-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:14:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The cigarettes thread Pt.2
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The cigarettes thread Pt.2  (Read 17598 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:56:56 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:57:21 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:57:37 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »

Trivia fact time: Gitanes were John Lennon's brand.

Gitanes/Gauloises are another one that smell really bad, but taste great. You can't get them in the US anymore.  Angry   I don't think there's any law against them, but for some reason they're no longer imported.

I asked someone who was going to France to buy me a pack. I forgot to ask for brunes.  Cry

The blondes just taste like American cigarettes.  

halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:57:49 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:28:59 PM »

I've never really gotten tobacco. Used to smoke a few cigs every weekend back in the 9th grade when going out only because all of my friends did so, but never really felt the need when on my own. They don't do much for me, take it or leave it really. However, if I were to choose a favourite from the ones I've tried, I'd stick with the classic Marlboro red:

halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:57:59 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »

Smoked since I was 16, moved onto e-ciggies last september after it f***ed with my voice a week before a show, and now i won't look back. Not wishing to rain on y'alls parade, but cancer seems like an ugly death and I'm only in my 20's, and the aesthetic downsides of smoking actual cigarettes  - the stank, crappy teeth, phlegm, setting fire to £80 a week, having to listen to fuckwits whilst trying to smoke a cigarette IN PEACE, DAMMIT, standing outside the pub in the rain trying desperately to light a sodden Pall Mall whilst passers by look at you funny, etc - outweigh idk, smoking as a social and internal (i used to love my first cigarette of the day, y'know?) thing. I dread summer because i'll be sat in pub gardens surrounded by smokers, tbh. E-Cigarettes seem like a knife at a gun fight.

I still need my nicotine fix, tho. Damn you, e-cigarettes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:54:20 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 11:44:47 PM »

Loved me some Djarums. The new versions suck sh*t. So now I don't smoke anything that isn't green and I've even cut that sort of consumption to practically never. Hug life.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 09:12:51 PM »

Nasty, nasty habit. I've hated the smell of cigarette smoke since I was a little kid. Apparently I was secure enough with myself as a teenager that I didn't need people to think I was "cool and rebellious". However, left-handed cigs are an entirely different story...  Cool Guy Cool Guy

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 01:01:42 AM »

Never understood the appeal of drying and shredding some leaves, rolling them in a tube of thin paper, putting one end in your mouth and lighting the other end then sucking.

My father, a smoker since 14, died of lung cancer, and smoking sure didn't help my mother in her declining years. Smoking isn't cool, chic or rebellious. It's nasty, smelly, expensive, antisocial and monumentally stupid, and I'll say that to the face on any smoker. I've never even had an unlit cig in my mouth. Being the only non-smoker in a class of 30-odd other schoolboys in the late 60s/early 70s... now that's real peer pressure. My stance is this: your illness is smoke/alcohol/drug related, you don't get free treatment. Your choice, your problem: I don't want my takes paying for the new liver of some drunken sot.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 01:18:17 AM »

Never understood the appeal of drying and shredding some leaves, rolling them in a tube of thin paper, putting one end in your mouth and lighting the other end then sucking.

My father, a smoker since 14, died of lung cancer, and smoking sure didn't help my mother in her declining years. Smoking isn't cool, chic or rebellious. It's nasty, smelly, expensive, antisocial and monumentally stupid, and I'll say that to the face on any smoker. I've never even had an unlit cig in my mouth. Being the only non-smoker in a class of 30-odd other schoolboys in the late 60s/early 70s... now that's real peer pressure. My stance is this: your illness is smoke/alcohol/drug related, you don't get free treatment. Your choice, your problem: I don't want my takes paying for the new liver of some drunken sot.

Nicely put. Though what if someone gets an illness that is smoking related, but only from second-hand smoke? Then do you think they should get free treatment?
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 02:31:27 AM »

Smoking is stupid and deadly, but I'm not here to preach.

It's funny, ever since I was little I always loved the smell of tobacco smoke (and no, nobody close to me smoked), even though everybody else always called it nasty and everything else.

The taste is great IMO, the breath is a different story. And, at the right times, a nicotine buzz can be fun.

I wouldn't call myself a smoker, but I can see the appeal.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 02:46:01 AM »

I agree mostly with what you are saying. Still the insane ammont of taxes a person in the UK pays on a pack of fags somewhat justifies their entitlement to healthcare if they end up with a smoking related illness.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 05:15:36 AM »

Nicely put. Though what if someone gets an illness that is smoking related, but only from second-hand smoke? Then do you think they should get free treatment?

Very fair point: chances are I'll be that person, as both my folks smoked like chimneys. If it can be proven, then yes, and I hereby grant myself that very exemption.  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »

Very fair point: chances are I'll be that person, as both my folks smoked like chimneys. If it can be proven, then yes, and I hereby grant myself that very exemption.  Grin

What about other illnesses that are caused or influenced by behaviors? For example, in the USA (and I believe UK, to a lesser extent), obesity has become a major problem. It can raise the risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, certain cancers, etc. Should tax dollars for the healthcare of the obese be withheld if they develop any conditions known to be caused by it? What about skin cancer being withheld from anyone who tans?

I understand your point and on the surface it seems like a fine idea, but I think without much effort you can point to behavior-related causes or contributors for virtually any health problem. Deciding what is or isn't worthy tax dollars would seem problematic. I think the better plan is to educate and regulate to try to curb the behaviors.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »

I used to smoke during my late-teens through early 30s, mostly when I was having alcoholic beverages. I'm so glad I stopped because (and I agree with AGD) smoking is a filthy and gross habit. Looking back on my smoking-years, I cannot even believe that I allowed myself to smoke. I'm an obsessive neat freak. I cannot stand strong odors. How the hell was I okay with smoking? Makes no sense. But I'm glad I stopped doing it. My home and automobile are smoke-free zones! And I'm glad that people aren't allowed to smoke in restaurants and concert halls anymore. Where I live you cannot smoke in public parks. Wow! Times have changed haven't they!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »

For my little on-topic bio--having only responded on a policy level to AGD but not said anything--I'm not a smoker and never have been. I don't mind other people smoking, and actually enjoy a certain amount of smoke in certain environments. Conversely, I recall being a little kid in the late 70 and early 80s and being at other people's houses where the smoke was baked into shag carpets or whatever, ashtrays always full, and that was pretty disgusting. But outside, or in a bar with a lot of wood, I like it somewhat.

Like the last poster, it's pretty heavily restricted where I live. It was made illegal in bars about 10 years ago (which seemed like a revolution at the time), is banned in parks, etc. Big change from my younger days.

As far as the legality, I have a hard time being too strong on any side, in part because of the post I did above. I believe in individual liberty to the largest extent practicable, but I am also a believer in a more socialized healthcare system than we have in the US. (I realize those things seem incompatible, but note that I said "as practicable" ... it's all about finding middle ground.) So like AGD, I hate the idea of subsidizing other people's bad decisions ... but I hate the idea--very real in the U.S.--of people being denied healthcare and dying because they can't afford it, whether they contributed to it themselves or not. Especially because in many cases, their own ignorance helps lead to the decisions they've made. (Not in every case, not entirely, and that doesn't entirely absolve them of responsibility.)

Anyway, yeah. Nonsmoker without strong anti-smoking feelings. Before anyone comments that I'd feel differently if I'd lost someone, I should note that one of my grandparents died of smoking-caused emphysema.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 09:44:28 AM »

There was, of course, a time when smoking wasn't merely tolerated but actively promoted - hell, some of the adverts used commendations from DOCTORS  claiming that their brand wasn't only safe to smoke but actually healthy - but anyone who has started smoking in, say, the last 30-35 years in the face of the medical evidence is, to be blunt, a f****** moron and deserves no free medical care: they knew exactly what they were doing and the consequences thereof. Oh, you've got lung cancer ? You smoke 20 a day ? Well, then you're losing two ways. Your decision, live with it. Or, actually, not.

Obesity is another topic. Mea culpa, I'm no slimline myself, but as yet have avoided any related illnesses, but tomorrow, who knows.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »

As for free medical care, being in the U.S., that's the stuff of fairy tales, anyway... So I won't comment much on that. And clearly everyone does have an inkling of the damage smoking causes, though I do think you'll find certain segments of the population less informed than others. Not making excuses for them, just saying what I see.

But the point was definitely meant to expand beyond smoking (and drinking), because those kinds of policy decisions can't reasonably be expected to stay in one area when others are analogous.

There is eventually the moment when it isn't in the theoretical realm and a real sick person is in need of real medical attention or s/he will really die. Of course, in our 2012 Republican primaries, the Tea-Party inspired audience was thrilled to shout "let them die" (to much audience applause) when the question of the urgently ill person showing up at a hospital's door came up. But it seems to me that's not a legitimate choice, however unhappy at the cause of the situation I may be.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »

My stance is this: your illness is smoke/alcohol/drug related, you don't get free treatment. Your choice, your problem.

I agree. Lets extend that to people who get injured taking part in dangerous sports, and people who had unprotected sex and caught AIDS.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:32:37 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 07:58:27 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:13:11 PM by zatch » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »

As for smoking, yeah I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal. The smell makes me practically throw up coughing. I've had plenty of opportunity to try it, but it never remotely interested me. Besides, I can't afford it!

Yeah, I've also been offered them many times and could probably bum piles upon piles of cigarettes off of friends if I wanted to. I don't get the appeal either really. Like Hypehat said, you're practically burning your money.  Plus, there's really no benefit - other than lookin' cool, man.
And, really, the only people who need cigarettes are the people who already smoke. How's that for some Catch 22-like logic.
Jason
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »

Why should anyone receive free medical care? Why can't they pay for it themselves?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »

Why should anyone receive free medical care? Why can't they pay for it themselves?

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as free medical. Anywhere.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: