gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:10:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 569141 times)
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: September 25, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »

Ron: There are bad examples of long past it artists tapping into a currently relevant genre in order to drum up sales. Sure. Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys have been guilty of it before. I do suggest however that this has been always terminally out of touch -- accentuating further the desperation inherent-- and that pulling a random half qualified rapper to grab those kids in the early 90s is nowhere near to hiring one of the five most important popular musicians in the world to work on a track. Is there a difference between say that Smart Girls nonsense and a sober, inspired collaboration between BW and RZA or Melle Mel at his most lyrical or Afrikaa Bambaataa during Perfect Beat or Outkast when they dropped Elevators?

I agree wholeheartedly that an old man out of touch straining for some relevance in a genre he doesn't understand or value or perform well in is an embarrassment. But it is FAR MORE embarrassing for such a timeless artist to fail to acknowledge or understand a new wave of creativity when it is happening. For Brian Wilson to not be aware of Frank Ocean as a creator worth paying attention to and collaborating with, would in my estimation be a true sign of his unsuitability to tell us anything about anything ever again. The nostalgia train is comforting; it has great seats and a familiar view, but it will not lift you or transform your experience. You want a mishmash of what the harmonies used to be, a half dead perfection bleeding through in drabs get on that phony Produced By solo arse water. Personally I'd quite like to hear a great artist willing to step outside and make a bit of a fool of himself in the ever so slight hope of doing something new and exciting again.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:43:52 PM by MugginsXO » Logged

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 26, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Pier_Pressure

A wikipedia thread is up.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Gohi
« Reply #2027 on: September 26, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »

Really odd they're waiting so long to announce this thing even exists...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 26, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »

It's ridiculous and disappointing but not that surprising.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: September 26, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »

I would suspect that Capitol has all of this covered. The recording has gone on for more than a year. The video was being filmed. The die-hard fans who would care about an early announcement already know all about it thanks to the numerous articles, etc.

I'd say an official announcement next week gives ample time for the hype to build.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2030 on: September 26, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

All the hype can and will break here first on the Smiley board!  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 26, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »

Has anyone pre-ordered?  Smiley
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 26, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

Personally I would wait until there is an official announcement.  But for me I enjoy going to the store and picking up an album the day it's released. 
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 26, 2014, 12:24:18 PM »

Personally I would wait until there is an official announcement.  But for me I enjoy going to the store and picking up an album the day it's released. 

Yeah. I thought about that, but the only local place that sells new music is Walmart and I have doubts about them having it.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 26, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »

Unrelated I know, but Zooey teamed up with another music genius/studio whiz this year too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSJ2Cs-iAXw
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: September 26, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »

Yes, of course! Love the album title.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 26, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »

Ron: There are bad examples of long past it artists tapping into a currently relevant genre in order to drum up sales. Sure. Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys have been guilty of it before. I do suggest however that this has been always terminally out of touch -- accentuating further the desperation inherent-- and that pulling a random half qualified rapper to grab those kids in the early 90s is nowhere near to hiring one of the five most important popular musicians in the world to work on a track. Is there a difference between say that Smart Girls nonsense and a sober, inspired collaboration between BW and RZA or Melle Mel at his most lyrical or Afrikaa Bambaataa during Perfect Beat or Outkast when they dropped Elevators?

I agree wholeheartedly that an old man out of touch straining for some relevance in a genre he doesn't understand or value or perform well in is an embarrassment. But it is FAR MORE embarrassing for such a timeless artist to fail to acknowledge or understand a new wave of creativity when it is happening. For Brian Wilson to not be aware of Frank Ocean as a creator worth paying attention to and collaborating with, would in my estimation be a true sign of his unsuitability to tell us anything about anything ever again. The nostalgia train is comforting; it has great seats and a familiar view, but it will not lift you or transform your experience. You want a mishmash of what the harmonies used to be, a half dead perfection bleeding through in drabs get on that phony Produced By solo arse water. Personally I'd quite like to hear a great artist willing to step outside and make a bit of a fool of himself in the ever so slight hope of doing something new and exciting again.

According to the new Wiki article, the Frank Ocean collaboration was cut from the album. The article also mentions a member of the band "Fun" now appearing on the album.   
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »

According to the new Wiki article, the Frank Ocean collaboration was cut from the album. The article also mentions a member of the band "Fun" now appearing on the album.   

All mentioned on the board already. The Ocean collaboration was never finished, IIRC. The member of fun. is Nate Ruess, and Brian has compared his voice to Carl's.

I suspect there will be more guests, too.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 26, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »

Sears has the album for pre-order. Release date November 4th. http://entertainment.sears.com/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure/602537978038
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: September 26, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »

Right Time - AJ Lead Vocals
Run James Run - AJ Lead Vocals
Last Song - LDR
On the Island - Zooey
Sharing a New Day - Kacey
Guess You Had to Be There - Kacey
Special Love - Frank Ocean
Sail Away - ??

Hopefully Brian will have more than 8 songs.  I didn't realize how much of a collaboration album it was until I made this list...

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: September 27, 2014, 07:03:32 AM »

The Ocean collaboration was never finished, IIRC.

Frank Ocean is expected to release his next album sometime this year. Maybe something of the collaboration--if it was either finished or finishable by Ocean--ends up there instead of on Brian's album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 27, 2014, 08:01:27 AM »

Right Time - AJ Lead Vocals
Run James Run - AJ Lead Vocals
Last Song - LDR
On the Island - Zooey
Sharing a New Day - Kacey
Guess You Had to Be There - Kacey
Special Love - Frank Ocean
Sail Away - ??

Hopefully Brian will have more than 8 songs.  I didn't realize how much of a collaboration album it was until I made this list...

No way it's going to be an 8-track album. The Frank Ocean song isn't on it, for one thing, and I'd seriously doubt Kacey Musgraves gets two tracks. Also, no word if Run James Run is on it at all. You're also missing:

Saturday Night on Hollywood Boulevard - Nate Ruess

My guess is that we'll have an album of around 12-15 tracks, with about a third of them being the celebrity duets. The other two-thirds will be mostly Brian solo with a couple of leads from Al.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:08:30 AM by Wirestone » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 27, 2014, 08:29:43 AM »

Frank Ocean is expected to release his next album sometime this year. Maybe something of the collaboration--if it was either finished or finishable by Ocean--ends up there instead of on Brian's album.

Wasn't part of this "guest" deal that Brian guests on his guests' own albums in return for them guesting on his album? Which must slightly increase the chances of a guest appearance by Brian on Frank's next album… I guess…

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 27, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »

Wasn't part of this "guest" deal that Brian guests on his guests' own albums in return for them guesting on his album? Which must slightly increase the chances of a guest appearance by Brian on Frank's next album… I guess…
First time I've heard of that.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 27, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »

I don't think that's true at all.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 27, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »

I doubt it was a "guest for guest" type deal but I don't see why any of Brian's collaborators couldn't put the songs they did on their own albums. If the Frank Ocean song was cut from Brian's album, I'm hoping Frank releases it himself.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »

I certainly hope that should the Frank Ocean collaboration go unreleased that it was not due to the rather embarrassing response to the idea of a credible R&B/Rap fellow being on a Brian Wilson album some months back.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 27, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »

I doubt it was a "guest for guest" type deal but I don't see why any of Brian's collaborators couldn't put the songs they did on their own albums. If the Frank Ocean song was cut from Brian's album, I'm hoping Frank releases it himself.

I never heard of any kind of song-for-song arrangement, either. Whether Ocean has the right to release any of that material, if it exists in a releasable form, I don't know: my post above was definitely just a pipe dream.

If Musgraves has two songs, though, hopefully neither goes to waste. Last I heard, she planned to begin working on her second album next month, so I'd assume a 2015 release. In that she was touring with Katy Perry this summer, maybe we'll see something more purely pop (not that her "country" debut wasn't pretty doggone poppy) where a Wilson collaboration would fit right in.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 27, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »

Well Frank has said that the Beach Boys were going to be an influence on the new album, though of course that could have changed by now. I reckon his fans would be pretty accepting of the idea of a Brian Wilson guest spot or collaboration.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: September 28, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »

Yeah. I thought about that, but the only local place that sells new music is Walmart and I have doubts about them having it.

I've actually seen all of Brian's recent albums at Wal-Mart... so you might be surprised, they may stock it. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx