gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:21:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 567364 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: January 29, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »

Yes. I was hoping we would get Brian's vocals on Last Song. No matter how good (or bad) LDR's version was, I would have felt cheated not getting Brian's vocals.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: January 29, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »

"Wilson initially envisioned the sessions for his new album with The Beach Boys in mind, but that was not to be."

Sigh........

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: January 29, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »

Thank God for Brian Wilson...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: January 29, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »

cheese pizza, the professor feels the same way.I am sure that I will enjoy most of this album, but I am sure I will be very sad whenever I hear a moment that could have been a glorious manifestation of endless harmony itself

quote author=Cheese Pizza link=topic=17691.msg497116#msg497116 date=1422569457]

"Wilson initially envisioned the sessions for his new album with The Beach Boys in mind, but that was not to be."

Sigh........

[/quote]
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: January 29, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »

cheese pizza, the professor feels the same way.I am sure that I will enjoy most of this album, but I am sure I will be very sad whenever I hear a moment that could have been a glorious manifestation of endless harmony itself

Beach Boys on this record:
Brian Wilson
Alan Jardine
David Marks
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar (possibly?)

That is 4-5 Beach Boys.

All that's 'missing' is M&B. Bruce had a few audible seconds on TWGMTR and Mike had a few leads, but was only featured in the suite singing a some harmonies and the "bababa" part in FTTBA. I reeeaaally doubt we're going to miss them much.

Would having Mike and Bruce singing in the harmony stack of "Our Special Love" changed it from whatever you think it is into "a glorious manifestation of endless harmony itself"??

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: January 29, 2015, 11:08:06 PM »

quote author=Cheese Pizza link=topic=17691.msg497116#msg497116 date=1422569457]

Sigh........

[/quote]
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:37 PM »

Yes. Good question.

uote author=Woodstock link=topic=17691.msg497184#msg497184 date=1422596621]

Brian Wilson
Alan Jardine
David Marks
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar (possibly?)

That is 4-5 Beach Boys.

All that's 'missing' is M&B. Bruce had a few audible seconds on TWGMTR and Mike had a few leads, but was only featured in the suite singing a some harmonies and the "bababa" part in FTTBA. I reeeaaally doubt we're going to miss them much.

Would having Mike and Bruce singing in the harmony stack of "Our Special Love" changed it from whatever you think it is into "a glorious manifestation of endless harmony itself"??
[/quote]
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: January 29, 2015, 11:13:48 PM »

I do have to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the tracklisting(s). Great to see so much Al. Even though it's a bummer that Mike and Bruce aren't included, I feel like if this were a Beach Boys album we wouldn't see four (?) Al leads. And who woulda thought even a few years ago that Blondie Chaplin was gonna be on a new Brian Wilson album? Not to mention the fact that the song he's featured on, "Sail Away" has already been spoken highly of, and will hopefully be a standout.

Plus, I just listened to "Our Special Love" for the first time in a while and I gotta say Brian sounds amazing on it. Like for all the people talking about how much his voice has changed, I think his vocal on this and "Summer's Gone" amongst a few others shows that when Brian is on his game he puts up some great vocal performances, for ANYBODY.

Now I gotta admit the guest appearances seem a bit iffy, but I think mostly the fate of this album rests on whether the songs hold up or not. There is nobody featured who seems to clash much with Brian's style and therefore if he brings the goods song-wise I think we'll be okay. And judging by his latest original works (TLOS and TWGMTR) I think it's fair to expect more quality material. I truly am excited for this album. Last time I was this excited for a Brian Wilson solo album was BWPS.

Anyways, I really do think this could end up being Brian's best solo album. I'm really hopeful.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2583 on: January 29, 2015, 11:19:34 PM »

Brian Wilson
Alan Jardine
David Marks
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar (possibly?)

That is 4-5 Beach Boys.

If Mike and Bruce also just guested on this BW album it still wouldn't be a BB album. Admittedly, even TWGMTR could have been better in being a real BB record - why does Brian do lead and bg vox on the verses to strange world? Aurally, the difference would not be that big if NPP was an actual BB album. But it would feel a lot better.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: January 29, 2015, 11:38:49 PM »

This is a very wise and thoughtful post by the dude and I agree.in many of the recent comments here, we struggle to express what we think would be best.for me the radio album is still hidden in mystery as to how it was actually produced. I fear that never at anytime did all the beach boys hand around a microphone and record together. When I imagine any new beach boys album, I imagine 1 composed, performed and produced in mutual love and creative synergy. If brian has found that longing fulfilled elsewhere and in collaboration with some number of the beloved beach boys but not all of them, I will lament their absence and try to enjoy the art as it has been meaningfully created.
ote author=sweetdudejim link=topic=17691.msg497196#msg497196 date=1422602028]
I do have to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the tracklisting(s). Great to see so much Al. Even though it's a bummer that Mike and Bruce aren't included, I feel like if this were a Beach Boys album we wouldn't see four (?) Al leads. And who woulda thought even a few years ago that Blondie Chaplin was gonna be on a new Brian Wilson album? Not to mention the fact that the song he's featured on, "Sail Away" has already been spoken highly of, and will hopefully be a standout.

Plus, I just listened to "Our Special Love" for the first time in a while and I gotta say Brian sounds amazing on it. Like for all the people talking about how much his voice has changed, I think his vocal on this and "Summer's Gone" amongst a few others shows that when Brian is on his game he puts up some great vocal performances, for ANYBODY.

Now I gotta admit the guest appearances seem a bit iffy, but I think mostly the fate of this album rests on whether the songs hold up or not. There is nobody featured who seems to clash much with Brian's style and therefore if he brings the goods song-wise I think we'll be okay. And judging by his latest original works (TLOS and TWGMTR) I think it's fair to expect more quality material. I truly am excited for this album. Last time I was this excited for a Brian Wilson solo album was BWPS.

Anyways, I really do think this could end up being Brian's best solo album. I'm really hopeful.
[/quote]
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: January 30, 2015, 12:25:59 AM »

Summer means new ....?
Run James Run ?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:12 AM »

I think selling us the songs, preferably several times...  is kind of the point.

Sooo... I wonder how many outtakes this generated?

What would be the point of buying the regular CD as well as the deluxe edition?  And who would do that?

A collector.  You are surrounded by them right now in fact.

There aren't as many as you think.

I remember when I was 19 years old and thought I knew everything.

These internet generation kids got no respect....

No mas, por favor.
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: January 30, 2015, 06:05:24 AM »

Anyone know if there is going to be a vinyl release, and if there is, when?

RZA
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2588 on: January 30, 2015, 06:28:44 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19825.0.html

First post.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: January 30, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »

Who else has seen on Youtube that the album has supposedly leaked? I don't trust what I'm seeing, and think it's probably just a scam download. Certainly, I'm not going to do it myself. It asks that you sign up to something before letting you download, so it's almost certainly a hoax prompted by the release of the tracklist yesterday (if they put up a page saying 'download Brian's new album here' with cover art and full tracklist, I guess they think more people will fall for the link...)

Funnlily enough, to be absolutely honest, No Pier Pressure is one of the few albums I would have absolutely no scruples about illegally downloading (I hate digital-only albums and prefer to have everything on CD). Why? Because, short of a piano falling on my head between now and April, my purchase of the album is in absolutely no doubt at all. Brian can have the money from my hot little hand in person if he likes. Even if I downloaded now, I would throw away the files in April, pay for a nice shiny silver disc and then make my own MP3s...

But I'm not following that link. It reeks of fake...!!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: January 30, 2015, 07:52:58 AM »

http://hasitleaked.com/2014/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure/
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: January 30, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19825.0.html

First post.

Thanks amigo.

RZA
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: January 30, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »

"Last Song" isn't the last song.  Smiley

I think this is going to be really good.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: January 30, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »

I think selling us the songs, preferably several times...  is kind of the point.

Sooo... I wonder how many outtakes this generated?

What would be the point of buying the regular CD as well as the deluxe edition?  And who would do that?

A collector.  You are surrounded by them right now in fact.

There aren't as many as you think.

I remember when I was 19 years old and thought I knew everything.

These internet generation kids got no respect....

So because I think very few people will buy the regular plus deluxe version I'm a 19 year old know it all with no respect?  Ok  Roll Eyes  LOL
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: January 30, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »

I wonder if....
8. Don’t Worry
9. Somewhere Quiet
10. I’m Feeling Sad
...is the rest of the suite from TWGMTR...
Well spotted.  And I'd sure love to think so!  I'm dying to hear the rest of that suite.

Boy, I'll tell you, guys and gals: As cool as Lana's contribution may have been, I'm very much on favor of getting to hear Brian sing the lead on "Last Song."

From the moment we first learned that two versions had been put to tape, I've been hoping that we'd maybe get to hear Brian's take on a single, bonus track, or what have you.  I can't believe that's the version which will be featured on the LP.  Awesome. Smiley

Oh, and "Sail Away"?  I've always loved Brian working with the nautical theme in his songs.  And given the inclusion of Blondie and Al?  For these reasons, alone, I'm hopeful it will be a winner.

Just so much of this has me excited.  Those ten seconds of "On the Island" we heard have me anxious for more.  Getting Al and David Marks on the album?  Pure class.

I do wish that Mike and Bruce could have lent their voices to the songs, of course.  Another Beach Boys record would have been wonderful.

But today, I'll forget all about the 'what-if's' and just be glad for what will be, come April 7.  I cannot wait.   Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:09:56 PM by R. Smith » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »

yes, the professor agrees; he is still saying "what if" every moment of the day, but he also longs for music of transcendental beauty and that showcases Brian with DM and AJ. Perhaps those 3 will have put more emotion and craft into those 2 songs than they could have in a BB album; who knows?

I remain sad that Mike did not find a way to sustain the mo of 50. He easily could have labored to have things both ways--touring at will and working on an album as needed. The degree of collaboration he did achieve with Brian in Radio created SV, which is greater all the time, IIT, which, in the single version is still irresistible, and BIM, which could have been a total gem if properly produced.  The "alone in a room" thing is real to me, but Mike's solution, to turn his back on his mates so unceremoniously and publicly, hurting them, was not the best way.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »

Promo for the new album:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TE8MURK/ref=sr_acs_va_item_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1424157190&sr=8-7-acs

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 17, 2015, 01:01:07 AM »

I got an 'error' message but its on Youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vj5u-CXkE

Media campaign began today it seems.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: March 23, 2015, 07:29:24 AM »

Sail Away!

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/03/23/brian-wilson-sail-away-no-pier-pressure/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: March 23, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »

That key change is bizarre...

And Blondie's voice has some unfortunate artefacts Sad

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx