gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:39:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127970 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2014, 11:06:05 PM »

OK, we are back on topic. We have a new BB band and the promise of at least one show with ABB. The Professor doubles down:  Al and Dave will not play with BW but rather will do more shows with the BB--a prediction, neither knowledge nor rumor. Capital will start talking with the band , and a new album, without JT but made by all the BB, including Brian, will come out in 2016, containing some Love-Jardine authored songs and Love-Wilson as well; it will NOT be a anniversary of PS related album. I will stand corrected if none of this happens by New Year's Eve 2016.

I'll be as astonished if A&D don't play a few more shows with M&B as I will be if there's a new, full-on BB album at any time in the future.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2014, 11:18:24 PM »

I'll be as astonished if A&D don't play a few more shows with M&B as I will be if there's a new, full-on BB album at any time in the future.

I'll be very surprised if the first doesn't happen, and absolutely amazed (as would Paul McCartney) if the second doesn't ultimately occur.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 25, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »

An album with love-Jardine songs sounds terrible. Brian writing with Mike is already bad enough since Mike's creativity is dried up.

Imagine what sorts of songs Mike and Brian could write if they just decided to write about what they really cared about. The songs would be a mix of songs about food, Shortnin' Bread covers, and songs about TM. It would be completely insane and either brilliant or terrible.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 26, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »

agreed. I'll put two tacos at burrito jr on PCH near Avenue A on it. I would not risk a full meal at old Tony's on the pier!I guess what is so strange is that all of the Beach Boys are in play now, that is years ago we did not even have the question of al and Dave playing with the Beach Boys but now they are going to, at least for that one show. Look, the whole thing is so confusing to all of us. My hope is something so simple, that all the surviving Beach Boys can make music together and be happy and show us their creative and performative best. That is all that I really hope for.

uote author=OregonRiverRider link=topic=17604.msg451904#msg451904 date=1401057975]
OK, we are back on topic. We have a new BB band and the promise of at least one show with ABB. The Professor doubles down:  Al and Dave will not play with BW but rather will do more shows with the BB--a prediction, neither knowledge nor rumor. Capital will start talking with the band , and a new album, without JT but made by all the BB, including Brian, will come out in 2016, containing some Love-Jardine authored songs and Love-Wilson as well; it will NOT be a anniversary of PS related album. I will stand corrected if none of this happens by New Year's Eve 2016.

Professor, I take that bet. With Al's son in Brian's band, and Al & David still recoding with Brian, I can easily see more BAD shows.

Let us say, loser buys dinner next time I come down to Redondo?
[/quote]

Old Tony's: my favorite restaurant anywhere Smiley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 26, 2014, 12:21:44 AM »

agreed. I'll put two tacos at burrito jr on PCH near Avenue A on it. I would not risk a full meal at old Tony's on the pier!I guess what is so strange is that all of the Beach Boys are in play now, that is years ago we did not even have the question of al and Dave playing with the Beach Boys but now they are going to, at least for that one show. Look, the whole thing is so confusing to all of us. My hope is something so simple, that all the surviving Beach Boys can make music together and be happy and show us their creative and performative best. That is all that I really hope for.

uote author=OregonRiverRider link=topic=17604.msg451904#msg451904 date=1401057975]

Professor, I take that bet. With Al's son in Brian's band, and Al & David still recoding with Brian, I can easily see more BAD shows.

[/quote]

I agree to your terms Professor. Loser buys the other two tacos at Burrito Jr on PCH.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2014, 01:24:46 AM »

With Al's son in Brian's band, and Al & David still recoding with Brian, I can easily see more BAD shows.

I'll wager half the farm, the college fund and my mortal soul* that there will be no more BAD shows in the foreseeable future (shows with M&B along for the ride are ineligible). And as David is currently in Peru, I doubt he's recording with Brian.

[* OK, I said that for comic effect - we all know I don't have one]

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2014, 01:39:17 AM »

A few seconds of Foskett singing "Barbara Ann" with his new/old group.

http://instagram.com/p/oc42I3pGI0/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2014, 01:51:30 AM »

I'll wager half the farm, the college fund and my mortal soul* that there will be no more BAD shows in the foreseeable future (shows with M&B along for the ride are ineligible). And as David is currently in Peru, I doubt he's recording with Brian.

[* OK, I said that for comic effect - we all know I don't have one]

Depending on how you define "soul" I may even agree you actually have a "mortal soul". Grin (As opposed to an immortal one. Cheesy)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2014, 01:59:46 AM »

I agree to your terms Professor. Loser buys the other two tacos at Burrito Jr on PCH.
[/quote]

Why don't you just make the loser owe a couple burgers at THE "hamburger stand now" on Hawthorne BLVD?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 26, 2014, 02:03:38 AM »

Or the Round Table Pizza on PCH which used to be The Beach Boys Cafe?

El Burrito is tops but the lines are so damn long!
Nicko1234
« Reply #385 on: May 26, 2014, 02:36:09 AM »

Get Randell back on the falsetto parts.

Jeff`s voice sounds like nails on a blackboard to me. Harsh probably but there we are.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 26, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »

Anyone have a set from one of the shows they've done with Jeff so far?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 26, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »

Get Randell back on the falsetto parts.

Jeff`s voice sounds like nails on a blackboard to me. Harsh probably but there we are.
Randell's vocal register seems closer to Brian's, in falsetto, effortlessly. 

But, I think Jeff's is closer to Carl's.  There is still some YouTube from the 1980's, from Belgium, I think, where you can hear Jeff (a very fine singer, in his own right) on Don't Worry Baby. 

It is what you're born with.  The one with the greatest vocal register range is Mike. Amazing.  But he was born with it.  JMHO.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 26, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

Here's the setlist from last night: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2014/waterfront-park-louisville-ky-73c086ed.html

Note that it was a Beatles-themed event, hence the 3 covers.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 26, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »

Here's the setlist from last night: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2014/waterfront-park-louisville-ky-73c086ed.html

Note that it was a Beatles-themed event, hence the 3 covers.

Wonder if Mike sang Dear Prudence. That would be pretty cool.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 26, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »

Dear Prudence is another reference to Mike's time in Rishikesh with the Beatles, since Prudence was Prudence Farrow. That trip must have been the highlight of Mike's life. I'm sure it will take up a chapter or two if he ever writes a book.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 26, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »

Well....this is huge news for The Beach Boys (touring version) and I am seriously thinking of buying tickets to their tour in July.   
To a person who became a BB fan in the 80's Jeffrey IS a Beach Boy.   If Al and David book more shows with the band it would be great.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 26, 2014, 10:21:38 PM »

Mike sang Back in the USSR followed by Dear Prudence.  He also sang a new original about Guru dev - meh.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: May 27, 2014, 05:19:04 AM »

"Pisces Brothers" ?

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2014, 05:30:15 AM »

Pisces Brothers - sounds about right.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: May 27, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »

I mentioned variations on this in a previous post, but as to the question of more “BAD” shows, my theory was that adding Al and Dave (and Blondie) to shows did help Brian’s ticket sales more than Al and Dave would help sell tickets to Mike’s shows.

While we only have an indication of a couple of October Brian gigs, it appears he may end up playing mostly smaller indoor theaters and art centers and the like, rather than larger indoor theaters and outdoor amphitheaters. If that is the case, that could possibly be an indication we won’t see Al or Dave or other guests on the next tour, as Brian can more easily fill these smaller venues with his regular fan base.

On the one hand, Al being on Brian’s new album, recording with him in the last month or so, and his son joining Brian’s band, coupled with Al having played with Brian last year, would seem to point to a strong possibility of Al at least playing with Brian again this year. At the same time, in the strange world of the Beach Boys, I could totally see Matt playing Brian’s band without Al being invited along. Al certainly appears to not have a beef with Matt being independently employed even when it’s Beach Boys-related. He commented in his 2000 Goldmine interview that he was aware that Matt was still playing with Mike in 1998 after he (Al) was gone.

So, could we possibly not see actual “BAD” shows, but maybe just Al? Who knows….

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 27, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »

Isn't Matt over 40 years old? And doesn't Al have other sons he would like to spend time with?  Al may or may not tour with Brian in the future, but I doubt Matt being with Brian is that big of an influence on whether he will. I'm sure the ball is in Brian's court and whether he wants to pony up another salary for Al.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: May 27, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

On the one hand, Al being on Brian’s new album, recording with him in the last month or so, and his son joining Brian’s band, coupled with Al having played with Brian last year, would seem to point to a strong possibility of Al at least playing with Brian again this year.

Why ? You might just as well say both Alan's sons singing in California Saga indicate he'd play with them at some stage... or that Alan & David playing with Mike twice this year means they will again this summer. My guess is that the latter is far more likely than Alan joining Brian on tour.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 27, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »

So Al can record with Brian, not tour with him? Interesting.....
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 27, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »

a short few years ago I had grown accustomed to attending excellent shows by both Brian's band and Mike's band.  could those shows have been the final peak of high quality/energy Bb related shows?    I suspect so.  still, I eagerly anticipate a few good shows out of the current state of flux.    Hope I can catch just one more wave.    Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx