 years. They aren't dumb; they know who David is. It's good will and it probably came from their hearts. They did the right thing. David came away a very happy man, as he should be. He wrote about his great experience here and will probably write about it in ESQ too and people will read it and think how great the Beach Boys are on a personal level.

Watching that YouTube video of Stamos though. He brings the female audience in, but he's really over the top with his on-stage playing/acting. I can see where this non-Beach Boy non-backing musician would piss people off. Especially the hardcore die-hards.

Yes, it's a fact that I had already stated.

I am unsure at this point if my personal experience with my son has a place in ESQ…still undecided.  I enjoy hearing about any facet of the group's career that makes someone happy…that's usually the music.  I consider myself lucky because I love it all.  Everything from "I Get Around, "Little Girl I Once Knew," Cabin-Essence" (my favorite), "Feel Flows," all of Pet Sounds, "All This Is That"…most everything from Smile…Love You album…"Good Timin'," "Lahaina Aloha," the entire That Lucky Old Sun album…and That's Why God Made The Radio…anything by Dennis.

Point is…that's what drives ESQ.  A true love for the music.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 02, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »

Which is the Beach Boys?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 02, 2014, 05:47:55 PM »

Which is the Beach Boys?

Good point. Stamos isn't a Beach Boy and is not even part of the legacy/brand to have an effect on it. Any legacy denigration would be on the actual Boys but even they couldn't ruin the legacy/brand..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:48:46 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 02, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »

As I said previously, I don't think Stamos is going to affect the legacy of the band, one way or the other. That will rise or fall based on the music. Saying Stamos will have some kind of lasting affect is giving him too much credit.  In a few years, when Mike finally shuts down his touring operation, memories of the concerts will fade and few will remember who John Stamos was. They will, however, still know the music.  Harmony, melody, musical innovation and the pure joy of the music will transcend even the cheese. God Only Knows trumps Uncle Jessie every time.  And If family dysfunction, mental illness, drugs, brawling, gold lame turbans and the Maharishi couldn't torpedo the band's legacy, I seriously doubt a second rate sit com actor can. So,  as far as I'm concerned, if the Mike and Bruce show wants to let Stamos play rock idol, so be it. It annoys me, and I'd skip paying good money to see him; but if they're having fun and the soccer moms enjoy screaming for Stamos, I wish them well.

The C50 was another matter, though. That WAS a legacy tour. The whole purpose was to celebrate 50 years of this band, their incredible music and influence on pop culture. It was classy and a huge cut above the Mike and Bruce touring shows. It was an EVENT with a capital E and just really didn't need to include a hotdogging John Stamos.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 02, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »

Uncalled for, Mikey.

Didn't mean anything negative about it at all. It's just a fact. If I were there, they wouldn't give me the time of day, even though I've supported the band for 44 years. They aren't dumb; they know who David is. It's good will and it probably came from their hearts. They did the right thing. David came away a very happy man, as he should be. He wrote about his great experience here and will probably write about it in ESQ too and people will read it and think how great the Beach Boys are on a personal level.

Watching that YouTube video of Stamos though. He brings the female audience in, but he's really over the top with his on-stage playing/acting. I can see where this non-Beach Boy non-backing musician would piss people off. Especially the hardcore die-hards.

Yes, it's a fact that I had already stated.

I am unsure at this point if my personal experience with my son has a place in ESQ…still undecided.  I enjoy hearing about any facet of the group's career that makes someone happy…that's usually the music.  I consider myself lucky because I love it all.  Everything from "I Get Around, "Little Girl I Once Knew," Cabin-Essence" (my favorite), "Feel Flows," all of Pet Sounds, "All This Is That"…most everything from Smile…Love You album…"Good Timin'," "Lahaina Aloha," the entire That Lucky Old Sun album…and That's Why God Made The Radio…anything by Dennis.

Point is…that's what drives ESQ.  A true love for the music.

Dave, I'd put that experience in there for sure. That's a once in a lifetime deal. Down the road your son will see it in writing and appreciate the memory one more time. Essential reading for the fans too, I'd say. I wouldn't mind seeing my experience meeting Brian in one of those issues either!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »

If anyone here ever wonders why we don't get cool archival releases-- just look at Stamos.

You lost me on that one.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »

bwahahahaha

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 02, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »

If anyone here ever wonders why we don't get cool archival releases-- just look at Stamos.

You lost me on that one.
The hate for this guy on stage supersedes all common sense. What can I say?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 02, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »

Well, we've had many archival releases throughout the time Stamos has been associated with The Beach Boys.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 02, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »

All of the archival releases have come since Stamos started appearing with the band in1985.   Coincidence?
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 02, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »

Well, we've had many archival releases throughout the time Stamos has been associated with The Beach Boys.

I think showing the two shots of the Beach Boys on stage to make a point is misguided…like driving off into a ditch.

Has there ever been an actual live Beach Boys album with Stamos on the cover?  No.  The stripe shirt imagery picture is what was used for the 1964 Concert LP, and the live picture with John has never been a part of any marketed BB product.  The dots don't connect…no matter how hard you try.

Let' shift this conversation back to music.  I suppose that needs to be in another thread.  

One last statement on John Stamos—
He mailed me the 1993 Red Barn rehearsals that resulted in the box set tour (back in 1999).  Why?  One reason…we both LOVE the music.  How's that for cool?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 02, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »

All of the archival releases have come since Stamos started appearing with the band in1985.   Coincidence?

Nah, CATP came out in 1972  ( Pet Sounds was from the archives, yes? )
WAY before Stamos. 

I think showing the two shots of the Beach Boys on stage to make a point is misguided…like driving off into a ditch.

Has there ever been an actual live Beach Boys album with Stamos on the cover?  No.  The stripe shirt imagery picture is what was used for the 1964 Concert LP, and the live picture with John has never been a part of any marketed BB product.  The dots don't connect…no matter how hard you try.

Let' shift this conversation back to music.  I suppose that needs to be in another thread.  

One last statement on John Stamos—
He mailed me the 1993 Red Barn rehearsals that resulted in the box set tour (back in 1999).  Why?  One reason…we both LOVE the music.  How's that for cool?

Cool is when you mail them to everyone else on this list that wants them! 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 02, 2014, 07:15:55 PM »

Yes.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 02, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »

Yeah, John even got Brian to appear on "Full House" with the band, that's how bad it got.
Exactly. He wasn't that much on it though, to be fair:

Regardless of the reality of the episode, I'd like to pretend Brian spent the whole time trying to hide behind Al to avoid being seen on camera, with the result a physical comedy gem. Either Brian has to duck or Al needs a taller hat.

LOL!

Brian:  Hidey ho, there neighbor.

I mean, they were Wilson's cousins.  Oops. Wrong sit-com.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 02, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »

You lost me on that one.

So exactly where did I mention hate? I say enough stuff that people can pick on, why make up new stuff?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 02, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »

can we please stop being raging assholes to one another?

I second that.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:53:52 PM by Andy Botwin » Logged

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: August 02, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 02, 2014, 07:56:38 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 02, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »

Ontor is king! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 02, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »

As a fan, Stamos being there just makes me feel awkward and I find it embarrassing, just as the cheerleaders did, just as when they have  girls dance on stage to Barbara Ann and Scott plays the guitar over one of them now.  But I realize for others they enjoy him there and those things so that's fine. I'm not going to tell anyone how to be a fan.

It is hard for me to believe however that John Stamos was all about promoting Dennis and doing in something in tribute to Dennis by doing Forever.  I say this because at no point on that show, or in the video, or did he OR the group ever say it was a Dennis song, it's dedicated to Dennis or anything. In fact, viewers are led to believe STAMOS WROTE THE SONG repeatedly on the show. I have had to constantly explain this to people that John Stamos did not write that song. You pay tribute to someone by noting it somehow! That was wrong.  He and the group ( especially Carl)  deserve criticism for that. Now they mention Dennis, because it's cool to be a Dennis fan, post Jon's book, post POB rerelease etc. For this reason, Stamos will not get my personal respect.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 02, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »

You lost me on that one.

So exactly where did I mention hate? I say enough stuff that people can pick on, why make up new stuff?
Hate is a strong word. You dislike Stamos ON STAGE. Just in case you didn't get it the first time around. I didn't mean personally. Now, I think I'm done with this thread. Like most threads in here, nobody's mind is changed no matter what is said on either side of the debate. It's just another beat a dead horse thread. Goodnight, and sleep tight. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 02, 2014, 08:54:36 PM »

As a fan, Stamos being there just makes me feel awkward and I find it embarrassing, just as the cheerleaders did, just as when they have  girls dance on stage to Barbara Ann and Scott plays the guitar over one of them now.  But I realize for others they enjoy him there and those things so that's fine. I'm not going to tell anyone how to be a fan.

It is hard for me to believe however that John Stamos was all about promoting Dennis and doing in something in tribute to Dennis by doing Forever.  I say this because at no point on that show, or in the video, or did he OR the group ever say it was a Dennis song, it's dedicated to Dennis or anything. In fact, viewers are led to believe STAMOS WROTE THE SONG repeatedly on the show. I have had to constantly explain this to people that John Stamos did not write that song. You pay tribute to someone by noting it somehow! That was wrong.  He and the group ( especially Carl)  deserve criticism for that. Now they mention Dennis, because it's cool to be a Dennis fan, post Jon's book, post POB rerelease etc. For this reason, Stamos will not get my personal respect.

Might want to rewatch those episodes: http://youtu.be/_b-cdIjmv-M?t=2m11s
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »

For the anti-Stamos crowd:

I think he's been reading this thread or has heard about it. I also think because of it, he's upped his game a little. Kinda like........keep talkin' sh*t about me but it doesn't mean anything to me or the band. I don't see much wrong with him in this clip in sync with Cowsill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25N1d_q830&feature=youtube_gdata

I should have been here last night. David Marks was a surprise guest (damn!) and I'm a little surprised Stamos was there too. Looks like it was a good Mike & Bruce show. Looks like Bruce's keyboard has been moved more over to the front of the stage and he's more active. Check out his version of God Only Knows. Bruce is earning his keep! And Cowsill up front singing Rhonda.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:41:10 PM by Mikie » Logged

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 02, 2014, 09:06:41 PM »

In fact, viewers are led to believe STAMOS WROTE THE SONG

Really? Not according the actual dialogue from the show.

http://youtu.be/Zt1whEyVGKE

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 02, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »

If I am in the role of bad-guy brianista, so be it.  Wink

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx