-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Pet Peeves
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 176762 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2016, 12:21:10 AM »

I have a question of my own. Is "jolly good" also a Russian phrase? I thought it was primarily British.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2016, 12:36:55 AM »

That's a jolly good question.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »

I have no problem at all with the question being asked. It's not the sort of topic everyone enjoys, but I do!
Thanks for understanding, same here. To get explanations about English from native speakers, discuss it with them in real time is mighty cool - that said, maybe smb. is aware of book(s) that details on correct vs. adopted way of conversing & many other things. Would be jolly good.

I applaud you for trying to figure our our crazy language. There are some recent trends that I, a native speaker don't understand.
I have noticed that instead of ending a sentence or phrase with "because of racism" for example, it is now "because racism". Not having that "of" makes it confusing to me. "Because racism what?" Have seen it with other words such as because millenials, because abortion, because...
If anyone can explain the reasoning behind the change it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:48:09 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2016, 02:38:59 PM »

I have noticed that instead of ending a sentence or phrase with "because of racism" for example, it is now "because racism". Not having that "of" makes it confusing to me. "Because racism what?" Have seen it with other words such as because millenials, because abortion, because...
If anyone can explain the reasoning behind the change it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I find it as odd as you do. Here's an extensive discussion of this phenomenon:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6765099

I had the same problem way back when people began saying "I'm good" instead of "I'm well" when asked how they were. I must admit it sounds almost normal now...     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »

Thanks. It's apparently been used for several years but I've only noticed it since getting back on Facebook.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »

I have no problem at all with the question being asked. It's not the sort of topic everyone enjoys, but I do!
Thanks for understanding, same here. To get explanations about English from native speakers, discuss it with them in real time is mighty cool - that said, maybe smb. is aware of book(s) that details on correct vs. adopted way of conversing & many other things. Would be jolly good.

I applaud you for trying to figure our our crazy language. There are some recent trends that I, a native speaker don't understand.
It's hard to explain through typing but as that link says, it implies an "obviously". This has been a verbal thing in my microculture my whole life. Imagine someone saying, "My mother was so upset that I didn't call because...mothers - you know how they are." You have to imagine a pause and an eyeroll or an "obviously" arm flourish.
Even though I've been saying things like this verbally all my life, I also only started seeing it in writing in the last few years and typed it myself for the first time within the last few days on this very board.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:28:25 PM by Emily » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »

The most common way I've been seeing it used lately has been - "because 'murica" (America). This is used in a disparaging way.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »

The most common way I've been seeing it used lately has been - "because 'murica" (America). This is used in a disparaging way.
I'll keep my eye out for that. I haven't seen it myself.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »

I'll keep my eye out for that. I haven't seen it myself.

i have...heck, I've used it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2016, 01:38:09 AM »

Comic Sans MS

Distasteful, displeasing designs

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2016, 05:20:21 AM »

Folks who respond to a well-crafted, well-thought-out post with a vacant "Huh?" Better not to say anything at all, I would have thought.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2016, 05:37:15 AM »

Folks who respond to a well-crafted, well-thought-out post with a vacant "Huh?" Better not to say anything at all, I would have thought.
Huh? J/k. Actually, you're right, it can be annoying. But some can ignore it masterfully or reply in kind. give change, you know.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2016, 01:21:59 AM »

Guilty pleasures, particularly in music. What the heck is a guilty pleasure? Surely either you like something or you don't!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2016, 05:40:36 AM »

Guilty pleasures, particularly in music. What the heck is a guilty pleasure? Surely either you like something or you don't!

I agree completely. So you like something unfashionable, something gauche, something too common? So what!? Stand up for yourselves, people.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2016, 08:00:18 AM »

I always think of the term "guilty pleasures" as things you enjoy despite the fact that they go against your own ethics. Things like (high quality) veal or foie gras for me, though actually I don't really like foie gras but it would be a good example if I did. Or things like delicious cake when you're considering yourself on a no-cake-like-things diet. This can go into music as well: music that in some way represents or forwards a trend or cultural aspect you don't support or that is by an artist you have issues with but, damn, that's a catchy song.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2016, 08:03:06 AM »

That's an aspect I hadn't thought about. Thanks.

I still think it's illegitimate on the music front, because (for example) it's almost certainly the lyrics that would go against one's ethics: a sexist song, for example. But it's not only possible, but common to like one aspect or another about a song, especially if it has lyrics (as opposed to an instrumental work). So it's not hard to separate the part(s) one likes from the part(s) one doesn't.

Especially food-wise, though, that's a really good point.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 17, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »

Ambiguous thread titles. F.ex. "Beautiful". Much as I find CenturyDeprived's thread ideas bonkers, at least they give away what the thread is about. & I look the other way. If the title is "Post your BBs collection", that way I know I don't have to check it as I don't care for it. By process of elimination, I check the topics that I'm really interested in. But these 1 word titles, "This is cool", "I have question" etc. play the trick to make people check it... only to see it's old news, posting of some seen-before video.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2016, 02:15:27 AM »

Energy drinks----the ones in cans which you find dropped mere paces away from a rubbish bin. They should call them apathy drinks.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2016, 02:58:20 AM »

Energy drinks----the ones in cans which you find dropped mere paces away from a rubbish bin. They should call them apathy drinks.
Um, not sure what made you limit it to only that. Anything people threw near the garbage can does count. You talk bizarre. Sometimes I don't get what you say at all, john. But everybody's got quirks.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:20:33 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2016, 03:27:24 AM »

One of my pet peeves is very on-topic in this board: the idea that artistic value is somehow linked to commercial success, when it should be obvious to everybody that they are totally independent variables. Anything can be successful with or without artistic value, ditto unsuccessful.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2016, 03:43:25 AM »

Um, not sure what made you limit it to only that. Anything people threw near the garbage can does count. You talk bizarre. Sometimes I don't get what you say at all, john. But everybody's got quirks.

Obviously I disapprove of all rubbish thus deposited. But the name Energy Drinks is ironic, don't you think? I think so anyway.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2016, 06:49:12 AM »

Obviously I disapprove of all rubbish thus deposited. But the name Energy Drinks is ironic, don't you think? I think so anyway.

Reminds me of a student where I used to work - told everybody that he was going to our gym to work out. Yet he took the elevator (lift) instead of walking up two floors to get there. We razzed him.

Down here, a big problem is people in cars stopping for a red light, opening their windows, and throwing trash out, instead of keeping it until they get to where they are going and throwing it in the can. I used to blow my horn when they did this but am afraid to anymore - road rage is bad here.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »

People chomping and smacking and cracking and popping gum next to me on the train.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2017, 05:20:13 AM »

Down here, a big problem is people in cars stopping for a red light, opening their windows, and throwing trash out, instead of keeping it until they get to where they are going and throwing it in the can. I used to blow my horn when they did this but am afraid to anymore - road rage is bad here.

That's awful. While on the subject of driving, I don't know if it's a worldwide phenomenon but where I live it's the rule (rather than the exception) among drivers that everyone knows which way they're going so why indicate? Roundabouts are the worst places. The general behaviour there would be hilarious if it weren't life-threatening. Not indicating should be made a criminal offence. A stiff fine can work wonders. Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2017, 06:37:12 AM »

That's awful. While on the subject of driving, I don't know if it's a worldwide phenomenon but where I live it's the rule (rather than the exception) among drivers that everyone knows which way they're going so why indicate? Roundabouts are the worst places. The general behaviour there would be hilarious if it weren't life-threatening. Not indicating should be made a criminal offence. A stiff fine can work wonders. Grin
My dad was a deputy sheriff for a rural county when I was a kid. He talked all the time about accidents involving people not signaling or turning into this or that traffic explaining their stupidity along the lines of "well everyone knows I turn here; I always turn here."

(Let me assure you, even in rural areas, everyone does not know everyone else's car, much less driving and turning patterns.)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: