gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:16:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 572129 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: July 25, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »

ummmm.....

ok.

obviously taken on a whizz bang phone  Roll Eyes, during an overdub session in the control room, where nothing is mixed or set in stone.....

while Brian is overdubbing during a take........ or running through a part before recording...

and so many have already evaluated the album on that?....

do these people know how the recording process works these days???

what you've heard will sound nothing like the end product.........

RickB

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 25, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »

That was an official leak, though. I'm not sure why they put that short clip on the official Facebook page if they weren't expecting some to form an opinion, good or bad. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1627 on: July 25, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »

ummmm.....

ok.

obviously taken on a whizz bang phone  Roll Eyes, during an overdub session in the control room, where nothing is mixed or set in stone.....

while Brian is overdubbing during a take........ or running through a part before recording...

RickB

It's crazy, isn't it? Rick B, you're a level-headed poster who it seems comes here mostly to enjoy, share, and learn as many if not most of us do, the kind of contributor who makes this board as good as it is. In the past I might have suggested taking what these folks are saying about Autotune on that video clip with a grain of salt, but it's beyond that at this point and I hope it's becoming more and more clear by the page. Between the two of us, we'd need more salt than the Pacific and Atlantic oceans combined could offer to take this kind of thing seriously.  Grin

For those still making comments about hearing Autotune, if it bugs you enough to keep mentioning it here than save your money and don't buy the fucking album. This Autotune nonsense has now been discussed and challenged in this thread more times than necessary at this point. If someone can detect Autotune, which by design is supposed to be transparent unless as a special effect, over a cel phone clip of a rough mix being overdubbed onto in the studio, they should be working next to Bob Clearmountain and naming their own price to master recordings for major artists and studios. Because to suggest you can hear Autotune or anything effects-wise beyond the vocals themselves on that phone video is simply absurd. If someone wants to judge the poor quality of a full album based on a ten second clip which is nothing more than a rough studio cue mix which is being worked on, that too is absurd. There, it got said. I ran out of grains of salt to take this stuff with, in other words I'll call bullshit when I see it. And that's what this is. Sorry if it offends anyone.

It's at a point where the obvious isn't even the obvious anymore when it comes to pushing an agenda, and again this Autotune stuff looks like another aspect of it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #1628 on: July 25, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »

Seems to me the vast majority of comments that I`ve read about the 10 second clip have been positive. The negative opinions are just as valid imo.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1629 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »

That was an official leak, though. I'm not sure why they put that short clip on the official Facebook page if they weren't expecting some to form an opinion, good or bad. 

I'm guessing they put it up there for fans to get a glimpse into what's being done in the studio, most artists do it through social media, and beyond that a lot of younger bands in their 20's who play circuits like the Warped Tour will regularly post backstage impromptu acoustic performances, new songs they're still working on, and even duets with members of other bands. And their fan bases eat it up on social media. It's just a common thing in 2014.

If people said simply that they didn't like the ten second clip of the song, I don't think that would be as much of an issue as suggesting it's bad because the vocals have been Autotuned, which is impossible to judge from that video even beyond whether someone who was involved could either confirm or deny.

The Autotune stuff with this video clip is like looking at a plate of food before even tasting it and saying you didn't like it because it had too much salt.  Smiley  Far different from saying you didn't like it because you could see there was broccoli or something on the plate...something you could actually see, in other words.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »

ummmm.....

ok.

obviously taken on a whizz bang phone  Roll Eyes, during an overdub session in the control room, where nothing is mixed or set in stone.....

RickB

It's crazy, isn't it? Rick B, you're a level-headed poster who it seems comes here mostly to enjoy, share, and learn as many if not most of us do, the kind of contributor who makes this board as good as it is. In the past I might have suggested taking what these folks are saying about Autotune on that video clip with a grain of salt, but it's beyond that at this point and I hope it's becoming more and more clear by the page. Between the two of us, we'd need more salt than the Pacific and Atlantic oceans combined could offer to take this kind of thing seriously.  Grin

For those still making comments about hearing Autotune, if it bugs you enough to keep mentioning it here than save your money and don't buy the fucking album. This Autotune nonsense has now been discussed and challenged in this thread more times than necessary at this point. If someone can detect Autotune, which by design is supposed to be transparent unless as a special effect, over a cel phone clip of a rough mix being overdubbed onto in the studio, they should be working next to Bob Clearmountain and naming their own price to master recordings for major artists and studios. Because to suggest you can hear Autotune or anything effects-wise beyond the vocals themselves on that phone video is simply absurd. If someone wants to judge the poor quality of a full album based on a ten second clip which is nothing more than a rough studio cue mix which is being worked on, that too is absurd. There, it got said. I ran out of grains of salt to take this stuff with, in other words I'll call bullshit when I see it. And that's what this is. Sorry if it offends anyone.

It's at a point where the obvious isn't even the obvious anymore when it comes to pushing an agenda, and again this Autotune stuff looks like another aspect of it.

Hey Man!!!  Yes you just nailed everything I wanted to say, but I really couldn't be bothered going into the detail that you just went through....

knowing most would get back to........ autotune, this is the album, Brian working with so n so bla bla bla.......

Thankyou for expressing all of that.

and like guitarfool, up until now I just look over that stuff because of it all being silly, but it's really going too far....

we don't even know from that clip how well Brian knows the song, if you watch other clips of Brian in the studio, he is always

trying different things..... finding the note, which lines to sing, what fits where.....

this is Brian magic guys...... in the making

and guitarfool,

I love your posts man......... I enjoy reading about your knowledge on recording and 'the boys'....

Cheers from down under, RickB

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:06:08 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 25, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »

It's a 'teaser' to get you excited. This is done with movies, music, video games, and all sorts of other mediums.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1632 on: July 25, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »

ummmm.....

ok.

obviously taken on a whizz bang phone  Roll Eyes, during an overdub session in the control room, where nothing is mixed or set in stone.....

RickB

Hey Man!!!  Yes you just nailed everything I wanted to say, but I really couldn't be bothered going into the detail that you just went through....

knowing most would get back to........ autotune, this is the album, Brian working with so n so bla bla bla.......

Thankyou for expressing all of that.

and like guitarfool, up until now I just look over that stuff because of it all being silly, but it's really going too far....

we don't even know from that clip how well Brian knows the song, if you watch other clips of Brian in the studio, he is always

trying different things..... finding the note, which lines to sing, what fits where.....

this is Brian magic guys...... in the making

and guitarfool,

I love your posts man......... I enjoy reading about your knowledge on recording and 'the boys'....

Cheers from down under, RickB

Thank you, Rick! I share your thoughts that this is a very small glimpse into a very complex process of putting together not just a song but a collection of songs, a process which can see changes happen by the minute up to and including the final mix, and for those of us who have enjoyed and also have been captivated by what Brian has done in the studio going back to the 60's, we share some of the excitement of what the final product will sound like and can't wait to hear it. Maybe that's why I'm admittedly biased into at least giving it a fair shot when it's released and not trying to create ways to knock it down that don't even apply.

Nicko1234
« Reply #1633 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »

It's a 'teaser' to get you excited. This is done with movies, music, video games, and all sorts of other mediums.

And they do all garner opinions...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 25, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »

Her voice clearly has autotune applied to it, as plain as the nose on the end of my face. Guess you go stock up on some more salt.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1635 on: July 25, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »

Her voice clearly has autotune applied to it, as plain as the nose on the end of my face. Guess you go stock up on some more salt.

So now it's been adjusted to *her* voice that has it, plain as the nose on your face and you can positively hear that, what about Brian's stacked vocals? Do they have it too? Is it on the whole album? Was that a final vocal take we're hearing? Will that exact take/version be on the album, exactly as it is being played back on that cue mix?

Let's say her voice has Autotune because you say you can hear it on the 10-second phone video and for the sake of discussion, shall we add that to the ever-growing list of reasons why the album overall will suck? You know, file "Zooey's voice has been Autotuned" in between "Frank Ocean raps" and "bland song titles" on the list of negative points to prejudge the album.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 25, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »

So now it's been adjusted to *her* voice that has it, plain as the nose on your face and you can positively hear that, what about Brian's stacked vocals? Do they have it too? Is it on the whole album? Was that a final vocal take we're hearing? Will that exact take/version be on the album, exactly as it is being played back on that cue mix?

I have no way of knowing this and neither do you. All I can comment on is what I've heard and that clip has needless autotune I hear. Deny it all you want.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1637 on: July 25, 2014, 06:36:19 PM »

I have no way of knowing this and neither do you. All I can comment on is what I've heard and that clip has needless autotune I hear. Deny it all you want.

Wait...the parameters are changing as we go, it's hard to keep up...now it's not only Autotune but "needless" Autotune that you hear on the cel phone video, suggesting they applied Autotune to Zooey D's voice needlessly, or in other words where her vocal performance didn't really need it but they applied it anyway? And you can determine this as plain as the nose on your face by a cel phone video clip?

And I'm the one in denial, over what exactly? And for what purposes? Should I agree with your opinions across the board, "accept" that I not only am able to detect needless Autotune but that I actually can hear needless Autotune on the video? Is the next phase to suddenly decide the album will suck and that I shouldn't buy it when it's released?

Maybe that's a good idea, I can use the money I'll save to start paying back what I owe for all this god-damned salt I stocked up on.  Smiley

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 25, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »

No shifting parameters, I'm simply expanding on my initial post each time you reply but nice try on trying to twist my words. I'll go back to keeping it very simple. Her vocals have autotune on them - if you can't hear it then I suggest you consult an ENT specialist. As to if they are needless or not - I guess that depends on how one rates Zooey's singing abilty.
And why on earth would I care if you buy Brian's new album or not?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:50:52 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 25, 2014, 07:14:19 PM »

I'll keep it very simple. We are not hearing Zooey Deschanel at all in those clips. Instead, it is a Joe Thomas manipulated recording of a pterodactyl. It's perfectly clear if you have ears, and even those who don't have ears should be able to hear it because of the immense persuasiveness of my writing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 25, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »

As usual you manage to add absolutely nothing to anything.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 25, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »

Whoa, whoa. Now Mike's Beard and Wirestone are fighting? This is, like, my entire childhood all over again.

I expect AUTOTUNE because it's 2014 and B-Dubs is 72 years old. Whether or not it's tastefully applied, I will hope for hope for the best and enjoy it- I'm some fashion- no matter what.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 25, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »

We're too afraid of auto-tune. What if it were some other filter that sounded like auto-tune (BUT WASNT), would it still be awful? I thought the vocals sounded lovely in that clip anyway, regardless of whether or not they're being tampered with.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 25, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »

Whoa, whoa. Now Mike's Beard and Wirestone are fighting? This is, like, my entire childhood all over again.

I expect AUTOTUNE because it's 2014 and B-Dubs is 72 years old. Whether or not it's tastefully applied, I will hope for hope for the best and enjoy it- I'm some fashion- no matter what.

Maybe B-Dub ought to get the other JT to produce next time. At least then the autotune might be applied with some style.

But if such a thing as autotune rankles some fans, fair enough. If others don't mind nor hear it in the clip, fair enough as well. We have to be at peace with our own opinions and those of others.

Here we are in love with a band who's had MOST of their work raked over the coals by critics and we can't handle a few genuine fans disagreeing about  autotune?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:55:50 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 25, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »

I'll keep it very simple. We are not hearing Zooey Deschanel at all in those clips. Instead, it is a Joe Thomas manipulated recording of a pterodactyl. It's perfectly clear if you have ears, and even those who don't have ears should be able to hear it because of the immense persuasiveness of my writing.

Heh, remember that guy that lost his mind because he thought he heard auto-tune in WIBNTLA?

There's no autotune on WIBNTLA. You're just reveling in saying you're disappointed and looking for things to moan about.

Go f*** yourself you pissy little bitch.

I don't give a bollock what some internet c*** thinks.

Maybe relevant here?

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 25, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »

I'm super excited for this album  Smiley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 25, 2014, 08:01:42 PM »

Same~ I can't wait.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1647 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »

But now it's not even that someone hears it on Brian's vocals in that clip, it's that Zooey's vocals are Autotuned that's being suggested. Which isn't quite the issue...if one could actually hear that...which one could not...because Autotune would not normally be applied to a guest vocalist's voice on a retro-flavored Bossa Nova style track...unless it was T-Pain guesting on lead vocals....

Yeah, it's off the charts at this point.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 25, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »

Eh, edited. Am I that kind of person? Maybe. But still.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:15:26 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 25, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »

Mike's Beard is just angry that my obviously superior ears detected the telltale pterodactyl shrieks before he did.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:15:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx