gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:37:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 564782 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2325 on: November 10, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »

When you get to my advanced age, five months isn't "soon". Could be the other side of the Out Door.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: November 10, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »

Beats a 37-year wait. Five months, I mean. Not dying. Dying is substantially worse than a 37-year wait.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: November 10, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »

I just want to clarify my earlier comments.

Brian has presented his music in many different ways during promotions. For the Imagination album, if I recall correctly, he had a big concert in Illinois. While the band performed live, his studio vocal tracks were played, and he sang along with them. For the Lucky Old Sun album, it appears as though he and the band performed live at Capitol Studios, while some vocal tracks from the album were laid in later.

For BWPS, it was a far different situation, because he and the band had been performing the album live on the road. Again if I recall correctly, they did a few days of taping, and edited together the best vocal and video pieces. As far as I can remember, he has truly only mimed twice..One was in the footage from IJWMFTT. The other was the promotional appearances he did for the Christmas album.

Given that this album is going to contain a lot of new, unfamiliar material, my simple assumption was that the producers of the show would go for the simplest and easiest route  -- either miming or post-production fiddling, since they were both used before. It's definitely a positive sign that they're not doing that.

A relaxed, in-command Brian is far preferable to a hesitant-looking one, even if a few notes are missed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:30:32 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2328 on: November 10, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »

Regarding the TLOS DVD footage, I recall being told they did five complete run-throughs at Capitol, then comped the best takes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 10, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »

Since Dean Parks has recorded tracks for the album, it would not only make sense to have him make some live appearances but it would be a terrific thing too, as he is rightfully so considered one of the finest studio guitarists in the business and has been for several decades. In the business he has the nickname (as said by others) as "The Dean" of Hollywood guitarists, and has a resume of high profile film and studio credits at least a few miles long.

When I saw that Dean, Kenny Aronoff, and Jim Keltner had done tracks for the album, as a musician I was beyond excited to hear what they bring to the tracks. With Dean in particular, he does live dates but you often don't see him featured on stage especially when he's playing various awards shows and the like...millions hear him all over TV and film scores but you don't get to actually see and watch him play as often, so this is a pretty cool thing.

I saw Dean Parks play live with Crosby-Nash in 2005. It was an excellent show.

Dean Parks also played on the Joey Lawrence album from years ago, for those who remember Joey Lawrence.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2330 on: November 10, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure Joey Lawrence doesn't remember Joey Lawrence.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: November 10, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »

Whoa.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 10, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »

Beats a 37-year wait. Five months, I mean. Not dying. Dying is substantially worse than a 37-year wait.

It sounded a lot longer when I first read the "fall" comment.

5 months is not bad at all, I can wait that long.  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 10, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »

When you get to my advanced age, five months isn't "soon". Could be the other side of the Out Door.  Grin

AGD doesn't even buy green bananas...

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 10, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »

Apologies if this has been posted already. December Las Vegas date to be filmed for AXS TV special:

http://www.venetian.com/entertainment/shows/brian-wilson.html

Soundstage = Joe "MORE AUTOTUNE !!!" Thomas.

Brian's vocals are too sketchy in a live setting to realistically expect anyone to leave them alone in a live recording, so something--auto tune or rerecording or whatever--would be likely regardless.  (Not a knock on Brian, just the reality of "live" recording these past few, decades. And BW is on the shakier side of the pitch and confidence spectrum.) Hopefully the JT Delight has been retired for more tasteful treatment, though.

I usually don't comment on the Autotune thing because it doesn't bother me much and it's more annoying to me, that people make such a big deal out of it.  I'll say this though: It appears processing vocals is almost inevitable on ANTYHING anymore.  There was a huge "George Strait" concert on T.V. a few weeks ago (his last tour concert) and the entire thing was heavily, heavily processed.  He can clearly still sing very well, as good as he ever could, and his songs aren't challenging to sing... but he sounded very robotic, all the way through it.  It took all the character out of his voice, which in Country is actually part of the sound, the more curls and twang the song has in it the more 'soul' the song has. 

Nobody online is complaining about it, because it's a country show and they're there to sing along and drink beer, not to technically analyze the engineering aspects of the sound rig.  Brian has more of an 'audiophile' audience who's more apt to notice it...

My whole point is I think it's going to be hard to get anything out of any 'legend' artists that isn't heavily auto-tuned, they're even auto-tuning the twang out of country performances. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: November 10, 2014, 09:19:54 PM »

I feel like they will release at least one single for the TV special.  They wouldn't play songs from his new album and not make them available for sale, would they?  The album will still be about 4 months from being released though, so who knows.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 14, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »

From Brian's FB page:

"Brian will be performing his hits and selections from his upcoming album at the famed Venetian in Las Vegas on December 12. Guests appearing on Brian’s upcoming “No Pier Pressure” will also be performing - Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, Capitol Cities' Sebu Simian, Nate Ruess from Fun. as well as Jazz trumpeter Mark Isham. More guests to come. Tickets and special room rates available: http://www.venetian.com/entertainme…/shows/brian-wilson.html "

Wow, Blondie and Ricky!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2337 on: November 14, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »

That's cool!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 14, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »

f*** me!*

Apologies… first reactions!

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2339 on: November 14, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »

Ooo! I believe a drive is in order. I think I have to if Rutles are involved.

So who else is going?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:29:45 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: November 14, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »

Fataar? Awesome!  Grin

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: November 14, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »

Brian Wilson
Al Jardine
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar

FOUR Beach Boys! Noice.

I'm guessing we might not see the group "The Beach Boys" back together, but at the least, how awesome is it that Brian and Al are working with Blondie and Ricky? Amazing.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: November 14, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »

Can't wait to see that setlist!   Cool

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 14, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »

I might drive or fly to see this if Zooey is up there with bw.      Sounds like it is ready to land as an lp!,
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: November 14, 2014, 07:38:25 PM »

Oh boy, if we get Funky Pretty live, I will be very, very happy.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: November 14, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »

The way I'm reading the FB page message above may be wrong but to me it implies Ricky is on the album. That's not the case is it?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:03:04 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2346 on: November 14, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »

I don't think he's on the album, just a feeling and could be wrong,  but if he is, then that's pretty badass. I agree that the wording makes it sound like he is on the album, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 14, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »

The way I'm reading the FB page message above may be wrong but to me it implies Ricky is on the album. That's not the case is it?

If he is, we haven't heard about it yet.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: November 14, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »

If he is on the album... that'll mean there are as many Beach Boys on "No Pier Pressure" as on "That's Why God Made The Radio".

Maybe not all on the same tracks, but even so...!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: November 14, 2014, 08:56:14 PM »

Paging Ray Lawlor! LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx