gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:29:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 571236 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 20, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »

Why is there so much cynicism? You'd think there would be excitement and optimism surrounding this whole thing - Brian's doing something new that he's never done before! We were skeptical - "How much is Brian REALLY in control of his life?" and then Ray came to assuage or fears; Brian is at the steering wheel and this album is GOOD. Us fans are gonna like it. But for whatever reason, fans can't sit tight with the knowledge this could be a really good record.

Oh mah gah! It's unreal! Unreal! Who would question that Pulitzer Prize winner Jason Fine for issuing PR shill stuff in the guise of a news article! Ooops, I shouldn't have said that! I'm sooooo sorry! That's real journalism, end of story! END OF STORY! I have to get my smug, condescending, patronizing hat on and start writing five paragraph posts how we should only write positive things about the music of 72 year old Brian Wilson, who is FULLY in control of every note written on his new album. He wrote every song, every note! He arranged every flyspeck on e every chart played on by Jeff Beck and all other session players. He decided every song that was to appear on the album. He produced it all, sliding every slider. He hand-picked every singer who appeared on the album, deciding all the way to last year to have Lana Del So and So and Frank Ocean to sing on his album, because they are his favorite artists, because Jason Fine said they are his favorite artists. Sure, I have to believe that, he's 72  I can't wait to hear it. It will be the best thing since "Pet Sounds" and every bit of an example of how Brian is in total control.  Joe Thomas is just there to worship him from afar. Probably working for free, like a student auditing a master class.

You can be as cynical and unpleasant as you want about this, but that doesn't change the fact you really know very little about this album: what it sounds like, how its being made, the production, etc etc etc. This is becoming very ugly for no good reason, and I'm wondering why, if you aren't excited for this album or apparently even a fan, you continue posting such negativity despite, again, not knowing anything.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 20, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Why is there so much cynicism? You'd think there would be excitement and optimism surrounding this whole thing - Brian's doing something new that he's never done before! We were skeptical - "How much is Brian REALLY in control of his life?" and then Ray came to assuage or fears; Brian is at the steering wheel and this album is GOOD. Us fans are gonna like it. But for whatever reason, fans can't sit tight with the knowledge this could be a really good record.

Oh mah gah! It's unreal! Unreal! Who would question that Pulitzer Prize winner Jason Fine for issuing PR shill stuff in the guise of a news article! Ooops, I shouldn't have said that! I'm sooooo sorry! That's real journalism, end of story! END OF STORY! I have to get my smug, condescending, patronizing hat on and start writing five paragraph posts how we should only write positive things about the music of 72 year old Brian Wilson, who is FULLY in control of every note written on his new album. He wrote every song, every note! He arranged every flyspeck on e every chart played on by Jeff Beck and all other session players. He decided every song that was to appear on the album. He produced it all, sliding every slider. He hand-picked every singer who appeared on the album, deciding all the way to last year to have Lana Del So and So and Frank Ocean to sing on his album, because they are his favorite artists, because Jason Fine said they are his favorite artists. Sure, I have to believe that, he's 72  I can't wait to hear it. It will be the best thing since "Pet Sounds" and every bit of an example of how Brian is in total control.  Joe Thomas is just there to worship him from afar. Probably working for free, like a student auditing a master class.

You can be as cynical and unpleasant as you want about this, but that doesn't change the fact you really know very little about this album: what it sounds like, how its being made, the production, etc etc etc. This is becoming very ugly for no good reason, and I'm wondering why, if you aren't excited for this album or apparently even a fan, you continue posting such negativity despite, again, not knowing anything.

Thank you, Woodstock.

Some of those here cats need to get a life..
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 20, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »

Why are over 40 people viewing the thread

Tracklist?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 20, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »

The only real thing we have to go on here is that audio snippet, which I loved. Sounded great to me.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 20, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »

Exactly, one good snipet and a lot of bullshit criticizing it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 20, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »

The only real thing we have to go on here is that audio snippet, which I loved. Sounded great to me.

I agree, I really liked it too and I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing.
I think Zooey was well-used in her role for that song. It doesn't necessarily call for a great singer, just a charming one, and that's what Zooey brings to the table.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1181 on: July 20, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »

While I do think this board could be a lot more positive generally, I also think that people do exaggerate some sort of anti-Brian agenda... We have only heard a 10 second snippet of the album so far but it seemed to get a very positive reaction from nearly everyone.

Many of the negative comments that I`ve read seem to be focused on `less guest singers and more Brian leads`, `let Brian be in control of the album instead of being forced to work with people he doesn`t know the names of`, `stop making statements on Brian`s behalf that seem unlikely to be 100% true` etc.

Now I don`t see these as being anti-Brian at all but much more anti his management. Like most people on this board I am looking forward to hearing the new music and, because Brian seems engaged in it, think it could be rather good.

Just because I don`t believe that Brian really does rank Lana Del Ray as one of his favourite artists doesn`t mean anything negative towards Brian...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 20, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »

You know how ridiculous you sound?

"Why do people think that Brian is completely in control or that this album is entirely Brian's so called vision?" NO ONE IS SAYING THIS. In fact read my reply to your question...If the above is your reply then LOL

Frankly, I don't care if there isn't one iota of positivity in this thread - I'd just like some civil discussion about this album that doesn't involve "Zooey's voice is always off pitch" "AUTOTUNE" "Frank Ocean rapped on this album? BURN THE TAPES"

You guys have led this anti-new-album circle jerk long enough.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 20, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »

Agreed, BW is always ahead of the curve in music. It's the people that are behind it create problems for him.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 20, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »

I agree, I really liked it too and I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing.
I think Zooey was well-used in her role for that song. It doesn't necessarily call for a great singer, just a charming one, and that's what Zooey brings to the table.

I definitely think once Brian's vocals are mixed into that track they'll both sound wonderful together. The :10 second clip really didn't do much justice, but man you can hear a lot of creativity going on behind the scenes regardless.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: July 20, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »

This anti-new music crowd seems to favor the worn out and lame M&B nostalgia act that hasn't changed the setlist since 1974.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 20, 2014, 03:53:57 PM »

Let's look back at this new BW album with love.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 20, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »

I must say, I'm really looking forward to that new Brian Wilson LP. Smiley An overwhelming amount of positive indicators so far.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 20, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »

After it comes out, maybe he'll finally be able to do that R&R album he's been wanting to make all these years~

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 20, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »

The album might feature Math Jardine, but I would not count on it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:02:39 PM by I Zupport the Other Guyz Who Changed Their Namez » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 20, 2014, 03:59:06 PM »

After it comes out, maybe he'll finally be able to do that R&R album he's been wanting to make all these years~
Possible.. he's still going strong, after all.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 20, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »

He definitely seems to have stockpiled a good bit of material for this album during the making, so it's not impossible that we might see another sometime soon.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »

He definitely seems to have stockpiled a good bit of material for this album during the making, so it's not impossible that we might see another sometime soon.

Like half a year ago, I swear there was an article that stated Brian had recorded 30 songs for the new album project - and who knows how many tunes he's recorded since.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 20, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »

The album might feature Math Jardine, but I would not count on it.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 20, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »

Also, I hope I can buy it on vinyl on day 1 of release. That would be very nice.

If I can't - no biggie - I'll be happy to have it on vinyl at all, at any point, though it seems like most artists release their music on vinyl these.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:28:21 PM by I HATE ALL MUSIC » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 20, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

Also, I hope I can buy it on vinyl on day 1 of release. That would be very nice.

If I can't - no biggie - I'll be happy to have it on vinyl at all, at any point, though it seems like most artists release their music on vinyl these.

I was really hoping to get this one on vinyl as well. Fingers crossed!

Nicko1234
« Reply #1196 on: July 20, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »

Like half a year ago, I swear there was an article that stated Brian had recorded 30 songs for the new album project - and who knows how many tunes he's recorded since.

Wasn`t there also an article about TWGMTR that said that they`d completed 28 songs? Maybe some of the same ones of course but perhaps these numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:42:04 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 20, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »

Something like that. I want to hear Bruce's vocal on the remake of She Believes In Love Again  Grin

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »

Once things were simple and I was pure, circa 1997. I first got online and got to know fellow Beach Boys' fans from all over the world. Leaked tracks, new info, it was beautiful.

Then there was word about a new Brian wilson realease, which turned out to be Imagination.

Then I got it. Things would never be the same.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 20, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »

Who is this strawman that is contending that Brian wrote every note? No one is saying that. I mean, we haven't seen the credits yet, but all reports indicate that there will be at least some co-writes, just as there are in every other album Brian has involved himself with.

And again, reports are that Joe Thomas is helping out with the production, off and on. Who is disputing this? And ok, maybe you don't like Joe Thomas' production style -- but what is wrong, in theory, with BW having a co-producer? Is that somehow cheating?

I'm sure the guest artists were suggested to Brian by others. Ok, that might be an area of concern. But my guess is that Brian is totally on board with it -- he wants a hit record.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx