gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:35:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike, Bruce and Dave @ Jones Beach - July 5th  (Read 36907 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »

Back with the Brady Bunch comparisons.  Davy Jones famously guested on the Brady Bunch and sang "Girl" which was his then-current single. Did it chart? No. Did it sell any significant amount? No, not really.  The Brady's weren't that big during the show's first run and lasted 5 seasons.  In terms of  "quality television" (read:critically acclaimed), BB wasn't even in the same stratosphere as All In the Family or Mary Tyler Moore or MASH.

But during its syndication run, it became even more popular than it was during its run spawning a cottage industry of everything Brady including several made-for-TV films and a dramatized update of the show featuring the original cast and characters, two feature films, memoirs from various cast members and even a stage show.  To the Brady cult, one of  the most popular pieces of minutiae is the Davy Jones appearance.  Davy recreated his guest role in the stage show and performed "Girl" in the feature movie which by that time (the mid-90's)  meant that despite not having been a hit song,  "Girl" was now a popular enough number that Davy put it in his own solo shows and Monkees shows until  his death.  And it was always well-received by his audiences.

Full House shared many similarities with the Brady's. Both shows were pariahs to discerning TV viewers (a fact not lost on Miller-Boyett - they told the show's writers "OK, you'd rather  write for  Seinfeld or Cheers?  OK, take that sensibility and apply it to our show"). Both were popular among families and both featured beloved 60's pop stars in famous guest appearances.  full House is to Gen Y and younger what the Brady's were to Gen X, a fondly remembered childhood favorite.  Since it went off network TV in 1995, it has been a huge staple in reruns. Still. To this day.  The Olsen sisters owe their financial empire to Full House fans. Bob Saget tours constantly and his audience is the Full House audience who aren't insulted by the fact that their favorite TV dad hated telling corny sitcom jokes to their younger selves.  John Stamos has never been out of work for the last 20 years whether it be Broadway, made-for -TV films, ER, Glee. Hell, Stamos reunited with Saget and Dave Coulier for a yogurt commercial that aired during the Super Bowl. The freakin' Super Bowl!  And that fan base knows the Beach Boys. They may not be Brianistas. May not even care about SMiLE, but they do know who they are and John Stamos singing that Dennis Wilson song from side 2 of Sunflower is their equivalent of Davy Jones singing "Girl" to Marcia Brady*.  As cring-inducing as the Stamos-Love bromance can be to some of us, I can't really find it in my heart to want to wish  someone's childhood memory away simply because that image doesn't fit my own personal image of what the Beach Boys are and should be.

People are nostalgic for the 90’s now the same way they were nostalgic for the 70’s in the 90’s. That’s all fine. Plenty of people remember Stamos and Full House, and some (but fewer) remember the song he sang, and some (but even fewer) remember it was a Beach Boys song. And?

Preferring Stamos not shoehorn his way into a starring role on a stage with the remnants of the Beach Boys (and the larger BB band going back to the 80’s and 90’s) is not denying his celebrity, or the nostalgia some people have for their memories of him and his shows and his BB connection. I’ll laugh through the BB’s poor acting on an episode of Full House, that’s all fun. Reminisce all you want. Join his fan club. Watch his TV shows. But would hardcore Full House fans want a reunion special where half the original cast is gone and the Beach Boys are in every scene, displaying poor acting skills? No, of course not. Well, actually, I think that would be hilarious. Nevertheless, the problem isn’t with Stamos per se, but with his schtick on stage. Even if he had scored multiple #1 hits with the Beach Boys, many would consider his stage presence tacky. The fact that he is a footnote in their history, and is more well known among fans for being “that Full House guy that Mike keeps letting prance around the stage” doesn’t speak too kindly to his relevancy to the Beach Boys.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2014, 12:33:54 PM »

Back with the Brady Bunch comparisons.  Davy Jones famously guested on the Brady Bunch and sang "Girl" which was his then-current single. Did it chart? No. Did it sell any significant amount? No, not really.  The Brady's weren't that big during the show's first run and lasted 5 seasons.  In terms of  "quality television" (read:critically acclaimed), BB wasn't even in the same stratosphere as All In the Family or Mary Tyler Moore or MASH.

But during its syndication run, it became even more popular than it was during its run spawning a cottage industry of everything Brady including several made-for-TV films and a dramatized update of the show featuring the original cast and characters, two feature films, memoirs from various cast members and even a stage show.  To the Brady cult, one of  the most popular pieces of minutiae is the Davy Jones appearance.  Davy recreated his guest role in the stage show and performed "Girl" in the feature movie which by that time (the mid-90's)  meant that despite not having been a hit song,  "Girl" was now a popular enough number that Davy put it in his own solo shows and Monkees shows until  his death.  And it was always well-received by his audiences.

Full House shared many similarities with the Brady's. Both shows were pariahs to discerning TV viewers (a fact not lost on Miller-Boyett - they told the show's writers "OK, you'd rather  write for  Seinfeld or Cheers?  OK, take that sensibility and apply it to our show"). Both were popular among families and both featured beloved 60's pop stars in famous guest appearances.  full House is to Gen Y and younger what the Brady's were to Gen X, a fondly remembered childhood favorite.  Since it went off network TV in 1995, it has been a huge staple in reruns. Still. To this day.  The Olsen sisters owe their financial empire to Full House fans. Bob Saget tours constantly and his audience is the Full House audience who aren't insulted by the fact that their favorite TV dad hated telling corny sitcom jokes to their younger selves.  John Stamos has never been out of work for the last 20 years whether it be Broadway, made-for -TV films, ER, Glee. Hell, Stamos reunited with Saget and Dave Coulier for a yogurt commercial that aired during the Super Bowl. The freakin' Super Bowl!  And that fan base knows the Beach Boys. They may not be Brianistas. May not even care about SMiLE, but they do know who they are and John Stamos singing that Dennis Wilson song from side 2 of Sunflower is their equivalent of Davy Jones singing "Girl" to Marcia Brady*.  As cring-inducing as the Stamos-Love bromance can be to some of us, I can't really find it in my heart to want to wish  someone's childhood memory away simply because that image doesn't fit my own personal image of what the Beach Boys are and should be.

People are nostalgic for the 90’s now the same way they were nostalgic for the 70’s in the 90’s. That’s all fine. Plenty of people remember Stamos and Full House, and some (but fewer) remember the song he sang, and some (but even fewer) remember it was a Beach Boys song. And?

Preferring Stamos not shoehorn his way into a starring role on a stage with the remnants of the Beach Boys (and the larger BB band going back to the 80’s and 90’s) is not denying his celebrity, or the nostalgia some people have for their memories of him and his shows and his BB connection. I’ll laugh through the BB’s poor acting on an episode of Full House, that’s all fun. Reminisce all you want. Join his fan club. Watch his TV shows. But would hardcore Full House fans want a reunion special where half the original cast is gone and the Beach Boys are in every scene, displaying poor acting skills? No, of course not. Well, actually, I think that would be hilarious. Nevertheless, the problem isn’t with Stamos per se, but with his schtick on stage. Even if he had scored multiple #1 hits with the Beach Boys, many would consider his stage presence tacky. The fact that he is a footnote in their history, and is more well known among fans for being “that Full House guy that Mike keeps letting prance around the stage” doesn’t speak too kindly to his relevancy to the Beach Boys.

I am not passing judgement one way or another about how appropriate it is for Stamos to flaunt his BB association.   When he was on Jimmy Fallon, what was the first song Uncle Jesse played? "Forever".  The BB connection IS important to that show's fan base just as Davy Jones's connection was important to Brady lore.  The only difference is that you never saw Maureen McCormick singing onstage with the Monkees.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2014, 12:49:30 PM »

I am not passing judgement one way or another about how appropriate it is for Stamos to flaunt his BB association.   When he was on Jimmy Fallon, what was the first song Uncle Jesse played? "Forever".  The BB connection IS important to that show's fan base just as Davy Jones's connection was important to Brady lore.  The only difference is that you never saw Maureen McCormick singing onstage with the Monkees.

The Beach Boys connection may be important to Stamos/Full House fans, but clearly the Stamos/Full House connection is NOT important to many Beach Boys fans. Some despise it, some tolerate it, some are ambivalent, some and very few seem to enjoy it.

I would also tend to think that actual Stamos fans enjoy seeing and hearing *Stamos* sing “Forever”, as opposed to enjoying seeing a Beach Boys concert or listening to “Sunflower” or something.

The Stamos/Beach Boys pairing isn’t some sort of amazing, no-brainer, musical/multimedia union that makes total sense. This isn’t the David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar tour. This isn’t the Traveling Wilburys. It isn’t one of those Styx/Foreigner/Journey joint tours. There’s not nearly as many true, hardcore “crossover” fans between Stamos and the Beach Boys. Further, by the admission of Stamos himself, a large segment of Beach Boys fans don’t like him and are annoyed by his presence with the band.

I like the idea of Stamos being a fan and a champion of the BB’s work. If the “Rolling Stone” article is to be believed, Stamos was a bigger fan of the ending suite of songs on “TWGMTR” than Mike was. But he could champion their work in many, many ways without becoming a defacto member of the group, or making TV movies that slant the story and go over like a lead balloon with fans and some of the band (again, Stamos seems to be aware that the 2000 miniseries was a mis-step). He could be like Seth McFarlane with that “Cosmos” TV show. Stamos could be lobbying the labels to release more BB archival material (he clearly has Mike’s ear to some degree in fact), he could be telling people in interviews about amazing BB music nobody seems to be aware of.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »

"he could be telling people in interviews about amazing BB music nobody seems to be aware of. ".

Well, it wasn't an interview, but he kinda did introduce that one relatively obscure Dennis Wilson ballad to the masses.

From what I read, Stamos wasn't a huge fan of the show and, like Saget, did it for the paycheck.  And  he was rumored to have exhibited almost-Robert Reed-like bouts of diva behavior on the set.  But he clearly had his bosses' ears since various BB made appearances on that show long after TV producers started passing them up.  When he wanted to sing a BB song on the show, he could have chosen any of the hits. In fact, the first time "Forever" was sung on the show, it was the episode where Stamos marries Lori Loghlin. He could have chosen any of the BB hit ballads. They could have sung Fun, Fun, Fun in a wedding reception scene. But he chose a Dennis song from one of the BB's worst selling albums.  I know BB  fans generally hate him. I wish he would tone the hamminess too. I hated the miniseries as well. And I have no clue if this Full House fans went on to become Sunflower fans or not. But I do know there is crossover between the Monkees fan base and the Brady fan base.  I would not be surprised at all if the FH fan base had a BB contingent, even if a subset of BB fans have no use for Stamos and FH.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »

You would think after so many years of playing with the Beach Boys and other acts, he'd try harder to play better. He's also joined America on stage, backed up Tom Jones at a private gig some weeks ago that got some coverage, and probably has played with other bands. He's been playing for years. He either has no natural talent or he never practices, or both. Every time I've heard him play drums, he's not even in a league with the kid that used to play Ricky Ricardo.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »

I know I'm in the grand minority here, but I really don't mind Stamos playing with The Beach Boys. He's been doing it since, what? 1987? And people are still bitching?

The Beach Boys are a serious band, but they're also a fun band. Obviously hardcore Beach Boys fans would rather concentrate on the "serious" aspect, while Mike has continually chosen the "fun (fun fun)" side.

Concerts are supposed to be entertaining, right? Stamos is an entertainer. Casual Beach Boys fans (the great majority of people who attend Beach Boys shows) want to be entertained. And having Stamos dance around the stage is more entertaining than seeing Randall Kirsch standing completely still in his cowboy hat playing bass and singing falsetto. Stamos is the worst musician on stage, obviously, but Mike's an entertainer too, and he wants his audiences to leave happy.

It probably helps that I was a kid when Full House was on, and I loved watching it. But Stamos has legitimate ties to the Beach Boys, he's been playing with them for over 25 years and he makes the band more entertaining for casual fans. Whatever. It's kind of sad how anti Stamos some Beach Boys fans are.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:21:35 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »

I know I'm in the grand minority here, but I really don't mind Stamos playing with The Beach Boys. He's been doing it since, what? 1987? And people are still bitching?

The Beach Boys are a serious band, but they're also a fun band. Obviously hardcore Beach Boys fans would rather concentrate on the "serious" aspect, while Mike has continually chosen the "fun (fun fun)" side.

Concerts are supposed to be entertaining, right? Stamos is an entertainer. Casual Beach Boys fans (the great majority of people who attend Beach Boys shows) want to be entertained. And having Stamos dance around the stage is more entertaining than seeing Randall Kirsch standing completely still in his cowboy hat playing bass and singing falsetto. Stamos is the worst musician on stage, obviously, but Mike's an entertainer too, and he wants his audiences to be entertained.

It probably helps that I was a kid when Full House was on, and I loved watching it. But Stamos has legitimate ties to the Beach Boys, he's been playing with them for over 25 years and he makes the band more entertaining for casual fans. Whatever. It's kind of sad how anti Stamos some Beach Boys fans are.

NRBQ is pretty entertaining too. And Terry Adams acts like a total LOON behind the piano (a personal favorite of mine btw), but here's the difference...they're not playing air guitar. They're not aping for the camera. They're playing their ass off. They BELONG there. @#$% Stamos. Put me in that category of BB fan. That's how I feel.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »

Concerts are supposed to be entertaining, right? Stamos is an entertainer. Casual Beach Boys fans (the great majority of people who attend Beach Boys shows) want to be entertained. And having Stamos dance around the stage is more entertaining than seeing Randall Kirsch standing completely still in his cowboy hat playing bass and singing falsetto. Stamos is the worst musician on stage, obviously, but Mike's an entertainer too, and he wants his audiences to be entertained.

NRBQ is pretty entertaining too. And Terry Adams acts like a total LOON behind the piano (a personal favorite of mine btw), but here's the difference...they're not playing air guitar. They're not aping for the camera. They're playing their ass off. They BELONG there. @#$% Stamos. Put me in that category of BB fan. That's how I feel.

What cameras are Stamos aping for? Local photographers? He's aping for the fans. If Carl Wilson didn't have a problem having him around, I don't mind having him around.
Nicko1234
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »

Clearly it’s a case of “we’ll never know.” But here’s what we do know: Stamos likely would have been there. The setlist was constrained to a shorter length. The other special guest, Dave, was not prominently featured and was given one lead vocal. I feel pretty safe in guessing that, had Al appeared, he would have sang “Rhonda” and perhaps one or two others, and would have also been in the background as Dave was. I don’t think a damn thing would have been different about that show if Al had been there, other than Al being on stage, strumming rhythm guitar (way low in the mix if at all), and singing a few leads. Stamos would have detracted as he always does, only it would have been more ironic and offensive (to some fans) given the rarity of the lineup on stage. I say this less to chastise anyone involved with the show, and more out of irony considering how much acrimony was involved in the lead-up to the show. Al was never going to figure prominently into the show, and I’ve been saying for a while now that my main apathy toward Al joining Mike’s band is that Al would probably not be given a particularly prominent role.

Stamos sang one song so I think you`re overstating things somewhat.

If Al had been there then he could have sung Rhonda, Sloop, Wouldn`t it be Nice (if he`d wanted to), the bridge of Surfer Girl and that one or two of Then I Kissed Her, Come Go With Me and California Dreamin would have been included. Looking at the setlist that Brian played on that day, I certainly don`t think it was the set list (which may not even have been discussed) that caused Al to play with Brian and his son instead.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »

Nobody in the UK gives a sh*t or has even heard of John Stamos.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

I’m pretty sure we hashed out the “Full House demographics/ratings/syndication” debate some time back. That factor is there, but I think you’re simply hugely overstating it. I lived through that era too. More to the point, it has nothing to do with whom should be on the stage (or who fans *expect* to see on stage) at a Beach Boys concert. Do swarms of fans ask for refunds when Stamos doesn’t turn up at the shows? If the people who “turned us on” to their music need to be on stage, then Dick Clark and Casey Kasem should have been touring with them for decades too.

It’s also worth noting that when asked about these issues in that interview last year, Stamos himself offered none of the excuses/justifications you are. Rather, his attitude was pretty much “I would be annoyed too if I was in the audience, but I love their music, and who *wouldn’t* play on stage if given the chance?” I agreed with most of his points, other than the “who *wouldn’t* play on stage with them?” The answer is, many wouldn’t. Even David Marks would sometimes demur when asked to jump on stage with them in the 80’s and 90’s, and he had more relevance to their music than Stamos does.

I’m loathe to lump groups of fans together, but I think Stamos’ appearance on the C50 tour is a decent test of what type of fan one might be. If you come away from that thinking “Hrrmm, that was kind of tacky and hammy, kind of inappropriate”, that’s one type of fan (and these fans aren’t all “Brianistas” or “sticks in the mud” or anything else), and if you came away feeling it was fine and appropriate and Stamos should have been handed some leads too, then that’s another type of fan.

If I were offered a chance to get on stage with the band and I knew that the (remaining) band members wanted me to be there and the vast majority of the audience would cheer then I wouldn`t let the thoughts of some hardcore fans (who make up a tiny percentage of the audience for an M&B concert) bother me too much.

As for Stamos`s influence...I`ve personally met people who have said that The Beach Boys are their favorite group and that it was Stamos singing Forever that started it. No, that doesn`t mean that they immediately went out and bought Sunflower but they went out and started with a best of as most fans do and worked their way through some other albums.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »

I actually wouldn't mind Stamos making an occasional appearance to sing "Forever" and jam along with the band as a guest. What I do mind is Stamos becoming a "star" feature of a Beach Boys concert, singing hits he had absolutely nothing to do with, while those who actually made the music remain marginalized.

I agree with this point of view or philosophy. I would like to see John Stamos' featured ONLY on "Forever". He does a good job on it. I think what "persuades" Mike to give him more stage time is because the audience's reaction to Stamos is so overwhelmingly positive. At every show I've been to with Stamos (admittedly only a few), he was well-received; the applause was quite loud - before AND AFTER his vocals. I'd even venture to say that more people knew John Stamos (' name) than anybody else on stage with the exception of Mike Love, actually including Mike! Shocked

Every once in a while we have a thread about how we first became aware of The Beach Boys. I'd think John Stamos as a means to discovering The Beach Boys through Full House and his other TV shows numbers in the hundreds of thousands over 30 years.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »

What cameras are Stamos aping for? Local photographers? He's aping for the fans. If Carl Wilson didn't have a problem having him around, I don't mind having him around.

He was annoying at shows when Carl and Al were still in the band too. I've made my own mind up that, from an audience perspective, it's distracting and tacky. I don't know how much Carl enjoyed having him there, versus tolerated it, versus who knows what. But even if it was Carl's personal idea to have him there, it was/is still tacky.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »

Stamos sang one song so I think you`re overstating things somewhat.

If Al had been there then he could have sung Rhonda, Sloop, Wouldn`t it be Nice (if he`d wanted to), the bridge of Surfer Girl and that one or two of Then I Kissed Her, Come Go With Me and California Dreamin would have been included. Looking at the setlist that Brian played on that day, I certainly don`t think it was the set list (which may not even have been discussed) that caused Al to play with Brian and his son instead.

Concerning the setlist, I think that's a lot of assumptions. I don't think the show would have been much different, and I doubt Al would have sang particular songs simply because he "wanted" to. Even during C50, he mentioned having to "ask Mike" to include songs in the setlist. The setlist was hindered by the time limit; I don't think they would have added extra songs for Al.

But the setlist is just one piece of the puzzle, whether we're talking about Stamos or Al. Stamos doesn't come on and sing a song and then depart. He hams it up for much if not most of sets, in some cases. I've seen how silly it looked juxtaposed with the C50 band, and I think it even seems silly within the context of Mike's stage show.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2014, 03:45:15 PM »

I’m pretty sure we hashed out the “Full House demographics/ratings/syndication” debate some time back. That factor is there, but I think you’re simply hugely overstating it. I lived through that era too. More to the point, it has nothing to do with whom should be on the stage (or who fans *expect* to see on stage) at a Beach Boys concert. Do swarms of fans ask for refunds when Stamos doesn’t turn up at the shows? If the people who “turned us on” to their music need to be on stage, then Dick Clark and Casey Kasem should have been touring with them for decades too.

It’s also worth noting that when asked about these issues in that interview last year, Stamos himself offered none of the excuses/justifications you are. Rather, his attitude was pretty much “I would be annoyed too if I was in the audience, but I love their music, and who *wouldn’t* play on stage if given the chance?” I agreed with most of his points, other than the “who *wouldn’t* play on stage with them?” The answer is, many wouldn’t. Even David Marks would sometimes demur when asked to jump on stage with them in the 80’s and 90’s, and he had more relevance to their music than Stamos does.

I’m loathe to lump groups of fans together, but I think Stamos’ appearance on the C50 tour is a decent test of what type of fan one might be. If you come away from that thinking “Hrrmm, that was kind of tacky and hammy, kind of inappropriate”, that’s one type of fan (and these fans aren’t all “Brianistas” or “sticks in the mud” or anything else), and if you came away feeling it was fine and appropriate and Stamos should have been handed some leads too, then that’s another type of fan.

If I were offered a chance to get on stage with the band and I knew that the (remaining) band members wanted me to be there and the vast majority of the audience would cheer then I wouldn`t let the thoughts of some hardcore fans (who make up a tiny percentage of the audience for an M&B concert) bother me too much.

As for Stamos`s influence...I`ve personally met people who have said that The Beach Boys are their favorite group and that it was Stamos singing Forever that started it. No, that doesn`t mean that they immediately went out and bought Sunflower but they went out and started with a best of as most fans do and worked their way through some other albums.

Stamos says himself in that interview that essentially that is what he does, he goes on stage because he likes it. He doesn't care what the fans think clearly.

As for band members, it's obvious Mike and Bruce are fine with him. I think C50 was a case where maybe some band members weren't, but Stamos was there because Mike wanted him there. I suppose it's possible Stamos went to all the members and said "I don't want to take away from the celebratory element and focus on the group; are you cool with me playing most of the show on stage and hamming it up with the audience?", but I somehow doubt that occurred. I'd be curious to know what, if any, message was conveyed to whom after that show.

As for fans turned on to the BB's by Stamos, as I've said, that's great. Doesn't mean he needs to be on stage with them, especially when he's totally superfluous and unneeded. I've attended shows where "old friends" of the artist drop in and shake a tambourine or maybe sing a song. Stamos immediately slips into the role of full-fledged member of the band. To some, that's jarring, perhaps more so as the number of "original" or "core" members on stage have eroded. I didn't have to deal with it during C50, so I say this all observationally.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »

Doesn't mean he needs to be on stage with them, especially when he's totally superfluous and unneeded. 

Of course Stamos is unneeded or unnecessary, musically speaking. 99% of the audience don't know what or how he is playing anyway. They could care less. He is to be seen and only occasionally heard. But that's not really Stamos' role anyway.

John Stamos is being used by Mike Love, not that John could care, and not in a bad way. It is just another attempt by Mike Love to give the audience a little something extra, something more than just watching/listening to the band performing songs, a conversation piece if you will. Mike's been doing that for decades, as misguided as he occasionally has been. Stamos is "parking lot" and "water cooler" material. When people are walking to their car after the show, they will mention Stamos being there, and I would think positively. When they go to work the next day and are standing around the water cooler discussing The Beach Boys' concert they saw last night, they will mention that John Stamos was there and sang "Forever", again positively. That's all Mike is trying to accomplish.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »

Brian’s band were, reportedly, off-put by having Stamos on stage, and Brian has never invited Stamos into his band.

Maybe he would if he knew Stamos shared his affection for Reddi Whip.  Wink
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

Doesn't mean he needs to be on stage with them, especially when he's totally superfluous and unneeded. 

Of course Stamos is unneeded or unnecessary, musically speaking. 99% of the audience don't know what or how he is playing anyway. They could care less. He is to be seen and only occasionally heard. But that's not really Stamos' role anyway.

John Stamos is being used by Mike Love, not that John could care, and not in a bad way. It is just another attempt by Mike Love to give the audience a little something extra, something more than just watching/listening to the band performing songs, a conversation piece if you will. Mike's been doing that for decades, as misguided as he occasionally has been. Stamos is "parking lot" and "water cooler" material. When people are walking to their car after the show, they will mention Stamos being there, and I would think positively. When they go to work the next day and are standing around the water cooler discussing The Beach Boys' concert they saw last night, they will mention that John Stamos was there and sang "Forever", again positively. That's all Mike is trying to accomplish.

Shouldn't we be blaming this on Dennis who threw a knife or something at fanboy Stamos sending him to the (relatively) safer arms of Mike?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

I think that makes sense, and it probably speaks to done of the reasons he was apparently ill at ease concerning elements of the C50 tour.

Mike, according to this scenario, wants people to come away talking about John Stamos after a Beach Boys show. Others perhaps want the music and performances of actual band members to be the topic of discussion.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »

I think that makes sense, and it probably speaks to done of the reasons he was apparently ill at ease concerning elements of the C50 tour.

Mike, according to this scenario, wants people to come away talking about John Stamos after a Beach Boys show. Others perhaps want the music and performances of actual band members to be the topic of discussion.

I think it might be as simple as, Stamos is a friend who also happens to be a musician and something of a household name. If he's hanging around at the show, why not have him come out for a song or two?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »

Yes, exactly! That's what Mike wants to happen as a result of having John Stamos there. You mention actual band members....It's sad but with Carl and Dennis deceased and Brian and Al not being part of The Beach Boys, the actual members aren't the focus anymore. It IS the music, no doubt about that, but Mike wants to OCCASIONALLY add a little personality to the show I believe, something different, just to spruce things up a bit. That's what Stamos does. I view that as a positive, not a negative. No offense, Scott or John. police

You also mentioned an ill at ease feeling during the C50 tour. If you took a poll of the audience at a C50 show that Stamos was playing, and asked the audience who they could name - Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, David Marks, or John Stamos, where do think Stamos would fall in that poll?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:03:57 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »

Yes, exactly! You mention actual band members....It's sad but with Carl and Dennis deceased and Brian and Al not being part of The Beach Boys, the actual members aren't the focus anymore. It IS the music, no doubt about that, but Mike wants to OCCASIONALLY add a little personality to the show I believe, something different, just to spruce things up a bit. That's what Stamos does. I view that as a positive, not a negative. No offense, Scott or John. police

You also mentioned an ill at ease feeling during the C50 tour. If you took a poll of the audience at a C50 show that Stamos was playing, and asked the audience who they could name - Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, David Marks, or John Stamos, where do think Stamos would fall in that poll?

When the C50 tour was announced, a major music-head friend of mine at work stopped me in the hall and asked "Hey, are you gonna go see The Beach Boys?" I said, of course and he goes "They're all gonna be there! ALL The Wilson brothers! Even the ones who quit in the 60's" ...... That might, unfortunately sum up even the most casually educated mass-public fan.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:28 PM »

Mike, according to this scenario, wants people to come away talking about John Stamos after a Beach Boys show. 
Mission accomplished!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »

I think it might be as simple as, Stamos is a friend who also happens to be a musician and something of a household name. If he's hanging around at the show, why not have him come out for a song or two?

That's not what has often happened. He sometimes joins them on tour, and often stays for much or most of the show.

Your scenario is what I have been saying seems more appropriate in my view.

Again, I don't go to these shows, so my trepidation is mostly observational. Mike wants Stamos there. I think Stamos is, again borrowing Wirestone's term, a blight on the band's history. But that doesn't matter.

Nicko1234
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2014, 01:09:11 AM »

Stamos says himself in that interview that essentially that is what he does, he goes on stage because he likes it. He doesn't care what the fans think clearly.

Depends on what you mean by fans doesn`t it. Does he care about what some hardcore fans on the internet think more than the thousands that are applauding him at the concerts?

No and I doubt many would.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx