gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:10:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike, Bruce and Dave @ Jones Beach - July 5th  (Read 36903 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »

Hi Everyone-

We had a great time at the Jones Beach show.  I, too regret that it was restricted to 90 minutes.  We were given a strict 10:30 curfew and we ended at 10:29.  We did our best to cover all the bases we could in that time schedule.  SJS, Disney Girls IS a staple of our normal-length shows, and is one of my favorites, but at nearly 5 minutes in length, we just couldn't squeeze it in this time.

Despite all that, it was a blast to play there and have David with us.

Scott
Thanks for a fantastic show Scott!!! Hearing Pom Pom Play Girl and Farmer's Daughter during the soundcheck was fantastic!! I really hope you incorporate those into the show at some point and continue to do more rarities like those! Again fantastic show had a blast!
Thanks - Derek
rocky1023
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this board, well I'm returning after many surfer moons. I was at the show the other night, and it was GREAT to see the guys, hear the songs and feel a nice ocean breeze as I did, seemed fitting! I was really put off by John Stamos. Honestly I knew he had an association to the band, and know that he loves the music, but bring him out for Kokomo, and leave it at that! To remove John Cowsill off the drums to bring on Stamo's, was a mistake. First off his drums weren't as in the mix as Johns, and quite frankly Cowsill is a better fit for the music, he plays near the original parts. John Stamo's was having fun and that's great......But I came to see the Beach Boys, I came to hear The Beach Boys. I accept the backing members, as they stay true to the music. but can we leave Uncle Jessie home?

I went through all kinds of changes, took a look at myself and said that's not me!
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »

Forever w/ Stamos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgQeMeC7a6E
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 07:40:37 PM »

Oh, ok. People are laughing at it, because they're showing cheesy shots of Stamos. That's pretty cool.

Did The Muppets ever sing God Only Knows? They could show up for a couple of gigs a year. Who needs Carl?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »

Is club Kokomo hugely embarassing or ingenious, I can't decide

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »

Lord help us.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

John can't sing, can he?
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:26 AM »

He's actually a pretty decent singer most nights. Maybe the sea air got to him (I'm only half kidding).
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2014, 06:06:53 AM »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this board, well I'm returning after many surfer moons. I was at the show the other night, and it was GREAT to see the guys, hear the songs and feel a nice ocean breeze as I did, seemed fitting! I was really put off by John Stamos. Honestly I knew he had an association to the band, and know that he loves the music, but bring him out for Kokomo, and leave it at that! To remove John Cowsill off the drums to bring on Stamo's, was a mistake. First off his drums weren't as in the mix as Johns, and quite frankly Cowsill is a better fit for the music, he plays near the original parts. John Stamo's was having fun and that's great......But I came to see the Beach Boys, I came to hear The Beach Boys. I accept the backing members, as they stay true to the music. but can we leave Uncle Jessie home?
Glad you're back and saw the show.  Stamos seemed initially sort of a non-conventional choice, but, he has, in his own right become part of American culture, whether people like it or not. His former series ran eight seasons and it in virtually every TV market on this planet. He has a following that the "classic" rock fans, who are "purists" might not appreciate. But, those of us have raised kids, who have become BB fans as a direct result of Full House, despite musical brainwashing can be grateful that he drew fans into the mix, with the BB cameo appearances on his series. Those millions of kids were a captive audience for The Beach Boys. Uncle Jesse made the introduction.

Stamos and The Fat Boys, made fans out if my kids.  My son's girlfriend can't wait to see the BB's but she really likes Stamos, and wants to see them because of him. I'll take it.  I find his drumming closer to Dennis' - very straight-forward without the fancy stuff.  And for each one who finds it cheesy, ten (young fans) are enamored with him and the BB's by extension.

Cowsill is another story.  Gifted, and his formation under the tutelage of his older, very musically creative brothers, working on vocal blending, took place in an era that I consider the Golden Age of Rock, and is unique. He appears to have absorbed it like a sponge, at a very young age.  I'm delighted to see Stamos along for some performances because Cowsill gets a lead in front of an audience, rather than behind the drum kit.  He does a lot of Carl's leads and has a strong voice.  He interprets Rhonda in a very sassy style, not far afield from the MIC version done by Dennis.  

He is on par with the greatest drummers of rock.  JMHO
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:14:06 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 06:41:12 AM »

Glad you're back and saw the show.  Stamos seemed initially sort of a non-conventional choice, but, he has, in his own right become part of American culture, whether people like it or not. His former series ran eight seasons and it in virtually every TV market on this planet. He has a following that the "classic" rock fans, who are "purists" might not appreciate. But, those of us have raised kids, who have become BB fans as a direct result of Full House, despite musical brainwashing can be grateful that he drew fans into the mix, with the BB cameo appearances on his series. Those millions of kids were a captive audience for The Beach Boys. Uncle Jesse made the introduction.

Stamos and The Fat Boys, made fans out if my kids.  My son's girlfriend can't wait to see the BB's but she really likes Stamos, and wants to see them because of him. I'll take it.  I find his drumming closer to Dennis' - very straight-forward without the fancy stuff.  And for each one who finds it cheesy, ten (young fans) are enamored with him and the BB's by extension.

Cowsill is another story.  Gifted, and his formation under the tutelage of his older, very musically creative brothers, working on vocal blending, took place in an era that I consider the Golden Age of Rock, and is unique. He appears to have absorbed it like a sponge, at a very young age.  I'm delighted to see Stamos along for some performances because Cowsill gets a lead in front of an audience, rather than behind the drum kit.  He does a lot of Carl's leads and has a strong voice.  He interprets Rhonda in a very sassy style, not far afield from the MIC version done by Dennis.  

I think John Cowsill’s drumming is great, and I’ll be first in line to buy tickets to see him drum with “C53” or “C55” or whatever the reunited lineup can pull together. But why can’t he just be a really fine drummer? My own opinion is that “one of the greatest drummers of rock” is hugely hyperbolic, especially based on his drum work with the Beach Boys. You’d have to be familiar with A LOT of “rock drummers” to suggest he’s one of the “greatest.” I haven’t surveyed nearly enough drummers to say who is the greatest, but even I would not go anywhere near suggesting he’s one of the greatest. But as I said, I guess it’s my own problem that I have with questioning why we can’t just say something is really good because he we like it, but rather it has to skip straight to hyperbole.

As for Stamos, I know enough about drums to say he’s a mediocre drummer at best, setting aside anything to do with his celebrity or personality. I would say Dennis, on his good days anyway, was a technically more proficient drummer. I’d say even Kowalski back in the 60’s and 70’s at least was a better drummer. As I’ve mentioned way in the past, and this was alluded to by David Marks in an interview way back around 2000 or so, it’s clear musicianship is just a background hobby for Stamos. Nothing wrong with that; acting is his primary thing clearly. But it also means being opened up to scrutiny when getting on stage, especially with a famous band. He’s never refined his guitar playing or drumming past the ability to get through songs and pose as a rock star. It’s all posing. I’ve seen enough of his live appearances with the group to see that he obviously gets off on being a rockstar for a night (or many nights when he follows them on tours for runs of shows).

As I noted in my blog, it’s clear Stamos was given prominence at the Jones Beach show. The Jones Beach Facebook page has a photo album from the show, and there are seemingly over a dozen shots (many solo) of Stamos, and exactly one picture of David Marks. So the irony in all of the Jardine kerfuffle regarding Jones Beach is that he likely would have been relegated to the background like Dave was, singing a lead or two, and stepping back while Stamos struts and hams it up. Bringing Stamos on and giving him such prominence at a show that would have reunited four of the band members (and even three as it ended up being) during a show with an already-shortened setlist kind of devalues the whole thing to me.

That interview last year with Stamos in “Guitar Aficionado” was quite interesting. He clearly KNOWS fans are annoyed by him, and kind of admitted he would be annoyed if he were a fan in the audience as well. What surprises me is that, while to some degree he tried to peg these fans as “hardcore Brian Wilson” fans, I’m not seeing a number of pretty staunch supporters of Mike’s band who also find Stamos highly annoying.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2014, 06:58:23 AM »

I think John Cowsill’s drumming is great, and I’ll be first in line to buy tickets to see him drum with “C53” or “C55” or whatever the reunited lineup can pull together. But why can’t he just be a really fine drummer? My own opinion is that “one of the greatest drummers of rock” is hugely hyperbolic, especially based on his drum work with the Beach Boys. You’d have to be familiar with A LOT of “rock drummers” to suggest he’s one of the “greatest.” I haven’t surveyed nearly enough drummers to say who is the greatest, but even I would not go anywhere near suggesting he’s one of the greatest. But as I said, I guess it’s my own problem that I have with questioning why we can’t just say something is really good because he we like it, but rather it has to skip straight to hyperbole.

As for Stamos, I know enough about drums to say he’s a mediocre drummer at best, setting aside anything to do with his celebrity or personality. I would say Dennis, on his good days anyway, was a technically more proficient drummer. I’d say even Kowalski back in the 60’s and 70’s at least was a better drummer. As I’ve mentioned way in the past, and this was alluded to by David Marks in an interview way back around 2000 or so, it’s clear musicianship is just a background hobby for Stamos. Nothing wrong with that; acting is his primary thing clearly. But it also means being opened up to scrutiny when getting on stage, especially with a famous band. He’s never refined his guitar playing or drumming past the ability to get through songs and pose as a rock star. It’s all posing. I’ve seen enough of his live appearances with the group to see that he obviously gets off on being a rockstar for a night (or many nights when he follows them on tours for runs of shows).

As I noted in my blog, it’s clear Stamos was given prominence at the Jones Beach show. The Jones Beach Facebook page has a photo album from the show, and there are seemingly over a dozen shots (many solo) of Stamos, and exactly one picture of David Marks. So the irony in all of the Jardine kerfuffle regarding Jones Beach is that he likely would have been relegated to the background like Dave was, singing a lead or two, and stepping back while Stamos struts and hams it up. Bringing Stamos on and giving him such prominence at a show that would have reunited four of the band members (and even three as it ended up being) during a show with an already-shortened setlist kind of devalues the whole thing to me.

That interview last year with Stamos in “Guitar Aficionado” was quite interesting. He clearly KNOWS fans are annoyed by him, and kind of admitted he would be annoyed if he were a fan in the audience as well. What surprises me is that, while to some degree he tried to peg these fans as “hardcore Brian Wilson” fans, I’m not seeing a number of pretty staunch supporters of Mike’s band who also find Stamos highly annoying.

Not hyperbole, just not getting the recognition as yet.  The C50 intro for Do It Again supports that.  I liken his position to Carl's many interviews where Brian "made him sing." Except my take is that Cowsill took to the drums like a duck to water.  Brian had his own guys on drums for his whole solo career.  Cowsill was the choice.  And, not unlike Carl, he grew in the job with his family's band.  The Cowsill work became a part of American culture as well. Everyone from the late 60's knows The Rain, the Park, etc.  and even if they forget who sings it, they know the melody.  As well as Hair.

At the end of the day, my son's 27 year old girlfriend likes The Beach Boys because of John Stamos. How they "get there" (as a fan) doesn't matter.  Only that they do.   Wink
Nicko1234
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:36 AM »

As the show didn`t reunite 4 members, I don`t think that really matters now.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »

I appreciate John Stamos is a huge fan of the band but jeez, when he become the center of attention at a Beach Boys show.........if Mike haters want a good reason to do so, this is a great (and ongoing) opportunity.

Just like (most) people hated the cheerleader act of the 80's / 90's having Stamos onstage is just about as distracting.  It's a shame David got pushed into the background a bit.  Mike can certainly do what he wants and that's cool but it's clear what he thinks is "great for the brand" may not be shared by fans.

To each his own and that's cool.

I wonder, do you think that Mike gets some deep down personal satisfaction when John sings "Forever" and erases Denny's shining moment from the show?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:54:53 AM by Foster's Freeze » Logged

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Nicko1234
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »

I wonder, do you think that Mike gets some deep down personal satisfaction when John sings "Forever" and erases Denny's shining moment from the show?

You can`t erase something that isn`t normally present in the first place. When Stamos isn`t there they don`t play Forever anyway...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »

As the show didn`t reunite 4 members, I don`t think that really matters now.

But Stamos surely still would have been there if Al had. The point was that no special emphasis was ever going to be placed on the special guests, other than Stamos I guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »

You can`t erase something that isn`t normally present in the first place. When Stamos isn`t there they don`t play Forever anyway...

Haven't they sometimes been doing the C50 version singing along to Dennis? It's possible in some cases the presence of Stamos literally preempts the Dennis tribute.

Nicko1234
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 08:10:09 AM »

But Stamos surely still would have been there if Al had. The point was that no special emphasis was ever going to be placed on the special guests, other than Stamos I guess.

Maybe he would. But how do we know they would have placed no emphasis? From photos put up after the show of Stamos? If it had been something of a reunion then that would have been a bigger deal. David being with the band means nothing to most people sadly.
Nicko1234
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »

Haven't they sometimes been doing the C50 version singing along to Dennis? It's possible in some cases the presence of Stamos literally preempts the Dennis tribute.

Have they?
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2014, 08:16:07 AM »

Have they?

I think they soundchecked it, I don't believe they've actually done it in a show.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »

Maybe he would. But how do we know they would have placed no emphasis? From photos put up after the show of Stamos? If it had been something of a reunion then that would have been a bigger deal. David being with the band means nothing to most people sadly.

Clearly it’s a case of “we’ll never know.” But here’s what we do know: Stamos likely would have been there. The setlist was constrained to a shorter length. The other special guest, Dave, was not prominently featured and was given one lead vocal. I feel pretty safe in guessing that, had Al appeared, he would have sang “Rhonda” and perhaps one or two others, and would have also been in the background as Dave was. I don’t think a damn thing would have been different about that show if Al had been there, other than Al being on stage, strumming rhythm guitar (way low in the mix if at all), and singing a few leads. Stamos would have detracted as he always does, only it would have been more ironic and offensive (to some fans) given the rarity of the lineup on stage. I say this less to chastise anyone involved with the show, and more out of irony considering how much acrimony was involved in the lead-up to the show. Al was never going to figure prominently into the show, and I’ve been saying for a while now that my main apathy toward Al joining Mike’s band is that Al would probably not be given a particularly prominent role.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »

Not hyperbole, just not getting the recognition as yet.  The C50 intro for Do It Again supports that.  I liken his position to Carl's many interviews where Brian "made him sing." Except my take is that Cowsill took to the drums like a duck to water.  Brian had his own guys on drums for his whole solo career.  Cowsill was the choice.  And, not unlike Carl, he grew in the job with his family's band.  The Cowsill work became a part of American culture as well. Everyone from the late 60's knows The Rain, the Park, etc.  and even if they forget who sings it, they know the melody.  As well as Hair.

At the end of the day, my son's 27 year old girlfriend likes The Beach Boys because of John Stamos. How they "get there" (as a fan) doesn't matter.  Only that they do.   Wink

Let me be clear that out of all the available drummers, I would pick John Cowsill as well. That being said, I would think part of his appearance on C50 was due to negotiation/politics, for Mike to at least get a couple of his guys in the band. I’m sure Brian dug playing with Cowsill too, but I doubt Brian started off by demanding Cowsill. How many times had Brian met Cowsill or heard him play with Mike’s “Beach Boys” prior to C50? Again, I think Cowsill was an excellent choice, and he’d be my first pick for another reunion tour, and I would think Brian approved highly of his playing. But let’s be honest with ourselves about what goes into picking any of these musicians, especially when we’re talking about the political minefield that was/is C50.

As for his drumming, I could pick about a hundred points in the show that demonstrate his drumming expertise without pointing out the opening to “Do It Again”, which is a pretty basic intro that every drummer in BB history has been able to do perfectly well. Not sure how that demonstrates drumming prowess.

Back to Stamos, I will absolutely grant he won the band some new fans in the 1988-1994 timeframe or so. That has pretty much nothing to do with whether he needs to be prominently featured at a show in 2014. I’d say the same thing if the Fat Boys got on stage and rapped through the entire show. Again, even Stamos has said he *understands* why people are annoyed by him being there.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »

Have they?

I think they soundchecked it, I don't believe they've actually done it in a show.

My apologies if it’s never been done in concert. I do recall the reports of it being rehearsed at soundcheck. Reviews of Mike’s shows are sporadic here, so I don’t know if there might be any references to this being done in concert.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »

Clearly it’s a case of “we’ll never know.” But here’s what we do know: Stamos likely would have been there. The setlist was constrained to a shorter length. The other special guest, Dave, was not prominently featured and was given one lead vocal. I feel pretty safe in guessing that, had Al appeared, he would have sang “Rhonda” and perhaps one or two others, and would have also been in the background as Dave was. I don’t think a damn thing would have been different about that show if Al had been there, other than Al being on stage, strumming rhythm guitar (way low in the mix if at all), and singing a few leads. Stamos would have detracted as he always does, only it would have been more ironic and offensive (to some fans) given the rarity of the lineup on stage. I say this less to chastise anyone involved with the show, and more out of irony considering how much acrimony was involved in the lead-up to the show. Al was never going to figure prominently into the show, and I’ve been saying for a while now that my main apathy toward Al joining Mike’s band is that Al would probably not be given a particularly prominent role.

Cmon... There's no way Al would have been pushed to the back if he were at that show. He and Bruce would have been flanking Mike.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »

Cmon... There's no way Al would have been pushed to the back if he were at that show. He and Bruce would have been flanking Mike.

I certainly didn’t mean literally pushed to the back of the stage. I would imagine he would have been on the “front line.” But he wouldn’t have been featured very prominently, certainly not much more so (if at all) than Scott Totten or John Stamos. Whether that’s fine with some fans is certainly up for debate, but again, I was simply referencing the irony of all of the acrimony surrounding Al’s participation in light of how he wouldn’t have been very prominently featured most likely.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2014, 09:48:42 AM »

Let me be clear that out of all the available drummers, I would pick John Cowsill as well. That being said, I would think part of his appearance on C50 was due to negotiation/politics, for Mike to at least get a couple of his guys in the band. I’m sure Brian dug playing with Cowsill too, but I doubt Brian started off by demanding Cowsill. How many times had Brian met Cowsill or heard him play with Mike’s “Beach Boys” prior to C50? Again, I think Cowsill was an excellent choice, and he’d be my first pick for another reunion tour, and I would think Brian approved highly of his playing. But let’s be honest with ourselves about what goes into picking any of these musicians, especially when we’re talking about the political minefield that was/is C50.

As for his drumming, I could pick about a hundred points in the show that demonstrate his drumming expertise without pointing out the opening to “Do It Again”, which is a pretty basic intro that every drummer in BB history has been able to do perfectly well. Not sure how that demonstrates drumming prowess.

Back to Stamos, I will absolutely grant he won the band some new fans in the 1988-1994 timeframe or so. That has pretty much nothing to do with whether he needs to be prominently featured at a show in 2014. I’d say the same thing if the Fat Boys got on stage and rapped through the entire show. Again, even Stamos has said he *understands* why people are annoyed by him being there.
Having been a Pre-K teacher during that Kokomo era, what I can speak to are the demographics of those kids, who are the same ages as my own kids. No one was more shocked that The Beach Boys were on a sitcom than I.  My kids were calling from another room that "Uncle Jesse had The Beach Boys on!"  

It would be foolish to suggest that "some new fans" were won.  That does no one justice and just check out the global syndication and viewership.  I would bet that John Stamos has a facial recognition factor that outguns many political leaders.  Shows like Seinfeld, Cosby, and Full House make these "reruns" prime viewing for young people.  

What I do know is that there are millions of new fans, who are and have been watching these shows in many countries and languages and The Beach Boys became stars all over again for new generations.  That is Stamos.  And he is a star, like it or not.  

But, I got the sheet music (easy version) and the kids would learn to skip to it.  And I got PAID for it. It is a great country.  Uncle Jesse!  And in 2014, those fans who were four in the late 80's and some have kids of their own. Guess what they watch? Full House, complete with the mullet hairdos and The Beach Boys.  And, yes, Stamos is appropriate for these shows.  He had the one lead (Forever) that he helped popularize and resurrect for two new generations of fans.

Stamos introduced Dennis Wilson to this generation.  Sorry.  I respectfully disagree.   Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx