gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:40:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Endless River by Pink Floyd  (Read 14989 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 01:05:29 PM »

On one hand, it sucks that Roger Waters isn't involved because he was the creative force of the group. On the other hand, Roger Waters is a huge dick and an anti-semite whether he thinks he is or not. So there's that. Basically, I wouldn't care about this album either way. But I'm semi-interested enough to give it a single listen on Spotify.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »

On one hand, it sucks that Roger Waters isn't involved because he was the creative force of the group. On the other hand, Roger Waters is a huge dick and an anti-semite whether he thinks he is or not. So there's that. Basically, I wouldn't care about this album either way. But I'm semi-interested enough to give it a single listen on Spotify.

1st. Roger was a huge dick back in the 80's, yeah. But he has since mellowed considerably. He's even admitted that he was completely wrong for what he did in the past.
2nd. Roger's actually anti-racism. He's not an anti-Semite at all, he is an anti-Zionist, which is quite different.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »

"Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album, The Endless River, in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the summer."

So, it seems that "leaked" composer sheet is likely a fake.
Totally fake.

A discipline daddy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »

1st. Roger was a huge dick back in the 80's, yeah. But he has since mellowed considerably. He's even admitted that he was completely wrong for what he did in the past.
2nd. Roger's actually anti-racism. He's not an anti-Semite at all, he is an anti-Zionist, which is quite different.

Yup. Big difference.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »

I was just hoping a new album would be a true reunion album. I'm sure that accepting it at face value it'll be a fine record, but damn, getting the Floyd back together would be great, especially if they were to have used the Rick Wright songs in said reunion.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »

I liked On an Island much more than Division Bell.  Love that title cut video with CSN and Nick.  I've come to think of Island as the last Floyd album.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 12:14:01 AM »

I liked On an Island much more than Division Bell.  Love that title cut video with CSN and Nick.  I've come to think of Island as the last Floyd album.
The live video? C&N, no Stills. And Rick Wright, no Nick Mason. The new release will have Dave, Rick and Nick.  Maybe C&N again. They did a Gilmour session, conflicting reports.  Either for a new Gilmour solo album or the new PF album.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »

The live video? C&N, no Stills. And Rick Wright, no Nick Mason. The new release will have Dave, Rick and Nick.  Maybe C&N again. They did a Gilmour session, conflicting reports.  Either for a new Gilmour solo album or the new PF album.

Don't know why I wrote CSN.  Shorter than naming Willy and Cros  Smiley.   Still, Rick and David soar and Dave's compositions are top flight.  Adding C and N was the perfect icing on the cake.  Had Nick been there it would have been as good as it gets.   Don't know the drummer on that cut but if it is the guy who played with CSN, he is 1st rate.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »

Don't know why I wrote CSN.  Shorter than naming Willy and Cros  Smiley.   Still, Rick and David soar and Dave's compositions are top flight.  Adding C and N was the perfect icing on the cake.  Had Nick been there it would have been as good as it gets.   Don't know the drummer on that cut but if it is the guy who played with CSN, he is 1st rate.

Don't know the drummer either, but he's Gilmour's guy recent years ...... Good player. Very respectful towards Nick's parts, and doesn't overplay: key to that Floyd vibe.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 05:48:48 AM »

So no songs about bikes, scarecrows, gnomes, or mice named Gerald?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »

I would love it if Waters guested or made a new track for the album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »

Me too, but I won't hold my breath.
PhilCohen
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »

I should note that Roger Waters is not the only rock musician to ally himself with the Arab side in the Arab-Israeli conflict. So have David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Robert Wyatt and the late Irish Blues guitarist Gary Moore.  Wyatt's music has also, on occasion, expressd pro-communist & pro-Cuba viewpoints. These people have the right to express their political views, as long as they don't try to incite more violence. I'm not looking at this issue from a fanatic "Jewish" viewpoint, since, like 66% of Americans of Jewish ethnicity, I'm secular(not a believer or participant in organized religion). My family have been secular for five generations.  If Roger Waters wants to use his future music(if there ever is any) as a vehicle for anti-Israel or anti-American views, he has a right to do that, but political music is not my idea of entertainment. Political music also has a tendency to quickly become as obsolete as yesterday's newspapers.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »

The Endless River Tracklist:

01. Things Left Unsaid
02. It’s What We Do
03. Ebb And Flow
04. Sum
05. Skins
06. Unsung
07. Anisina
08. The Lost Art of Conversation
09. On Noodle Street
10. Night Light
11. Allons-y (1)
12. Autumn’68
13. Allons-y (2)
14. Talkin’ Hawkin’
15. Calling
16. Eyes To Pearls
17. Surfacing
18. Louder Than Words
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 08:46:04 AM »

I'll buy it just because when it comes to Pink Floyd I am a completist.

But correct me if I am wrong here... this album is basically just outtakes from Division Bell.. right?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »

I'll buy it just because when it comes to Pink Floyd I am a completist.

But correct me if I am wrong here... this album is basically just outtakes from Division Bell.. right?

As far as I know, it started off as a side project during the Division Bell sessions... and that while it forms as the basis of The Endless River, only a portion of it will appear on the album. According to Dave and Nick of course.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »

The number of tracks worries me...I even struggle to sit through the whole of Division Bell.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »

Big payday for the aging pink. Bigger if they tour.  But doubtful if they do. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 01:17:23 AM »

So, the album's just been released. For those who have heard it already, thoughts?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 03:22:02 AM »

As a way to end the career of one of the greatest bands to exist?
Terrible. it's not a bad album, but it seems so weird as a finale.

But I don't think this is the end.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »

Snooooooooooooze.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2014, 02:12:37 PM »

I think of it more as a tribute to Rick Wright. I don't think anyone involved in the group has any serious desire to do new music -- these were 20 year old tapes to begin with.

As for terrible endings to a great band, what about the botch-job that was the Spector-produced Let It Be?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »

For me the true end was the saxophone fade-out from Two Suns in the Sunset.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

I think of it more as a tribute to Rick Wright. I don't think anyone involved in the group has any serious desire to do new music -- these were 20 year old tapes to begin with.

As for terrible endings to a great band, what about the botch-job that was the Spector-produced Let It Be?

Agreed...the only Beatles album I don't care for, mainly because it doesn't even SOUND like the Beatles IMHO. Not vocally, but production-wise.

I haven't heard the new Floyd disc yet, but Rick Wright was my favorite band member (his parts influenced my writing more than anyone else except BW).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »

For me the true end was the saxophone fade-out from Two Suns in the Sunset.

This. I agree with this.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx