gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:44:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Beach Boys Play Tour - Jeff replaces Christian Love  (Read 127966 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »

Well that's how I imagine it:

Riiiing!
Jeff: Hello?
Mike: Hey Jeff, is Mike!
Jeff: Dr.Love! How are you?
Mike: all good, all good! Listen, my son Christian is leaving the band soon. Jackie and I were wondering if you were interested on taking his place?
Jeff: Oh wow, I'd be honored.  But you know, I'm with Brian and.. I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do..
Mike: We tour 200 days per year. It would pay xxxxx$ per year.
Jeff: emh.. let me call Melinda and discuss it ok?
Mike: Ok. I'm going to the beach with my babe now.  Good vibes to you

Riiiing!
Melinda: Hello?
Jeff: Hi Melinda, it's Jeff!
Melinda: Hey Jeffy! Always good to hear from you!
Jeff: Listen.. Mike offered me a permanent place in his touring band.  It pays well. How would you feel if I took the job?
Melinda: well Jeffrey, it's your choice
Jeff: I could still play those few gigs with Brian in the fall, I can ask Mike to replace me
Jeff: Thank you for understanding Melinda! No hard feelings then?
Melida: It's just business Jeffrey
Jeff: Will you tell Brian?
Melinda: Yes. Goodbye Jeffrey, farewell

Melinda: umh.. I need to remember to tell this to Bri..  hey look a new dog! I forgot we bought this one too

And that's how Jeff got the job and Brian never got to hear about it.
Very simple.

All kidding aside, that Brian didn't know his right-hand man have moved across town until a friend called him and told him yesterday is just mindblowing. And not in a good way.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2014, 11:57:15 AM »

No one to feel bad for. By all accounts from the inside Brian is happy. Mike is happy. Jeff is happy. Matt is happy.

This is me, moving on.....

3D
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »

Riiiing!
Mike: all good, all good! Listen, my son Christian is leaving the band soon. Jackie and I were wondering if you were interested on taking his place?
Jeff: Oh wow, I'd be honored.  But you know, I'm with Brian and.. I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do..

Riiiing!
Jeff: Listen.. Mike offered me a permanent place in his touring band.  It pays well. How would you feel if I took the job?
Jeff: I could still play those few gigs with Brian in the fall, I can ask Mike to replace me

Melinda: umh.. I need to remember to tell this to Bri..  hey look a new dog! I forgot we bought this one too

Very simple.

All kidding aside, that Brian didn't know his right-hand man have moved across town until a friend called him and told him yesterday is just mindblowing. And not in a good way.
Why? He knew for months that Jeff left. He already hired Matt. If Mike just made it official this week, I can understand Brian not knowing until yesterday.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2014, 12:05:42 PM »

With Jeff leaving how will Brian's band know when a song finishes without Jeff there to put his hand up? Roll Eyes

Another thing, I think Jeff did a great job for Brian over the years and it's good to see him now being praised a bit and people saying he'll do a good job for the Beach Boys band, as he's been knocked here over the years.

I'm sure they will all benefit from these changes, helps to freshen it up and I'm sure Brian's tour might have some interesting surprises lined up for the fall tour.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »

Riiiing!

Riiiing!

Very simple.

You'd think Brian would have been one of the first to know about it.  Assuming that Jeff parted on good terms and it wasn't a secret as everyone has pretty much insinuated.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »

Why all the concern about Jeff going with M&B? Brian has been happy to take his cut of the touring income they provide and endorses what they do. As he has said..."Its all good."

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2014, 12:26:19 PM »

This discussion is geting mired down. Let Brian and Jeff simply be the independent men that thay are and respect the decision.  The larger question, I still maintain, is what does this mean for the future of the BB as a touring band and as recording artists.  The only telos that means anything to me is a new album with as many BB as possible; how many BB does it take to make it a BB album? What are the chances now that all 5 will make an album together? All except Brian? Would that  "be" a BB record?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:27:12 PM by the professor » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »

If they made an album without BW it would be a very shitty one.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »

Riiiing!

Riiiing!

Very simple.

Why? He knew for months that Jeff left. He already hired Matt. If Mike just made it official this week, I can understand Brian not knowing until yesterday.

It's one thing to leave a band because you wanted a change; it happens all the time. It's a much more meaningful change when you leave Brian Wilson's band to join Mike Love's band. And, it's even more meaningful (head scratching?) when you don't even notify Brian about that change. I still find that part stunning.

It's interesting...When Mike Love wanted to wrap up the 50th Reunion tour to go back to his previous touring arrangement, you know, to play substantially more dates at WalMarts and water parks, to play those moldy oldie-driven sets, to play in a stripped-type unit instead of the more artistically fulfilling Brian Wilson-type band, Mike Love was - and still is - criticized for that decision. Now, Jeff Foskett leaves the superior (in many fans' opinions on this board) Brian Wilson band to join that traveling jukebox (in many fans' opinions on this board), those same fans are "understanding" of Jeff's choice. Hmmmm. Huh Shocked
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »

There is some kind of PR machination, to me, that the official press release notification of both Jeff joining the Beach Boys and Al/Dave joining the band were done on the same day. That Brian didn't know about it until the day of the press release may be part of the strategy. If people around Brian wanted to protect his feelings by not letting him know in advance of the Rolling Stone article, that doesn't seem like a good thing, to me, either. I also don't think he wrote that statement on his message board, or it would have been posted as "Brian Wilson," not "Admin."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »

This discussion is geting mired down. Let Brian and Jeff simply be the independent men that thay are and respect the decision.  The larger question, I still maintain, is what does this mean for the future of the BB as a touring band and as recording artists.  The only telos that means anything to me is a new album with as many BB as possible; how many BB does it take to make it a BB album? What are the chances now that all 5 will make an album together? All except Brian? Would that  "be" a BB record?

Mike licenses the BB name for touring purposes only, so what it would take for a new BB album would be Brian, Mike, and Al (and perhaps still Carl’s estate) to agree on whatever that album is.

Realistically, at this stage, I doubt we’ll see another Beach Boys album of new material unless all the guys get together again. Even if Al and David joined Mike’s band full-time, I doubt we would see another BB album without Brian’s participation, and it for sure couldn’t happen without his approval whether he wanted to participate or not.

I’m curious, if we don’t see more reunion activities, would Al and Mike’s “creative” collaboration appear on each other’s solo work? Al was asked about doing another solo album not too long ago, and he seemed kind of “meh” about it (although that was predicated more on being enthusiastic about more reunion activity), and it took him until 2010 to get one album out when he was seemingly enthusiastic about it. Since Mike hasn’t seemed motivated enough to put a full album out, and Al takes forever, I’m not sure when or if we’d ever see or hear their collaboration together unless another BB album happens. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »

That album was called 'Summer In Paradise'.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

Riiiing!

Riiiing!

Very simple.

It's one thing to leave a band because you wanted a change; it happens all the time. It's a much more meaningful change when you leave Brian Wilson's band to join Mike Love's band. And, it's even more meaningful (head scratching?) when you don't even notify Brian about that change. I still find that part stunning.

It's interesting...When Mike Love wanted to wrap up the 50th Reunion tour to go back to his previous touring arrangement, you know, to play substantially more dates at WalMarts and water parks, to play those moldy oldie-driven sets, to play in a stripped-type unit instead of the more artistically fulfilling Brian Wilson-type band, Mike Love was - and still is - criticized for that decision. Now, Jeff Foskett leaves the superior (in many fans' opinions on this board) Brian Wilson band to join that traveling jukebox (in many fans' opinions on this board), those same fans are "understanding" of Jeff's choice. Hmmmm. Huh Shocked
My understanding is that Jeff made his intentions to leave very clear; end of the BW/JB Tour. If Mike just hired Jeff, why would Brian know sooner than Jeff. I know that we don't know the whole story, but if all just happened recently, I can understand Brian not knowing and Jeff not telling Brian, as he already left the band back in November-December.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »

There's probably a lot we don't know about this that will eventually come out.  My guess is these changes were made quite some time ago.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »

There's probably a lot we don't know about this that will eventually come out.  My guess is these changes were made quite some time ago.   
Yes, but you know how it goes. You cannot say anything until everything is made official.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57:25 PM »

Mike and Al are double teaming Brian to get back into the Beach Boys, at least as a studio entity. Jeff is just an add-on to the strategy.

Or not.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »

Now the discussion is really mired down.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »

That album was called 'Summer In Paradise'.
  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »

I've been critical of Foskett's vocal role in the last albums. Also of his  (alas much-needed) role on stage.
However, I've mellowed lately... Specially since the Ella awards. The guy is an extremely proficient singer, he covers a wide range, keeps an impressive falsetto which is unusual for his age, is a skilled guitarist, and has proven to be devoted to his work and a true gentleman. I wish him well as he deserves it.

He will add much to Mike's band, not to diminish Christian- a really fine singer with a style of his own and a humble presence on stage. And, notwithstanding the number of dates, I'm sure his work won't be as nerve-wrecking as his former job probably was.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:47:19 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »

Mike and Al are double teaming Brian to get back into the Beach Boys, at least as a studio entity. Jeff is just an add-on to the strategy.

Or not.

Not.

Brian needs a service animal. So many people (with a wide variety of disabilities) have those now. He could have a dog on stage to cue him on vocals when necessary.

Even as a joke, that is a very mean-spirited statement. Now would be a fair juncture to remind you, and all other posters, that the people we're talking about/pulling apart are reading these boards, and that the internet is not exempt from the laws of libel.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:21:44 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »

Maybe we could get service animals for some on this board to cue them when a thread is ridiculous...
"what if Dennis was reincarnated as a cat"? is a good example...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »

How is it libel to say that Brian is disabled? Because he is. Sorry if my unfunny joke was in bad taste, but it's not libel. BTW, lots of people in America with anxiety issues do have service dogs to keep them calm in social situations.  They take them to work, into stores, and every where else.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »

I've been critical of Foskett's vocal role in the last albums. Also of his  (alas much-needed) role on stage.
However, I've mellowed lately... Specially since the Ella awards. The guy is an extremely proficient singer, he covers a wide range, keeps an impressive falsetto which is unusual for his age, is a skilled guitarist, and has proven to be devoted to his work and a true gentleman. I wish him well as he deserves it.

He will add much to Mike's band, not to diminish Christian- a really fine singer with a style of his own and a humble presence on stage. And, notwithstanding the number of dates, I'm sure his work won't be as nerve-wrecking as his former job probably was.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »

I suspect that the answers may be very simple. What if Jeff decided to make a change, was available, Christian Love also decided to make a change and Jeff was hired. If Jeff had called Brian to make him aware that he was joining M&B's group, well, I think it would sound a bit... I don't know the word in English... unnecessary, as if he had unresolved  issues with his former employer. And all these months no one told Brian in fear that it would make him sad in the middle of recording sessions that are already taking way too long.

So, it's not that unthinkable that:

1. Jeff left BW's organization with Brian's blessing, before he was invited to join M&B
2. Brian didn't know he would be joining M&B till now.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx