gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:21:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Endless River by Pink Floyd  (Read 15004 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »

This is mildly exciting, never though this would happen in my lifetime! Though it's highly unlikely that Roger Waters is participating.

It will be called "The Endless River". More details here:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-news/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:17:36 AM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »

Without Roger it's basically a Dave solo album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »

Without Roger it's basically a Dave solo album.

Like Momentary Lapse? You have a point.

Though half of the new album's from 1994 and the other half's brand new. So there will be some Rick Wright.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:41:27 AM »

From what I understand, there was quite a bit of material Rick brought to The Division Bell aside from what made the album ... Apparently they had a pretty complex system of how each person's material got voted in (Rick always voted for his own stuff Wink) and a lot of it came from group jam sessions: the stuff that they would focus on and beat into a finished song. So, there is probably a lot of unfinished stuff in the can that Rick originated.... I think he was also playing around with doing a 3rd solo album over the years. I suspect there's no lack of material for Dave and Nick to pull from to work on.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »

I'm pretty sad that they didn't get Rog to appear on the album. It would have been a fitting tribute to the man who defined Pink Floyd's sound more than any other.

A discipline daddy.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:39:26 AM »

I'm pretty sad that they didn't get Rog to appear on the album. It would have been a fitting tribute to the man who defined Pink Floyd's sound more than any other.

Thank you!!!!

I couldn't agree more about Rick being the one to have defined the Pink Floyd sound more than anyone else... Even on Piper, his keyboards are just as unique and distinctive as Syd. We always hear about how he stopped contributing during the making of The Wall, blah blah, but the way I see it is, with Roger's simplistic songs taking the fore, there was really not much to interest him..... Roger's always been happy to pound out 3 or 4 generic blues chords, slap his lyrics on it and be the genius who wrote the song, and let the others do all the work of making it musically interesting. (Take note of how Rick flourishes on a more musically complex, Dave/Roger track like "Dogs")... All fine and good when you have the others contributing music as well. Roger adding his great lyrics to great music is where the Pink Floyd magic was. When it was all his music n lyrics, it was nothing but an uphill battle. We got one classic album out of it, (and another damn good one) but who wants to show up for work everyday and put in 100 per cent under those circumstances?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 02:51:32 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 02:54:58 AM »

I am very excited this material is being released. I was disappointed when the Division Bell boxset was announced and this stuff wasn't on it. Now I know why. As I understand it, it's mainly instrumental jams by the band during the D B sessions. Supposed to be electronic, ambient and spacey. Possibly some vocals have been added but this is not a new album. It's from 1994 and Roger wasn't in the band.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:09:00 AM »

I remember Nick Mason saying not long after the Division Bell was released that there was enough material left over for another album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »

So this is David and Nick? God, I hope it is better than LAPSE (aptly titled) or BELL.

I thought their LIVE 8 appearance in 2005 was a classic and classy way to wrap up the band.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:23:47 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »

I will by this just because I am a completist. But if Waters were on it I would be over the moon.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »

So this is David and Nick? God, I hope it is better than LAPSE (aptly titled) or BELL.

I thought their LIVE 8 appearance in 2005 was a classic and classy way to wrap up the band.
And Rick Wright. Probably gonna sound more like their improv soundtrack stuff than tradional rock songs.

It be great if Dave, Nick and Roger tacked on a new song, for Rick, but I think that unlikely.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-details/

Just found this update.  Pretty much confirms what I had posted. But I hope things are a bit more interesting than
the sound effects clip with  the article.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »

I would love to even have a bonus track from live 8.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZIhXuHFUZI

This, I think, is some of the material for the new album. I imagine new guitar, bass and drum overdubs have been added to clean things up and  then some bvs added ala DSOTM.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »

I wish I were excited...but I can't see this sounding like anything unlike MLOR or Division Bell. I figured if there were ever another PF album it would involve Roger - that's how it should be.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

I wish I were excited...but I can't see this sounding like anything unlike MLOR or Division Bell. I figured if there were ever another PF album it would involve Roger - that's how it should be.
I guess it's more of a labor of  love for DG. I read they had 47 pieces of unused muic from the D B sessions. If it were  the BBs, we'd be going crazy to get it released. It isn't going to be WYWH or Dark Side or Animals. It is PF mark II minus Roger. I would love to have a real new P F album but Rick is dead, as is the band.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »

I love the D B, but I'm not a fan of MLOR. I'm not going to expect anything from this release...hopefully it'll be good.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 03:57:09 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pink-floyd-to-release-first-new-album-in-20-years-this-fall-20140706

More info from RS. New Gilmour lead  vocals? Well then, hell, they should  have brought in RW. Maybe they did, or talked about it. Gonna be interesting.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »

From what I understand, the tracks are a bunch of different songs that Rick wrote around The Division Bell sessions (I think they're sorta known as The Big Spliff...?) that Nick and Dave are going to overdub onto. I think it's supposed to be mostly instrumentals, although Dave wrote lyrics for one of the songs and added his own voice, plus some backing vocals from three or four women.

The album doesn't really need Roger.

Edit: Or, if this is to be believed:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:36:38 PM by Wuvvly Babes » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »

From what I understand, the tracks are a bunch of different songs that Rick wrote around The Division Bell sessions (I think they're sorta known as The Big Spliff...?) that Nick and Dave are going to overdub onto. I think it's supposed to be mostly instrumentals, although Dave wrote lyrics for one of the songs and added his own voice, plus some backing vocals from three or four women.

Wow, looks like most of these songs have lyrics. Interesting.

Seems if they are writing lyrics 20 years after the fact, they could have asked Roger to participate. But yeah, they don't need him I guess. Be interesting to read Roger's comments about the album.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »

nope this post was wrong look elsewhere
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:41:59 AM by Wuvvly Babes » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »

Wow, looks like most of these songs have lyrics. Interesting.

Seems if they are writing lyrics 20 years after the fact, they could have asked Roger to participate. But yeah, they don't need him I guess. Be interesting to read Roger's comments about the album.

No complaints here about such a Rick heavy album as this seems to be!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:42:40 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »

On a different note, 8 years ago today, Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett passed on. Been celebrating this anniversary with a little tribute post on Facebook and listening to his music. He is still greatly missed, and I simply can't believe it's been this long since he died. Shine on. R.I.P.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »

"Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album, The Endless River, in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the summer."

So, it seems that "leaked" composer sheet is likely a fake.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »

Not likely Roger Waters is involved since I am pretty sure he would have a production credit as well.  Cry
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx