gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:42:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Dressed Up For School  (Read 9819 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 05:46:05 PM »

I wouldn't miss the interview track 12.

Me neither, but All Dressed would not have fit on Side 2. Would have destroyed the rock side/mature side concept. Better, perhaps, to have a piece of totally unrelated filler at the end.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Brian wanted to make the 20 minute version of Bull Session, Side 2, but Capitol nixed the idea, thus forcing him to record all that other crap.

I'm not  sure "All Dressed Up" was more immature than "Bull Session With Big Daddy".  Of course, a rematch between Sonny Wilson and Cassius Love would have been really immature.

Here's my lineup for a themed "immature" side: "All Dressed Up", "Chug-A-Lug", "I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man", "I'd Love Just Once To See You", Honeys "Hemorrhoids" joke/"George Fell Into His French Horn", "Amusement Parks, USA", " 'Cassius' Love Vs. 'Sonny' Wilson", "Swedish Frog", "Chipmunk Song".  That'd be an ugly listening experience  for anyone older than ten.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 07:49:01 AM »

After all this time, I finally made the connection that this song was not the first BB song with "turn-on" lyrics... "The Shift" with it's repeating part "turns me on now" has ADUFS beat by two years.  And both songs are about women's clothes that turn the guy on. Makes even less sense now that this would have been considered too "risqué" for release, seeing as they'd already released similar lyrics on a previous album.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »

After all this time, I finally made the connection that this song was not the first BB song with "turn-on" lyrics... "The Shift" with it's repeating part "turns me on now" has ADUFS beat by two years.  And both songs are about women's clothes that turn the guy on. Makes even less sense now that this would have been considered too "risqué" for release, seeing as they'd already released similar lyrics on a previous album.

Similar lyrics, different situation. "ADUFS" was about a girl of school age on her way to school. "The Shift" was about a young woman on a date----no problem there. My two eurocents...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 08:27:54 AM »

a few posts ago mention was made of a mono mixed version of ADUFS with added hand-claps that aren't present on the stereo mix made by Mark Linnett for the two-fer bonus track, where the song debuted

yes that mono mix can be considered the original 'finished' version, but everyone here's forgetting the obvious - the mono ADUFS mix (w/ handclaps) WAS released (officially) about 8 years ago as a track in the Beach Boys Singles Collection set of 16 CD's

I like that set because it also contains a terrific stereo mix of DO YOU WANNA DANCE also not present elsewhere.  It's (mostly) the instrumental backing track and comes across with terrific power--far and away the best demonstration of Brian Wilson's Wall Of Sound.  The vocals are turned up and in for the songs ending

ADUFS contains the 1st appearance of what I term the 'Brian Wilson (sung) Scale' - 9 notes:  D, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C#, D.  Which he also put into the Heroes & Villains sessions and later GOIN' ON
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:51:22 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »

ADUFS contains the 1st appearance of what I term the 'Brian Wilson (sung) Scale' - 9 notes:  D, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C#, D.  Which he also put into the Heroes & Villains sessions and later GOIN' ON

Yes indeed, with its descending counterpart in the bass: D, C, B, A#, A, G#, G, E, D. I love that drop of a minor 3rd from G to E----pure magic!     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »

a few posts ago mention was made of a mono mixed version of ADUFS with added hand-claps that aren't present on the stereo mix made by Mark Linnett for the two-fer bonus track, where the song debuted

yes that mono mix can be considered the original 'finished' version, but everyone here's forgetting the obvious - the mono ADUFS mix (w/ handclaps) WAS released (officially) about 8 years ago as a track in the Beach Boys Singles Collection set of 16 CD's

I assume this is the same mono mix as on Made in California.  But maybe Alan Boyd is referring to a different mono mix that is still unreleased.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »

All Dressed Up is right up there in lyrical creepiness with Hey Little Tomboy....quite understandable why it was not released in its day....
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 05:26:16 PM »

All Dressed Up is right up there in lyrical creepiness with Hey Little Tomboy....quite understandable why it was not released in its day....

Not really... considering that All Dressed Up was sung by a teenager who was still 17 at the time, still high school age. It can't be *that* creepy hearing a high school guy checking out a high school gal. Granted, guys in their 20s are singing backing vocals on the song, especially on the "turn on" part  LOL

Come to think of it, maybe Carl's youth was the main reason why he was picked to be the singer of that tune (to sound less creepy).

Hey Little Tomboy is much worse considering it's sung by guys in their mid-thirties, and it's very specifically about deliberately having/encouraging a girl go from being a non-sexual object to being a sexual object.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:32:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 01:25:37 AM »

A "few posts" ago, but nonetheless ten years ago, before either the singles collection or Made in California.

Please delete my account
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:00 AM »

Not really... considering that All Dressed Up was sung by a teenager who was still 17 at the time, still high school age. It can't be *that* creepy hearing a high school guy checking out a high school gal. Granted, guys in their 20s are singing backing vocals on the song, especially on the "turn on" part  LOL

Come to think of it, maybe Carl's youth was the main reason why he was picked to be the singer of that tune (to sound less creepy).

Hey Little Tomboy is much worse considering it's sung by guys in their mid-thirties, and it's very specifically about deliberately having/encouraging a girl go from being a non-sexual object to being a sexual object.

Right on, Brown!

Edit: Sorry for the dated Cheech and Chong reference above. What I meat to convey, with "Right on, Brown!" is that I completely agree with Century Deprived's analysis.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:43:21 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 02:45:49 AM »

Granted, guys in their 20s are singing backing vocals on the song, especially on the "turn on" part

LOL LOL LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx