gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:12:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4th of July is one HELL of a song.  (Read 28363 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2014, 11:14:23 PM »

Carl's delivery bothered me the first time I heard it. Learning that it was a scratch vocal, things made sense.

This.

Though I still don't care for the song very much.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »

Melody's weak, singing isn't strong, production is bland and typical, and the lyrics are cheesy and lifted from "The Star-Spangled" banner (which only makes it cheesier).
All this combined with how the song moves like molasses creates something I really don't care for.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »

Melody's weak, singing isn't strong, production is bland and typical, and the lyrics are cheesy and lifted from "The Star-Spangled" banner (which only makes it cheesier).
All this combined with how the song moves like molasses creates something I really don't care for.

Still, if the song was fully completed, you might think better of the song. It is after all, an incomplete demo.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2014, 11:27:01 PM »

Carl really liked bland AOR production Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »

Still, if the song was fully completed, you might think better of the song. It is after all, an incomplete demo.

It's possible.

The song tries to be very grand and epic, and I don't know if it could necessarily get there to pull it off.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2014, 01:34:30 AM »

It alludes to the Star Spangled Banner. That's the point.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2014, 03:42:06 AM »

No, it's not. The track is finished.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2014, 03:47:16 AM »

I'm with Wuvvly on this one. I could never understand why people would want to re-jig Surf's Up to accommodate this song. WIBNTLA, Sound Of Free or Lady, maybe but 4th of July? Snoozefest imo - probably the reason it stayed in the can.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2014, 10:14:42 AM »

No, it's not. The track is finished.

That's good to learn . So all these people saying 'I'd like it if it'd been finished' are in fact talking utter guff. What they mean is 'I don't like it'.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »

Why? Saying 'if it had been finished I might like it' means nothing more than that.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »

Why? Saying 'if it had been finished I might like it' means nothing more than that.

Yes, but if it is finished then the comment is meaningless...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »

I didn't think it was finished until AGD's post. How would anyone else know? There is very little information on these unreleased BB songs, and as far as I knew the song was unfinished. Now I know it's not and it really doesnt make a difference  Grin

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2014, 11:22:41 AM »

Someone wrote this in the comments section under 4th of July on YouTube:

Incredible song. I can't believe any of the Boys would be okay with this and Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again not being included on "Surfs Up". It makes me really angry at them.

Couldn't have put it better myself. You frequently hear these unreleased tracks and just think 'What were they thinking?Huh?'
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »

I mean the instrumental track is finished. Not the vocal, obviously.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »

It's absolutely absurd that people think Dennis was a "genius." I'm getting sick of fanboys throwing around that term and mentioning him along with Brian. Get serious. You like Dennis? Fine. You don't have to act like he was something he was not. Very few people in the world can be considered true geniuses, and Brian Wilson was one of only a handful of people in pop music history who can be considered a musical genius.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »

It's absolutely absurd that people think Dennis was a "genius." I'm getting sick of fanboys throwing around that term and mentioning him along with Brian. Get serious. You like Dennis? Fine. You don't have to act like he was something he was not. Very few people in the world can be considered true geniuses, and Brian Wilson was one of only a handful of people in pop music history who can be considered a musical genius.

Here is a list of Dennis songs from between 1968-1972 that the band didn't bother to include on any of their albums:

A Time To Live In Dreams
Mona Kani
San Miguel
Lady
I'm Going Your Way
Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
4th Of July
Carry me Home

That right there is one incredible album!

It's not just that Dennis' songwriting was so good that his fans rave about him; it's that he was - and in many ways continues to be - vastly under-rated by the group, much of their fan base and the general public at large. This only adds to the appreciation of his talents.

Whether he possessed genius or not is open to debate - he was, in my view, a exceptionally gifted but deeply troubled man - but to dismiss or downplay his songwriting ability when faced with a list such as that above is, well, I won't say what I think it is... Each to their own. But please don't say opinions such as mine are 'absurd'.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »

Here is a list of Dennis songs from between 1968-1972 that the band didn't bother to include on any of their albums:

A Time To Live In Dreams
Mona Kani
San Miguel
Lady
I'm Going Your Way
4th Of July
Carry me Home

It's not just that Dennis' songwriting was so good that his fans rave about him; it's that he was - and in many ways continues to be - vastly under-rated by the group, much of their fan base and the general public at large. This only adds to the appreciation of his talents.

All great songs but remember,
(a) Mona Kani was unfinished
(b) Lady was a solo track which did get released
(c) WIBNTLA and 4th of July were pulled by Dennis himself.

Dennis still got 2 to 3 songs of his on each album during the 'band years', roughly the same as every other band member. I see no evidence that he was held back by other members at all. I'd also argue that although not as prolific, Carl, Bruce and Mike all wrote songs as good as Dennis during this period.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:34:33 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »

Agreed. Off the top of my head here are the few people who I would consider a true musical genius.

Mozart
Harry Partch
Edgar Varse
Brian Wilson
Frank Zappa

and MAYBE
Phil Spector (for his innovations in production)
Bob Dylan (as a lyrical genius at his peak)
David Bowie ( a minor genius in that he could effortlessly flit from style to style and deliver the goods)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:47:19 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2014, 10:57:13 PM »

A Time To Live In Dreams
Mona Kani
San Miguel
Lady
I'm Going Your Way
4th Of July
Carry me Home

All great songs but remember,
(a) Mona Kani was unfinished
(b) Lady was a solo track which did get released
(c) WIBNTLA and 4th of July were pulled by Dennis himself.

Dennis still got 2 to 3 songs of his on each album during the 'band years', roughly the same as every other band member. I see no evidence that he was held back by other members at all. I'd also argue that although not as prolific, Carl, Bruce and Mike all wrote songs as good as Dennis during this period.

Re your points:

a) Fair enough.
b) I said 'here are songs the band didn't bother to include on albums'; Lady was clearly considered for inclusion on at least one album - it's far too gorgeous a ballad to have been dropped.
c) Yeah but the group should have acknowledged the brilliance of these two songs and included them anyway; after all, Brian didn't want SU on Surf's Up but they bunged it on anyway (likewise, Our Prayer and Cabinessence on 20/20). It just seems the group (and Jack Rieley) far too easily went 'Ok we'll leave those songs in the vault' when Dennis started throwing his toys out the pram, whereas they should have appreciated the quality of the songs and how much they'd improve the album and how much the fans deserved to hear such brilliant material.

Who decided to pull Carry Me Home from Holland?
And re no evidence of Dennis not being appreciated? Come on, even Al has gone on record as saying 'we didn't realise what we had'. With a few notable exceptions, the material Dennis was producing was frequently superior to that of his band mates.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:20:13 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:10 AM »

But as I pointed out before, Dennis was more prolific than the others so it stands to reason that in the democratic period he would have more songs left off albums. The only other option would be to have the others give up album space to accommodate him and where we majorly differ is that I don't see Dennis as a far better songwriter than Carl, Mike etc...

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »

But as I pointed out before, Dennis was more prolific than the others so it stands to reason that in the democratic period he would have more songs left off albums. The only other option would be to have the others give up album space to accommodate him and where we majorly differ is that I don't see Dennis as a far better songwriter than Carl, Mike etc...

So, just for arguments sake... You don't think Surf's Up would have been better with the inclusion of 4th of July and WIBNTLA either as well as or in place of some of Mike and Al's contributions? I just think pretty much every album from 20/20 to Holland - excellent as they all are - could have been even better with the inclusion of the aforementioned shelved Dennis tracks. Honestly, you don't think Carry Me Home would've taken Holland onto a whole other layer of brilliance (and I say that someone who adores Holland)?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »

I think there's a lot of shelved tracks that could have made their albums better - not just Dennis'.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »

So, just for arguments sake... You don't think Surf's Up would have been better with the inclusion of 4th of July and WIBNTLA either as well as or in place of some of Mike and Al's contributions?

Of course they would have made an excellent record even better but their not being on the record was the choice of Dennis and Dennis alone. They weren't left off because the others didn't want them on. You can't hold them up as examples of Dennis being held back.

Honestly, you don't think Carry Me Home would've taken Holland onto a whole other layer of brilliance (and I say that someone who adores Holland)?

I can't see Carry Me Home fitting onto Holland in any way shape or form, as good as it is. And I don't think it's a better song than The Trader, Sail On Sailor, Big Sur, Mount Vernon and Fairway or just about anthing else on the lp. I think Holland is perfect as it stands, if anything I would rather have seen We Got Love kept on the album.

I think there's a lot of shelved tracks that could have made their albums better - not just Dennis'.

Exactly - Good Time should have found a home long before Love You, where it stuck out like a sore thumb.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:00:04 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »

I don't want to post in all the few dozen "This Dennis Song Rules!" type threads, as my comment for 4th of July actually applies to quite a bit of Dennis's work. First, though, let's be clear: I don't care whether you like Dennis. Go for it. I don't care whether you hate Dennis. Have fun with that. I don't put the character ahead of the work whenever I can help it, I'd rather try to demythologize as much as possible (even though the mythology of Smile was admittedly a big part of what piqued my interest in the band when I was young and gullible). Nobody's work is always great: not Brian, not Dylan, not Reed, not Holly, not Waits, not Lennon, not McCartney, and certainly not Dennis.

So, my lengthy prelude aside, here's the deal from my perspective: 4th of July isn't very interesting to me. Like a lot of Dennis's work, it's lacking in motion melodically and harmonically. It drags for me, without a lot of rhythmic propulsion, melodic propulsion, just ... meh. Not for me. I'd put Be Still in a similar category, even though it's affecting to some extent. Never Learn Not To Love is actually more interesting to me, with the harmonies moving under the melody and the percussion keeping things going.

Certainly, Dennis has other music that more suits my taste. He also has more music that seems a bit stagnant and maudlin. (He's like Bruce in the latter respect, but way cooler. Way, way cooler. Hell, I'd f*** him.)

I would love to see if people could find a way to talk about the music without questioning one another's intentions or motivations, as if any of our intentions or motivations were remotely important whatsoever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »

I don't want to post in all the few dozen "This Dennis Song Rules!" type threads, as my comment for 4th of July actually applies to quite a bit of Dennis's work. First, though, let's be clear: I don't care whether you like Dennis. Go for it. I don't care whether you hate Dennis. Have fun with that. I don't put the character ahead of the work whenever I can help it, I'd rather try to demythologize as much as possible (even though the mythology of Smile was admittedly a big part of what piqued my interest in the band when I was young and gullible). Nobody's work is always great: not Brian, not Dylan, not Reed, not Holly, not Waits, not Lennon, not McCartney, and certainly not Dennis.

So, my lengthy prelude aside, here's the deal from my perspective: 4th of July isn't very interesting to me. Like a lot of Dennis's work, it's lacking in motion melodically and harmonically. It drags for me, without a lot of rhythmic propulsion, melodic propulsion, just ... meh. Not for me. I'd put Be Still in a similar category, even though it's affecting to some extent. Never Learn Not To Love is actually more interesting to me, with the harmonies moving under the melody and the percussion keeping things going.

Certainly, Dennis has other music that more suits my taste. He also has more music that seems a bit stagnant and maudlin. (He's like Bruce in the latter respect, but way cooler. Way, way cooler. Hell, I'd f*** him.)

I would love to see if people could find a way to talk about the music without questioning one another's intentions or motivations, as if any of our intentions or motivations were remotely important whatsoever.

Great post.

Don't agree entirely, but I see where you're coming from. Pretty much every Dennis song speaks to me, but I always want MORE from 4th of July, and some others. Like Brian, he sometimes walked away a *tad* early (boy, do I understand that tendency).

This song needs harmonies badly, like some other Dennis songs. I sing my own. Does anyone else?

In many ways, Dennis was (please don't kill me) out of step with the rest of the band. More than Bruce? I dunno. But POB sounded more like the Boys than a lot of his BB album material does. It's almost like many of Dennis's post-Sunflower material-- as little of it as there was-- ended up being a "solo" spot anyways.

Except for Carl. Dennis loved him some Carl, as do we all.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx