-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:09:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 177162 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »

Here's another minor peeve I was reminded of today, although it's hardly my problem, lol: 

- Murray (even from long-term fans who should know better)
- Rielly/Reilly/Riley/Reiley (all seen here in a single thread on Jack R!)
- Anniversario (there should be one n)
- Etc.

All it takes is a little care, folks.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »

Here's another minor peeve I was reminded of today, although it's hardly my problem, lol: 

- Etc.

Misspelling proper names doesn't bother me nearly as much as the misuse of there/their/they're. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »

I don't pay attention to typos/ misspellings, grammar mistakes IF the text is easy to understand. That said, "an history" & other "an h..." combination puzzles.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:55:24 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »

- Etc.

Misspelling proper names doesn't bother me nearly as much as the misuse of there/their/they're. 
I try to ignore grammar mistakes, but every time I read "would of" instead of "would have", I want to punch the computer screen.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2017, 02:10:38 AM »

I try to ignore grammar mistakes, but every time I read "would of" instead of "would have", I want to punch the computer screen.

Haha. Agreed on both counts. I believe the curious case of "it's/its" has already been discussed...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2017, 04:10:44 AM »

The point is "would of" and the like are not grammatical mistakes. They are wilful butchering of a language.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 18, 2017, 04:16:58 AM »

- Etc.

Sorry, but "anniversario" depends on language. It's "anniversario" (so, correct) in Italian. "Aniversario" in Spanish. The seldom used but existing "anniversary" in English.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2017, 04:26:25 AM »

Sorry, but "anniversario" depends on language. It's "anniversario" (so, correct) in Italian. "Aniversario" in Spanish. The seldom used but existing "anniversary" in English.
I think JK means poster Eric Aniversario.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2017, 04:29:38 AM »

I think JK means poster Eric Aniversario.

Indeed I do. Thanks, RR.

He of the indispensable BB Setlist Archive and poster on this board.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:51 AM »

The point is "would of" and the like are not grammatical mistakes. They are wilful butchering of a language.

It bugs me as much as anyone, but I think one of the points is that it usually *isn't* willful. To me, a good amount of the frustration about people writing that is that they don't know they're making a mistake.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »

I've not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned already.  I get annoyed when someone says, and I hear this literally every day, "I could care less", or even worse, "I could care".  Makes no sense. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:26 PM »

Haha. Agreed on both counts. I believe the curious case of "it's/its" has already been discussed...
I'll be honest, I always confuse(read: don't understand lol) The difference between its/it's, and to/two/too. *hangs head*

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2017, 03:45:10 AM »

It bugs me as much as anyone, but I think one of the points is that it usually *isn't* willful. To me, a good amount of the frustration about people writing that is that they don't know they're making a mistake.
I think they know, but, as they would put it, "they could care less".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:46:28 AM by thorgil » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »

In family, friends, work gatherings, if smb. asks dumb question "Why don't you drink?" & says things like "Just a sip"/ "1 glass wouldn't hurt" etc. If you say you don't like the taste & prefer tea, fresh orange juice etc., they must respectfully stop asking & give reasons why you should. Esp. friends - no good/best friend - I reiterate NO good/best friend - will ask you to drink if 1st time you said "No". If you gave negative answer, it means exactly that - negative answer. If they annoyingly continue, I usually say "get lost, will ya?". & that's that.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »

In family, friends, work gatherings, if smb. asks dumb question "Why don't you drink?" & says things like "Just a sip"/ "1 glass wouldn't hurt" etc. If you say you don't like the taste & prefer tea, fresh orange juice etc., they must respectfully stop asking & give reasons why you should. Esp. friends - no good/best friend - I reiterate NO good/best friend - will ask you to drink if 1st time you said "No". If you gave negative answer, it means exactly that - negative answer. If they annoyingly continue, I usually say "get lost, will ya?". & that's that.

Totally agree with this!

I've found the people who continuously push alcohol in those situations are the most annoying people anyways...which is why they push drinks because the only time you can stand to be around these people is if you're buzzed or drunk.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »

Totally agree with this!

I've found the people who continuously push alcohol in those situations are the most annoying people anyways...which is why they push drinks because the only time you can stand to be around these people is if you're buzzed or drunk.
Thanks.

I mean they've got eyes, they see you with cup of tea. The brain should work fast & make them refrain from asking pointless question. If they drink - it's their problem. You don't have to join them if you don't like it being strict teetotaler.

Few years ago, in some BBs threads, people went on super-boring "beer talk" sidetrack as cheesy way to reconcile after debating sth. Roll Eyes To read thru that was real pain in the neck. Special topic was created in the Sandbox for it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:08:03 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »

The brain should work fast & make them refrain from asking pointless question.

I think, too, that they partially see it as asserting dominance. Drinking is very socially acceptable so if you're not drinking there must be something wrong with you (this is my perception of their mentality). Pushing drinks on someone who clearly doesn't want any alcohol in an environment where there are many people drinking is one way to point out the weak person in the herd.

I guess from life experience the only people who have pushed drinks on me are those who seem really insecure about themselves - and thus they usually try to find and point out the "flaws" in others. I drink when I want to drink, and if I'm around people who push drinks I'm more than likely not going to partake.

I remember those beer threads haha. Makes sense they were moved to the Sandbox - I don't mind talk about beer but I can see why most would find it distasteful in the on-topic section.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2017, 02:27:43 PM »

The beer talk was amazing!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »

I think, too, that they partially see it as asserting dominance. Drinking is very socially acceptable so if you're not drinking there must be something wrong with you (this is my perception of their mentality). Pushing drinks on someone who clearly doesn't want any alcohol in an environment where there are many people drinking is one way to point out the weak person in the herd.

I guess from life experience the only people who have pushed drinks on me are those who seem really insecure about themselves - and thus they usually try to find and point out the "flaws" in others. I drink when I want to drink, and if I'm around people who push drinks I'm more than likely not going to partake.

I remember those beer threads haha. Makes sense they were moved to the Sandbox - I don't mind talk about beer but I can see why most would find it distasteful in the on-topic section.
Yes, collective mind & all that. People like sheep. If you step outside - god forbid! - you'll be given weird looks. Roll Eyes I couldn't care less what's "very socially acceptable". Nobody must be easily influenced, esp. by bad habits. If your friends/ co-workers drink - cool. But that's, like, their problem. Just like you don't read them lecture about bad effects of drinking (which is fact), they musn't tell you join them. You said "No" & that's that. Basta.

I agree, they're *very* insecure. Re: beer talks, not just distasteful - REAL snoozefest. If they shoot the breeze about drinking & outclassing each other in trying different sorts in the Sandbox - no problem, I'll just ignore it. But to read it in the main board is joykill & annoying as all hell.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 01, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »

Knowing that Trump is going to do something stupid every day of his presidency and our Beach Boys board will continue to be saturated with daily posts like this for the next four, possibly eight years.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2017, 09:18:55 AM »

Jive talk. Just watch this What's My Line? mystery guest episode with Julie London. All 4 panelists seem rather annoyed by her "You know, like" answers. They seem confused as to what she even says. Then moderator John Daly tries to translate it into normal speech & then at one point ends it with "You dig?". Everybody laughs, even Julie. But yes, it is painful to hear.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »

Crybabies and busybodies.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: February 11, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »

Liars and hypocrites.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »

The smelly orange-yellow berries (?) on the sidewalk down the block and unshoveled sidewalks that have become slick water-and-ice patches.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »

Jive talk. Just watch this What's My Line? mystery guest episode with Julie London. All 4 panelists seem rather annoyed by her "You know, like" answers. They seem confused as to what she even says. Then moderator John Daly tries to translate it into normal speech & then at one point ends it with "You dig?". Everybody laughs, even Julie. But yes, it is painful to hear.

"Line" is a great show that I used to watch with my parents in the 50's and 60's. Love the b/w, the panelists and Daly. Revisiting all the old shows on ME TV.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: