gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:46:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff Beck Calls His Tour with Brian Wilson ‘A Bit of a Nightmare’  (Read 42787 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 07:31:11 AM »

I don't think working with Beck was a bad idea. He genuinely loves the Beach Boys and Surf's Up was a fine template for what could have been. While I appreciate what Ray is posting here and believe that Brian's not a vegetable, I think things can get very slow while he's working in the studio and situations must be adapted to conform to the mood he's having in a certain week. Apparently Jeff is a moody guy on his own, as we've known for 5 decades. Just different moods.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »

Ray, thanks for the insight, especially the story of Brian working at the board. 

That really sheds a new light on his behavior / mannerisms.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »

To be honest I was not around during the recording of the Beach Boys album at all ; I remember Brian fooling with that song in 1998 at the Chicago house at the piano ; I certainly remember the title part, the hook, the tempo, the chord changes and him banging on the piano but that's all. And the next time I heard it was the finished track.  I don't think he wrote much , if any , of the lyrics.

Thanks for your posts in this thread.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the recording of the GIOMH album if you were around at that point.

I was around for the recording of the title track, How Can We Still Be Dancing and City Blues; at Mark Linett's studio; tracks only.  It was fun to observe
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »

IMHO....

you have Jeff Beck, who has admitted to being in awe of Brian and 'The Boys' and a huge fan.....

well there is problem one......... Brian has always worked outside of the box for most of his work..

he doesn't want to work with someone who says, 'tell me Brian what you want'....... Brian wants someone

that has 'ideas'!!!

Yes Jeff may be a great guitar picker.......... well Brian is not a guitarist.......... he's a Piano man....... and has always

worked that way.......... didn't he make a comment somewhere in the past he didn't like a lot of guitars???

but he did like using in his words, 'box guitars' (acoustic's)

and then you put 2 'rock legends' together........ well I think Brian's idea of 'Rock' music is a lot different to probably Jeff's.....

Brian likes 'Spector' and the late 50's rock/doowop period, and the 60's stuff he was working against and listening to....

where as Jeff's music is not that style or influence, so I couldn't imagine Brian owning or knowing much about Jeff's stuff....

but as someone mentioned earlier too, if it were McCartney?  different story..... Carole King?  Bill Flanagan?

Jan Berry? Elton John?  I think the guys would have more in common and more to talk about....

and what does Brian really know about Jeff Beck other than he is a great 'rock' guitarist and is a big Brian Wilson fan???

RickB
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »

IMHO....

you have Jeff Beck, who has admitted to being in awe of Brian and 'The Boys' and a huge fan.....

well there is problem one......... Brian has always worked outside of the box for most of his work..

he doesn't want to work with someone who says, 'tell me Brian what you want'....... Brian wants someone

that has 'ideas'!!!

Yes Jeff may be a great guitar picker.......... well Brian is not a guitarist.......... he's a Piano man....... and has always

worked that way.......... didn't he make a comment somewhere in the past he didn't like a lot of guitars???

and then you put 2 'rock legends' together........ well I think Brian's idea of 'Rock' music is a lot different to probably Jeff's.....

Brian likes 'Spector' and the late 50's rock/doowop period, and the 60's stuff he was working against and listening to....

where as Jeff's music is not that style or influence, so I couldn't imagine Brian owning or knowing much about Jeff's stuff....

but as someone mentioned earlier too, if it were McCartney?  different story..... Carole King?  Bill Flanagan?

Jan Berry? Elton John?  I think the guys would have more in common and more to talk about....

and what does Brian really know about Jeff Beck other than he is a great 'rock' guitarist and is a big Brian Wilson fan???

RickB
Rick, you make some good points.  I can quantify them with an example; the session at Scott's with Carole King was just magical.  The two of them got along famously;they were discussing their songwriting similarities and she was saying she always wanted to be produced by Brian. She was there to sing backgrounds on I'm Into Something Good , but Brian threw everyone a curve ball and had her sing on Good Kind of Love, which she said she liked better than Something Good.  They bounced ideas off each other; amazing to watch.  My #1 and #2 favorite songwriters.  Awesome session. I think Scott may even have some of it on video.  Best moment was the two of them on headphones singing side by side. I just remember thinking " what the hell am I doing here ?"
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »

and I thought afterwards.....

Brian 'Loves!' harmonies and all the 50's jazz era stuff like 'freshmen', 'hi lo's', 'lettermen' 'Del Vikings' 'The Penguins' etc etc

not Hendrix, Clapton and ...... Beck

we have to admit, Brian is someone who lives in the past..... he only listens to the 'oldies' stuff, which is his era, 1950's/60's....

and remember, really, Brian is not the typical 'rock star'....... maybe Beck thought he was a cooler dude to hang out with and share

rock n roll stories or something....... who knows.........

RickB
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:37:47 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »

Jeff Beck's turf was never songwriting. What's so bad about about giving him parts to play?

Listen to this (Syreeta - Cause we've ended now as lovers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWXYc46f8E

And then this (Jeff Beck - Cause We've Ended As Lovers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriEq4H1XSU

Now, the interviews... I think it's alright if he wants to vent about the studio project that fell by the wayside, since he invested his time on it and nothing happened. But what good will come from talking about Brian's mental health? It's not like he should be rescued from a Landy situation and he's not gonna get better at this point, that's where he is now. Bad move by Mr. Geoffrey Arnold Beck.

Very true. I thought it was Mr. Beck who came off badly in the interview. Brian's been nothing but gracious and complementary about the whole thing.

Jeff is a bit of an ass. Always has been - its his track record but I think hes mellowed considerably. He would really be ranting if this happened 30 yrs ago.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »

yeah but while Jeff is good.......... he sure is hell no Brian Wilson!!! either!

he is still just a drop in the large puddle........ and I do like Jeff's playin (as a guitar player), BUT!  Brian calibre he ain't....

RickB
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2014, 06:05:44 PM »

Best moment was the two of them on headphones singing side by side. I just remember thinking " what the hell am I doing here ?"

Huh Thats what I want to know!

Should have been me at that session, not you. I know enough about music I could have added my input and you just sat there soaking it all in!
Just damn.

btw- thanks for the great posts to the thread  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »

Best moment was the two of them on headphones singing side by side. I just remember thinking " what the hell am I doing here ?"

Should have been me at that session, not you. I know enough about music I could have added my input and you just sat there soaking it all in!
Just damn.

The whole idea is to be able to not to try and add input ; I figured between the two of them they must have sold 100 million records and I have sold exactly none ! But as usual there was one classic Brian moment...he was teaching Carole one of the background harmonic parts and abruptly stopped and said: " wait, no , that's Ray's part " !   I think they needed a spatula to get me off the floor...but I had the common sense to say "Brian, you have Carole King in the room, she can sing that part , for f...ks sake ". And that was that ! Absolutely true
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »

Just damn.

The whole idea is to be able to not to try and add input ; I figured between the two of them they must have sold 100 million records and I have sold exactly none ! But as usual there was one classic Brian moment...he was teaching Carole one of the background harmonic parts and abruptly stopped and said: " wait, no , that's Ray's part " !   I think they needed a spatula to get me off the floor...but I had the common sense to say "Brian, you have Carole King in the room, she can sing that part , for f...ks sake ". And that was that ! Absolutely true

ShockedSmiley

Necessity knows no law
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »

IMHO....

that has 'ideas'!!!

but as someone mentioned earlier too, if it were McCartney?  different story..... Carole King?  Bill Flanagan?

Jan Berry? Elton John?  I think the guys would have more in common and more to talk about....

RickB
Rick, you make some good points.  I can quantify them with an example; the session at Scott's with Carole King was just magical.  The two of them got along famously;they were discussing their songwriting similarities and she was saying she always wanted to be produced by Brian. She was there to sing backgrounds on I'm Into Something Good , but Brian threw everyone a curve ball and had her sing on Good Kind of Love, which she said she liked better than Something Good.  They bounced ideas off each other; amazing to watch.  My #1 and #2 favorite songwriters.  Awesome session. I think Scott may even have some of it on video.  Best moment was the two of them on headphones singing side by side. I just remember thinking " what the hell am I doing here ?"

hey Ray.....

I think you said it well.....

Brian and Scott........

well Scott is a music fan but as admitted, he did know all of Brian's treasures and did not worship him as a 'fan' so to speak.....

I think he says that in the Smile DVD somewhere.......

and as we have, like Brian and Van Dyke, the Brian and Scotty Bennett work paid off great....  

right down to the home studio setup that obviously made Brian comfortable and probably not having Scott say 'hey Bri, let's try

and do this Beach Boys thing'.........

I don't know, but I do go by the interviews by the foiks around Brian and Brian himself..

and as they say 'opposite's attract'.......... which has Always worked for Brian Wilson..

RickB
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:59:49 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »

At the M&G, Brian actually didn't even turn around when a young teenage girl cried from being in his presence. He didn't even move or blink.

Jeff was very nice, and at least said hi to me.

I don't think Brian is fit to tour.

Jason
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »

Well, Jeff Beck is about to be classified right above Michael Love in the "assholes" department.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »

I think what it comes down to is Brian's just hard to work with.  One of the reasons I can't hate on Mike... I don't even know if I've ever read Mike being as blunt as Jeff Beck is in this little snippet.  If you've ever been around someone who's very socially awkward, it's kind of off putting.  I don't think Brian means to come off that way and it's different with everybody... and he probably really does respect Jeff and enjoy his music, but for whatever reason he just couldn't give Beck the time of day.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »

At the M&G, Brian actually didn't even turn around when a young teenage girl cried from being in his presence. He didn't even move or blink.

Maybe that kind of reaction freaks Brian out and withdrawing is his way of dealing with it?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »

and I thought afterwards.....

Brian 'Loves!' harmonies and all the 50's jazz era stuff like 'freshmen', 'hi lo's', 'lettermen' 'Del Vikings' 'The Penguins' etc etc

not Hendrix, Clapton and ...... Beck

we have to admit, Brian is someone who lives in the past..... he only listens to the 'oldies' stuff, which is his era, 1950's/60's....

and remember, really, Brian is not the typical 'rock star'....... maybe Beck thought he was a cooler dude to hang out with and share

rock n roll stories or something....... who knows.........

RickB

You mean Brian is someone who lives further in the past than Jeff Beck? Beck might draw on different music from the past than Brian does = though some of it it is obviously the same.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2014, 12:32:22 AM »

IMHO....

that has 'ideas'!!!

RickB
Rick, you make some good points.

Actually, he makes a lot of points........ a LOT of points! .......... Grin

Sorry, couldn't resist. Roll Eyes Back to the real discussion.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »

the session at Scott's with Carole King was just magical.  The two of them got along famously;they were discussing their songwriting similarities and she was saying she always wanted to be produced by Brian. She was there to sing backgrounds on I'm Into Something Good , but Brian threw everyone a curve ball and had her sing on Good Kind of Love, which she said she liked better than Something Good.  They bounced ideas off each other; amazing to watch.  My #1 and #2 favorite songwriters.  Awesome session. I think Scott may even have some of it on video.  Best moment was the two of them on headphones singing side by side. I just remember thinking " what the hell am I doing here ?"

Are there any interviews with Carole King where she talks about working with Brian? Sounds like her impression of BW would be much more positive than Beck's.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2014, 07:56:19 AM »

I read something similar when someone approached him at a restaurant. Nada! But later he/ she realized they had spoken to him on his deaf side. Maybe it was the case here. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2014, 08:17:50 AM »

Brian is what he is: I've been in his company when he's a relaxed and hugely funny guy, and I've seen him very obviously wanting to be somewhere, anywhere else, and zoning out. And yes, some of it is a put on, even now. There's a lot of talk about the people who have manipulated Brian down the years, from Murry to Joe Thomas via Mike, Landy & Melinda (to name just the five names most often cited, rightly or not), but he's no mean manipulator himself. Am I denying there's also a considerable degree of damage ? No, of course not: just that, as with the rest of the BB cosmos, nothing is ever black and white, more 500 shades of gray.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »

I read something similar when someone approached him at a restaurant. Nada! But later he/ she realized they had spoken to him on his deaf side. Maybe it was the case here. 

Yes, when my brother and I met Brian backstage in 2005, Brian was walking to the tour bus, and my brother was on his right, trying to get Brian's attention, and almost got trampled on (Brian's a very tall guy, as we know). I reminded my brother that Brian's deaf in one ear.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »

Brian is what he is: I've been in his company when he's a relaxed and hugely funny guy, and I've seen him very obviously wanting to be somewhere, anywhere else, and zoning out. And yes, some of it is a put on, even now. There's a lot of talk about the people who have manipulated Brian down the years, from Murry to Joe Thomas via Mike, Landy & Melinda (to name just the five names most often cited, rightly or not), but he's no mean manipulator himself. Am I denying there's also a considerable degree of damage ? No, of course not: just that, as with the rest of the BB cosmos, nothing is ever black and white, more 500 shades of gray.

Exactly, precisely and exactly some more.

And though it's nitpicking, I would point out that -- based on publicly available sources -- Murry and Landy are at one end of a spectrum, and Mike, Joe and Melinda are at another. There's a difference between pressuring someone to make artistically debatable choices and physically abusing him.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »

Brian is a loner who just wants to be left alone, people will never understand that

He's an introvert in a extrovertes business
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:01:25 PM by Aren't You Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »

Brian is a loner who just wants to be left alone, people will never understand that

I hope he likes kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx