-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2018, 11:15:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 43522 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 19, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »

I truly believe that peer pressure exists in every single culture (and micro-culture), only the behaviors,objects, etc. that are the targets differ. Go to certain places in the Middle East, for example, and see the pressure women put on other women to be extremely modest. Ditto Orthodox Jewish communities - go to one of their schools, see a girl with the top of her blouse unbuttoned, and you will probably see her friends bringing her to back to the expected standard. My own sons were made fun of mercilessly because they had no interest in having sex with girls, then women, with whom they were not in a loving, committed relationship. They were called gay, but didn't care because they were comfortable with their own sexuality. In some denominations of Christianity (throughout the world), marriage partners are pressured by their social group to stay together, no matter how miserable or even in danger they may be; divorce results in loss of peer support and interaction. The old anthropology major in me could give many examples of groups in the Amazon or in the Philippines in which refusal to succumb to peer pressure can be deadly.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 19, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »

Alright. We'll agree to disagree as I still don't see why people can't do what *they* would like to do, why they're scared that they wouldn't be accepted into group etc. Talking about countries with freedom, I didn't talk about places where people get seriously punished if they dress differently etc. But when you live in place with freefom, it doesn't make sense people would get easily influenced. F.ex. everybody's got mobile phone. I bought it too but everybody buys the coolest phone, I buy it as mean to talk. Everybody buys fridge - is it peer pressure too? Or just realization that this is convenient, in fact single way to store food & prevent it being stale?

monolithic aka Nicko1234 is simply the worst poster in the BBs board history. He acts like this really fair & balanced, reasonable person, best kinda fan when in fact he's just fanboy, as well as subtle potshot taker & passive-aggressive commentator.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:09:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Droopy & Snoopy, respectively ugly & cute dogs, swapped places in cartoon history which brought havoc to either side.

At Halloween, Smiley posters should be disguised with smiley face masks. PS posters should be in green-brown costumes & each member imitates by mouth their favorite sounds. Easy, ain't it?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2018, 08:48:05 AM »

I think you are overrating people's natural ability to be truly individuals. Peer pressure is a well established reality in academic literature.

But with that said, obviously we can all see that some people are more susceptible than others to it: everyone knows someone who seems to fall into the crowd every single time about every single thing, and someone else who doesn't have such a problem being unique. Anyway, my point is just that it is clearly a real thing that some people simply aren't able to fight against to the degree that others are. To ask "why don't you just do what you want to do?" probably isn't a realistic question for those people, any more than it would be to ask someone with clinical depression "why don't you just cheer up?"

We have evolved to be social creatures on the whole, after all, so some degree of a need for acceptance by the group is natural. Different people just have different degrees of that need, and different levels of confidence in their own instincts or thinking.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

Alright. We'll agree to disagree as I still don't see why people can't do what *they* would like to do, why they're scared that they wouldn't be accepted into group etc. Talking about countries with freedom, I didn't talk about places where people get seriously punished if they dress differently etc. But when you live in place with freefom, it doesn't make sense people would get easily influenced. F.ex. everybody's got mobile phone. I bought it too but everybody buys the coolest phone, I buy it as mean to talk. Everybody buys fridge - is it peer pressure too? Or just realization that this is convenient, in fact single way to store food & prevent it being stale?

monolithic aka Nicko1234 is simply the worst poster in the BBs board history. He acts like this really fair & balanced, reasonable person, best kinda fan when in fact he's just fanboy, as well as subtle potshot taker & passive-aggressive commentator.

Monolithic is a female poster and is not Nicko1234 unless there is something Iím not aware of
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:44:35 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »

I hear you, RRA1. I was keenly aware of peer pressure beginning in, maybe second grade. Even then, I found it the degree to which kids would go to to be part of the crowd, to be "in" to be annoying. I learned what I had to do and how to present myself in order to avoid bullies (and get along in the workplace), but other than that, I made no effort to conform. If it appeared that I was, for example, in fashion, it was only because I liked it or it was a clear professional expectation. I wore my hair very short when EVERY girl wore it at least shoulder length; this filtered out guys who wanted a girlfriend who conformed to their peers' ideal female, the one that is found in centerfolds. There were plenty of males left over who commented that they liked my hair because it showed my face better. I went to few parties because they were just excuses to for kids to drink and do drugs, and just never bought into the fixation teenage girls had with talking on the phone for hours and hours. I had friends, pretty much other kids who were comfortable being themselves. It is true, though, that some people have a greater need than others to fit in with the "cool people" for no other reason than to do it. I'm nice to everyone, but feel a bit less respect for them, would not seek them out personally or socially. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »

2Billy: Nicko1234 is disguised as female poster monolithic. He's former Smiley poster, by monolithic's admission. It's super-easy to choose gender as female in the settings. Nobody I'd seen overuses a/ an article in 6 yrs I read this board except N1234. F.ex. people say "great post" without "a" when quoting the other poster. N1234 said "A great post", "An interesting post". monolithic did the same. Bolding specific bit to reply to it when quoting whole post is next thing. The opinions, defending John Stamos, taking Mike's side, mentioning Bruce's song "Brand New Old Friends" positively, just the writing style, points he brought here brought by him as monolithic at PS as well. Bottom line: monolithic IS Nicko1234. If you don't believe me - fine. I deduced it's him & believe my deduction skills. Either way, I stand by everything I said there about monolithic/ Nicko1234.

2Buckethead & tc: Points taken.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Droopy & Snoopy, respectively ugly & cute dogs, swapped places in cartoon history which brought havoc to either side.

At Halloween, Smiley posters should be disguised with smiley face masks. PS posters should be in green-brown costumes & each member imitates by mouth their favorite sounds. Easy, ain't it?
♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:52 AM »

2Billy: Nicko1234 is disguised as female poster monolithic. He's former Smiley poster, by monolithic's admission. It's super-easy to choose gender as female in the settings. Nobody I'd seen overuses a/ an article in 6 yrs I read this board except N1234. F.ex. people say "great post" without "a" when quoting the other poster. N1234 said "A great post", "An interesting post". monolithic did the same. Bolding specific bit to reply to it when quoting whole post is next thing. The opinions, defending John Stamos, taking Mike's side, mentioning Bruce's song "Brand New Old Friends" positively, just the writing style, points he brought here brought by him as monolithic at PS as well. Bottom line: monolithic IS Nicko1234. If you don't believe me - fine. I deduced it's him & believe my deduction skills. Either way, I stand by everything I said there about monolithic/ Nicko1234.

2Buckethead & tc: Points taken.
If so, thatís a good catch. I never thought of it that way but it does make sense, and I think youíre right. That said, I think itís best not to take shots at members from another board, as right now weíre coexisting and Iíd prefer to keep it that way. There may be a few that continue to take shots st us but their mods are doing an outstanding job of keeping it in check. Letís follow the same example.

I do think youíre right though.

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 21, 2018, 01:32:47 AM »

Thank you, I know I'm right. :D
& OK, I'll keep negative views about posters in mind.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 21, 2018, 04:26:18 AM »

Love your self-confidence!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: