-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 177151 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2018, 03:22:23 AM »

That is true for a majority of people I have seen. I however live in Texas and I absolutely hate it here. I've lived here my entire life and it has never felt like home.  I'm at the point where as soon as I can transfer and have enough money to move, I'm gone. Knowing that my life span is going to be much shorter than I initially thought/hoped,  I have to make something happen while I have the time to. In any case, you're right in because most people here are definitely proud (and nothing wrong with that) but I myself feel so out of place here.
Thanks to further confirm it. I read it many times & seen Americans directly say their state is the best. That some people in the States admit liking the other states, as per Buckethead, doesn't mean much - they still cling to that beloved home state.

& Billy, move with Dana & Jaymie to California! :D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »

I don't know about being proud of my state, or thinking it's the best. I think it's good. I enjoy it a lot. But proud? Not exactly proud. And best, I don't get into ranking things (at least not seriously--just for silly purposes like "best songs" polls that don't count for anything). I've said many times, I've liked most everywhere I've been to some extent. The "grass isn't always greener," but there's usually plenty of green grass.

As for "do we believe that this poster thinks with concern for random people's welfare they never met?" I would absolutely hope so. If we can't have concern for other people, including people we've never met, we are simply animals, nothing more. It is exactly that kind of emotional imagination that raises us to the level of humanity. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the good in our environments, but if we only do that, and if we don't show concern for the less fortunate, we don't deserve the good things in our lives anyway.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »

That is true for a majority of people I have seen. I however live in Texas and I absolutely hate it here. I've lived here my entire life and it has never felt like home.  I'm at the point where as soon as I can transfer and have enough money to move, I'm gone. Knowing that my life span is going to be much shorter than I initially thought/hoped,  I have to make something happen while I have the time to. In any case, you're right in because most people here are definitely proud (and nothing wrong with that) but I myself feel so out of place here.

Dude. Shocked

Yeah I don’t really want to get into it on the board too much but I’ve been having issues since my second stroke which is why I haven’t been as active here. I’ve basically been in and out of the hospital since August and I’m pretty much done with everything... I’m at the point of “whatever happens,happens “.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »

Take care of yourself, Billy.

On a totally different note (but relevant to the thread), I really dislike the hyperbole-clickbait style of YouTube video titles, as well as headlines in some publications. For example, I enjoy watching debates on YouTube. But so many of them have titles like "[Person A] CRUSHES libtard [Person B]," or "Conservative DESTROYED IN FIVE MINUTES!" or whatever. Right now in my recommended videos is "Atheist Dan Barker Mutilates The Christian."

It's as if the typical YouTube commenter--which is to say, a hyperbolic idiot--titles them all.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »

2tc: I stand by everything I said. If you didn't get my reply which, face it, is very well-written, I'm going to shut that case.

Next pet peeve - when people try really bad to be funny instead of just keeping it cool & talking casually. Cases in point - 2 PS posters bonnie bella & 'Becca. Reading each of these posters, it's like they don't just post their opinions about various things but as if they spent some time before hitting "post" to come up with sth. funny. There's some naturally funny people but this strikes as "trying to seek attention by being funny to gain posters' praise & friendship".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:44:30 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »

1. People adopting pets, then getting tired of caring about them & throwing like garbage.
2. People giving up their individuality to instead be like everybody. Meanwhile, "everybody" doesn't care.
3. People telling Beatles is great without explaining why, except...Beatles is great. Wha'?
4. People saying they're capable of being objective when in fact, it's just opinions.
5. People bragging they're open-minded as if it's really cool achievement.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »

2tc: I stand by everything I said. If you didn't get my reply which, face it, is very well-written, I'm going to shut that case.

Guessing “tc” is me & I believe you named me pre-edit. Anyway, didn’t respond because I had nothing to say. There’s nothing to be gained in going around entrenched in disagreement.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »

On a totally different note (but relevant to the thread), I really dislike the hyperbole-clickbait style of YouTube video titles, as well as headlines in some publications. For example, I enjoy watching debates on YouTube. But so many of them have titles like "[Person A] CRUSHES libtard [Person B]," or "Conservative DESTROYED IN FIVE MINUTES!" or whatever. Right now in my recommended videos is "Atheist Dan Barker Mutilates The Christian."

It's as if the typical YouTube commenter--which is to say, a hyperbolic idiot--titles them all.

I agree entirely. I think it's a symptom of being treating politics like its a spectator sport. In many ways, we have been highly influenced to think about politics in those terms.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »

1. People adopting pets, then getting tired of caring about them & throwing like garbage.
2. People giving up their individuality to instead be like everybody. Meanwhile, "everybody" doesn't care.
3. People telling Beatles is great without explaining why, except...Beatles is great. Wha'?
4. People saying they're capable of being objective when in fact, it's just opinions.
5. People bragging they're open-minded as if it's really cool achievement.

There are good reasons why someone would have to give up a pet. But the pet needs to be given to another or ideally brought to a "no kill" shelter . It's horrible to just dump the pet on the road, or worse - in rural areas unwanted pets might be shot or drowned. :-(

Trying to "fit in" and give in to peer pressure in High School didn't work for me so I gave up. It got a lot better in college when I could "be myself" - there were a lot of oddballs who were like me lol. If you are true to yourself you will be respected more by others.

I see it all the time on another music board. You have to love the Beatles because - Beatles! I love the Beatles particularly for the period 1964-66. Great songs, good to great lyrics, some great innovation (thanks to George Martin). But they had some schlock as well, on a couple of their later albums.

Peeves 4 and 5 are similar. I agree that it's almost impossible to be totally "objective". To be fair, or open minded, can be difficult in my country nowadays. The middle ground is considered to be wishy washy. I do try to listen to those with differing opinions in order to find common ground. But for so many people it's one extreme or another.
This philosophy doesn't work well with me. With the conservatives I'm "pro-life" and realize the need for the country to watch its spending. But with the liberals I think children and the poor should be helped, there must be changes in the gun laws and I'm against capital punishment. So I have no political "home." Can't stand the Democrats or Republicans.  (Because of where I live, it's particularly hard for me to abide many of the Republicans, some of whom actually believe Trump was "anointed by God" for the presidency!)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »

Yes, good reasons when people give up pets but, I meant - & stated as such - the case when people think it's fun to adopt pets, then they see they must feed them etc., they see it's difficult, quickly get tired of routine & throw them. I witnessed it many times. The other, good reasons don't interest me, or else I'd list them & phrase sentence as such. I didn't. I said strictly the cruel reason people give up pets.

Why did you try to fit in in the 1st place? Didn't you think like this "I'm going to be loyal to my individuality & completely dismiss what everybody else likes/ into etc. If nobody would make friends with me, no big deal, ha! I'd be glad, good for me! Again, ha!"

Cool to see you admitted that Beatles got schlock in their career. Good girl! If everybody else admitted it, I'd buy them candies.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 18, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »

Yes, good reasons when people give up pets but, I meant - & stated as such - the case when people think it's fun to adopt pets, then they see they must feed them etc.,. I said strictly the cruel reason people give up pets.

Why did you try to fit in in the 1st place? Didn't you think like this "I'm going to be loyal to my individuality & completely dismiss what everybody else likes/ into etc. If nobody would make friends with me, no big deal, ha! I'd be glad, good for me!

There's a problem here in the US with baby bunnies being bought around Easter. People get tired of them and it usually doesn't end well for the bunny.
People see posts about piglets and they think, "how cute!" and get one. Of course the little piglet grows up to be a big pig, then what to do?
 yes before getting a pet people need to do their homework. And down here, people need to know how to evacuate animals in case of a hurricane. Untold thousands of dogs, cats, and other pets died as a result of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

As for wanting to be liked, there is tremendous peer pressure in adolescence to "fit in." I tried to and didn't very well. At some point, think I was 16 1/2, I just said "dash it all" and stopped caring. I think it was when I was in a music class.  The teacher played a beautiful classical music recording. The other students were muttering things like "it's too slow, you can't dance to it". Think I rolled my eyes... Curiously, shortly after that I started to be liked more by my classmates. Perhaps they started to respect me because I wasn't trying to fake something I wasn't , but who knows with teenagers? We were all in our own ways trying to figure things out.

Well I'm out of here for a while, going on a retreat. A week without internet, radio, TV, newspapers. A chance to clear my head. See y'all later.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 18, 2018, 08:17:39 PM »

There's a problem here in the US with baby bunnies being bought around Easter. People get tired of them and it usually doesn't end well for the bunny.
People see posts about piglets and they think, "how cute!" and get one. Of course the little piglet grows up to be a big pig, then what to do?
 yes before getting a pet people need to do their homework.
You got me. That's the point I brought/ made.

As for wanting to be liked, there is tremendous peer pressure in adolescence to "fit in."
Disagree, it sure looks like people in all ages try to fit in, act like sheep. & I don't get the term "peer pressure". It shouldn't be in the 1st place. Nobody should be pressed by what peers do around. It's them, not you. You do what you do, what everybody does musn't matter. Come on, folks! Keep your individualities intact. Disregard everybody else.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 18, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »

yes before getting a pet people need to do their homework.
You got me. That's the point I brought/ made.

As for wanting to be liked, there is tremendous peer pressure in adolescence to "fit in."
Disagree, it sure looks like people in all ages try to fit in, act like sheep. & I don't get the term "peer pressure". It shouldn't be in the 1st place. Nobody should be pressed by what peers do around. It's them, not you. You do what you do, what everybody does musn't matter. Come on, folks! Keep your individualities intact. Disregard everybody else.
It's not always as simple as that.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 18, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »

It's simple to me, then it should be simple for everybody else. If you disagree, bring examples instead of writing that short answer which doesn't say anything to back it up.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 18, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »

It's simple to me, then it should be simple for everybody else. If you disagree, bring examples instead of writing that short answer which doesn't say anything to back it up.
Well, when you're around a certain crowd, you often get "taunted" by other kids, to the point that you want to be like them. Or if not taunted by others, sometimes you see the one particular kid in school that you want to emulate, be like, no matter if it means changing how much you yourself are. As the only handicapped kid in my class room, I think I have a pretty good understanding how somebody might want to by like the other kids.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: July 18, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »

Funny part is I was just the opposite. I wasn’t very popular growing up but instead of emulating others it made me NOT want to be like them.  I never tried to fit in because I thought a lot of what was considered to be cool wasn’t yet be that it’s passé I like it. I was a hipster before the term existed lol

These days though I just like what I like.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 18, 2018, 11:42:27 PM »

2Jay: What you say is related to health. Being surrounded by healthy kids you distracted attention to the problems you've got by being normal, i.e. doing what kids in the class were into. That example differs than classic cases I talk about. When I went to school, kids there drank since 5th grade. I didn't. Kids hated me for it, quickly lumped me together with outsiders. Did I change attitude being pressured by kids? Ofc not. It's up to me to drink or not. & believe me, it was very easy thing to do, to be individual. As I said, if everybody hates me, what can I do - be slave of what they like? I didn't bat an eye. I'd been happy to be friendless at school. No big loss. Now, I got 2 nice girls as friends who agree with me 100% that the term "peer pressure" shouldn't even exist.

Ditto with smoking, social networking, going to disco/ parties, dating etc. - didn't/ don't do any of it. Do I regret missing out on this "fun" millions went thru? Negative. Everything I just said bores me big time. So...yep, I stand by my individuality & the point(s) made.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 19, 2018, 12:22:56 AM »

See in America, peer pressure is a huge problem. You might even say it's kind of at a crisis level.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 19, 2018, 01:50:11 AM »

Isn't it, logically, the fault of everybody who gets easily influenced by peers? It's these people who create the problem when, if they weren't easily influenced, there'd be no problem. Which is to say, still not convinced how it's not "simple as that".

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: July 19, 2018, 02:00:27 AM »

It really isn’t that simple. In order to get it, you really do have to live here. Difference in culture. I don’t mean that in a bad way or to be insulting;I'm sure you have life experiences we wouldn’t get either. Not saying it makes it right but when you are bombarded nonstop basically since birth with certain things via media and the people are you, there is more pressure to conform. Those who don’t (like myself) were ostracized at a young age because of it. Trust me, my youth was hell because of it. I didn’t really come into my own and accept myself until adulthood; for the longest time I thought there was something wrong with me. So yeah trust me on this you really have no idea unless you grew up here.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:02:56 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 19, 2018, 06:29:59 AM »

Quick comment on the topic of peer pressure (and the very related topics of marketing and advertising), I believe that the evidence is conclusive that, as social animals, we are in general highly vulnerable to influence. (One good piece of evidence is the very existence of marketing: billions of dollars wouldn’t be wasted if companies and candidates didn’t believe that those campaigns worked.)

Generally people know this but believe they are exempt. “Others fall for this stuff, but I don’t.” But we all do, to some extent, whether it’s which product to buy, which candidates to support, which fashions to sport, or how to behave. Even general social norms are basically peer pressure. We’re all subject to it at some level, however pleasing it is to believe we’re strong, autonomous beings.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 19, 2018, 09:22:12 AM »

It's been alluded to twice now, so I have to ask... is peer pressure really any worse in the US than in Russia or anywhere else? Drinking is a great example. RangeRoverA1 was hated and cast as an outsider for not drinking from 5th grade onwards. That's far harsher than my own experience, but there's a very similar pressure in the US, and many other countries.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 19, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »

I doubt it varies. Across cultures certain types of pressure may vary (more or less exposure to corporate or political messaging, for example), or the behaviors that are the subject of the pressure (maybe getting married earlier or later, alcohol abstinence or consumption, religiosity), but I’d wager human vulnerability to peer pressure is similar across cultures.

Then again, maybe there are differences based on whether a culture emphasizes or celebrates individualism or community cohesion? That might make sense. But then a person might guess the opposite: that people in the US should be less vulnerable rather than more compared to those in Russia.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 19, 2018, 09:58:30 AM »

I suppose I could believe that it's gotten worse as a result of technological advances. Not that peer pressure ever really slept, but I didn't even have a cell phone until college (and even then it wasn't a smartphone!). I feel lucky that my childhood wasn't dominated by the internet. I was one of the last ones (born in the late '80s). The pressure must feel ever present in a way that simply wasn't the case in the past. 

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 19, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

2Jay: What you say is related to health. Being surrounded by healthy kids you distracted attention to the problems you've got by being normal, i.e. doing what kids in the class were into. That example differs than classic cases I talk about. When I went to school, kids there drank since 5th grade. I didn't. Kids hated me for it, quickly lumped me together with outsiders. Did I change attitude being pressured by kids? Ofc not. It's up to me to drink or not. & believe me, it was very easy thing to do, to be individual. As I said, if everybody hates me, what can I do - be slave of what they like? I didn't bat an eye. I'd been happy to be friendless at school. No big loss. Now, I got 2 nice girls as friends who agree with me 100% that the term "peer pressure" shouldn't even exist.

Ditto with smoking, social networking, going to disco/ parties, dating etc. - didn't/ don't do any of it. Do I regret missing out on this "fun" millions went thru? Negative. Everything I just said bores me big time. So...yep, I stand by my individuality & the point(s) made.
By "being normal"?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: