gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike, Bruce and Dave @ Jones Beach - July 5th  (Read 36912 times)
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »

Is club Kokomo hugely embarassing or ingenious, I can't decide
I don't even know how to describe it. It was outside in this pavilion-thing, with a few tables and chairs here and there. There was a "bar" which was really just a fridge filled with soda, cheap beer, and wine. First drink was free, after that... well, I paid $12 for a Budweiser! There were a couple of large posters (I wouldn't know how else to describe them) - one with a timeline of the band's history (clearly approved by Mike, as their recording of the MIU Album was listed on there as a significant event in the band's history), the other with a list of albums that were released in the US, along with pictures of the album covers that went gold or platinum. In the corner of this poster was a video screen, playing some Beach Boys footage I'd never seen before (but that doesn't mean much, I'm hardly an expert).

All in all it was a nice homage to the band's history, but I was hoping for an actual club-like atmosphere. Maybe in the future they should make space for a dance floor and play the disco version of Here Comes The Night... would have been nice to bust out my dance moves  Afro
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »

Having been a Pre-K teacher during that Kokomo era, what I can speak to are the demographics of those kids, who are the same ages as my own kids. No one was more shocked that The Beach Boys were on a sitcom than I.  My kids were calling from another room that "Uncle Jesse had The Beach Boys on!"  

It would be foolish to suggest that "some new fans" were won.  That does no one justice and just check out the global syndication and viewership.  I would bet that John Stamos has a facial recognition factor that outguns many political leaders.  Shows like Seinfeld, Cosby, and Full House make these "reruns" prime viewing for young people.  

What I do know is that there are millions of new fans, who are and have been watching these shows in many countries and languages and The Beach Boys became stars all over again for new generations.  That is Stamos.  And he is a star, like it or not.  

But, I got the sheet music (easy version) and the kids would learn to skip to it.  And I got PAID for it. It is a great country.  Uncle Jesse!  And in 2014, those fans who were four in the late 80's and some have kids of their own. Guess what they watch? Full House, complete with the mullet hairdos and The Beach Boys.  And, yes, Stamos is appropriate for these shows.  He had the one lead (Forever) that he helped popularize and resurrect for two new generations of fans.

Stamos introduced Dennis Wilson to this generation.  Sorry.  I respectfully disagree.   Wink

I’m pretty sure we hashed out the “Full House demographics/ratings/syndication” debate some time back. That factor is there, but I think you’re simply hugely overstating it. I lived through that era too. More to the point, it has nothing to do with whom should be on the stage (or who fans *expect* to see on stage) at a Beach Boys concert. Do swarms of fans ask for refunds when Stamos doesn’t turn up at the shows? If the people who “turned us on” to their music need to be on stage, then Dick Clark and Casey Kasem should have been touring with them for decades too.

It’s also worth noting that when asked about these issues in that interview last year, Stamos himself offered none of the excuses/justifications you are. Rather, his attitude was pretty much “I would be annoyed too if I was in the audience, but I love their music, and who *wouldn’t* play on stage if given the chance?” I agreed with most of his points, other than the “who *wouldn’t* play on stage with them?” The answer is, many wouldn’t. Even David Marks would sometimes demur when asked to jump on stage with them in the 80’s and 90’s, and he had more relevance to their music than Stamos does.

I’m loathe to lump groups of fans together, but I think Stamos’ appearance on the C50 tour is a decent test of what type of fan one might be. If you come away from that thinking “Hrrmm, that was kind of tacky and hammy, kind of inappropriate”, that’s one type of fan (and these fans aren’t all “Brianistas” or “sticks in the mud” or anything else), and if you came away feeling it was fine and appropriate and Stamos should have been handed some leads too, then that’s another type of fan.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:20:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »

Having been a Pre-K teacher during that Kokomo era, what I can speak to are the demographics of those kids, who are the same ages as my own kids. No one was more shocked that The Beach Boys were on a sitcom than I.  My kids were calling from another room that "Uncle Jesse had The Beach Boys on!"  

It would be foolish to suggest that "some new fans" were won.  That does no one justice and just check out the global syndication and viewership.  I would bet that John Stamos has a facial recognition factor that outguns many political leaders.  Shows like Seinfeld, Cosby, and Full House make these "reruns" prime viewing for young people.  

What I do know is that there are millions of new fans, who are and have been watching these shows in many countries and languages and The Beach Boys became stars all over again for new generations.  That is Stamos.  And he is a star, like it or not.  

But, I got the sheet music (easy version) and the kids would learn to skip to it.  And I got PAID for it. It is a great country.  Uncle Jesse!  And in 2014, those fans who were four in the late 80's and some have kids of their own. Guess what they watch? Full House, complete with the mullet hairdos and The Beach Boys.  And, yes, Stamos is appropriate for these shows.  He had the one lead (Forever) that he helped popularize and resurrect for two new generations of fans.

Stamos introduced Dennis Wilson to this generation.  Sorry.  I respectfully disagree.   Wink

Thank you for that story and your points. It would be interesting to see just how many fans "discovered" the Beach Boys (and Dennis Wilson) through John Stamos' performance of "Forever" on Full House. I think it would be a lot more than people give him/it credit for, especially on this board. Obviously the credit goes to Dennis Wilson and Stephen Kalinich in addition to John Stamos, but I would venture a guess that Stamos' performance/version of "Forever" is more popular and more well-known than any song that Brian Wilson has written, produced, or performed in the last 37 years.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:12:52 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2014, 10:13:05 AM »

Full house is campy relic of the 1980s, not a classic show in my opinion. The BBs at their artistic low point are forever associated with it. I really think it was the 30th box and the PS box that brought them back.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »

Full house is campy relic of the 1980s, not a classic show in my opinion. The BBs at their artistic low point are forever associated with it. I really think it was the 30th box and the PS box that brought them back.

Stamos also acknowledged in that same interview that that era "was not their heyday." I think Stamos understand pretty well his place in relation to the group. He doesn't strike me as feeling justified in playing on stage. He simply enjoys it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »

Bob Saget's new book is funny in how much he hated making the show. There is a story in book how he, Stamos, and coulier did reddi-whip from the actual cans used as props on one episode.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »

Thank you for that story and your points. It would be interesting to see just how many fans "discovered" the Beach Boys (and Dennis Wilson) through John Stamos' performance of "Forever" on Full House. I think it would be a lot more than people give him/it credit for, especially on this board. Obviously the credit goes to Dennis Wilson and Stephen Kalinich in addition to John Stamos, but I would venture a guess that Stamos' performance/version of "Forever" is more popular and more well-known than any song that Brian Wilson has written, produced, or performed in the last 37 years.

But his version of "Forever" was on the SIP album, which failed to enter the TOP 200 chart. It was also released as a single, where it may have only briefly showed up in the AC charts.

Many were *exposed* to Stamos' renditions on TV, some even enjoyed them. But nobody sought out and purchased his rendition of it, which was released with his and the BBs names. If it had been even a decent-sized pop culture phenomenon, the album would have at least cracked the TOP 200.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:26:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »

But his version of "Forever" was on the SIP album, which failed to enter the TOP 200 chart. It was also released as a single, where it may have only briefly showed up in the AC charts.

Many were *exposed* to Stamos' renditions on TV, some even enjoyed them. But nobody sought out and purchased his rendition of it, which was released with his and the BBs names. If it had been even a decent-sized pop culture phenomenon, the album would have at least cracked the TOP 200.
One version on YouTube has 154,00 hits. Another has 1,550,669 hits. One has 248,000 hits.  The Jimmy Fallon Late Night with Jesse and the Rippers has 3,531,405 hits.  Seriously?

Dennis' version had 166,568 from Central Park.  Another had (1971) 110,468 hits.  Just sayin'... Wink

SIP is a distractor to the real issue here.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:02:28 AM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »

Campy or not, it is loosely based on the French film Trois Hommes et un couffin(1985) which was borrowed for Three Men and a Baby.  It grossed millions. And millions.  And it is still in demand for non-violent TV for children.

Saget might be critical now, but I bet he still cashes the check, despite the antics behind the scenes.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »

One version on YouTube has 154,00 hits. Another has 1,550,669 hits. One has 248,000 hits.  The Jimmy Fallon Late Night with Jesse and the Rippers has 3,531,405 hits.  Seriously?

Dennis' version had 166,568 from Central Park.  Another had (1971) 110,468 hits.  Just sayin'... Wink

means absolutely nothing

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »

I actually wouldn't mind Stamos making an occasional appearance to sing "Forever" and jam along with the band as a guest. What I do mind is Stamos becoming a "star" feature of a Beach Boys concert, singing hits he had absolutely nothing to do with, while those who actually made the music remain marginalized.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »

Stamos is a blight on the band and its legacy. There is nothing positive he has ever done for the group, in any way, shape or form. The fact that he continues to appear with the group is a testament to Mike's massively misguided approach to the Beach Boys brand and its value. People were laughing at Stamos in the crowd. It's almost as though Mike wants, in some subconscious way, to sabotage any respect or acclaim the band might still receive.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »

One version on YouTube has 154,00 hits. Another has 1,550,669 hits. One has 248,000 hits.  The Jimmy Fallon Late Night with Jesse and the Rippers has 3,531,405 hits.  Seriously?

Dennis' version had 166,568 from Central Park.  Another had (1971) 110,468 hits.  Just sayin'... Wink
means absolutely nothing
What musician would not want 3 million hits? It is an indicator of popularity and interest.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »

What musician would not want 3 million hits? It is an indicator of popularity and interest.

Is that how you judge music? by youtube views? sales count?

I dunno wanna get all "music is an art form" here...but ya know...it is

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »

Stamos is a blight on the band and its legacy. There is nothing positive he has ever done for the group, in any way, shape or form. The fact that he continues to appear with the group is a testament to Mike's massively misguided approach to the Beach Boys brand and its value. People were laughing at Stamos in the crowd. It's almost as though Mike wants, in some subconscious way, to sabotage any respect or acclaim the band might still receive.
Wirestone - that is a strong feeling. But it isn't substantiated in my vies. Brian appeared on FH.

Maybe the people in the crowd were laughing because they had worn mullets, too, and it was during that clip of the video. They didn't laugh at the snapshot in black and white of Carl singing with Stamos.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2014, 11:08:34 AM »

means absolutely nothing

Jimmy Fallon's popularity.   Not that the pumped up "reunion" wasn't a favorite of 80's TV fans, but comparing concert footage that was uploaded under the radar with the Fallon show's big numbers leaves the NBC late night publicity machine out of the equation.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »

I would be fine if Stamos just introduced the band and appeared in the encore. Instead he hams it up with Mike and plays rockstar to the detriment to the music and BBs legacy. Stamos is a relic of the dark years of the band's artistic bankruptcy and lack of legacy.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »

means absolutely nothing
Jimmy Fallon's popularity.   Not that the pumped up "reunion" wasn't a favorite of 80's TV fans, but comparing concert footage that was uploaded under the radar with the Fallon show's big numbers leaves the NBC late night publicity machine out of the equation.
It would likely have been removed if it was uploaded under the radar for copyright infringement. Someone (3 million someone's sought it out. ) People don't have to like him, but he deserves his due.  Stamos often sang Forever, on tour. And if I remember correctly Carl was running the band, at the time. If BRI didn't want them to appear it likely would not have happened.  But, it must have caused a benefit to flow to them and a reassurgence in popularity.  The numbers speak for themselves.  It got them a captured family-based audience.  And some fans hate him for that ? He is their biggest fan.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

I would be fine if Stamos just introduced the band and appeared in the encore. Instead he hams it up with Mike and plays rockstar to the detriment to the music and BBs legacy. Stamos is a relic of the dark years of the band's artistic bankruptcy and lack of legacy.
The Kokomo era was one of rediscovery of the band's work. It wasn't Pet Sounds, but it might have opened the door for new fans to discover all the gems.

Maybe it is not "politically correct" around here to have this position, but it is an open forum... Wink
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »

Bob Saget's new book is funny in how much he hated making the show. There is a story in book how he, Stamos, and coulier did reddi-whip from the actual cans used as props on one episode.

Robert Reed hated doing the Brady Bunch too.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2014, 11:35:01 AM »

I read about that, he absolutely HATED doing that show. He would fight with directors and try to rewrite the scripts.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »

Total agreement here. In fact, I bet Mike took the Stamos exclusion from C50 (post the NYC shows) as a personal affront, a challenge to his ego, to his concept of the "brand". As long as you have John Stamos dancing about and strutting it on stage at a Beach Boys concert, the Beach Boys become a j-o-k-e. A humiliation. A spent force.

Who knows how contentious the discussions were between Mike and the 'other guys' when they suggested that Uncle Jessie 'give it a rest'. It was probably then that Mike thought '@#$ this'.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »

One version on YouTube has 154,00 hits. Another has 1,550,669 hits. One has 248,000 hits.  The Jimmy Fallon Late Night with Jesse and the Rippers has 3,531,405 hits.  Seriously?

Dennis' version had 166,568 from Central Park.  Another had (1971) 110,468 hits.  Just sayin'... Wink

SIP is a distractor to the real issue here.

It is neither legally nor logically the case that something is only “under the radar” if it has been pulled from YouTube due to copyright infringement. Much if not most of what is on YouTube is technically copyright infringement. It’s just a matter of whether the rights holders enforce it.

As for SIP, it is not a distractor at all. It’s 100% appropriate to discuss when we’re talking specifically about Stamos and his remake of “Forever”, and how popular it was. As others have suggested, YouTube views aren’t a great measure of much. I watched a guy reviewing Godzilla toys on YouTube that has tens of thousands of views for each of his videos. Does anyone on the street know who “GodzillaMothraFanBoy2356” is? The point is, how much somebody likes something can, to some degree, be measured more by how much money they’re willing to shell out to buy it. People will click on a free YouTube video of anything. How many bought Stamos’ song on CD back in 1992? So few that there were *at least* TWO HUNDRED albums on any given week that people bought more copies of. CD sales should have been *higher* then, since there was no internet to listen/watch for free and no way to illegally or legally download the song.

If Stamos were serious about being a singer or musician, or if he had a following of fans that go to see him in concert, then he would be booking tours. 

Stamos has a certain level of celebrity. That has nothing to do with the Beach Boys. Sometimes I hedge too much. Wirestone is right, and picked the perfect word. Stamos is a blight on the Beach Boys brand/legacy/history. I can’t say it’s a bad thing if some young folks got “into” the Beach Boys (and by “into” I mean actually used it as a gateway to really get into the band, not just to nostalgically remember “Kokomo” twenty years later) through Stamos and Full House. But this idea that swarms of younger fans going to shows now are hardcore “Full House” fans who are now hardcore Beach Boys fans is overstated.

Stamos is, in fact, quite useful in demonstrating the chasm between two of the band’s fanbases, and also the chasm between some members of the band. Mike’s band (presumably) likes playing with Stamos. Mike likes playing with Stamos. Brian’s band were, reportedly, off-put by having Stamos on stage, and Brian has never invited Stamos into his band. It isn’t totally simplifying things to go back to the idea that Brian’s band are uber-BeachBoys-nerds who dig playing “Pet Sounds” and “Smile”, while Mike likes to get girls dancing in stage, cheerleaders on stage (in the 90’s, yes, I know), and telling the audience that the real reason the Beach Boys are cool is because they guest starred on a 25-year-old sitcom with John Stamos.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »

Speaking of Bruce, whoever put this together, thank you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9qb05ra7I

oh god

Bruce and his stage antics ^^
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2014, 12:10:15 PM »

Back with the Brady Bunch comparisons.  Davy Jones famously guested on the Brady Bunch and sang "Girl" which was his then-current single. Did it chart? No. Did it sell any significant amount? No, not really.  The Brady's weren't that big during the show's first run and lasted 5 seasons.  In terms of  "quality television" (read:critically acclaimed), BB wasn't even in the same stratosphere as All In the Family or Mary Tyler Moore or MASH.

But during its syndication run, it became even more popular than it was during its run spawning a cottage industry of everything Brady including several made-for-TV films and a dramatized update of the show featuring the original cast and characters, two feature films, memoirs from various cast members and even a stage show.  To the Brady cult, one of  the most popular pieces of minutiae is the Davy Jones appearance.  Davy recreated his guest role in the stage show and performed "Girl" in the feature movie which by that time (the mid-90's)  meant that despite not having been a hit song,  "Girl" was now a popular enough number that Davy put it in his own solo shows and Monkees shows until  his death.  And it was always well-received by his audiences.

Full House shared many similarities with the Brady's. Both shows were pariahs to discerning TV viewers (a fact not lost on Miller-Boyett - they told the show's writers "OK, you'd rather  write for  Seinfeld or Cheers?  OK, take that sensibility and apply it to our show"). Both were popular among families and both featured beloved 60's pop stars in famous guest appearances.  full House is to Gen Y and younger what the Brady's were to Gen X, a fondly remembered childhood favorite.  Since it went off network TV in 1995, it has been a huge staple in reruns. Still. To this day.  The Olsen sisters owe their financial empire to Full House fans. Bob Saget tours constantly and his audience is the Full House audience who aren't insulted by the fact that their favorite TV dad hated telling corny sitcom jokes to their younger selves.  John Stamos has never been out of work for the last 20 years whether it be Broadway, made-for -TV films, ER, Glee. Hell, Stamos reunited with Saget and Dave Coulier for a yogurt commercial that aired during the Super Bowl. The freakin' Super Bowl!  And that fan base knows the Beach Boys. They may not be Brianistas. May not even care about SMiLE, but they do know who they are and John Stamos singing that Dennis Wilson song from side 2 of Sunflower is their equivalent of Davy Jones singing "Girl" to Marcia Brady*.  As cring-inducing as the Stamos-Love bromance can be to some of us, I can't really find it in my heart to want to wish  someone's childhood memory away simply because that image doesn't fit my own personal image of what the Beach Boys are and should be.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx