-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:55:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Cats
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cats  (Read 198135 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 09, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »

Oh, no, Jay. How terrible. It is one thing to lose a sick cat, but the shock of suddenly finding her bloody and gone must be even worse. 
There is really nothing I know to say that will help, but know that you are not alone in your mourning.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 09, 2018, 04:32:32 PM »

Any cat death is devastating. Didn't know Jay had cat. Sympathies go to survivors of that cat.

2Buckethead: you replied to NBBF by agreeing that cats wouldn't be described as nurturing types. To rephrase what you said, isn't it sweet that cats differ than dogs? Isn't cats' aloofness adorable? :D Don't tell no. police Cats don't nurture as dogs. So what? Why should they, ha?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 09, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »

RRA1 - I do appreciate the differences between cats and dogs. Yes, Kittie aloofness is adorable.  i have had a couple, however, who were quite like dogs in this regard, probably because they were raised my family from a few days old. I also like when cats are aloof but they cannot stand
it when they think a person (or dog) is the same.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2018, 12:43:21 AM »

Face it, Buckethead, cats better than dogs. 3D

Which music do your cats like to listen?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »

I really love cats and dogs equally. My kitties seem to enjoy my kids' Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Cannibal Corpse songs. This is probably because it is played at a decibel level that is physically stimulating and they start scratching furniture. Or, maybe it makes them nervous and that is why they scratch? Hard to tell. They don't react one way or another to Beach Boys music. Do your cats have favorite musc? How in the world do you tell what they like/don't like?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 10, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »

When people say they like this & this equally, it doesn't make sense. Ditto when people say they love their whole fam. I don't, frankly, get it. By my logic, it's impossible. There must be favorite fam members & everybody else you don't much care about. Now, treating everybody equally, this IS possible & should be.

Cat's favorite music is classical music, esp. piano. & he likes symphonies, esp. mellow. To tell if cat likes/ dislikes music is very easy - likes, starts blinking eyes in relaxed way; dislikes, cat starts being anxious. Just look at cat's face, I'd say.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 11, 2018, 01:51:36 PM »

To Jay - I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat. :-(

Cats are fascinating - they can be so sweet, then suddenly turn "wild", showing that they are not nearly as domesticated as dogs. A dog will obey me if I tell him to do something. A cat will ignore me unless there's something in it for her.
My cats haven't seemed to react to music, other than not liking anything with flutes.
My dog doesn't like The Piper at the Gates of Dawn album.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 14, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »

Question answered.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:08:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 14, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »

I make sure to have flower arrangements in the house, particularly when my Mother is here. We also bring in flowers from outside when in bloom - we have gingers blooming now that have  a wonderful fragrance. Also tea roses,  and gardenias and amaryllis in the Spring. I however have zero luck with flowering plants in the house. African violets stop blooming after a while, and bringing orchids into the house is a death sentence for them. I don't water them correctly, I guess.
Green plants are great for indoors and can last many years. They help clean out the bad stuff from the air.
As for our cats, we don't have problems with them eating the fresh flowers. However we had a cat that would chew on dried flower arrangements then get sick.
When I buy flowers I have to take out any grasses that are included. I don't know how safe they are for cats, as they probably sprayed chemicals in them. I sometimes keep a long strand of grass so that the cat can bat at it.
I do let the cats out for a while in case they want to chew on some of our grass - we don't spray any chemicals on our lawn.
Cats are carnivores. They will eat some grass - maybe the grass has some nutrients the cat needs, or perhaps the cat wants to get rid of a hairball.
I have to go out for the day. Will look at the videos later on.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 15, 2018, 05:47:08 AM »

Yes. Cats carnivorous AND they eat greens. Any green save bucks, to be accurate.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:05:33 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 15, 2018, 11:01:34 PM »

Cats appreaciate this thread's viewed by inferior, human, race. 3D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:59:48 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 16, 2018, 03:13:19 AM »

I only just thought of posting this. It's a lucky picture I took of my daughter's cat Kookie a few years ago:

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 16, 2018, 04:53:39 AM »

Cool girly with cool shiny eye! 3D Btw, didn't you say you've son, actually? Maybe you mistakenly'd written daughter in place of son here? Brow
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:56:46 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 12, 2018, 06:40:48 AM »

This news is via mail.ru newsfeed. Check the link - 12 cat portraits painted in various styles by Bulgarian artist Veselka Velinova who's been in the painting business 10+ yrs. She decided to combine 2 passions - painting & cats./short Russian text translation.

https://www.ridus.ru/news/285208
1. Van Gogh (super-recognizable)
2. Joan Miro
3. Gustav Klimt
4. Wassily Kandinsky
5. Egyptian art (splendid, makes much sense)
6. Pablo Picasso
7. Impressionism
8. Marc Chagall (dislike this cat depiction but generally it would be my choice as favorite)
9. Pop-art (cool)
10. Japanese art
11. Naturalism
12. Futurism

Below the pics is short bit with underlined words, click to see "5 painters who skillfully paint cats", in "absolutely different styles".
Enjoy! :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:42:49 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 12, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »

This news is via mail.ru newsfeed. Check the link - 12 cat portraits painted in various styles by Bulgarian artist Veselka Velinova who's been in the painting business 10+ yrs. She decided to combine 2 passions - painting & cats./short Russian text translation.

https://www.ridus.ru/news/285208
1. Van Gogh (super-recognizable)
2. Joan Miro
3. Gustav Klimt
4. Wassily Kandinsky
5. Egyptian art (splendid, makes much sense)
6. Pablo Picasso
7. Impressionism
8. Marc Chagall (dislike this cat depiction but generally it would be my choice as favorite)
9. Pop-art (cool)
10. Japanese art
11. Naturalism
12. Futurism

Below the pics is short bit with underlined words, click to see "5 painters who skillfully paint cats", in "absolutely different styles".
Enjoy! :D
That was pretty interesting to look through. I really liked #3, and the Egyptian one. I'm surprised Louis Wain wasn't on the list. He's probably my favorite artist.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:29 AM »

I especially like 7 and 9 (cat having sweet dreams)

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 12, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »

I only just thought of posting this. It's a lucky picture I took of my daughter's cat Kookie a few years ago:

That is an awesome picture.  Grin She(he?) looks just like and old cat of mine, blackie. She passed away in 2014(in my arms) after 13 years of being with me.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 13, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »

Tanner the cat was chewing on some houseplants and got a little sick today. She threw up in her basket (the one in my avatar). When I came home I found out that my sister threw it away.
Kitty really loved that basket . She wants to be with us but my Mother understandably doesn't want her lying down on the dining room table. So I put that small basket on the table and Tanner made it her own, stretching it to fit her.
So I'll have to find her another basket. I had spent a grand total of one dollar on that basket at the dollar store. Hopefully they will have more available . Meanwhile I have a shoebox that she can use.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 14, 2018, 04:12:14 AM »

I usually buy the cat wicker basket, he's got 2 - walking basket with handle to mere walk or when it's bike walk, to adjust the basket to bike. In house - sleeping/ relaxing basket with little pillows & blanket. Handle-free.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2018, 12:54:14 AM »

My last cat's favorite spot to sit was literally on my shoulder.  Grin Whenever I was at the computer in the kitchen, she would climb up my chair until she was on an arm rest, then she would jump up in my shoulder, and just sit there. I used to play cat videos on youtube to see how she'd react.  LOL

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »

Read this today:

What is the difference between a cat and a comma?
One has claws at the end of its paws, and one is a pause at the end of a clause.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 29, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »

RRA1 thought of you.
Facebook had post about a "Cat Chief" in Russia (didn't say what town). She is paid to take care of the strays there. She has an official uniform and a bike - she sometimes takes cats on rides in the bike's basket.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 13, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2018, 01:49:21 AM »

Cats by window images, think it's nice Thanksgiving gift to Smiley Smilers celebrating it. Enjoy! (Edit: should be 7 images. If you can't see the few, refresh the page)

Pic description: "French postcard, a black and white photo of a cat watching birds from an apartment railing."

& beautiful cutely sitting cat pics to check here: https://www.boredpanda.com/cat-waiting-window/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:58:21 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 23, 2018, 04:23:46 AM »

"Cats & sailing" images dating 1890s-1950s; some of the cats specially trained & the others being good luck bringers to sailing travels; here's 1st batch (tbc in the next page):

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:48:06 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: