gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:33:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's OK appreciation thread  (Read 11472 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:40:44 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »

Yeah, what a great song!

Fun is in
It's no sin
It's that time again
To shed your load
Hit the road
On the run again
Summer skies
In our eyes
And a warmer sun
It's one for all
All for one
All for all out fun

I actually prefer the slightly sped up 45 rpm single version - it just seems to have even more energy.

Back when the song was released in 1976 Dennis' Find a Ride tag really irritated me, as I thought it sounded like some old guy with a croaking voice that didn't seem to fit the youthful exuberance of the rest of the song.  But for many years now the tag seems to fit perfectly and It's OK is a song I still love to blast out, whether at home or in the car.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »

IN THE SHADE LEMONADE

Mike's vocal kinda grates me on that bit.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:34:17 PM »

HOW COME, everytime a Mike Love fan wants to have a good time, another sect of Beach Boy fan's gotta come in an' ruin it! I for one adore Mike's phrasing in that moment specifically and was about to comment thusly.

Also the MiC mix has that super cool organ intro. That bit makes the song 2X better.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:40:18 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »

IN THE SHADE LEMONADE

Mike's vocal kinda grates me on that bit.
Your school isn't great.
Better than yours.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:39:56 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »

The performance from the 1976 special is pretty awesome.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZmNSWxi1iI

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:14:33 PM »

I love the single version (the one on GH3:BOTBY). Probably one of the most frequently used songs on my mix CDs.

Also, I love it when it is performed live as part of the opening set, usually sandwiched in between Hawaii and Summer means fun. It's usually oriented at a faster tempo, much like the single version. But when it is performed on its own, like during the c50 shows, it kind of lacked energy because the tempo was slowed down a bit, like the album version.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »

I love this tune.  I wish there was more of this in '76.  This was the last great -- and true -- era of the Beach Boys.  Mid to late 70s.  Wish there was more.

I love the tailored jump-suit image, Hal   LOL

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »

This was my JAM! the year I graduated!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:56:24 PM »

Mike dancing on the edge of self parody, but miraculously never crossing the line. A great track that suggests an entirely different route for the band.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:39:19 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 12:10:02 AM »

I've always heard "fun to rock" instead of "find a ride". Hm.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »

Totally Bitchin'

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 12:31:27 AM »

I've always heard "fun to rock" instead of "find a ride". Hm.

Ha ! I've always heard "fun to ride".  Grin  Great song... if only they'd released it in 1975.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 01:09:52 AM »

F*cking great song. Underrated as hell.  Mike sounds nasally cool plus Denny's tag is just pure awesomeness. It's OK = as good as Do It Again.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 01:43:40 AM »

Yeah it's a fun-in-the-sun kind of 60s nostalgia but it works for me because the enjoyment feels so genuine. In contrast, something like the retro-kicks on Goin to the Beach seems a cynical and tired retread.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:56:35 AM »

One of their better fun-in-the-sun tracks - but better than what comes afterwards (i.e. the sh*t on MIU). It's... okay.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 04:45:01 AM »

It's OK is merely OK.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 05:14:45 AM »

Naah, I *always* liked this one. Listening to 15 Big Ones for the first time (in about 1998) was a major downer for me... it seemed so shopworn compared to some of their other albums, the inspiration spread so thinly. But this one was one of the few tracks where I felt they were firing on all cylinders.

I've always liked it - just a great pop tune, superbly delivered. And as Bean says above, it's one of the last tracks released where a Beach Boys tune in any way resembles the feel and sheer joie de vivre of their early 60s output. After this, it's a long, strange ride out into the realms of the good-but-odd (Adult Child/Love You) or the bland MOR snoozefest that is, for me, their late 70s output, with just a couple of exceptions like Baby Blue. And then it's a long slow curve down the U-bend to the nether realms of Wipe Out! with the Fat Boys and Fun Fun Fun with Status Quo (weeps softly into sleeve)...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »

F*cking great song. Underrated as hell.  Mike sounds nasally cool plus Denny's tag is just pure awesomeness. It's OK = as good as Do It Again.

Actually, I find it better than DIA. I think the production values have something to do with this - DIA sounds a bit muffled to these ears, in comparison with 'It's OK'.

It's crisp, the 'Find A Ride' 'tag' (hm, that's understating it a bit) is a superb find, and Roy Wood's sax is another fine idea. Not for one moment does it sound outdated, or merely nostalgic.

Together with 'Just Once In My Life', it constitutes the finest performance(s) on 15BO.

Upshot: the very inspired cover and the lovely new track gave me real hope; that our boys found new options, new directions. To follow for, oh, the next decade, or longer.

Then came the quirky, cultish classic that is Love You, and hope continued.

But their style changed with MIU, although 'My Diane' is fantastic. L.A. had its moments too, but was unforgiveably marred by 'Here Comes The Night'. Had they done four new songs instead of that abomination, the LP could have been like Sunflower.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »

While we're on the subject of It's OK... I've occasionally wondered whether some of the lyrics are the result of Brian's mid-70s Landy therapy - but that's pure speculation on my part. In Brian's utterly discredited 'autobiography', 'he' (I know, I know... it's really Todd Gold/Landy) talked about 'Gene' getting Brian to write songs about ANYTHING during this period, just to get his creative juices flowing again. When I first read that, I assumed that's how we got great, uh, 'insightful' lines from round this time, like 'a cigarette butt when you throw it in the water goes phut', 'It's three o'clock, I go to my sink, I pour some milk and I start to think', the start of 'Still I Dream Of It' which *still* basically begins with Brian in bed waiting impatiently for his home-help to finish cooking him his dinner, and songs about Johnny Carson and chatting to a random woman on an aeroplane.

Think none of this applies to 'It's OK'? I mean, surely, it's about the opposite of how Brian was at this time, going out for lots of summer fun and maybe meeting new partners? Classic 'Spring Vacation'-style Mike Love on autopilot, isn't it? Well, yeeess... but consider also these lines:

It's OK to get out there and
Have some fun
By yourself maybe
Or else with a special one.
Good or bad
Glad or sad
I'ts all gonna pass
So it's OK
Let's all play
And enjoy it while it lasts

Gotta go to it
Gonna go through it
Gotta get with it

Like I said, maybe it's just me, but I've always wondered if those words were Brian's exhortation to himself, to get out there and do more after being locked away in his house for months. And reminding himself that he had to do it, even if he didn't really want to. Plus, it seems to me there's an edge to those words, an awareness that the fun is finite and should be enjoyed before it slips away, that seems much more 'Brian' than 'Mike' - if that makes sense.

I like this alternative interpretation, as it adds another layer of meaning to the lyrics for me, whether it's true or not.

Probably just me reading things in that aren't there, mind... perhaps Mike suddenly wrote the whole lot out on a yellow legal pad five minutes before the lead vocal sessions started, while chugging on a root beer and scoffing chilli dogs...!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:39:20 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »

"It's O.K." is the last Beach Boys song that can be described as anthemic. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 05:36:29 AM »

Love "It's OK". I think it's a perfect example of the type of song(s) that the group expected from Brian when he "came back". I was always curious how "It's OK" would've charted if it was released BEFORE "Rock And Roll Music". I hear a lot of Marilyn in the backgrounds and the song makes me think how, around that time, she was really trying to save Brian, her marriage maybe, her life.

Does anybody know the answer to this question...On the 1976 NBC-TV Special, when the group performs "It's OK", they sing the lyrics "gotta get with it, gotta go through it, gotta go to it", inverting the lyrics from the recorded song. Why did they do this and did they sing it that way all the time in those 1976 concerts? I mean, it's not like the song wasn't already recorded and they were singing an earlier unrecorded version.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx