-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 177169 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »

Reading alexander palace board, I began to get annoyed by users continuing replies with "However, ..." when they could say "Nevertheless, ...", usual easy "But, ...", "That being said, ...", "Still, ...", "(&) Yet, ..." etc. It wouldn't differ.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 05, 2018, 07:11:03 AM »

People who like seeing sports games don't make sense. What's especially interesting/ riveting about chaps running to catch ball or puck? It's really bizarre. To me, apathetic to it 200%, it's mind-boggling beyond. Esp. eccentric that there's women fans. What's the thinking process behind women getting to like it? I frankly can't fathom.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 05, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »

Re sports. Down here, (American) Football is king. Very important to women as well as men.
For our Professional team (the Saints), churches on Sunday are filled with men, women, and children wearing Saints jerseys, or if not , at least wearing the team colors , black and gold.
Perhaps because the team is called the Saints. Perhaps the Raiders might not have as many in their churches lol.
I'm not the rabid fan that I used to be. My sister and I actually got our picture in an issue of National Geographic in the early 1970s.But I haven't been to a professional football game in over 40 years. The prices are too high, am afraid to sit in the "nosebleed" section, and don't want to deal with having my belongings checked at the entrance. Plus it's just more comfortable to watch the games at home. Finally , I rarely get to watch the whole game because of taking care of my Mother.
My favorite sport to watch in person is Baseball. I like to score the games - you can get a scorecard and I used to have a scorecard I made up on Excel. Why I love the game - it's the history. Love hearing old guys arguing over players who played 50 or more years ago.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 05, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »

Well. It doesn't yet answer the question, in encompassing way. It brings instead next questions - why is it "king"? Why it's "very important"? Why the liking to score the game? What's interesting about doing it? Etc.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 05, 2018, 05:58:13 PM »

I can't answer "why", that's just how the culture is here.
There are others who go crazy watching racing cars go around and around a track, sometimes for a total of 1000 km.
Up in the far north, it's ice hockey.

I use a scorecard - to mark how well a player did in a game. Statistics are very important in baseball.Records have been kept on teams since the 19th century. Again, I like watching baseball in person in hopes of talking to old timers, or guys who are obsessed with statistics. Were  Honus Wagner, Christy Matthewson, Babe Ruth and others who played 90-100 years ago really good? I love the history, the culture, around it.
I also like baseball for the reason a lot of younger people hate it - it doesn't have a time clock. There was recently a championship game played that started around 2000 hours and didn't end until around 0330 the next morning.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 05, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »

It's safe to say that whilst there's people interested in sports games in America & world, there's people like I who don't care AT ALL. Thus, I don't accept the culture angle of the answer. It can't be black & white.
Yes, I get it, records kept, statistics very important. You mean to say you do it mechanically, there isn't genuine interest in it whatsoever? It makes sense to like talking with old-timers. But it's really puzzling to read you like scoring game due to stats being very important. It strikes as really eccentric. Why care doing it? To me, you see, it's not big deal. If I did like sports games, I wouldn't care about scores.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:28:58 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 05, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »

I like statistics. It's fun, it's trivial, it gets me away from the craziness of the world.
I know lots of people who don't care for sports. When our team was in the Super Bowl (the football championship) the little choir I was in had rehearsal as usual. (I "played hooky" that night. When would our team be in the Super Bowl again?)
As I stated earlier I'm not anywhere as big of a fan as I used to be. For example, yesterday, I wasn't able to go to my morning religious service due to a semi emergency with my Mother. The only other services available were during the big football game. Well, I went to the religious  service and thus missed the last part of the football game. So football isn't that important to me. Other things take precedence.

The good thing about football in my city is that it is a great unifier. No matter your race, gender, age, political affiliation etc, when the team does well it makes people happy. When they lose, it's "better luck next week!"
Another good thing about sports - it helped get rid of the segregation laws in my city. Some professional football teams would play exhibition games here. The business people here realized that in order to get a permanent team, the rules in place keeping African Americans from staying at the better hotels had to change, as the professional teams were integrated. Also, there couldn't be segregation in the seating at entertainment events. (This helped avoid the embarrassment that Jacksonville, Florida, faced in 1964 when the Beatles were to play there. The Beatles, to their everlasting credit, said that they wouldn't play there unless there was no longer segregation in seating. Fortunately, New Orleans had already gotten rid of those asinine laws before the Fab Four played here.)

Finally, my motto - when you come to a fork in the road, take it - was said by that sage of Baseball, Yogi Berra.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:24:26 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 05, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »

Well it doesn't seem like there'll be definitive answer to the question.
As you were.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 05, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »

Did my best  LOL

I'm sure there are some Russian traditions that wouldn't make sense to us

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 13, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »

Reading alexander palace, many use "an" with "history". It doesn't look right. F.ex. "an historic event" etc. Isn't "h" distinct in "history"/ "historic"? Is there English-speaking place in which people de-voice "h"?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 13, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »

One big pet peeve of mine is whenever somebody says "no?" after asking a question.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 16, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »

Reading alexander palace, many use "an" with "history". It doesn't look right. F.ex. "an historic event" etc. Isn't "h" distinct in "history"/ "historic"? Is there English-speaking place in which people de-voice "h"?

Thought of you when I heard the headline of a national television news program :
" An historic snowfall in the northeastern US"
It's considered correct to either use "a" or "an" before historic or historical . I usually hear "an " used and that's what I use as well. It just sounds better to me, maybe because I barely pronounce the "h" with those two words.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »

Ta. Btw, since you used popular phrase "thought of smb.", reading alexander palace there's poste. "Eric_Lowe", he posts in casual way, posts *a lot*, to the point nearly each 2nd reply is by him, gets repetitive, frequently butts in between the other posters to reply to these posters like they're talking to him. I thought of KDS reading that guy. In roundabout way of course, there isn't huge similarity. :D

The other thing observed reading alexander palace, I find really strange & hilarious at times seeing users quickly getting familiar. F.ex. new users just met in the board with the old-timers "Hi I'm new, I just joined the forum..." & usual "Welcome!". ...few replies in, each side is super-friendly, call each other "Meg", "Johnnie" (when username is John), "Chris", "girlie" etc. They poke fun, tell jokes, even playful to boot, like old buddies. Wth? Brow

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 27, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »

When people use shortly "be good to do sth." & "be seeing you". Few alexander palace posters used it & generally in the Internet. Maybe the others quickly recognize what's meant by it but to me it takes time to figure without the beginning bit. It would be nice if they'd written down, say, "It would be good to find this film", "I'll be seeing you next time".

Then, seeing 2 films back to back, I discover people use "good day" to mean exact different meanings - hello & goodbye. This is real revelation. I knew the "goodbye". Well, I knew the "hello" as well but figured this is used strictly in letters when shortened "g'day, ...". In films, read: face-to-face talk, people didn't greet each other "good day!", they'd use it in the end when they go. Is it, then, fair to assume "good day" is archaic greeting, today it's "hello", "hi", "good morning (evening, afternoon)", "hey what's up" etc.?
Whilst in the greetings subject, many colloquially say just "evening!" et al sans the "good" bit. It looks strange in print than when hearing people saying it.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 01, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »

Cashier people saying "odnu?" ("one?") when asking in food shop how many you buy (chocolate, biscuit/ waffle/ etc. bunches). They use it everytime intact, when it should change its gender with food name. If the word is masculine gender - say, chocolate ("shokolad"), lemon ("limon") - "odin" must be used. Neuter gender - "moloko"/ milk, "pechenye"/ biscuit/ cookie, "myaso/ miaso"/ meat - "odno" must be used. "Odnu" is used to just feminine gender - "pachka"/ bunch/ batch/ pile (of candies), "priprava"/ seasoning, "muka"/ flour, "pechen'"/ liver. It annoys big time when they say "odnu?" like they didn't study this ABC grammar rule.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 03, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »

Reply deleted due to such decision.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:50:44 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 04, 2018, 05:10:09 PM »

Btw, I still don't find any difference between pet peeves & grievance-airing in winter holidays, I read you got such tradition. I mentioned it before & since nobody amongst American posters precisely denied, then explained (with detail of course), that there IS difference, it brings conclusion I'm right, there isn't. Or, is there?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »

In hindsight, the deleted reply shouldn't be too lengthy. It could be single line.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:55:50 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2019, 06:03:35 AM »

People advertizing random useless goods in whatsapp, spammers who post generic pics daily like "Good Morning!", "Cool! It's Friday!", "It's Weekend!" etc which take space. In any group chat, be it cooking, cats, flats' block discussing central heating issues etc. Need I say it's tedious to get thru?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:36 AM »

Yes, you need. Agree 100%, smartie.
Neighbors - hate these people. You should too, folks. Smiley
Srsly, I really don't get people who get super-friendly with neighbors. Why do it if it's not requirement? When smb. greets with hello, I don't hello back. They play loudly music genre *I* specifically can't stand, yet they should get nice treatment, shouldn't be made big deal about? Dumb logic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:19:27 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 04, 2019, 11:05:11 AM »

I'm a private person and wouldn't appreciate nosy neighbors. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with them.
However it can be a good thing to be cordial to them, in case of an emergency situation such as a flood, fire, or tornadoes. It can be good to know the basics of that family unit; if firefighters get injured people out I can say, there might be one more child in there, or, they have a couple of cats...
A neighbor came in handy for my Mother. She was restoring her home that was heavily damaged by Hurricane Katrina. In early 2007 she was one of only a couple in her neighborhood who had electricity restored. Thus she bought new appliances such as a combination refrigerator/freezer, stove and oven, and other things. She hadn't moved back into the house yet.
Around midnight some guys got into her house and started pulling out the appliances. They brought them out and were going to put them into a truck when they started to argue. Our next door neighbor heard the racket, looked outside and saw what was happening. He called the police, who caught and arrested them. The potential burglers didn't know there was anyone next door as their house had only been gutted (walls torn out, ruined furniture and other items thrown out) and didn't have electricity.
So I am so grateful to her neighbors. And they have a little dog, Cupid, who sneaks into our back yard, gets along with our cats, and plays with BooBoo the dog.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:40:26 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 04, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »

Neighbors - hate these people. You should too, folks. Smiley
Srsly, I really don't get people who get super-friendly with neighbors. Why do it if it's not requirement? When smb. greets with hello, I don't hello back. They play loudly music genre *I* specifically can't stand, yet they should get nice treatment, shouldn't be made big deal about? Dumb logic.
Perhaps those people really like their neighbours! It's possible, you know.  Grin

Why not just say hello back to your neighbours, whatever it is they play loudly? It might even make you feel good--you won't know unless you try. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »

We 3 will just agree to disagree. Neighbors you talk about is people living in neighbor house. I'm sure it's easy to manage neighborhood like that, everybody living in separate houses. Lucky you. It differs than people living in the same building, you know. Flats' block. I believe that neighbors in such living condition must respect each & everybody & not disturb the other neighbor's sleep & play music at night a.m. time. Esp. music I hate - techno, eurodance, rap etc. You gotta understand why I hate them, it's justified you know?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »

Okay I understand. I've been fortunate to only have lived in apartments for a couple of years, and never in a multistory complex. I can imagine it becoming annoying to hear the guy in the apartment above you stomping about in the middle of the night, TV or music turned up loudly. And as the walls in those places are paper thin, you can hear arguments and other stuff you'd rather not hear. During my time in apartments I only had occasional problems with a neighbor who got home late at night from work and he'd turn the TV on. I was only in that apartment for 3 months. (I was cat sitting - names were Tigger and Scooter - for a woman who decided to go into the woods to "find herself." Don't know if she ever did lol. I ended up adopting Scooter, a sweet calico, and the woman's ex husband took Tigger. )

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »

(I was cat sitting - names were Tigger and Scooter - for a woman who decided to go into the woods to "find herself." Don't know if she ever did lol. I ended up adopting Scooter, a sweet calico, and the woman's ex husband took Tigger. )

That's some story!  LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: