gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:53:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 133720 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »

Does anyone seriously think Nelson would have pulled that post with a polite private message from John Cowsill?  I don't.  I doubt he's friends with John or has any regard whatsoever for members of the touring Beach Boys, hence the snide remark about golfing buddies. I doubt Nelson is the type to back down from things, given his "eat s*** and die" posts below that one. But John's remarks (which he edited) may have prompted Nelson to take the post down.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »

Ask young people (non music majors) how they came to know the BB music.  Guess what! Full House! It was like a cult for that generation.  
That's a crock. Everybody would believe they were a fictional band devised for the show if that were the case. People know BB from radio, commercials, and films. Full House is a centerpiece in pop cheese that drag the BB down to its level 'forever'.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »

Mike's the leader

Not on the C50 he wasn't. Very much a shared deal with Brian.

And Stamos never showed up again on that tour, either ...
Beacon Theater C50 was early May and Stamos did the Jones Beach intro around the 22nd of June a month later.  

He did more than handle the "intro" at Jones Beach, and as I noted earlier, Nelson seemed more than a little peeved at John that night when he had some issues with the drums on "I Get Around".

Here's I Get Around from that show, by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8b4Bh9q40w
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »

Ask young people (non music majors) how they came to know the BB music.  Guess what! Full House! It was like a cult for that generation.  
That's a crock. Everybody would believe they were a fictional band devised for the show if that were the case. People know BB from radio, commercials, and films. Full House is a centerpiece in pop cheese that drag the BB down to its level 'forever'.

Baywatch, full house, Kokomo, santas going to Kokomo

Most of The beach boys embarrassments are self inflicted. Stamos is a fan, a big one.. I don't blame him for playing with his favourite band or wanting to cover a song he really likes.

Stamos's hands are clean on this one

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »

John is a great singer - I'm glad he was able to rise to the occasion and save the day.

No, Saving the Day is a job for Mighty Mouse or the Powerpuff Girls.

Stamos just sux. May Denny's ghost haunt him down if he pulled hanky panky with the video.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »

Maybe Stamos stole his chick.

Why would he lash out so long after the fact?

Maybe he just read the (relatively) recent profile of Stamos in Guitar Aficionado? Or saw the TMZ coverage about the Manson claim?
Please, what TMZ coverage about the Manson claim?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

TV is scripted and contrived. But it was a hit and continues in syndication. Check out Nick stations.  Half dozen shows a day twenty years after the fact.  Pop cheese that is still part of the steady global diet, dubbed and subtitled in about twenty languages.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »

Maybe Stamos stole his chick.

Why would he lash out so long after the fact?

Maybe he just read the (relatively) recent profile of Stamos in Guitar Aficionado? Or saw the TMZ coverage about the Manson claim?
Please, what TMZ coverage about the Manson claim?

TMZ's recent interview with noted Manson expert, John Stamos:
http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/22/john-stamos-charles-manson-beach-boys-video/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »

Pop cheese that is still part of the steady global diet, dubbed and subtitled in about twenty languages.

That sentence is giving me indigestion right now.  Cheesy

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2014, 06:49:53 PM »

A lot of fuss about nothing...

When I read the thread title I was expecting it to be about much more serious issues.

Stamos singing half a song two years ago is of no importance anymore and Nelson can`t have been thinking straight when he made his post.

I know misspellings and crazy punctuation and grammar are par for the course on facebook and the like, those things do tend to undercut the credibility of what's being said.

A much more cogent argument that would have allowed for no accusations to be made would have been preferable. A strong case can be made that Stamos is a "douche", or that jumping on stage is a douche maneuver.

But unless there is proof or at least some more specifics about what happened, the post does come across like it was written as a crackpot conspiracy theory. As someone else mentioned, how would this have occurred? Would he have had to go pull some cables out of the mixing board, or be in cahoots with someone on the crew? Far from impossible, but it would take a lot of maneuvering.

On the other hand, it's kind of a heavy accusation to make if he didn't know anything more than what the fans know, and he's just assuming. As others have mentioned, it does seem pretty darn coincidental that the one song Stamos sings on stage with the band malfunctioned on the specific night Stamos was in attendance.

As someone else also mentioned, the semi-dig at other band members is intriguing.

Congratulations Beach Boys. Now the dysfunction has spread from you to your fans and now to your backing band members.

What does Ed Carter have to say about all of this?  LOL

Well, considering "Forever" is one of two songs where there COULD have been a malfunction, it's no longer that coincidental. It's just a one in two chance.

I find it a little strange that folks are acting like Stamos ran up from the crowd to steal the thunder on "Forever." He already was supposed to be part of the show that night, just not on that song. It might not have been "within his right" to run out on stage to finish the song, but if it's not, it's pretty confusing that a guy can drum on "Be True To Your School" but not sing when no one else has taken the reins.

Mike's the leader

Not on the C50 he wasn't. Very much a shared deal with Brian.

And Stamos never showed up again on that tour, either ...

Yes, but he showed up in the first place. Which may have been with the agreement of Brian, or at least due to Brian not objecting.

I do recall reading that Stamos withdrawing from the tour was by his own choice. He said he didn't feel welcome, which may have had something to do with his being aware of what fans in places like this were saying about him. It could have been members of Brian's band giving him the stinkeye. I doubt Brian himself said anything, since he's notoriously non-confrontational.

I think C50 was great without Stamos, and it probably would have been great with him too. I find it a little odd that Brian's band members, who have never been part of The Beach Boys any more than Stamos has, should have say whether or not he performs on stage.

Obviously they had a problem with him in one way or another, since Nelson doesn't like him very much. But he's on a Beach Boys album and he's been touring with them for 24 more years than Nelson or any of Brian's band members.

Stamos did a "cover" of "Forever" and knew the words. If there was shenanigans about Dennis' vocals going out, that's pretty crappy. But if he really did jump in when it malfunctioned, then this is much ado about nothing.

I also don't know how he would have forced the vocals to malfunction, unless he ran down to the soundbooth and pulled a cord.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2014, 06:50:29 PM »

newsjunkie69   

I want a John Stamos creampie.
7 days ago

Dedicated fan.

Necessity knows no law
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »

Can anyone summarize what Cowsill said?

Yes, please. I missed this whole thing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »

He commented twice:
[deleted]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:39:24 PM by The Real Jarhead » Logged

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »

The original version of the second line was a lot longer and a lot worse, but John C. quickly thought better of it and changed it. I hope no one reposts it here, but sends a PM instead if they want to fill in the blanks. I don't think Nelson needs to have that re-posted publicly, and I'm sure John regrets posting it, too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »

^Agreed. I would like to know via PM, but please don't repost it on the board.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »

^Agreed. I would like to know via PM, but please don't repost it on the board.

Seconded on both accounts.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:35:25 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »

I came late to this party, apparently. It's too bad the two bands are taking snipes at each other this way. I hope Nelson doesn't wind up in trouble. He's a talented musician and I always enjoy watching him on stage. I also like Cowsill as a drummer, and I'm glad I missed his comments if they were as bad as people say.

I don't dislike Stamos, but I don't particularly like his pretending to be a Beach Boy.  I have to say, when the malfunction incident was first reported, it seemed odd to me that the one song Stamos is associated with was the one song that had problems on the one night he was there. Having done live shows with integrated technology, I know that there is always a back up plan in the very likely event that the technology fails. I just have a hard time believing the only back up plan for the C50 was to hope John Stamos was there to sing the song.  I wouldn't go so far as to accuse him of sabotage, but I don't think it was his place to just run out and take charge of any moment on that stage.  The decision about what to do should have rested with whomever was acting as stage manager. Totten or Mertens, or whatever. If the stage manager had assessed the situation and called him in, that would be just fine. Otherwise, I think he overstepped his place as a guest of the band.

The sad thing, to me, is that "Forever" was supposed to be Dennis'  moment in the band he helped found. That night it was all about Stamos.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »

It's interesting to read the viewer comments on the actual video of the performance from YouTube, right after it was posted it seems some were skeptical...two years before this thread.

Just consider how many musicians and techs not named Wilson, Love, Jardine, Marks, or Stamos were involved that night. Due to professional reasons I'm sure not one wants to touch this with a ten foot pole.  

The band or at least the drum section would most likely have been playing to a click track, having to sync up with the video for the parts where Dennis is "singing", right? They'd have the click and at least Dennis' vocal and perhaps some additional tracks playing in their ear so the video stayed as close as possible with the live band and live vocals being performed.

I'm just wondering how and why it worked out so the video feed crapped out, which would mean whatever was syncing with the audio tracks containing Denny's voice must have gone down too for this to happen...if it were just the video feed going down, you'd  still have the click track and the audio feed going unless it was all on one source, like pressing play on a DVD and that's it. If the video feed crapped out, you'd still have the audio and Denny's voice going to the house and the musicians' monitors. The musicians would have noticed right away if they lost their audio feeds right? It would have had to be a total tech failure which brought the entire thing down at once, video/audio/sync...the whole shebang. Does it look like that's what happened?

Just trying to figure out what the hell actually happened. I had never actually seen that video until tonight.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »

It's interesting to read the viewer comments on the actual video of the performance from YouTube, right after it was posted it seems some were skeptical...two years before this thread.

Just consider how many musicians and techs not named Wilson, Love, Jardine, Marks, or Stamos were involved that night. Due to professional reasons I'm sure not one wants to touch this with a ten foot pole.  

The band or at least the drum section would most likely have been playing to a click track, having to sync up with the video for the parts where Dennis is "singing", right? They'd have the click and at least Dennis' vocal and perhaps some additional tracks playing in their ear so the video stayed as close as possible with the live band and live vocals being performed.

I'm just wondering how and why it worked out so the video feed crapped out, which would mean whatever was syncing with the audio tracks containing Denny's voice must have gone down too for this to happen...if it were just the video feed going down, you'd  still have the click track and the audio feed going unless it was all on one source, like pressing play on a DVD and that's it. If the video feed crapped out, you'd still have the audio and Denny's voice going to the house and the musicians' monitors. The musicians would have noticed right away if they lost their audio feeds right? It would have had to be a total tech failure which brought the entire thing down at once, video/audio/sync...the whole shebang. Does it look like that's what happened?

Just trying to figure out what the hell actually happened. I had never actually seen that video until tonight.
It is interesting that you mention the failure of video feed.  I was at a show with the Touring Band last fall, where the only video feed that failed was Carl from Knebworth for God Only Knows.  The audience was prepped that it was a tape of Carl.  And it is the only time I've seen this happen.  Sabotage ? No. It just happened.  The music was enough for the outdoor audience.  The only light had been coming from the outdoor video screens.  Darkness and GOK.  Tribute footage that failed. It wasn't C50.  And Stamos wasn't there.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

It is interesting that you mention the failure of video feed.  I was at a show with the Touring Band last fall, where the only video feed that failed was Carl from Knebworth for God Only Knows.  The audience was prepped that it was a tape of Carl.  And it is the only time I've seen this happen.  Sabotage ? No. It just happened.  The music was enough for the outdoor audience.  The only light had been coming from the outdoor video screens.  Darkness and GOK.  Tribute footage that failed. It wasn't C50.  And Stamos wasn't there.

What you describe is almost exactly my question. Less technically, when you witnessed the video feed fail, was Carl's voice still heard singing the lead vocal as the band "backed" him live?

If so, that's the scenario I'm curious about - It would suggest Denny's vocal track would have still been audible on Forever, as the audio feed ostensibly would have kept playing both in house and in the band monitors no matter what happened to the video being projected.

Was Carl's voice still audible on GOK?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »

Stamos fired a single shot from the sixth floor of the beacon setlist depository into the channel strip containing the vocal tracks to forever . Case closed.

There was a second shooter

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »

What you describe is almost exactly my question. Less technically, when you witnessed the video feed fail, was Carl's voice still heard singing the lead vocal as the band "backed" him live?

If so, that's the scenario I'm curious about - It would suggest Denny's vocal track would have still been audible on Forever, as the audio feed ostensibly would have kept playing both in house and in the band monitors no matter what happened to the video being projected.

Yes, moving, magnificent and all in the darkness.  When a glitch becomes a blessing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »

Yes, moving, magnificent and all in the darkness.  When a glitch becomes a blessing.

So the video failed, yet Carl's pre-recorded lead vocal audio track which the band was sync'ed with was still audible.

In the case of Forever, that didn't seem to have been the case as Dennis' pre-recorded vocal track disappeared after the first few lines.

Chirpeep
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »

Baywatch, full house, Kokomo, santas going to Kokomo

Most of The beach boys embarrassments are self inflicted. Stamos is a fan, a big one.. I don't blame him for playing with his favourite band or wanting to cover a song he really likes.

Stamos's hands are clean on this one

I agree. He's a good guy. I met him for the first time yesterday and was floored at how polite he was and how much he loves the band.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx