gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:35:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 568204 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 22, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »

You are making assumptions that are not the case, actually listen to Frank Ocean to see why he is a fucking great SINGER who also raps.

Frank Ocean is great.  Love Frank Ocean.  There is nothing wrong with Frank Ocean.  Frank Ocean is musically talented.

However.

He RAPS.... RAPS... R-A-P-S on Brian Wilson's new album.  He may sing too... he may have produced it... he may have wrote it, but he most definitely RAPS on the song... which we have Brian ridiculing in interviews up until that happens.  

How did that happen?  Did Brian hear Frank Ocean on the radio, and decide that that's what he wants on his album?  Or did it happen some other way that might suggest maybe Brian isn't as excited about working with these musicians as some here are suggesting.

I'm just saying... open your eyes.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »

You are making assumptions that are not the case, actually listen to Frank Ocean to see why he is a fucking great SINGER who also raps.

Frank Ocean is great.  Love Frank Ocean.  There is nothing wrong with Frank Ocean.  Frank Ocean is musically talented.

However.

He RAPS.... RAPS... R-A-P-S on Brian Wilson's new album.  He may sing too... he may have produced it... he may have wrote it, but he most definitely RAPS on the song... which we have Brian ridiculing in interviews up until that happens.  

How did that happen?  Did Brian hear Frank Ocean on the radio, and decide that that's what he wants on his album?  Or did it happen some other way that might suggest maybe Brian isn't as excited about working with these musicians as some here are suggesting.

Open YOUR eyes. The RS article stated that the song was most likely canned. So he probably doesn't rap on the album at all.

Stop jumping to conclusions.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »

Just because he may not be passionate about the guest singers, doesn`t mean that he hasn`t been passionately working on the music for the past 18 months.

Well... no... it kind of does mean he doesn't give a sh*t.  You can get a ton of examples of Brian not giving a sh*t on the last album he did that had guest artists.  Go check it out.  That's the whole point we're all trying to stab you with.  

So because GIOMH was crap then it follows that this will be a carbon copy?

The best indicator of future results is past experience.  

Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Fool me once, shame on Brian Wilson.  Fool me twice, shame on me!

etc. etc. etc.

Every one of the guests on this album is making good music in the last two years and is under 30. It's p much the exact opposite of GIOMH, if you actually knew anything about modern music.

I hope you're right!

I'm really impressed that you're sad about that fact that Brian Wilson is collaborating with some talented musicians who aren't old white men.

He should probably give Mike a call, right?

What is your problem?  First you mention that two of them are homosexual, then you bring race into it... WTF man? 

It's my opinion.  The guests dont' sound great.  It has nothing to do with what color their genitals are.

I thought you were into country, you must have heard of Kacey Musgraves. She ain't homosexual, but wrote a song called Follow Your Arrow. You'd probably like it if you didn't think about it.

The guests don't sound great to you because you don't know sh*t about modern music, dude! It's ok to admit that, you're old now, but imagine how your dad would have felt if Johnny Cash was collaborating with Nick Cave. Who's Nick Cave? Some eighties man who sang a song with Kylie? f*** that.

Ron, you know nothing about modern music, and thus don't understand how cool it is that Brian is recording with these people. But you've gotta stop this 'GIOMH PART 2' nonsense.

You have to accept that these people are actually better than Eric Clapton.

Hypehat: I know plenty about modern music, I know all these artists and have heard all their music, and think they're all talented.

Your ignorant suggestion that I don't like the collaborations because one of them is homosexual shows your own insecurities.  First you brought up that I don't enjoy the collaborations because of homosexual reasons, then you brought up I don't enjoy the collaboration idea because they're not white.  

Apologize for that bullshit.  

I enjoy Kacey's song, and I listen to it, and I understand the simple context of the song, why you think you're the only one who realizes what the song is about is beyond me.  Why you think anybody would have a problem with the lyrics is also beyond me.

I'm just saying, Brian doesn't have a fucking clue who any of these people are, and all of a sudden picks them out of everybody in the universe to record music with.  It's forced.  It's bullshit.  It's fake, and I can smell it a mile away.  This bodes BADLY for the album.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 22, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »

However.

Open YOUR eyes. The RS article stated that the song was most likely canned. So he probably doesn't rap on the album at all.

I'm not jumping to conclusions.   Brian.  Recorded.  A.  Song.  With.  A.  Rapper.  He.  Says.  He.  Hates.  Rap.

Maybe it wasn't his idea? 

Shock!

Horror!

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 22, 2014, 06:11:42 PM »

Just because he may not be passionate about the guest singers, doesn`t mean that he hasn`t been passionately working on the music for the past 18 months.

Well... no... it kind of does mean he doesn't give a sh*t.  You can get a ton of examples of Brian not giving a sh*t on the last album he did that had guest artists.  Go check it out.  That's the whole point we're all trying to stab you with.  

So because GIOMH was crap then it follows that this will be a carbon copy?

The best indicator of future results is past experience.  

Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Fool me once, shame on Brian Wilson.  Fool me twice, shame on me!

etc. etc. etc.

Every one of the guests on this album is making good music in the last two years and is under 30. It's p much the exact opposite of GIOMH, if you actually knew anything about modern music.

I hope you're right!

I'm really impressed that you're sad about that fact that Brian Wilson is collaborating with some talented musicians who aren't old white men.

He should probably give Mike a call, right?

What is your problem?  First you mention that two of them are homosexual, then you bring race into it... WTF man? 

It's my opinion.  The guests dont' sound great.  It has nothing to do with what color their genitals are.

I thought you were into country, you must have heard of Kacey Musgraves. She ain't homosexual, but wrote a song called Follow Your Arrow. You'd probably like it if you didn't think about it.

The guests don't sound great to you because you don't know sh*t about modern music, dude! It's ok to admit that, you're old now, but imagine how your dad would have felt if Johnny Cash was collaborating with Nick Cave. Who's Nick Cave? Some eighties man who sang a song with Kylie? f*** that.

Ron, you know nothing about modern music, and thus don't understand how cool it is that Brian is recording with these people. But you've gotta stop this 'GIOMH PART 2' nonsense.

You have to accept that these people are actually better than Eric Clapton.

So, if you think Frank Ocean is fantastic! And love Lana Del Rey, Zooey, and whoever the hell else: this means you know all about modern music? But if you're not a big fan of any or all of these people: it means you know nothing about modern music??
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 22, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »

I'm not jumping to conclusions.   Brian.  Recorded.  A.  Song.  With.  A.  Rapper.  He.  Says.  He.  Hates.  Rap.

Maybe it wasn't his idea? 

Shock!

Horror!

He RAPS.... RAPS... R-A-P-S on Brian Wilson's new album

You're saying the song will be on the new album when that may not be the case. Hence:

Thanks.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »

It's not even that Pinder, it's just the suggestion that great artist A + Great artist B = Great song.  

If Great Artist A has a history of not giving a sh*t when he's forced to do something he doesn't want do, then often Great Artist A not giving a sh*t, plus Great artist B = Horrible song.

This has happened before.

Brian recording a rap verse over one of his songs has also happened before.  It sucked ass.  

I'm just saying, if you look at the EBIDENCE, with all apologies to Sheriff Buford T. Justice, Maybe Brian's not so excited about recording some of this stuff.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  It is Brian Wilson.  Maybe at 72, he finally started liking Rap.  Maybe at 72, he's now listening to all modern music and knows who Lana what's her last name is, and

maybe at 72 what he wants the most isn't to record a Beach Boys record with his 70 year old friends... like he says... but maybe what he really wants is to record an album of duets with 20 something's he's never met, like his press releases say.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »

Sounds like you would rather have Brian make bland music with "all American" Mike Love and his warped nostalgia view of America.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 22, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »

However.

I'm not jumping to conclusions.   Brian.  Recorded.  A.  Song.  With.  A.  Rapper. 

Twenty. Seven. Years. Ago.

http://youtu.be/r-kAnNgqN9o

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 22, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »

Sounds like you would rather have Brian make bland music with "all American" Mike Love and his warped nostalgia view of America.

I know Brian would...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »

He likes Mike's voice, not his lack of songwriting inspiration.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 22, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »

People all around the world in every nation
Like to get together for some excitations
If you're a girl appreciates her recreation
Why don't you let me take you on a love vacation

Rock!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 22, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »

QUOTH RON,

I'm just saying, Brian doesn't have a fucking clue who any of these people are, and all of a sudden picks them out of everybody in the universe to record music with.  It's forced.  It's bullshit.  It's fake, and I can smell it a mile away.  This bodes BADLY for the album.  
I know plenty about modern music, I know all these artists and have heard all their music, and think they're all talented.

Your ignorant suggestion that I don't like the collaborations because one of them is homosexual shows your own insecurities.  First you brought up that I don't enjoy the collaborations because of homosexual reasons, then you brought up I don't enjoy the collaboration idea because they're not white.  

Apologize for that bullshit.  

I enjoy Kacey's song, and I listen to it, and I understand the simple context of the song, why you think you're the only one who realizes what the song is about is beyond me.  Why you think anybody would have a problem with the lyrics is also beyond me.

THUS ENDETH THE WORD OF RON

Oh poor Brian. He doesn't know what he's doing. He's just spouting to the press how much he loves what he doesn't know what he's doing because someone (spoiler alert, it's probably Melinda) is doing exactly what he's doing.

YOU GOOD MAN.

YOU'RE GOING TO SAVE BRIAN WILSON

YOUR NAME WILL BE LAID DOWN IN THE STONE TABLETS

YOU WILL BE CAST IN THE RUNES

WE WILL MEET YOU IN THE DARKEST PITS.

AND WHEN WE ASCEND TO WHAT WE THINK OF AS HEAVEN,

WE MAY CRY,

BUT WE MAY ALSO SMILE,

WE CAN CAUSE PAIN

BUT WE CAN ALSO CAUSE GOOD FORTUNE,

AND WHAT DOES GOOD FORTUNE BRING

BUT WAITING,

AND WAITING IS PURGATORY,

WITH THE PROMISE OF DELIVERANCE,

AND YOU, RON, HAVE BROUGHT US FORWARD.

BUT WE WILL ALWAYS KNOW,

WE WILL ALWAYS FEAR,

BECAUSE FEAR IS EVERYTHING

THANK YOU RON.

THANK YOU RON
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:52:01 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 22, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »

People all around the world in every nation
Like to get together for some excitations
If you're a girl appreciates her recreation
Why don't you let me take you on a love vacation

Rock!

Know something though? ..... As blankety-blank cheeseball as Summer Of Love is: Mike rapped like he meant it! And you just know that when he laid down that rap, he knew in his heart that it was THE greatest gift to popular music of all time! .... Now, THAT I can feel and respect ..... Plus, the song is catchy as hell ..... So, there's really no law that says we have to hate it!  ..... Nor is there a law saying a Brian/Frank Ocean rap song would be crap! But, it might not be wise to go using Summer Of Love as cannon fodder when at this very moment Brian's working on .......... a rap song...... The last one he attempted was not even half as craptastic as Summer Of Love.... So ....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:38:08 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 22, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »

Defending summer of love. I dig! Razz

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 22, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »

Defending summer of love. I dig! Razz

Just put on the video and look at Mike's face!! He F*CKING MEANS IT!!!!

Brian looks absolutely horrified in that clip, but he slaps his knee along to the beat like he hopes someone gets him out of there before he starts digging it Razz
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »

Make a cover version of it Evil

Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »

It's not even that Pinder, it's just the suggestion that great artist A + Great artist B = Great song.  

If Great Artist A has a history of not giving a sh*t when he's forced to do something he doesn't want do, then often Great Artist A not giving a sh*t, plus Great artist B = Horrible song.

Brian recording a rap verse over one of his songs has also happened before.  It sucked ass.  

I'm just saying, if you look at the EBIDENCE, with all apologies to Sheriff Buford T. Justice, Maybe Brian's not so excited about recording some of this stuff.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  It is Brian Wilson.  Maybe at 72, he finally started liking Rap.  Maybe at 72, he's now listening to all modern music and knows who Lana what's her last name is, and

maybe at 72 what he wants the most isn't to record a Beach Boys record with his 70 year old friends... like he says... but maybe what he really wants is to record an album of duets with 20 something's he's never met, like his press releases say.

Ok. What do you plan to do about it high chief?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »

But Mike's so-called view of America and The Beach Boys is not warped at all!!!!

Not to toot my own horn here, but I was born and raised right in the epicenter of Beach Boys-dom! Almost every single 4th of July or Summer day of my entire life has been steeped in Beach Boys! I've done it all! I've spent countless days at the beach, surfing, swimming, running: myself and my friends blasting Beach Boys, just like almost everyone else in sight! Nothing like catching a wave while The Girls On The Beach blares from the sand as you're actually gazing at girls on the beach! Then you wipe out and are thinking don't back down, just as Don't Back Down comes on next! .... Then it's dark and time to pack it up and head to someone's pad off the strand and get baked and put on Pet Sounds and get all deep and philosophical. Then someone who dropped acid freaks out when Smiley Smile or a SMILE bootleg comes on, so we toss Wild Honey on the turntable to cool then out, But then Love You comes on and wrecks their head, so we throw on Friends and it's all good ..... Then the next day at the beach someone's blasting Kokomo and we make a joke or two but still bop along to the beat.... What other band has helped create/define and symbolize a way of life like The Beach Boys???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:19:40 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »

Jeez, this board has slowly become a total pain.  Everyone is so smart and has little better to do than have pissing matches.  Maybe the next album will suck.  So many of us have pre-conceived notions as to WHY it will suck - auto-tuning, Joe Thomas involvement, Melinda pulling the strings, it isn't a Beach Boys album, Brian isn't REALLY writing the songs, the songs aren't REALLY new songs, it doesn't have Dennis on it, Carl didn't sing lead, the guest artists aren't Brian's idea, it's no Pet Sounds, on and on... very tiring.  Seems to me that most of us are HOPING it SUCKS... Why do any of us actually come to this board?
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »

Pinder, agreed. I can't stand Mike (personally) but his nostalgia is anything but warped.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 22, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »

So many of us have pre-conceived notions as to WHY it will suck - auto-tuning, Joe Thomas involvement, Melinda pulling the strings, it isn't a Beach Boys album, Brian isn't REALLY writing the songs, the songs aren't REALLY new songs, it doesn't have Dennis on it, Carl didn't sing lead, the guest artists aren't Brian's idea, it's no Pet Sounds, on and on... very tiring.

mtaber, that's ^ a good observation and I agree with you. Why do you think so many people feel that way?
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 22, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »

Jeez, this board has slowly become a total pain.  Everyone is so smart and has little better to do than have pissing matches.  Maybe the next album will suck.  So many of us have pre-conceived notions as to WHY it will suck - auto-tuning, Joe Thomas involvement, Melinda pulling the strings, it isn't a Beach Boys album, Brian isn't REALLY writing the songs, the songs aren't REALLY new songs, it doesn't have Dennis on it, Carl didn't sing lead, the guest artists aren't Brian's idea, it's no Pet Sounds, on and on... very tiring.  Seems to me that most of us are HOPING it SUCKS... Why do any of us actually come to this board?

The pissing matches. Those are fun. Wink
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »

Because we like Brian's music, and the Beach Boys.  We all have different opinions, what's the problem?  "OH NO, SOMEBODY DISAGREES! LETS CALL HIM A HOMOPHOBE AND A RACIST!"

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »

Ok. What do you plan to do about it high chief?

Everything I can!  Mainly, bitch about it on a messageboard. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx