gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:43:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127964 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2014, 05:41:54 AM »

I agree, ToneBender631, especially how it pertains to Al Jardine. It probably won't be agreed upon here or discussed much on this board, but I think the Jeff Foskett move to The Beach Boys had to be a blow to Al's hope of regaining his place in the Beach Boys' touring band. I'll be honest, if you told me that Christian Love was going to resign from The Beach Boys, my first thought would be, "OK, now is the perfect time for Al to get back into the group..." I mean, they served the identical roles!   

Al appeared to get along with Mike and Bruce during the 50th Anniversary reunion. Al played the 70+ shows and wanted more, he wanted to continue touring. And most importantly, Al was a big enough man to respect and honor Mike by attending the recent Ella Awards Ceremony. Call me naive, but I thought Al had "done enough" to convince Mike that maybe they could co-exist again in The Beach Boys.

Now that another opportunity for Al to rejoin The Beach Boys has passed, I would imagine that Al is just trying to latch onto something/someone, and I don't say that disparagingly. I mean, the guy just wants to work! Al can sing a few lead vocals, relax Brian, sell a couple of tickets. A couple. So, yeah, I can see him touring with Brian. It would be sad if he didn't. It would kind of look like Al's being left out in the cold...again.

But whether he wanted to play 100 shows a year with the traveling jukebox is another matter entirely.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2014, 06:04:50 AM »

Ya I think there is a difference between wanting to continue the C50 as opposed to doing the Mike and Bruce touring schedule. I believe Al has been quoted that he is in favor of periodic touring every few years, not the 150 plus every year. He was tired of that by the late 90s if I recall.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2014, 06:33:40 AM »

Maybe Jeff just wanted a change. People get tired of things and want to do something different.

If I wanted a change and was going to do something different, it wouldn't be playing & singing the same songs that I've been playing & singing for thirty + years with a slightly different group of people that I've already played & sung them with for a great number of those years. The only reason I'd leave a gig like that (playing the music I treasure more than just about anyting else - this is me talking, but I know it applies to Jeff as well) would be to focus on doing my own music (like when Daryl Dragon, Phillip Bardowell, and now Christian Love all left their BBs gigs).

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »

Nicko1234 and tpesky, I agree with you. The number of shows would be a POTENTIAL obstacle for Al. And, yes, tpesky, I remember reading that statement from Al regarding touring every few years - which I immediately dismissed. Grin

The reasons I didn't take Al's 2012 statement too seriously are these. First, the C50 Beach Boys played 70+ shows and Al wanted more. How many more? Maybe 20-30 more until the end of the year? It would've been pushing 90-100 shows total. Al was OK with that. And, Nicko, not that I'm disagreeing with you, I'm not, but do Mike & Bruce play 100 shows a year? I ask because I'm not sure. Is it really that many, and how much longer will they be playing 100 shows a year? I just think Al not only woulda/coulda handled it, but woulda said "yes". See reason 2. Wink

Second, as a long-time Beach Boys' diehard, this is my honest opinion. If Mike Love would've picked up the telephone, or gone out to dinner with Al, and Mike would've asked Al, "Hey Al, my son Christian is going to be leaving the band to pursue some solo work. It's something he's been thinking about for a long time now. He's not getting any younger and he thinks that now is the time to go for it. We had such a good time with the reunion tour, the fans loved it...and Bruce and I would like to have you join us again in The Beach Boys. What'd you think..."

I think Al would've said "yes".
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »

It`s interesting that only at the ELLA awards Mike thanked Jeff for being Brian`s `care giver` for the past 16 years. So this is certainly a curious turn of events.

Good point. I could see Jeff getting tired of being Brian's caregiver if he felt underappreciated and underpaid. Foskett was not just another supporting musician to Brian, and that had to be a stressful job.

I'd be Brian's caregiver for free. Jeff had the best job ever. Poor guy.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Nicko1234
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »

The reasons I didn't take Al's 2012 statement too seriously are these. First, the C50 Beach Boys played 70+ shows and Al wanted more. How many more? Maybe 20-30 more until the end of the year? It would've been pushing 90-100 shows total. Al was OK with that. And, Nicko, not that I'm disagreeing with you, I'm not, but do Mike & Bruce play 100 shows a year? I ask because I'm not sure. Is it really that many, and how much longer will they be playing 100 shows a year? I just think Al not only woulda/coulda handled it, but woulda said "yes". See reason 2. Wink

No, they play more than 100.  Wink AGD posted some stats a while ago which showed that the 84 Beach Boys shows in 2012 is comfortably the lowest number the band has played since 1999 (159 being the highest number during that period).

Second, as a long-time Beach Boys' diehard, this is my honest opinion. If Mike Love would've picked up the telephone, or gone out to dinner with Al, and Mike would've asked Al, "Hey Al, my son Christian is going to be leaving the band to pursue some solo work. It's something he's been thinking about for a long time now. He's not getting any younger and he thinks that now is the time to go for it. We had such a good time with the reunion tour, the fans loved it...and Bruce and I would like to have you join us again in The Beach Boys. What'd you think..."

I think Al would've said "yes".

Maybe. But that would have meant ripping up the whole agreement that Mike has with Brother (or Al accepting just being a salaried employee). And as Al had such a problem with just playing the hits for years (even when Carl was in the band), I think it`s unlikely he and Mike could have toured together without ever having a problem. Especially as Mike`s stripped back style of touring is a world away from the C50 tour.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2014, 08:45:14 AM »

Al belongs on stage with Brian. Especially now that Matt is joining the fold again.

Jeff has been good for Brian in so many ways, but he obviously wanted a change. Brian will be just fine without him.

Things are looking good in Beach Boy country. I look forward to what the future holds for us all!
Nicko1234
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »

I`ve no idea whether Al will perform with Brian this year but it is odd that the very day of Al`s appearance with Mike and Bruce coincides with Brian`s only concerts of the summer. Slightly bizarre to have a father and son singing the same songs on the same day on different continents.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »

The whole thing is interesting. First the Beach Boys tour, then Brian, Al, David and Blondie together, now Al and David joining Mike (for a show), Matt joining brian and Jeff Foskett touring with Mike.

So, as before, the only problems seem to be between Mike and Brian, or probably between the wifes.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2014, 10:04:28 AM »

Wasn't Jeff the musical director for Brian's band? I looked at some interviews and that did seem to be his title, at least at some point.  I also found a quote from Al Jardine during the reunion tour about all the roles that Jeff filled for Brian and that it would be "difficult" for Brian to tour without Jeff being there. So, it will be interesting to see how Brian and his band handles it and how the performances proceed without Jeff. Were there any dates that Jeff missed on Brian's tours? I know other guys did miss dates or tours. I also suppose Brian has capable people to handle musical director duties on tour. I don't think it's a matter of skills as much as having the patience to do the little and big things that Jeff did in that role, such as organizing rehearsals.

Paul Mertens is and has been Brian's musical director for quite some time now, at least since the 2012 Beach Boys tour (where he shared the title with Scott Totten).  But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a performance clip of Brian in the past decade in which Jeff isn't present.

Mertens has been musical director since at least the BWRG sessions and accompanying tour. So since 2010 or so. Darian has also served in the role. 
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »

I was under the impression that having Al and Dave join Brian's band for the Beck tour was at least partly a publicity move to prove they were right in the C50 PR battle. Now that Al and Dave are joining Mike for at least one gig, and appeared with him at the Ella Awards as well, that value has been negated. Therefore, they will not be back with Brian again. It's better for Brian's image, as well, to be the sole star of the show, since his biopic is being released in the fall (supposedly). They can save money by not having Al, especially, on the payroll. I don't think Brian or his people have any particular attachment to Al or they wouldn't have parted ways with him the way they did in his previous brief stint with Brian's band. I would suspect Dave would be more likely to return due to his not having a steady gig and needing the money more than Al. The fact that Brian didn't invite Dave to go on the European dates seems to indicate he may not care or want Dave back. Dave no doubt works for less money than Al.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:19:49 AM by KittyKat » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »

The elephant in the room, of course…

Our heroes aren't youngsters.

I kinda wished this had all been sorted out 20 years ago, cos whatever combos go on the road now have a limited amount of time.

Wish is why I wish they'd just get the gang back together, roll down their windows and ride, and have one last party 'fore the school bell tolls…

I know, that was cheesy… but I mean it.

“We live in divisive times.”
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

I get the impression that BW's management team thinks he deserves to be treated like a superstar and everyone else is on a different level (below).  I remember reading ( I have no idea if it was accurate or not), that when Al toured with Brian for a number of dates, he wasn't paid, like Al was lucky to be on the same stage.  Brian Wilson is a legend but not a current star.  His records don't sell and his concerts don't sell out.  If he had the opportunity to have Al with him on the road, he should jump at that chance.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »

Al shouldn't have to feel lucky to be up there on stage with Brian (or Mike for that matter). He helped make those songs famous all those years ago the same as they did and should be up there singing with them. As others have mentioned, time is running out.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

Of the Beach Boys who are still with us, Al is my favorite. He seems friendly, down to earth, has the strongest voice (imo) and seems to really be into playing a nice variety of songs with hits and rarities.

I have no idea if Brian will have Al and David with him on the mentioned fall tour but I hope so. At least Brian can take a vocal rest by giving them both leads and Al at least attempts to make small talk in between songs. Al's got the voice and David can play the guitar. I personally think it will be a weaker show without them.

I agree with the others that it would have been great to see Al and even David with Mike and Bruce but I don't think either of them want to do that number of shows every year. Plus Al would probably get tired to that set list rather quick. I do hope that they will do more appearances with Mike and Bruce in the future because I'd love to catch one of those shows.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »

Of course what I really want to know is will Jeff still do his trade-mark line with the Lovester?

"The GREAT...."
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »

For those who say Al would get tired playing the hits with Mike and Bruce, they play deep cuts too. And Brian in recent years has played the hits probably as much as Mike and Bruce (as previously discussed on this board), and in the process his shows have maybe lost some of their appeal.  Hopefully Brian's band will have some interesting choices up their sleeves circa the early 2000s.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »

It would kind of look like Al's being left out in the cold...again.

Maybe there's a reason why that keeps happening.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »

Maybe Jeff just wanted a change. People get tired of things and want to do something different.

If I wanted a change and was going to do something different, it wouldn't be playing & singing the same songs that I've been playing & singing for thirty + years with a slightly different group of people that I've already played & sung them with for a great number of those years. The only reason I'd leave a gig like that (playing the music I treasure more than just about anyting else - this is me talking, but I know it applies to Jeff as well) would be to focus on doing my own music (like when Daryl Dragon, Phillip Bardowell, and now Christian Love all left their BBs gigs).

Maybe the change in personnel and responsibilities is the change he wanted and not the music.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »

I'd be Brian's caregiver for free. Jeff had the best job ever. Poor guy.

Hopefully you're joking.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »

So will Adrian Baker be joining Al's band? Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »

It would kind of look like Al's being left out in the cold...again.

Maybe there's a reason why that keeps happening.

He doesn't exactly come across as the life of the party

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2014, 05:34:14 PM »

Al has a great voice, but I doubt most people know who he is ... and he simply didn't sing lead on very many big hits. Mike is the voice, Brian is the damaged genius, and the BBs is the brand. Most people are interested in the brand, a smaller group is interested in the Brian and his story. Few are interested in Al alone, which means that he has almost no leverage in a touring situation. It's too bad, but that's the way it is.

Now that the behind-the-scenes wrangling seems to be over, with everyone returning pretty much where they've been for the last 15 years or so, I can't imagine Al (or Dave) will be permanently added to any ensemble. We're into everyone's last 5-10 years of touring (at most), and Brian is clearly slowing down. No one's in the mood to make big changes unless it means the full band is back together, and that's not happening until the Pet Sounds 50th shows ....
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »

I'm too lazy to search for the post of people that Brian has had a falling out with, of sorts. I don't remember VDP being on that poster's list. Am I right, he should be?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »

I'm too lazy to search for the post of people that Brian has had a falling out with, of sorts. I don't remember VDP being on that poster's list. Am I right, he should be?

Yep. Van Dyke has quite a few passive aggressive digs at Brian sprinkled into his Twitter feed. Today, he seemed to imply that he, Van Dyke may have had a hand in the musical part of "Smile," not just the lyrics. I'm not sure he meant his musical style "inspired" Brian or he actually wrote some of the music, but it was interesting.  I'm not sure I've ever seen him claim that before.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx