gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:09:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 1966 Smile  (Read 8447 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »

First own many of you like Smile?  Second what kind of of music is Smile i mean is it

Psychedelic rock, baroque pop, psychedelic pop, folk rock, avant-garde, experimental, Americana

I had a fast Life
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »

I love SMiLE! And it's all of the above bar folk rock (and possibly avant-garde)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »

When I light one and listen to teh Smile, the thoughts that go through my brain are:
1: This is amazing
2: There is nothing else like this
3: How did he come up with this
4: Back to 1

Smile can't really be classified, it's just...Smile  3D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:04:48 PM by I HATE ALL MUSIC » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »

I've often tried to think of what genre Smile fits into, and I don't really think there is one. It's not psychedelic like most other music going on at the same time, it doesn't have that certain "baroque" sound to it, it never truly gets experimental enough to be avant-garde. I definitely wouldn't call it folk rock or Americana, but maybe "experimental" is the closest we'll get.

It really is unlike anything else.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »

It really is unlike anything else.

This.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »

Same here, love Smile as much if not more than anything else my favourite band recorded. There have been periods in my life when it's all I listen to.

Agree with Bambu Dennis that it ain't folk rock. Not sure that it's any kind of rock or pop, and I think it's something else entirely. Baroque - yes. Psychedelic - yes; psyche-delicate, even, I think Brian once called it. I think, to my ears at least, Brian's 2004 interpretation also re-envisioned the whole as children's music, by removing some of the darker edge to parts of the music and framing it with lighter, jolly sections like On A Holiday and Blue Hawaii.

Defining it is a complicated affair!

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »

Acid alliteration set to music made whilst stoned out of one's mind.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »

I'm all Smiled out.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:42:54 PM »

BW's masterpiece.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 11:43:42 PM »

First own many of you like Smile?  Second what kind of of music is Smile i mean is it

Psychedelic rock, baroque pop, psychedelic pop, folk rock, avant-garde, experimental, Americana

Yup, that's about right !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:25 AM »

Go have a listen, then come back (let's say 7pm, after tea) tell us what you think it is.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 05:31:57 AM »

There's something that's quoted often, about Brian being the Mozart Of Rock and Roll; If I remember correctly,  somebody also made a quote once (Anderle, Vosse, one of the other BB's?) about how Brian was trying to bring classical music into Rock/Pop music. That, to me, is what SMiLE is; it's the sound of classical music combined with Pop/Rock music.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »

Modern classical music of a sort?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »

SMILE?

MORE LIKE PILE...

...OF SONGS THAT WERE UNFINISHED AND NEVER GOT TO BE PUT TOGETHER IN A MANNER THAT MAKES SENSE TO BOTH THE PRODUCER AND LISTENER.

Smile is an unfinished album of classic songs by the pop-rock band known as The Beach Boys.

No mas, por favor.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »

Depends on the songs. Some are psychedelic - frightenly so. Others are baroque pop. Some are just art songs. It undefinable under one blanket term.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »

I don't hear baroque or for that matter rock.  Avant garde Americana pop seems the best description to me, as exemplified by Cabinessence, OMP, Wind Chimes, etc.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »

Disney on acid (think Fantasia)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »

this.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »

Ah, maybe more like Disney On Hash; we ain't splitting hairs, though  Cheesy
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »

Ah, maybe more like Disney On Hash; we ain't splitting hairs, though  Cheesy
Ah, maybe more like Disney on hash, speed, and Reddi-Whip.

A discipline daddy.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 04:26:10 PM »

Very good points Verlander and Daddy (ooh my!  LOL), so perhaps the term Psychedelic Disney would be a better all around description.  Smiley
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »

And what's almost tragic is to think of what Brian could've accomplished working in that idiom for a few more years. As brilliant as Smile is, there is a sense that he almost got in over his head at moments, and occasionally his experiments don't quite connect. That said, had Brian not been such a perfectionist or what have you, he could've seen that he still had an amazing 10-12 song album on his hands. There's no doubt that songs like "Cabinessence", "Wonderful", "Heroes & Villains", and "Surf's Up" work amazingly as is. But I can't help but think that he could've done even better with a second go at a similar concept.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »

And what's almost tragic is to think of what Brian could've accomplished working in that idiom for a few more years. As brilliant as Smile is, there is a sense that he almost got in over his head at moments, and occasionally his experiments don't quite connect. That said, had Brian not been such a perfectionist or what have you, he could've seen that he still had an amazing 10-12 song album on his hands. There's no doubt that songs like "Cabinessence", "Wonderful", "Heroes & Villains", and "Surf's Up" work amazingly as is. But I can't help but think that he could've done even better with a second go at a similar concept.

That's what drugs do to ya. Like he said, he just got beside himself with it and junked it. Ever smoked hash or some real good pot or done acid? There's your answer.

Paranoia big destroya!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »

I've smoked pot and done shrooms. Still think I could've summoned the courage to release Smile, considering I would've had the gumption to release Smiley Smile. I agree with Van Dyke Parks' comment that drugs are the biggest "red herring" in the Smile story.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »

Hey, I'm just relaying it from the horse's mouth. Ask Brian. See the video from the It's OK special.

And without any suggestions prior, I asked Marilyn Wilson the question of why Smile was scrapped. Without hesitation she replied, "Drugs".

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx