gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:24:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad Vibrations: Who is your least favorite Beach Boy?  (Read 15938 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »

Ricky/Blondie. I don't like the dated blues rock they brought to the band in the early 70s. It may have helped the band stay contemporary but today it is pretty embarrassing.

In what way is it embarrassing? Have you listened to the live tracks from this period, as heard on In Concert, MIC, etc? The band were phenomenal! It was all downhill once they quit...

They sound like any other early 70s "dad-rock" band during that period. I don't like that style at all. They didn't go in a mature direction circa Holland, just a more generic one. I'm more criticizing the songs and vocals they brought to the band on the studio albums. The songs suck, and the vocals don't belong on Beach Boys records.

Next in my list of least favorite members is Dave, just because he was in the band for only a year as a teenager and has never really had a detectable role.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:09:14 PM by Gabo » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »

Ricky/Blondie. I don't like the dated blues rock they brought to the band in the early 70s. It may have helped the band stay contemporary but today it is pretty embarrassing.

In what way is it embarrassing? Have you listened to the live tracks from this period, as heard on In Concert, MIC, etc? The band were phenomenal! It was all downhill once they quit...

They sound like any other early 70s "dad-rock" band during that period. I don't like that style at all. They didn't go in a mature direction circa Holland, just a more generic one. I'm more criticizing the songs and vocals they brought to the band on the studio albums. The songs suck, and the vocals don't belong on Beach Boys records.

Next in my list of least favorite members is Dave, just because he was in the band for only a year as a teenager and has never really had a detectable role.

I'd say Holland is by some considerable distance their most mature album. Not their best (although it's certainly up there) but certainly their most mature. Regardless, I still fail to see how not liking a style automatically makes said style 'embarrassing'. You might not think it's very good, but that's another story... 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:29 PM »

I'd have to say Brian is both my most favorite and my least favorite at the same time.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »

David had a very detectable role - rhythm guitar.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »

It could have been played by any other person and wouldn't have made a difference. That's what I meant.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »

I'd say Holland is by some considerable distance their most mature album.

Really ?  There's this album called That's Why God Made The Radio you should listen to. You might revise your opinion.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »

Really ?  There's this album called That's Why God Made The Radio you should listen to. You might revise your opinion.

(Cough) Beaches in Mind (Cough)

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 12:39:34 AM »

I wouldn't call it their most mature album, even though it is, of course, the one made by the oldest group of Beach Boys.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2014, 02:12:50 AM »

Well I was referring to album content, not the age of the group. I think Trader, California saga, Only With You, etc somewhat trumps Bill & Sue, Beaches In Mind, Spring Vacation, etc.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 02:57:53 AM »

I think some tracks from TWGMTR (the mini suite for example) trump some tracks from Holland (Big Sur, The Trader)  and vice versa (Sail on Sailor, Funky Pretty, Only with You and more as opposed to Beaches in Mind, Spring Vacation, Bill and Sue, Daybreak...). Some of the Beach Boys' albums reflect the problem of the band itself - the songs, like the band members, show varying levels of talent.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 04:43:03 AM »

Really ?  There's this album called That's Why God Made The Radio you should listen to. You might revise your opinion.

Well I was referring to album content, not the age of the group. I think Trader, California saga, Only With You, etc somewhat trumps Bill & Sue, Beaches In Mind, Spring Vacation, etc.

I was also referring to album content (and not album quality): Holland is a group of people in their late 20s/early30s looking back at their homeland from a remove of some 5000 miles and thinking "y'know, it's really not that bad". TWGMTR is a group of people in their late 60s/early 70s looking back at their lives from a remove of several decades and thinking "y'know, it was pretty good, but now isn't too shabby either". They know what they've been and they accept what they are. That's maturity. Maybe faux-maturity, but once you've faked that, you've got it made.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:44:27 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 05:11:32 AM »

I've been pondering this couple days now. As much as I hate to say this, but I wouldn't mind if somehow Mike would've quit in the early 70's. After that he's done so much damage to the image of the band and so much pure crap (musicaly), that the choice is pretty easy. Bruce would've been the easy choice, but I don't mind him. If he wants to sing Disney Girls and clap, that's fine by me. He just kinda is there, so I can't say I hate him in any level. And I'm not a Mike-hater. I appreciate most of the stuff he's done, and I would go to see he's group. But if I'd have to pick one that's my least favorite, it's gonna be Mike.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:53 AM »

I'd say Holland is by some considerable distance their most mature album. Not their best (although it's certainly up there) but certainly their most mature. Regardless, I still fail to see how not liking a style automatically makes said style 'embarrassing'. You might not think it's very good, but that's another story... 

They (the Blondie/Ricky songs) are not embarrassing, but....other than some Beach Boys singing background vocals on them, they have very little to do with The Beach Boys. I occasionally listen to them and I guess I get some enjoyment from them, but, honestly, if those CATP and Holland Blondie/Ricky tracks weren't on Beach Boys' albums, I probably would never listen to them.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 05:34:18 AM »

easily pick, the Bruceter

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »

My least favorite Beach Boy is the premise of this thread
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 07:23:06 AM »

I know this isn't the point of the thread and I'm not going to pick a least favorite Beach Boy--I just don't think it matters one way or the other, to say nothing of the distastefulness of ranking people in the same way we might rank songs--but I wanted to chime in that I think I see where Gabo is coming from, even if I don't quite agree completely.

The Beach Boys needed a change in the early '70s if they were going to continue to exist, to sell records, etc. They were floundering commercially, I think that much is clear. And to some extent, the direction they went did work. They played hipper gigs, had a hipper look and sound, and had Holland, which was something of a relative success. (The real commercial success came with Endless Summer, but that's not the point of my post.) However, the way they pushed forward was by becoming imitators of the times and of their surroundings. They took on, somewhat artificially feeling to my eyes and ears, the trappings of what was happening in the scene. (It's not unlike 85 in that respect.)

And even their "maturity" sounds silly to me, mostly because it wasn't silly (if that makes sense). When they do "Take Good Care of Your Feet," I believe them. When they do "HELP Is on the Way," I believe them. When I hear "Beaks of Eagles," I cringe a little. This band is for the most part not great with deep sentiments, and they are least successful with them when they reach for them. Their greatest depths come when they're just sticking to what they know without trying to sound important. The seriousness of (most of) Holland is its undoing, along with its musical trend-hopping.

I'm not saying the guys weren't interested in doing what they did, or that they were faking it. I'm just saying it isn't necessarily what they did naturally, or what they did best.

(If memory serves, I've written and felt almost the exact opposite of this post before, so take it for what it's worth. By my accounting, it's worth about $15. Give me $15. Thank you.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »

I agree 100%, 15 big ones is a way more honest album than holland will ever be. The BBs were working class guys from California who grew up in the 1950s, not hippies of the 1960s.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »

I'm not saying the guys weren't interested in doing what they did, or that they were faking it. I'm just saying it isn't necessarily what they did naturally, or what they did best.

I can only wonder what would've happened if they had continued making music in the 'hippy' vein past Holland

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »

I can only wonder what would've happened if they had continued making music in the 'hippy' vein past Holland

Considering the hippie thing was a passing fad, I guess they'd have gotten just as passe as they did with surfing and car music. (At least their nostalgia thing got popular again by the mid- to late 70s.) Hippies grew up, got jobs, voted Reagan, and listened to shitty, shiny cheese. (OK, dramatic judgmental over-generalization ends here.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »

Really ?  There's this album called That's Why God Made The Radio you should listen to. You might revise your opinion.

I was also referring to album content (and not album quality): Holland is a group of people in their late 20s/early30s looking back at their homeland from a remove of some 5000 miles and thinking "y'know, it's really not that bad". TWGMTR is a group of people in their late 60s/early 70s looking back at their lives from a remove of several decades and thinking "y'know, it was pretty good, but now isn't too shabby either". They know what they've been and they accept what they are. That's maturity. Maybe faux-maturity, but once you've faked that, you've got it made.  Smiley

Meh. Fair enough. Still, TWGMTR is only half a good album, whereas Holland is a whole great one.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »

Considering the hippie thing was a passing fad, I guess they'd have gotten just as passe as they did with surfing and car music. (At least their nostalgia thing got popular again by the mid- to late 70s.) Hippies grew up, got jobs, voted Reagan, and listened to shitty, shiny cheese. (OK, dramatic judgmental over-generalization ends here.)

Not only was the hippie thing becoming passe, but by 1974 and definitely through 1976 and 15 Big Ones, the Beach Boys were at a stage and even an age where they could still be cool. Yeah, the "they're no longer Beach Boys, they're now Beach Men ha ha ha" jokes were out there. But, you had the success of the American Graffiti movie/music, popular TV shows like Happy Days and Laverne And Shirley, AM radio that was still pop-oriented, and most importantly The U.S. Bicentennial. Long hair and beards were fashionable, not to mention the occasional Hawaiian shirt surfacing. Seriously, "Fun is in, it's no sin" was cool. If some of the early 1970's subject matter might've been artificial or even forced, the 1974-1976 subjects were right up The Beach Boys' alley.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:46:27 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »

Exactly, the BBs were always part of American mainstream culture.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »

I'm going to now say the hired hands in Mikes licensed Beach Boys only because he made it such a priority to emphasize them over the original group members in that latest radio interview.

Payback is such a bitch sometimes!

No other reason. Sorry to the guys though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:59:31 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:11 PM »

Everybody has their own favourite Beach Boys and choices sometimes defy logic. I don't see the early 70s period springing out of nowhere, nor do I see Smile or Dennis' stuff doing the same. They were still an artistic unit, though a fraught one, at the time and were evolving, trading ideas and themes off each other, changing with the times and artistic growth (might not be the artistic growth you wanted, but that's tough), though with less Brian input. I don't think they ever became artistically bankrupt, but things do reach something of a nadir at several points later in the career.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 01:36:26 AM »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:01:02 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx