gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:37:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue - Original vs Reissue  (Read 19655 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »

I've been looking for a copy of POB for a while, and no store has a copy. Everyone says "Sorry, those are moved really quickly...but I have promo/signed/gold-plated copy at home!"

So I'm just gonna order a copy from the internets, the question is though, do I get a 2010 single LP reissue (not the 3-LP Caribou set for my life's savings) or do I go for an original copy?

Thanks for your advice friendly Smiley Smile board member  Love

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:44:11 PM »

I cant say anything about the 'music on vinyl' release a couple or so years back (the single lp edition)......

nor at this point have an original copy to compare to......BUT

but I can tell you the triple album (on blue vinyl) with the original caribou label is outstanding.....

quality is really great, the presentation is outstanding.....

when opened up, the 3 lp shows the complete front cover of Dennis...... I believe he is standing up....

in other words, you don't just get the headshot.......

there is lots of information, and its a splendid release.....

RickB

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »

Get both!   Grin

Personally, I'd go the original in EX condition with the inserts intact, or the (as you've said, now elusive) 3 LP set - copies of which may re-surface over time (guessing).

This is because the original pressings will become scarce as the years pass - where as there will always be the chance of picking up the recent reissues or chance of future reissues in your future.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »

Alan is indeed right...

I only have the 3 Lp issue and I have not yet to find the original in Ex to Mint condition at an affordable price........

but however Alan, the 3 Lp at times is 'selling' at large amounts to what I originally purchased mine for........ just sayin eh?

both is a must, as the 3 Lp offers more material....... but it would also be nice to know you have the 'original' press in your collection.....

RickB
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:02:08 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »

but however Alan, the 3 Lp at times is 'selling' at large amounts to what I originally purchased mine for........ just sayin eh?

RickB

Hey Rick - totally agree with you that right now the POB 3-set price has gone gang-busters price-wise; I was angling that over time, should more 2nd hand copies turn-up or reduced demand causing saturation might bring the prices down a bit; who knows...

How about the prices for a copy of BWPS vinyl these days - sheee-it!

While the internet has made it easier to get a-hold of stuff, it certainly reduces a poor boy's ability to chance upon the good stuff at reasonable prices.

Can any generous Smilers spare a 3-set for Woodstock?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »

I'm guessing that only the vinyls will work, and not the CD sets?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »

I was looking around today - $70 minimum.

I don't NEED a 3-set. I'd prefer one but I can't afford it.

Yes  Grin

Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering an original press as soon as I find a good deal  angel

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »

You're out of touch, dude - CD's are redundant grandpa technology, now superceded by Spotify and the emerging vinyl format

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »

You're out of touch, dude - CD's are redundant grandpa technology, now superceded by Spotify and the emerging vinyl format

Thanxx, I'll try to keep that in mind

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »

I don't NEED a 3-set. I'd prefer one but I can't afford it.

Can you do $46?  I know where you can get the 3LP for that.  I wouldn't expect to find an original or the 2010 record for less than $30 so I'd go for it personally.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »

This discussion reminds me: I have an in store hanging mobile based on the album cover (fully folded). There are smaller photos on one side with a bit of text as to release label etc. Anyone have an idea how rare this is?
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 03:54:58 PM »

I have the POB CD which also includes the Bambu tracks - I really like that 3 LP set though!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »

While the internet has made it easier to get a-hold of stuff, it certainly reduces a poor boy's ability to chance upon the good stuff at reasonable prices.

Not to mention the price of a signed copy of same Shocked

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 01:04:20 AM »

Get both!   Grin

Personally, I'd go the original in EX condition with the inserts intact, or the (as you've said, now elusive) 3 LP set - copies of which may re-surface over time (guessing).

This is because the original pressings will become scarce as the years pass - where as there will always be the chance of picking up the recent reissues or chance of future reissues in your future.

One of my luckiest LP hauls occurred in 1990 when I received a tip-off from a local record shop owner (thanks Warwick!) that a copy of POB was stashed away in a record bin at the nearby second-hand shop. Sure enough, there it was waiting for me, along with a vinyl copy of CATP!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »

This discussion reminds me: I have an in store hanging mobile based on the album cover (fully folded). There are smaller photos on one side with a bit of text as to release label etc. Anyone have an idea how rare this is?

Dennis Wilson items in my possession:

1. Multiple copies of Dennis Wilson POB album released in 1977
2. Multiple copies of Dennis Wilson POB white-labelled promo albums released in 1977
3. River Song vinyl single w/picture sleeve (1977)
4. River Song vinyl EP w/Caribou artists (1977)
5. POB 8-track tape
6. POB, 1991 CD Reissue
7. POB, 2008 2-CD Reissue
8. Dennis Wilson press kit, Caribou.
9. Copies of POB album cover, used to promote album in record stores (1977)
10. Large door-sized Dennis Wilson POB promo poster (1977)
11. Dennis Wilson POB promo poster (1977)
12. Dennis Wilson POB coffee cup, white (1977)
13. Dennis Wilson POB balloon, green w/white print, unused (1977)
14. Dennis Wilson POB promo button (1977)
15. Dennis Wilson drumstick (busted)
16. Numerous Dennis Wilson bootlegs, vinyl and CD.
17. MIA - Dennis Wilson Bash items (poster) from Chez Jay's in 2003.

BUT.  I have never seen a POB mobile, either in a store as a promo or at record swap meets, up for auction in Goldmine/Discoveries,
or on Ebay. I have the Beach Boys 15 Big Ones and Love You mobiles, but not a POB mobile.  Is your mobile the same size as the
Beach Boys mobiles designed by Dean Torrence, or is it actually a POB album cover suspended by a string(s)? If it's a real mobile, I'd
think you have a rare item there, Moger Fooger!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:46:21 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »

It seems like the original POB on vinyl is not that hard to come by. I remember when the white-labelled promos were ubiquitous in used record stores. There were a TON of them.

By far the rarest Dennis Wilson item now is the 1991 CD resissue of the POB album.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »

2. Multiple copies of Dennis Wilson POB white-labelled promo albums released in 1977
5. POB, 1991 CD Reissue
6. POB, 2008 2-CD Reissue
7. Dennis Wilson press kit, Caribou.
8. Copies of POB album cover, used to promote album in record stores (1977)
9. Large door-sized Dennis Wilson POB promo poster (1977)
10. Dennis Wilson POB promo poster (1977)
11. Dennis Wilson POB coffee cup, white (1977)
12. Dennis Wilson POB balloon, green w/white print, unused (1977)
13. Dennis Wilson POB promo button (1977)
14. Dennis Wilson drumstick (busted)
15. Numerous Dennis Wilson bootlegs, vinyl and CD.
16. MIA - Dennis Wilson Bash items (poster) from Chez Jay's in 2003.

BUT.  I have never seen a POB mobile, either in a store as a promo or at record swap meets, up for auction in Goldmine/Discoveries,
or on Ebay. I have the Beach Boys 15 Big Ones and Love You mobiles, but not a POB mobile.  Is your mobile the same size as the
Beach Boys mobiles designed by Dean Torrence, or is it actually a POB album cover suspended by a string(s)? If it's a real mobile, I'd

That's a great list of stuff Mikie!  
When you say Door Sized ( # 9 ) are you saying it's something like 3 feet wide by 6-7 feet tall?   Never seen one of those, if so! Where'd it originate?  

It seems like the original POB on vinyl is not that hard to come by. I remember when the white-labelled promos were ubiquitous in used record stores. There were a TON of them.

By far the rarest Dennis Wilson item now is the 1991 CD resissue of the POB album.

I'd venture that the First POB promos with the written covers( signed by Dennis) would probably be as rare as the 1991 CD resissue;  
AND: someone posted  a pic of their POB test pressing on Facebook recently. It's the 1st one I've ever seen. It's probably rarer than the 91 CD, but not that important here....
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:17:01 AM by bgas » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »

Get both!   Grin

One of my luckiest LP hauls occurred in 1990 when I received a tip-off from a local record shop owner (thanks Warwick!) that a copy of POB was stashed away in a record bin at the nearby second-hand shop. Sure enough, there it was waiting for me, along with a vinyl copy of CATP!
Score! Warwick B, for the win - and CATP too boot!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »

Yeah, the ability to access a copy hasn't been a major problem but, for a time, paying for it was a prob.  Like many a good rock classic.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »

5. POB, 1991 CD Reissue
6. POB, 2008 2-CD Reissue
7. Dennis Wilson press kit, Caribou.
8. Copies of POB album cover, used to promote album in record stores (1977)
9. Large door-sized Dennis Wilson POB promo poster (1977)
10. Dennis Wilson POB promo poster (1977)
11. Dennis Wilson POB coffee cup, white (1977)
12. Dennis Wilson POB balloon, green w/white print, unused (1977)
13. Dennis Wilson POB promo button (1977)
14. Dennis Wilson drumstick (busted)
15. Numerous Dennis Wilson bootlegs, vinyl and CD.
16. MIA - Dennis Wilson Bash items (poster) from Chez Jay's in 2003.

BUT.  I have never seen a POB mobile, either in a store as a promo or at record swap meets, up for auction in Goldmine/Discoveries,
or on Ebay. I have the Beach Boys 15 Big Ones and Love You mobiles, but not a POB mobile.  Is your mobile the same size as the

That's a great list of stuff Mikie! 
When you say Door Sized ( # 9 ) are you saying it's something like 3 feet wide by 6-7 feet tall?   Never seen one of those, if so! Where'd it originate? 

Wish I had the POB press kit ( #7); all I have  in that vein is the local CBS office product info sheets( page 1 shown) 

I'd venture that the First POB promos with the written covers( signed by Dennis) would probably be as rare as the 1991 CD resissue; 
AND: someone posted  a pic of their POB test pressing on Facebook recently. It's the 1st one I've ever seen. It's probably rarer than the 91 CD, but not that important here....
Oh yeah the handwritten DW promo of the POB LP is definitely rarer than the 91 CD, only 300 of those LP's were pressed (most also have "advance copy" on the label which is different from the regular white label promo), at least a few thousand of the 91 CD were distributed. There's some other stuff not on Mikie's list that is really rare, like the test pressings you alluded to, only a handful of those around, and there is an "advance" POB cassette from April 77 with Brother Studio labels on it, that's rare. There were some official POB t-shirts from '77 too, never seen one for sale, but I think I know who has one. And Carl wore one on the Australian tour.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »

Jon, did the studio do the 2 month full press for the release? I don't remember seeing that much in music stores let alone any TV or radio spots. Hell, Warner's did more for The Beach Boys Love You than what I saw from CBS/Caribou for Pacific Ocean Blue.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »

Oh yeah the handwritten DW promo of the POB LP is definitely rarer than the 91 CD, only 300 of those LP's were pressed (most also have "advance copy" on the label which is different from the regular white label promo), at least a few thousand of the 91 CD were distributed. There's some other stuff not on Mikie's list that is really rare, like the test pressings you alluded to, only a handful of those around, and there is an "advance" POB cassette from April 77 with Brother Studio labels on it, that's rare. There were some official POB t-shirts from '77 too, never seen one for sale, but I think I know who has one. And Carl wore one on the Australian tour.

I've never even seen (pictures or in person) any of those items above nor have I seen them for sale. Forgot that I still have an 8-track tape of POB too. Were there retail cassettes of the album made? I know Dennis did a couple of POB signings (Licorice Pizza or Peaches Records & Tapes?) so whoever was standing in line probably still has an autographed copy. Way back in about 1980, a DJ at KOME radio San Jose had an autographed copy of POB and offered it to me for 100 bucks and I passed on it. DAMN! I still kick myself for not buying it.

Then there's this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-BEACH-BOYS-DENNIS-WILSON-DRUM-FLIGHT-CASE-Used-1975-1983-/151176566367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2332d3565f
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:48:13 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »

Bgas, I don't remember where I got the large POB poster. Either at Tower, Record Factory, or one of the two record swap meets I frequented back then. I gave one to my then girlfriend (who was a BIG Dennis/POB fan) and pretty sure I still have the other one.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »

Can anyone here elaborate on the rarity (or otherwise) of a copy of POB stamped "FOR PROMOTION ONLY" on the sleeve, which includes a typed letter (signed by Dennis) and envelope addressed to Bob Wilson at RADIO and RECORDERS (both on Caribou Records stationery), and three contemporaneous photos of Dennis?

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »

Love this geeky collector part of this thread!  Mikie, your list is making me drool.  I enjoyed seeing some of your rare stuff after the Berkeley reunion show but apparently you were hiding a bunch of your primo rarities!

I am kicking myself for not picking up the 3 lp POB.  But I do have two copies of the original on vinyl.

I have a bunch of extra copies of dennis stuff besides the original POB on vinyl if anyone ever wants to strike up a trade or some such.

List of Dennis EXTRAS on cd:
Original 1991 POB on cd
4 copies of the Legacy Premier Edition with deluxe fold out digipak and extra liners (my favorite version) 2 are still sealed
3 copies of the 2 cd POB w/Bambu
2 copies of the POB & Bambu Radio Sampler cd featuring exclusive radio edit of the Taylor Hawkins version of Holy Man plus 4 other songs

I also have a few (not extra copies though) of the POB one hour radio special promo cds.  Quite weird that one is a 54 minute version and the other is a 59 minute version.  Why have two different promos with the same front cover and slightly different contents.  Weird.  Then I have another radio promo (54:30 running time) issued by Sony BMG but it is different promo with no front or back liner like the previous two I listed.  Why 3 different radio promos for the 2008 release?  Nice to have though.  I also have the radio promo plastic sleeve Holy Man cd with 2 unique edits that are different from the album verson.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx