-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Cats
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cats  (Read 198131 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2017, 04:03:34 AM »

Fameows (& not too fameows) pawple ameowt cats: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/cats

Favorites:

“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.”
― Albert Schweitzer

“I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.”
― Winston S. Churchill

“A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.”
― Ernest Hemingway

“The smallest feline is a masterpiece.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

“Meow” means “woof” in cat.”
― George Carlin

“I love them, they are so nice and selfish. Dogs are TOO good and unselfish. They make me feel uncomfortable. But cats are gloriously human.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of the Island

“when I am feeling
low
all i have to do is
watch my cats
and my
courage
returns”
― Charles Bukowski

“Indeed, organizing atheists has been compared to herding cats, because they tend to think independently and will not conform to authority.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

“A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats.”
― Mason Cooley

“If you make a fool of yourself in front of a cat, he will sneer at you, if you are sober; he will leave the room if you are drunk. If you make a fool of yourself in front a dog, he will make a fool of himself, too.”
― Chuck Jones

“Opinions are like kittens," he commented. "People are always giving them away.”
― Elizabeth Bear, Ad Eternum

“Cats will be cats.”
― Morrissey, Autobiography

“The cat is such a perfect symbol of beauty and superiority that it seems scarcely possible for any true aesthete and civilised cynic to do other than worship it.”
― H.P. Lovecraft, Cats and Dogs

“Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow.”
― Jeff Valdez

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2017, 03:11:51 AM »

Disregard dumb "look like humans" lists, this is THE human, looks familiar, don't you think? It could be your buddy, neighbor, local youth, ancestor, grandpa, grandpa's brother, your brother, even father. He's many people to everybody. To me, he bears resemblance to Anton Chekhov & Frank Zappa:

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:15 AM »

Disregard dumb "look like humans" lists, this is THE human, looks familiar, don't you think? It could be your buddy, neighbor, local youth, ancestor, grandpa, grandpa's brother, your brother, even father. He's many people to everybody. To me, he bears resemblance to Anton Chekhov & Frank Zappa:

That's not a photoshopped image? Wow. Yes, FZ----the beard, lol. What a curious looking cat!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 27, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »

RR, what your cat really reminded me of was this, posted long ago on the now-defunct Capitol BB MB. Regrettably it's the spitting image of a colleague's then boyfriend, whom I'd met at a work get-together at the time:

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Scaroline No
« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »

Salvador Dali.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 27, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »

Salvador Dali.

Yes!----and there's a cat connection:

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2017, 02:25:33 AM »

Regrettably in this case means it's rather unfortunate
Ha! What's the difference? Idk, it doesn't seem big deal that some random guy - colleague's boyfriend! - looks like ugly dogman. Why care?

That's not a photoshopped image?
No - it's cat breed that's mixture of 2 pure breeds, hence the weirdness. The dog is clearly photoshopped. & why regret? It's not your boyfriend.

Salvador Dali.
3D Btw, to mention my favorite show again, both Dali & Zappa guested in "What's My Line?". Type "what's my line [name]".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:37:39 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2017, 03:38:21 AM »

No - it's cat breed that's mixture of 2 pure breeds, hence the weirdness. The dog is clearly photoshopped. & why regret? It's not your boyfriend.

Regrettably in this case means it's rather unfortunate----that's all. No, it's not my boyfriend----it's not even my dog. Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2017, 04:53:45 AM »

This will cheer up everybody Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGb84-nd4fw

I found what songs these people sing (google help)...BUT, the guy at 1:11, what's the problem with the way he says words? Is it even English? I could not decipher what the hell he sings. Can kind creature identify it? Right after that "mushmouth" chap, the lady at 1:45 plays piano & sings really nice tune. I'd like to know, it seems like piano standard. At 2:48, if the bed-ridden girl didn't laugh, I could hear words & find what she sings. Maybe smb. with super-sharp ears can get thru noisy laughter & hear them?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2017, 05:38:13 AM »

This will cheer up everybody Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGb84-nd4fw

I found what songs these people sing (google help)...BUT, the guy at 1:11, what's the problem with the way he says words? Is it even English? I could not decipher what the hell he sings. Can kind creature identify it? Right after that "mushmouth" chap, the lady at 1:45 plays piano & sings really nice tune. I'd like to know, it seems like piano standard. At 2:48, if the bed-ridden girl didn't laugh, I could hear words & find what she sings. Maybe smb. with super-sharp ears can get thru noisy laughter & hear them?

The bloke at 1:11 is trying, deperately, to sing "The Story of the Impossible". I can recognize bits and pieces but it's an unholy muddle. Here are the complete lyrics:

"Whatever happened to the great escape
The finest enemy.
Crafted with pride by monsters on the train.
The world is great to suckers

"We have the story of the impossible
A tale passed on so frail
One of make-belief
Maybe impossible to achieve
And really close

"Who sew the lion's hungry in the cage
With the confidance of a clown
The little man who rises on the stage
As he falls without a safety net

A tale passed on so frail.
One of make-belief
And really close

"Whatever happened to the great escape
And all the plans we make
Crafted with pride by Monsters on the train.
The world is great to suckers.

A tale passed on so frail.
One of make-belief
But oh so close"

This is the original by Peter Von Poehl:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdtVNxSPyws

The tune at 1:45 is "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bL2BCiFkTk

And for piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUzX4tTy7FM

I can't make head or tail of what Laughing Girl is singing----maybe it'll come to me... 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »

Hey thanks to quick reply! Well done. Thumbs Up I'm glad to find that my ears hear well: you too say it's "unholy muddle". There's many synonyms to "young boy", thanks to mention "bloke".

Did any cat fans, this thread attendees see "Street Cat Named Bob"? It's about real people - busker James Bowen & cat. I managed to download it recently, after many tries - liked it! Stars Luke Treadaway as Bowen. Cat Bob as Bob the Cat. What to expect? Cat close-ups from every angle Smiley (you'll be sitting with big smile looking at Bob's cute face), "people thru cat's eyes" camera work, cameo by real Bowen at the book signing at the end, rolling titles with picture slideshow with Bob & him, sweet elderly lady knitting tiny cat scarf (2 patterns). Bottom line: the must-see.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3hleBXRpo
Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lUKCgRb9yk

Last night, with the dog at my feet and Mr Fuzzy purring on my lap, I watched Carole King perform Tapestry at Hyde Park. At one point she stood up and said "This is what 74 looks like." She looked good and sounded great.
 following this was the Moody Blues performing some hits, then the whole of Days of Future Passed. I was trying to harmonize but sounded awful; thankfully kitty didn't attack me!
Maybe he fell asleep. :D Thanks to posting here, Liz. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:49:56 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »

I'd like to thank here NOLA BB Fan. She passed by the info about documentary "Kedi". I thanked her 1st in Movies thread but she didn't see it. She must see it now. I said there & I'll say here again that since she mentioned it, I found & downloaded it! It's mine now. police I'm glad she told me about it - it's beautiful; great tales by Turkey people.

Now, here's single hour film,  subject "crazy cat lady". 4 ladies with different background & number of cats tell what they live like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMIUYqochI

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »

I'm glad you have been able to see "Kedi." It's a sweet film.

I'll set aside some time tomorrow to see the crazy cat lady video. I and two of my sisters are crazy cat ladies - I have 5 cats and each sister has even more. People look at me and laugh when every now and then, out of the blue, I blurt out Mee-ow  or make a purring sound.  Grin

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »

Where is Swedish Frog's cat....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

Just passing on a tip to check out a fantastic film I just saw on Netflix to all the cat lovers out there. I may be the last person to know about this story, and it may have been discussed here too in the past, but...

It's called "A Streetcat Named Bob". Based on a true story, which I didn't know until after deciding to click on it and watch it because it had a cat in the film, the movie actually made my cry.

Anyone who likes a story about someone getting their ass kicked by life in general yet continues on with unexpected help from a loyal friend in the form of a stray cat that happened to wander into his life randomly one day...it's a great story and film. And it's about a musician too, extra points for that. Then I find out it was true, and there are books about it too which helped the real main character get out of the messes he was in...now i have to seek out the books.

Anyway, check out the film, especially if you like cats. It really made an impact on me.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2018, 02:44:36 PM »

I'm glad you have been able to see "Kedi." It's a sweet film.
Yep. I can see it anytime I like to as I said I d/l it. police

I'll set aside some time tomorrow to see the crazy cat lady video.
Review?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:58:05 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »

Just passing on a tip to check out a fantastic film I just saw on Netflix to all the cat lovers out there. I may be the last person to know about this story, and it may have been discussed here too in the past, but...
It's good film, isn't it? 3D But yep, I did mention this film 1st police which amazingly nobody paid attention:

Did any cat fans, this thread attendees see "Street Cat Named Bob"? It's about real people - busker James Bowen & cat. I managed to download it recently, after many tries - liked it! Stars Luke Treadaway as Bowen. Cat Bob as Bob the Cat. What to expect? Cat close-ups from every angle Smiley (you'll be sitting with big smile looking at Bob's cute face), "people thru cat's eyes" camera work, cameo by real Bowen at the book signing at the end, rolling titles with picture slideshow with Bob & him, sweet elderly lady knitting tiny cat scarf (2 patterns). Bottom line: the must-see.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:54:03 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »

It's good film, isn't it? 3D But yep, I did mention this film 1st police which amazingly nobody paid attention:

Yes! I had a feeling this film had been discussed here, but missed it the first time. It's well worth watching. Great story and an amazing cat too!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »

Yes! I had a feeling this film had been discussed here, but missed it the first time. It's well worth watching. Great story and an amazing cat too!
Bob is adorable & he's got great friendship with James Smiley:

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »

Bob is adorable & he's got great friendship with James Smiley:

Yes! There he is! I went into the film on a whim, like I said deciding to watch it because it had a cat. After the credits were about to roll, I came away amazed that it was a true story...and just as amazed that this was the actual cat Bob from the true, real-life story, "acting" in the movie! Cats are notoriously difficult to work with in film or TV projects...and here was a stray cat playing himself in this film! Amazing.

Again, highly recommended. Great film, a simply amazing story. 5 paws out of 5.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »

Tell me about it - cat isn't dog who obeys every command, it's very tough to make cat do anything. But Bob is very natural, it's really spectacular! Check the interviews of making this film, what the leading actors say about working with Bob:

Luke Treadaway/ "James Bowen" & Ruta Gedmintas/ Betty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdibxGqZVAY
Real James Bowen about being amidst the making process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CM6c_Nhr0s

Besides, check the link I posted in the previous shout-out to the movie. Fun interviews.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »

Review of Cat Lady video 🐱

I thought it was bittersweet. There is no way I could have that many cats (in some cases, over 100). I would say that one of my sisters could qualify as a Cat Lady, as her life seems to largely revolve around them.
I do love my kitties, particularly Mr Fuzzy who is always by my side.

In lieu of getting more cats I contribute monthly to a Cat sanctuary and have food and other items shipped to them frequently.
And to show that I'm not quite a Cat lady, I also regularly contribute food, money, and blankets to our local Villalobos center - they specialize in rescuing pit bull dogs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:34:09 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »

I like detailed reviews. But thanks.

Smb. in comments said the lady with glasses & 100 cats is cat "hoarder". It brings to zero her label "crazy cat lady". To me, the fave is the youngest lady with 16 cats. She sticks to them till the film's ending. The other lady with glasses & with accent, she suddenly changed the tune & said by the end that she actually doesn't like the way she lives  Roll Eyes & would like to get back to fam. In the beginning she said she left the business career to deal with cats. Nobody demanded "Do it!" - she chose it. Then to tell she doesn't like it is dumb. Sure, she's got pretty face, cute thin lips when she speaks, stylish glasses - but, since she's gotten suddenly sad, she isn't sincerely joyful at the start when she praises the cats.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 09, 2018, 05:42:39 PM »

Looking thru the Internet, found these beautiful exquisite drawings which say "Little does anybody know but many things in this world consist of little cats" (literal Russian-to-English transl.):

Hm, nobody likes these? Just single drawing?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:30:08 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2018, 06:49:43 AM »

Those are so sweet. Thanks for posting these!  Smiley

🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: