gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:16:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 568592 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: November 15, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »

Which would be a shame. Put them together, add Dave and you have a great band that may get Brian bringing his A game to this concert and TV special. Agree with those already suggesting late 60s early 70s material.

It's completely against everything Brian stands for, though.  He loves the live show to sound exactly like the studio album, and if he's in charge (and he is) then that's how it's going to happen.

Personally, if I had anything to do with it, I'd have Blondie, Ricky, Dave, and Al playing instruments on stage on every song.  Make it rock more than the album, if you have to simplify some of it, do it.  There's plenty of credible musicians in Brian's band to pick up the pieces and make something out of all of it.  

Just get the vocals as strong as possible, give Brian his 8 part harmony he likes and make all that sound as great as Brian wants it... but I'd make the band a little more rough, a little more rocking like the 70's band was.  They kicked ass.  Take it back to that for a tour or two and see what you have.  

Oh yeah for sure. I was meaning those 5 BB's with Brian's guys. Should have been clearer. Brian has said for years he wants to make a R&R album. Done right these guys could just about do it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:28:35 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: November 15, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »

Definately... but I think Brian wouldn't go for it (the rougher, rockier sound like they had in the 70's) because he wants a perfect reproduction of the studio sound.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong, though. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: November 16, 2014, 12:50:11 AM »

I think a Brian-led R&R album would probably sound a lot more like his cover version of I'm Into Something Good than the 70s In Concert album.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: November 16, 2014, 01:15:57 AM »

Guess we will see next year although this wiki page on the album quotes a David Beard story from ESQ Spring 2014.

Thomas, comparing the record to That's Why God Made the Radio, stated: "Musically, it has a rougher edge to it. The harmonies are cool, but it’s more akin to the music on Wild Honey and the Carl & the Passions records ... This new material is not a reprise to that album at all; it’s taking it further.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Pier_Pressure
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: November 17, 2014, 01:02:02 AM »

Why the fuck is an album that is done going to come out almost a half a year from now?

Stupid as hell. Brian could write & produce another album between now and then, but for some reason, nah, we gotta wait several months to hear music that is allegedly "done".

YOU SUCK, CAPITOL RECORDS. I probably won't even buy a copy of it anymore, knowing that these suit wearing muhfuckas are bogarting it to release at a time where they think they're more able to make more cash money off of it....

No mas, por favor.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: November 17, 2014, 02:46:54 AM »

Why the fuck is an album that is done going to come out almost a half a year from now?

Stupid as hell. Brian could write & produce another album between now and then, but for some reason, nah, we gotta wait several months to hear music that is allegedly "done".

YOU SUCK, CAPITOL RECORDS. I probably won't even buy a copy of it anymore, knowing that these suit wearing muhfuckas are bogarting it to release at a time where they think they're more able to make more cash money off of it....

You've answered your own question here. Why will Capitol make more money...? Because more people will buy it and listen to it. Is that such a bad thing?

There is absolutely no point in releasing a Brian Wilson record now and have it make #63 on the charts, when they could wait 6 months for the film tie-in and have it reach #18.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: November 17, 2014, 04:55:17 AM »

You've answered your own question here. Why will Capitol make more money...? Because more people will buy it and listen to it. Is that such a bad thing?

There is absolutely no point in releasing a Brian Wilson record now and have it make #63 on the charts, when they could wait 6 months for the film tie-in and have it reach #18.

Yeah, it especially makes sense if the album is good and the film is good. If the film can translate some of the magic and the album can back up a portion of that magic it will be able to attract a good audience. Probably some folks too who aren't yet big fans. I remember getting Imagination after seeing Endless Harmony the first time. A little bit of a disappointment.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: November 17, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »

Yeah, it especially makes sense if the album is good and the film is good. If the film can translate some of the magic and the album can back up a portion of that magic it will be able to attract a good audience. Probably some folks too who aren't yet big fans. I remember getting Imagination after seeing Endless Harmony the first time. A little bit of a disappointment.

I cannot understand why a commercial concern like Capitol would try to maximise profits. I mean, does it think that's what commerce is all about? Does it always have to come down to folks making a living, Brian included?

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: November 17, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »

It's a tough wait for us who have been following the album for over a year now but if releasing it in few months means more people will buy it, I'm all for that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2384 on: November 17, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »

Lessee... movie in summer and new autobio in the spring (allegedly - all pretty quiet on that front of late...)... yeah, let's release it now and let it sink.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: November 18, 2014, 12:24:28 AM »

Yeah, let's all act like this new Brian Wilson album isn't gonna do well for like a WHOLE ENTIRE WEEK on the charts then sink like a fuckin' rock like that last Beach Boys album did just because it's gonna be released around the same time as some shitty John Cusack movie.

Get real, how bout?

Release this completed album now, since it's, you know, done, finished, sitting there collecting dust. This upcoming movie is already going to boost sales of albums already released, not a collection of songs that have nothing to do with this movie, why not strike while Lana Del Rey is actually still popular? Zooey Deschanel hasn't released a damn thing people have cared about in how many years? Since that Will Ferrell movie "Elf" came out, how many years ago? And that Nate Ruess fool, it's getting to be, what, 2+ years since that "tonight, we are young" song, which is the last thing/only thing by his band anybody actually gave a crap about came out?

Yeah, let's wait to release the album 'til some biopic starring some washed up actor is released to the general public!!! That oughta sell a million copies in January.

Let's all just pretend this is lalaland and that a Brian Wilson album will actually sell enough copies to support the guy, and he won't have to tour to support himself, like 99 out of 100 artists currently in the business have to do to make a living.

LALALAND SURE IS GREAT!!! I AM A PIRATE AND I COMMANDEER SHIPS WITH COTTON CANDY SAILS AND MASTS MADE OF PEPPERMINT TWISTS>

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: November 18, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »

Oh gosh, how could I forget to mention Don Was and his involvement in this record and all the mainstream success he has achieved with his Was Not Wats band and that critically acclaiming multiplatinum retread of Brian Wilson classics he was involved with back in the 1990s!!!

Definitely wait to release this album!!! Even though it's done, it's better to sell a couple thousand extra copies when the John Cusack movie comes out, not in the time that happens between now and then!!!

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: November 18, 2014, 12:38:37 AM »

Sorry, I'm a little drunk, but my point still stands. In these days of album sales not meaning a goshdarn thing unless your name is Taylor Swift, Lady Gag, or Justin Bieber, there's literally no point in not releasing an album that's done, regardless of if you have some movie that's not even almost anticipated by anybody who isn't a hardcore fan supposedly being released in the near future.

Just let us hear it and move on to your next musical endeavor, known as Pleasure Island.

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: November 18, 2014, 12:55:48 AM »

Sorry, I'm a little drunk, but my point still stands. In these days of album sales not meaning a goshdarn thing unless your name is Taylor Swift, Lady Gag, or Justin Bieber, there's literally no point in not releasing an album that's done, regardless of if you have some movie that's not even almost anticipated by anybody who isn't a hardcore fan supposedly being released in the near future.

Just let us hear it and move on to your next musical endeavor, known as Pleasure Island.

Your point has some validity, aye! But this is commerce, be real… and I get the impression you;re not expecting that much of any of this new product anyway, so why do you care?!

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: November 18, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »

I'm from that instant gratification generation. If I can't have it now, I don't want it at all.  Smiley

I just think Brian could be done and onto the next one, rather than incubating these tracks that we've been told are done.

It's like Capitol Records doesn't even WANT Pleasure Island to be written.....

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: November 18, 2014, 01:01:03 AM »

Your point has some validity, aye! But this is commerce, be real… and I get the impression you;re not expecting that much of any of this new product anyway, so why do you care?!

But man, knowing you thru-hiked that PCT, I got such mad respect for you. That's my dream that I'm too broke & collapsed arched in my right foot to actually conquer in the near future. MAD RESPECTS.

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: November 18, 2014, 02:30:08 AM »

I'm from that instant gratification generation. If I can't have it now, I don't want it at all.  Smiley

I just think Brian could be done and onto the next one, rather than incubating these tracks that we've been told are done.

It's like Capitol Records doesn't even WANT Pleasure Island to be written.....

I wouldn't be at all surprised I we get NPP, the L&M soundtrack CD and at least one other BW album in 2015 - not to mention any BBs archival product that's waiting in the wings…

To those of who've been hanging on for decades, a couple of years qualifies as instant gratification!

As for the PCT, that's not going anywhere ('cept Canada) for the foreseeable future! And bear in mind, in the time it took me to hike that, Brian put out two studio albums! Owt can happen in BBs Land…

Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2392 on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:09 AM »

Wouldn't hold your breath for a soundtrack album: I think the legalistics will scupper that one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: November 18, 2014, 04:22:58 AM »

Wouldn't hold your breath for a soundtrack album: I think the legalistics will scupper that one.

Sad

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2394 on: November 18, 2014, 06:46:58 AM »

I wouldn’t be particular bummed if a soundtrack album for the movie didn’t materialize. I’m not particularly interested in buying what would probably be *another* compilation of stuff we already have, sprinkled with one or two “unique” items.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:59 AM »

I wouldn’t be particular bummed if a soundtrack album for the movie didn’t materialize. I’m not particularly interested in buying what would probably be *another* compilation of stuff we already have, sprinkled with one or two “unique” items.

If it's more like the 'Walk The Line' soundtrack (where the Phoenix/Witherspoon singing is featured) I wouldn't be against it...especially if Dano's vocals are good (Apparently they did some great editing of Dano and Wilson's vocals). If they are unique/great sounding mixes in the movie, it would be a shame if they weren't available for purchase.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: November 18, 2014, 07:02:47 AM »

Quote from: stack-o-tracks

Oh come on, Brian's delusional management probably think they have a #1 hit on their hands with Lana Del Ray and Zooey Deschanel guest starring. That's not to say that album won't do OK, but I just can't see it blowing up the charts. They're banking on two miracles, I think. 1. The movie being a surprise smash hit. 2. Everyone that's a fan of the guest stars demanding the album because it's a collab with Brian Wilson, someone they don't know from Adam.  

Also, do you think there's any way in hell "Brian" said this:  "It kind of bums me out to see some of the negativity here about the album I've been working so hard on. In my life in music, I’ve been told too many times not to f*** with the formula, but as an artist it’s my job to do that – and I think I’ve earned that right ... So let’s just wait until the album comes out because I think you just might dig it as much as I do."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: November 18, 2014, 07:14:25 AM »

Quote from: stack-o-tracks

Oh come on, Brian's delusional management probably think they have a #1 hit on their hands with Lana Del Ray and Zooey Deschanel guest starring. That's not to say that album won't do OK, but I just can't see it blowing up the charts. They're banking on two miracles, I think. 1. The movie being a surprise smash hit. 2. Everyone that's a fan of the guest stars demanding the album because it's a collab with Brian Wilson, someone they don't know from Adam.  

Also, do you think there's any way in hell "Brian" said this:  "It kind of bums me out to see some of the negativity here about the album I've been working so hard on. In my life in music, I’ve been told too many times not to f*** with the formula, but as an artist it’s my job to do that – and I think I’ve earned that right ... So let’s just wait until the album comes out because I think you just might dig it as much as I do."

Just curious: why is Brian's management delusional?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: November 18, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »

Oh come on, Brian's delusional management probably think they have a #1 hit on their hands with Lana Del Ray and Zooey Deschanel guest starring. That's not to say that album won't do OK, but I just can't see it blowing up the charts.

You haven't heard the album - how can you say that music you know nothing about will perform poorly on the charts? I'm optimistic about the future of this album, but I'm not going to post about how ITS DEF A #1 SMASH YA'LL

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: November 18, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »

I also think there's some skepticism because, well, when have any of these plans by Brian's management to turn him into a contemporary commercial artist worked? They completely misread his audience and deliver stuff no one really wants. He has a dedicated fan base of music nuts that will buy anything they think he put his heart into. Why isn't that ever enough? We're ecstatic when we know Brian really wrote the bass line to a song, because that's all we want: Brian's honest musical expression. But no. We constantly have to have all these other people filtering Brian's ideas through a contemporary lens.

Where is the sense of legacy? 50 years from now no is going to care about Joe Thomas' nylon guitar arrangements.

Quote from: The Esteemed Woodstock
You haven't heard the album - how can you say that music you know nothing about will perform poorly on the charts? I'm optimistic about the future of this album, but I'm not going to post about how ITS DEF A #1 SMASH YA'LL
I don't think it'll perform poorly. It's just not going to destroy the charts. I expect a TWGMTR performance, and I don't think the release date is going to change its trajectory much. It's much ado about nothing.

I also think it'll be a good album with some nice Brian songs, though at least half of it will be drenched with whatever resident dork Joe Thomas thinks is hit arranging.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:24:04 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx