gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:35:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Solo Survivor #2 Winner: Bruce Johnston's I Write The Songs  (Read 53433 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »

I vote for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lxGstAel7c
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »

A vote against "Pipeline" is a vote for genocide.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »

I Write the Songs

His crowning achievement!
If Mars had life on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:38 AM »

I heard Phish is going to cover Going Public in its entirety at their next Halloween show.   
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »

Deidre
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »

The Beach Boys have many shitty songs. As solo members they also have plenty of crappy ones. However, when bound together as an album one can always hear at least one good tune and perhaps the feeling of  the album overall may instill some emotion, even though the songs on their own are lacking. This is often the case with albums like MIU and KTSA.

Going Public is not like this though. Imo it lacks any charm or quality of any form, shape or note. It is lifeless. Bereft of life it lies in suspended animation and any additional time I spend listening to this  record is as wasteful as that time I gave my stiff-frozen bunny rabbit CPR as a 12 year old.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »

I really kind of liked Bruce when I first got into the BB. "Tears In The Morning" still floors me but then I'm a sucker for waltzes. Then I found this album in MP3 format some 15 years ago and I could only make it to the disco version of "Deidre" before I deleted the files and vowed never to listen to it again. I would say that Bruce and Mike easily have the worst god-awful solo albums of the band. There are many moments where Bruce came in and helped the BB out with favorable outcomes but I am so glad he's too lazy to write another album of his own. May the song "She Believes In Love Again" choke on it's own vomit.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

*cue Bruce showing up at your door to pistol-whip you* Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »

Deirdre
rogerlancelot
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2014, 02:45:33 AM »

*cue Bruce showing up at your door to pistol-whip you* Evil

I'll draw the bath and get the bubbles ready.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2014, 03:06:12 AM »

I Write the Songs
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »

...and we sang God Bless America...  Oh, wait, wrong album, and the one he decided not to re-do... yet.
I listened to all the finalists this morning - "Deirdre" is the best written, but doesn't hold a candle to the Sunflower version.  So no.
"I Write the Songs" - I've heard him do it better than this live.  Even Bruce says (in the September 1990 Record Collector interview) that it was perfect for Barry.  Again, out.
Yes, in 1977 Bruce was going for this:
My vote goes to:
"Pipeline"  best heard in the 12" Disco Single Mix by Curt Becher.  Produced by Gary Usher (trying on those platforms for the first time - hey, it was the 70's).
This was a Hit in the New York clubs.  The Seagulls just Rock it to the Top!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:12:59 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2014, 05:08:43 AM »

The question really comes down to when will we see the the release of "The Going Public Sessions"
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2014, 06:27:09 AM »

I write the songs
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2014, 08:08:55 AM »

Welcome back, one and all, to the second thread of the Beach Boys Solo Survivor. I can tell this is a thread for the Survivor DIEHARDS!  LOL

The Solo Survivors are going to tackle the main solo albums of members of the Beach Boys. This will not include solo albums released prior to membership in the Beach Boys. This will also not include works done by members who were participating in different groups (ie David Marks in The Moon or The Marksmen) nor will it include "Best Of" albums or rehash albums (ie Summertime Cruisin' by Mike Love and Bruce Johnston will not be included. This also means we will not be including Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE or I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.) Lastly, we will not be including EP's or Unreleased Albums.

Some of the Solo Survivor albums may be hard to come across. Smilers are encouraged to locate legal copies of the solo albums. I expect these rounds to go quicker with less voting than normal. No big deal.

So without further ado...

Going Public is Beach Boys member Bruce Johnston's third and final solo album, and the only one recorded after becoming a member of the band. It was released in 1977 under Columbia Records. Bruce proves to the world what Beach Boys fans have known from the get-go: namely, he hasn't a rock 'n' roll bone in his body.

So apparently this is the most hated album in entire Beach Boys Oeuvre.  LOL

Not everbody loves Deirdre (2)
Not enough people love disco-funk. (4)

With 9 votes, the obvious winner...

I Write the Songs

Round#1 - Won't Somebody Dance with Me July 18
Round#2 - Rendezvous July 21
Round#3 - Thank You Baby July 23
Round#4 - Don't Be Scared July 25
Round#5 - Disney Girls July 29
Round#6 - Rock and Roll Survivor July 31
Round#7 - Deidre August 3
Round#7 - Pipeline August 3

Glad this round is over.

3D
bluesno1fann
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2014, 12:56:27 AM »

I'm pretty sure Pipeline got 5 votes instead of 4. In any case, I suppose IWTS is a worthy winner.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure Pipeline got 5 votes instead of 4.
I counted 4. And yes, "...the Songs" is a well-deserved win.

I counted one from myself, one from Fall Breaks, one from Bubbly, one from The Primitive Jarhead, and one from Feelsflow.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »

I either didn't click bubbly's link or I didn't count Primitive's vote since it wasn't explicitly stated by a quick eye counting votes. I don't recall.

Pipeline lost.  By a wide margin. Move on.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:26:10 PM by pixletwin » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »

I either didn't click bubbly's link or I didn't count Primitive's vote since it wasn't explicitly stated by a quick eye counting votes. I don't recall.

I'm guessing you didn't enjoy the album, since you first heard it when starting this round.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2014, 12:00:53 AM »

There is not really a whole lot to like about this album. It's interesting, I got the Japanese import in the mail during a really rainy spell, so it reminds me of gloomy weather and the smell of rain.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2014, 01:00:37 AM »

There is not really a whole lot to like about this album. It's interesting, I got the Japanese import in the mail during a really rainy spell, so it reminds me of gloomy weather and the smell of rain.
Is it the other way round as well? That bad weather reminds you of GP? I imagine being reminded of GP for an entire autumn. *shudder*  Wink

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2014, 06:26:33 AM »

I'm guessing you didn't enjoy the album, since you first heard it when starting this round.

I found it dire listening, at best.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:04:06 PM by zatch » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »

If everyone had seen the Pipeline video ft. "Bruce Johnston and his Sweater of Pure Sex" it would have won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lxGstAel7c

Just look at that face  Grin

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2014, 01:45:26 AM »

I would've gone for Disney Girls, though it's not as good as the BB or the Whistle Test versions (or when I've seen him live); I don't like this version of Deidre (and of his songs on Sunflower, I prefer Tears...). I guess I Write is my second favourite track. Would've been nice to hear a BB version on, say, MIU, perhaps with the Double Rock Baptist Choir as well. Could've replaced any number of tracks. Quite like Thank You Baby.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx