gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:07:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127990 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: May 31, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »

Man, Mike Love just can't get  a break. He gets  a well deserved award, brings in JF, makes happy with Al and David (even playing a gig(s), and Rolling Stone puts this up today:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/son-of-a-beach-peter-matthew-bauer-on-kevin-loves-kokomo-problem-20140530

I am no ML lover but this really is OLD news.

Well at least Mike Love can take solace in the fact that this BB fan stopped paying attention to the NBA a few years after the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era, so I don't know what the hell this writer is taking about. And those old Mike quotes are hilarious. Those are the fun quotes. If Mike always gave interviews that read like that, that would be awesome.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 31, 2014, 12:39:47 AM »

Man, Mike Love just can't get  a break. He gets  a well deserved award, brings in JF, makes happy with Al and David (even playing a gig(s), and Rolling Stone puts this up today:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/son-of-a-beach-peter-matthew-bauer-on-kevin-loves-kokomo-problem-20140530

Well at least Mike Love can take solace in the fact that this BB fan stopped paying attention to the NBA a few years after the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era, so I don't know what the hell this writer is taking about. And those old Mike quotes are hilarious. Those are the fun quotes. If Mike always gave interviews that read like that, that would be awesome.
"It was only recently brought to my attention that Kevin is, in fact, the nephew of #1 rock & roll villain Mike Love of the Beach Boys!"

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 31, 2014, 06:50:28 AM »

Man, Mike Love just can't get  a break. He gets  a well deserved award, brings in JF, makes happy with Al and David (even playing a gig(s), and Rolling Stone puts this up today:

Well at least Mike Love can take solace in the fact that this BB fan stopped paying attention to the NBA a few years after the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era, so I don't know what the hell this writer is taking about. 

You may want to give it another try. While there were some ugly years from the mid 90s through the mid 00s, it's a fantastic league again. This from the guy whose team is most likely about to trade Mike Love's nephew within the next month.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 31, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »

Man, Mike Love just can't get  a break. He gets  a well deserved award, brings in JF, makes happy with Al and David (even playing a gig(s), and Rolling Stone puts this up today:

"It was only recently brought to my attention that Kevin is, in fact, the nephew of #1 rock & roll villain Mike Love of the Beach Boys!"

Well he is rocks number 1 villain

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 31, 2014, 08:41:22 AM »

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:43:08 AM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 31, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

Here we go again. Mike is only rock's #1 villain to the cult of Brian Wilson. For everyone else, they either don't care, don't know much about him, or think of him as that jerky guy who gave the Rock HOF speech and does that corny stage schtick. How can he be the #1 rock villain in a profession where there are more controversial and widely known figures?   

I'm not sure why Rolling Stone mag gave that guy a platform as basketball writer. He's not writing about basketball. It's gratuitous Mike bashing where it doesn't belong. Kevin Love is his own guy. Also, since when is demanding a trade exactly an uncommon behavior in professional sports? I don't think Kevin deserves a public bullying for the alleged sins of his uncle, delivered by a writer that doesn't display much knowledge of sports, in spite of being given a job of sportswriter.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 31, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »

Well at least Mike Love can take solace in the fact that this BB fan stopped paying attention to the NBA a few years after the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era, so I don't know what the hell this writer is taking about. 

You may want to give it another try. While there were some ugly years from the mid 90s through the mid 00s, it's a fantastic league again. This from the guy whose team is most likely about to trade Mike Love's nephew within the next month.
You, as in the writer yeah? I was quoting  the article. The writer really missed an opportunity to make the article "fun, fun, fun".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

Does Randall have any more leads or falsettos in the show anymore? It seems they gave all of his parts to Jeff.  If Sloop John B isn't crying out for an Al Jardine lead, then I don't know what it is.
Same with WIBN
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »

Here we go again. Mike is only rock's #1 villain to the cult of Brian Wilson.

You either don't real youtube comments or the Cult of Brian is larger than the cult of L. Ron Hubbard.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »

The hatred for Mike unfortunately looms beyond the Cult of Brian Wilson. But I'd say that 90% of those who listened to at least more than one career album by the Beach Boys are ok with Mike.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 31, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »

As in, YouTube comments on Beach Boys videos? It's the same people over and over again.  Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys themselves have a world full of people who don't care about them. They're not the Beatles. I don't think Mike Love had as many people hate him as Paul McCartney did in the years following the break up of the Beatles, when John Lennon was the cool one and Paul was that idiot who had his father-in-law suing the group while he was playing silly love songs. I don't believe Mike Love is as universally reviled as Ted Nugent has been for some of his statements. He might be a Top 20 "villain" overall, but #1? Nope.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 31, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »

As in, YouTube comments on Beach Boys videos? It's the same people over and over again.  Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys themselves have a world full of people who don't care about them. They're not the Beatles. I don't think Mike Love had as many people hate him as Paul McCartney did in the years following the break up of the Beatles, when John Lennon was the cool one and Paul was that idiot who had his father-in-law suing the group while he was playing silly love songs. I don't believe Mike Love is as universally reviled as Ted Nugent has been for some of his statements. He might be a Top 20 "villain" overall, but #1? Nope.

Not too sure you are on the mark there.  The Mike Love hatred extends far more than people realize and a lot of it seems to be sadly based upon ignorance.  For example from what I've seen it's deeply entrenched in The Beatles fanbase as well as a lot of Beatles fans still resent Mike for his HOF comments and whenever anything negative comes out about him in the press, they refer back to that incident.  In a lot of cases from what I've seen when it comes to Mike Love unfortunately many have a "Oh no not him again/What is it this time?" view when it comes to him which is probably why I've heard many fans from different fanbases say "I don't know all that much about The Beach Boys but I know Mike Love is a (insert derogatory term)"

Edit: Just another recollection: Around a year or so ago I was on a MLB forum where people were discussing Brian Wilson (pitcher) and the conversation then suddenly turned to Brian Wilson (Beach Boy).  Suddenly a forum member piped in with some warm words for Brian Wilson (Beach Boy) before putting down Mike Love and referencing the HOF speech. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:14:43 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 31, 2014, 03:07:11 PM »

Mike brings a lot of the hate on himself with his brash and blunt public persona.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 31, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »

It's things like that Rolling Stone article vilifying Kevin Love mainly for being related to Mike Love that remind me that there is an element of Brian Wilson fandom that borders on Kathy Bates in "Misery." What, is that guy in the Brian Wilson Army and thinks he has to defend Brian 24/7, 365 days a year, even when assigned to writing about a completely unrelated topic? I would swear that guy asked for the job of "covering the NBA playoffs" with the express intent of counter-acting the teeny tiny bump of positive publicity Mike got from Rolling Stone basically reprinting a Beach Boy publicist blurb about Foskett rejoining the band and Al/Dave playing one single gig with Mike.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 31, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »

You, as in the writer yeah? I was quoting  the article. The writer really missed an opportunity to make the article "fun, fun, fun".

No. You, as in HeyJude. f*** the writer of the retarded article, which was a waste of everyone's time. I'm just saying that anyone who fell away from the NBA since that Magic-Bird era may want to give it another chance.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 31, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »

Mike has a long and well reported history of saying dumb things and acting like a jerk in very public forums. He has to live with the consequences of his actions and decisions. And no , it's not because of BW fans, most of whom bend over backward to acknowledge Mikes crucial role in the band he cofounded.
Nicko1234
« Reply #466 on: May 31, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »

Mike has a long and well reported history of saying dumb things and acting like a jerk in very public forums. He has to live with the consequences of his actions and decisions. And no , it's not because of BW fans, most of whom bend over backward to acknowledge Mikes crucial role in the band he cofounded.

LOL

Yeah, they are always gushing in their praise of Mike. I believe that when Ambha Love had to go to school with a security guard because she had received death threats it was due to BW fans and their devout wish that his crucial role in the band should be acknowledged. (oops, I guess I used sarcasm again)

I have to love the fact that any professional writer could use the words: `I'd like to leave you now with a few quotes from Mike Love that I found on the Internet.`

That`s what being a journalist is about in 2014 I guess.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 31, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »

To blame BW fans for death threats isn't right IMO.  anybody who threatens BBs family members is a psycho first, BBs fan second.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 31, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »

In any case, what does Mike Love have to do with Kevin Love? He didn't raise him, Stan did.  And I don't see what's so bad about looking to be traded in the world of professional sports, when he only has one year left on his contract. The Timberwolves will come out ahead if they can get something for him, before he becomes a free agent before the end of next season. I have a hard time believing he only found out about Kevin Love being related to Mike "just recently," too.
Nicko1234
« Reply #469 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »

To blame BW fans for death threats isn't right IMO.  anybody who threatens BBs family members is a psycho first, BBs fan second.

Well obviously not every fan is going to behave like that but unfortunately it wasn`t an entirely isolated incident. I`ve no idea if it still exists but I remember looking at the Mike Love Fan Club board many years ago and seeing death threats towards fans there as well. Not just from one poster either...

The message board on Brian`s website seems to have half-died now but when it was busy I think it`s fair to say that it wasn`t full of people acknowledging Mike`s crucial role in the band. While some of this is undoubtedly down to Mike`s errors, some of it has also been constructed by others and the BW fans have been played over the years. (Not just in their feelings towards Mike but also their feelings towards Al. During the early years of Brian`s solo work I can remember reading the hate towards Al which miraculously disappeared when it was announced that they were going to work together again)

Ironic that this article should appear now (maybe coincidental, maybe not), as Jeff touring with Mike has undoubtedly taken away some of the Mike-haters weaponry.  Smiley
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 31, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »

Phil Spector killed a woman. Lostprophets singer was a pedophile.  Badfinger's manager drove Pete Ham to suicide. Don Arden sicced his dogs on his pregnant daughter and caused her to have a miscarriage.  Sid Vicious killed his girlfriend. Mike Love is not even the number 1 villain connected to the Beach Boys, that is either Charles Manson or Eugene Landy.

Mike is kinda sorta a dick, but so what?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:10:51 PM by Kurosawa » Logged

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 31, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »

Yeah... I dont' understand it, I guess it takes all types of people to make this big ol' world go around... but in my mind, things like The Bill O'Reilly tirade that he mentioned is one of the only things I've even seen Bill O'Reilly do that I LIKED.... when Mike freaked out at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, that's probably the absolute, hands down best thing I've ever seen Mike Love do.  It's strange to me how that kind of stuff makes some people hate him, it's the exact same reason I LOVE him! 

I always love people like this loser (who I've never heard of, btw... and I've given Mike Love my money... so that tells you who's winning the argument between the two of them)... I love it when people like this read something, then spout it out like it's the gospel.  So Mike is a lousy leader.  Mike's contemporaries have mostly died; literally.  He's been being THE MAN for 50 plus years, certainly that's worth something.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 31, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »

Phil Spector killed a woman. Lostprophets singer was a pedophile.  Badfinger's manager drove Pete Ham to suicide. Don Arden sicced his dogs on his pregnant daughter and caused her to have a miscarriage.  Sid Vicious killed his girlfriend. Mike Love is not even the number 1 villain connected to the Beach Boys, that is either Charles Manson or Eugene Landy.

Mike is kinda sorta a dick, but so what?

Bigger Villians that immediately spring to mind for me, are people who.. you know.. .actually HARMED somebody, like the ones you mentioned.  Mike ran his mouth a little bit but hasn't hurt anybody who wasn't psychologically fragile to begin with, and even that's overstated.  I mean, how about Ike Turner beating Tina Turner's ass every day for 10 years?  I'm a little pissed about that.

How about Chris Brown beating Rihannas face against a car window for 15 minutes while they drove home from the grammies?  I'm still a little pissed about that.  Or hey, how about Kurt Cobain Cobaining himself and leaving his daughter alone with a psychopath for the next 15 years of her life?  I'm still a little pissed about that, too. 

If somebody wants to tell me that Mike Love hurt Brian's feelings... um....  well.  Who gives a sh*t?
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 01, 2014, 12:22:36 AM »

Here we go again. Mike is only rock's #1 villain to the cult of Brian Wilson. For everyone else, they either don't care, don't know much about him, or think of him as that jerky guy who gave the Rock HOF speech and does that corny stage schtick. How can he be the #1 rock villain in a profession where there are more controversial and widely known figures?   

I'm not sure why Rolling Stone mag gave that guy a platform as basketball writer. He's not writing about basketball. It's gratuitous Mike bashing where it doesn't belong. Kevin Love is his own guy. Also, since when is demanding a trade exactly an uncommon behavior in professional sports? I don't think Kevin deserves a public bullying for the alleged sins of his uncle, delivered by a writer that doesn't display much knowledge of sports, in spite of being given a job of sportswriter.

Or ........ they think he's awesome!

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 01, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »

Here we go again. Mike is only rock's #1 villain to the cult of Brian Wilson.

You either don't real youtube comments or the Cult of Brian is larger than the cult of L. Ron Hubbard.

It's knuckle dragger time in basically any YouTube comment section.....
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx