-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 176763 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »

Okay I understand.
Thank you.

I've been fortunate to only have lived in apartments for a couple of years, and never in a multistory complex.
Wait - there's difference? Doesn't multistory complex consist of these very apartments you talk about? It's like you say apartment is sth. else in America, not little flats people live in within the same building. Strange.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2019, 07:56:39 PM »

The apartments I lived in were all on one level, 5 or 6 units. There were no upper floors. Across the street from one of them was an apartment complex - lots of apartments, think about 5 levels. In the big cities there are apartment complexes with 20 or more levels, and sometimes several complexes jammed together. Not very nice at all, especially if the electricity goes out or  there 's a problem with water pressure.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 14, 2019, 06:40:29 AM »

I gather floor is synonym with level. Anyhoo, when people spit in the streets. They walk casually spitting. Perhaps they should carry plastic bags to spit. Vandalism, esp. lame stuff like "[random guy/ girl name] I love you" written in random street buildings like garages. Maybe best to say it to face, else it looks like buncha chickens anonymously publishing their feelings to garage walls.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 14, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »

Oh, spitting ! A BIG pet peeve! There's no need for it. Gross!

I almost wish our graffiti was along the lines of "Sherri I love you." Most of it consists of gang symbols. Or the obnoxious guy who goes around spray painting " ACHOO! " on public buildings.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »

Hey, NOLA, did you know about trend "vocal fry"? People say it's teen/ youth thing, adult commenters say it's annoying to hear it. What puzzles is to see it dubbed "trend". I tried to do it but it's really pain in the neck, difficult. I figured it's people who naturally talk that way, i.e. regardless age.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 14, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »

I've heard it but didn't know that it was called "vocal fry."
 I find it a bit annoying. I hear it mainly from some young women giving interviews. Are they doing it on purpose? Anyway, RR, please don't try to imitate them . That's not how regular American women talk

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 16, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »

To me, it's annoying if indeed they do it purposely. Better stay with real voice, fry doesn't add coolness, it sounds like choking.
Speaking re: American, is New Orleans city with too many traffic jams? Will you tell?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 16, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »

We have some traffic jams, but they are not usually that bad. It can be slow in our interstate or bridges during the "rush hours" - 0600-0900, and 1500-1800 - when most people are going to or going home from work.
But it's nothing like you see in places like Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta , or along the East Coast between Washington, D.C. and Boston.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 17, 2019, 05:39:57 AM »

- Youtubers doing roll call "1st!", "3rd!", "55th!"
- typos in food labels, CD's, books
- street mud puddles

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 21, 2019, 05:31:25 AM »

Dots dots dots dots dots. "What............eh....well.......it's nice.........". "LMAO", "ROFL", "af" (?), "lololololololol", "AMG" (?), "lel" (?), "OML" (?), "xX [username] Xx" (?), rating tales differently going by its title/ narrative "5 out of 10 cookies", "3/10 weird vampires", "2/10 sharp teeth", to tell few.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 23, 2019, 10:30:32 AM »

Bought single patty today, there's been hidden tiny bone, brought gag reflex. Shan't buy it again.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 06, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »

Recently seen Karen Carpenter/ The Carpenters documentary; thing that really made I cringe is tacky fruitless "real events' envisioning", by actors that don't even the slightest look like real people they play. "Karen" is simply bad. "Richard" is bizarre to say the least. Ditto "parents" & everybody else. It's good this film included interviews with Dionne Warwick & few people who knew Karen well, f.ex. neighbors. But, it's ruined by the above. Wish it been exclusively family & friends interviews, Carpenters' music clips, Karen's & Richard's interviews, i.e. real footages.

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj5Y6OxdWGI

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 03, 2019, 05:22:21 PM »

- "OMG you don't play Christmas songs right now do you? It's too early for that!!!"
I pity people listening to music by seasons.

- "If it bore the name of B. Wilson instead of B. Johnston, people would call it masterpiece"
Would they? Roll Eyes

- youtube comments to What's My Line eps: "Ernie Kovacs is a genius!! His humor is ahead of its times!!".
Genius = being ahead of time. Cheesy
Thankfully MANY, still, agree with me that Ernie's real pain in the neck. Hated him as panelist, with equally unfunny boringly rebellious (at his senior age!) Groucho Marx (who didn't play by game rules. Rules in game = VERY IMPORTANT, it annoys to no end when people start breaking them to instead be like clowns saying humorless "jokes". People laughing at Groucho make ZERO sense. Quit laughing), Henry Morgan (tactless ill-bred guy who bizarrely got beef with Bennett Cerf, Random House publisher, the guy with the loveliest smile with tiny teeth, friendliest politest panelist).

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 08, 2020, 05:05:03 AM »

Here's a non-life-threatening JK peeve. Almost all posters I see advertising concerts in Dutch churches give the names of the composers but not of the individual works. How, then, am I to decide if I want to go? One piece by, say, Brahms may be infinitely more interesting to me than another.

Just one poster I came across recently gives me hope for the future. It enumerates two specific sonatas by Beethoven and Schumann and adds a couple of unknown works by unknown composers. Although I won't be going, I do hope to see this trend continue and flourish. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:27:43 PM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 21, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »

When people say "Thanks for having me" when answering interviewers' "Thanks for being here". It's standard etiquette reply - which ain't reason I dislike it - yet it simultaneously reads stupid & arrogant.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 20, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:41:04 PM by Gertie J. » Logged

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 01, 2020, 03:10:08 PM »

Hey Gertie. How are you doing? Is Mary's okay too?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: