gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:44:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Brian Wilson Review That Lucky Old Sun  (Read 8301 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »

Brian Wilson That Lucky Old Sun

Brian mentioned in an interview that the Smile tour that began in 2004 really got his creative juices flowing. There is definitely a similarity in the way that Smile and That Lucky Old Sun flow together. Most of all, to me, Brian seems more emotionally into it than Imaginations or Gettin in Over My Head. His voice is the best it has been in over 25 years in my opinion. This is a concept album based around the title song. Several songs Brian collaborated with band member Scott Bennett. Brian's Smile collaborator, Van Dyke Parks, also wrote lyrics for the spoken word sections of the album. I believe That Lucky Old Sun will only grow in reputation over time. I feel that Brian has created a masterpiece once again.

THAT LUCKY OLD SUN (Released Sept 2008)

1. That Luck Old Sun (Gillespie/Smith)                                                         8
2. Morning Beat (Wilson/Bennett)                                                                7
3. Room With a View (Wilson/Parks)                                                          10
4. Good Kind of Love (Wilson)                                                                     9
5. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl (Wilson/Bennett)                                       9
6. Venice Beach (Wilson/Parks)                                                                   10
7. Live Let Live/That Lucky Old Sun-reprise (Wilson/Parks-Gillespie/Smith)     10
8. Mexican Girl (Wilson/Bennett)                                                                  6
9. Cinco De Mayo (Wilson/Parks)                                                                 10
10. California Role/That Lucky Old Sun - reprise (Wilson/Bennett-Gillespie/Smith)      8
11. Between Pictures (Wilson/Parks)                                                            10         
12. Oxygen to the Brain (Wilson/Bennett)                                                      9
13. Can't Wait Too Long (Wilson)                                                                 8
14. Midnight's Another Day (Wilson/Bennett)                                               10
15. That Lucky Old Sun-reprise (Gillespie/Smith)                                          8
16. Going Home (Wilson/Bennett)                                                               8
17. Southern California (Wilson/Bennett)                                                    9

Album average:                                                                                     8.8

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:07:06 AM »

Generally, I like this album. Not as much as 88, though the production is clearly better.

The spoken doggerel, I can take or leave. Really don't like Goin' Home or Mexican Girl or Oxygen to the Brain.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

The spoken word and reprises are essentially filler. Without them the record wouldn't be a full length.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »

The spoken word and reprises are essentially filler. Without them the record wouldn't be a full length.

I'd too thought about this before. In my mind TLOS always seemed like a really long album but then one day I finally tallied it up and figured out there's really only ten "full songs" and honestly, it does seem a bit short, and in reality kinda weak, as I think stuff like "Mexican Girl" and "California Role" is a bit cheesy, and a few of the other songs just kinda underdeveloped.

I suppose when you add in all the bonus tracks though it becomes a bit more substantial.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:54:28 PM »

I'd too thought about this before. In my mind TLOS always seemed like a really long album but then one day I finally tallied it up and figured out there's really only ten "full songs" and honestly, it does seem a bit short, and in reality kinda weak, as I think stuff like "Mexican Girl" and "California Role" is a bit cheesy, and a few of the other songs just kinda underdeveloped.

I suppose when you add in all the bonus tracks though it becomes a bit more substantial.
It is interesting with the Brian narration. Strong feelings.  I enjoy it because for so long we didn't hear from Brian, so it was like a long-gone friend returning from a journey.  And of the work, I like the Wilson/Bennett stuff best.  He seemed to really get into "The Beach Boys zone" during C50, and seems that he is a real fan, as well. 

TLOS is Brian's story of The Beach Boys.  It was a real treat to see it live.   Wink
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »

My favorite tracks are California Role and Oxygen, don't care for Mexican Girl.  Who actually produced this album?
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »

I love this album, I do. My favourite solo album by Brian after BW88, and I was thrilled by the Van Dyke participation.

For me, the spoken interludes are colourful and vibrant and fresh and keep the album rolling along simply and beautifully.

(Only one track I usually skip, 'Morning Beat', of which I find the melody a bit sluggish.)

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »

When someone mentions length of an album, it's purely subjective. An album can be too long, but rarely too short. regardless...

38:01 Full LP
32:25 10 Song LP

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »

I gave the spoken words high marks because the sum is better than it's parts. The Lucky Old Sun sections and Been Too Long are great, but I tend to grade down on covers or old songs. But they all work well together.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »

I gave the spoken words high marks because the sum is better than it's parts. The Lucky Old Sun sections and Been Too Long are great, but I tend to grade down on covers or old songs. But they all work well together.

Exactly - they give the album the perfect imagery that it needs. TLOS is a story of California, and VDPs words seem to fit right in.

I really hope that Brian does more concept albums like this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »

The endearing thing about the spoken interludes, at least to me, is that no matter how many times I've heard them, it always sounds like he's seeing them for the very first time as he reads them,  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 01:52:40 AM »

I don't mind Brian's reading, I just find the words a little forced.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:17:30 AM »

Was a really nice album when it came out! I wish the lyrics to "Goin' Home" weren't as cliched, the "turned out the light" bit makes me cringe. The low points for me are "Forever..." and "California Role" whereas I absolutely love "The Good Kind of Love" and the "I'm Into Something Good" cover. Don't mind the narrative bits, should've been read out by Parks instead, however. Anyway, this was so much better than stuff like the Christmas album. Like urbanite, I'd like to know who actually (co-) produced the album.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 05:30:58 AM »

Definitely more than the sum of its parts, but some of it goes a bit runny... even the songs I like have parts I'm not entirely sure about.

Once the bonus songs are included - Message Man, for example - things look up enormously.

There are issues with the sequencing and selection of material. The original version of Live Let Live should have gone in. So a reworked TLOS for me would be

That Lucky Old Sun      
Morning Beat
Between Pictures      
Oxygen To The Brain   
Can't Wait Too Long   
Venice Beach   
Live Let Live/That Lucky Old Sun (Reprise)                  
Good Kind Of Love         
Midnight's Another Day      
That Lucky Old Sun (Reprise)   
Just Like Me And You            
I'm Into Something Good    
Message Man
Southern California   

but even with this, there are bits which are a little bit sketchy. so it goes...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:37:40 AM »

Really don't like Goin' Home or Mexican Girl or Oxygen to the Brain.
Agree about Mexican Girl, not really into the whole Spanish guitars/mariachi thing. Others, though, are great, Oxygen to the Brain especially very charming.

Re I'm into Something Good, it'd be nice without Carole King. Don't like her voice at all which is a shame given Tapestry is a strong album, from musical standpoint. Herman's Hermits is classic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »

I think the weaknesses on here are some Mike Love ish lyrics "Forever you'll be my surfer girl" and the part about "singing with my brothers supporting each other" tries to be a touching moment, but comes off a little cheesey. But I am willing to over look bad lyrics if the music is good. Like "California Girls"  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:32:11 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:21 AM »

I think the weaknesses on here are some Mike Love fish lyrics "Forever you'll be my surfer girl" and the part about "singing with my brothers supporting each other" tries to be a touching moment, but comes off a little cheesey. But I am willing to over look bad lyrics if the music is good. Like "California Girls"  Smiley
No cheese, here, in my opinion with the "singing with my brothers..." I think it makes it so real that Brian does articulate that theme.  It is a family-based band with that commonality of experiences.  It is the dynamic. Oldest-achiever, middle-child (syndrome) and baby of the family.  And powerful images of the brothers, on the screen as they performed it live. 

Too bad, Mike didn't do the lyrics. He is the best!

But, great as a solo project and Bennett did a good job. 

Glad you started the discussion on this one and GIOMH.   Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »

I think the weaknesses on here are some Mike Love fish lyrics "Forever you'll be my surfer girl" and the part about "singing with my brothers supporting each other" tries to be a touching moment, but comes off a little cheesey. But I am willing to over look bad lyrics if the music is good. Like "California Girls"  Smiley

Gotta love someone who gives Mike a kicking for lyrics he didn't write.

No... wait... no, you don't, because it's pure, 100%, undiluted Bloo mentality at work. Dumb, dumber and dumberest. Seriously, that's about the flatout dumbest comment I've read here that wasn't by OSD or one of his lackeys. Think I'll take to blaming Brian for the global economic crisis. Seems fair to me...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:42:45 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »

I don't think it is that bad of a comment, MTR is just saying the song has lyrics in the cheesy Mike Love style.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »

I think that it would have been more interesting if Van Dyke did the spoken parts and make it  a Wilson/Parks cd.....
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »

I think the weaknesses on here are some Mike Love fish lyrics "Forever you'll be my surfer girl" and the part about "singing with my brothers supporting each other" tries to be a touching moment, but comes off a little cheesey. But I am willing to over look bad lyrics if the music is good. Like "California Girls"  Smiley

Gotta love someone who gives Mike a kicking for lyrics he didn't write.

No... wait... no, you don't, because it's pure, 100%, undiluted Bloo mentality at work. Dumb, dumber and dumberest. Seriously, that's about the flatout dumbest comment I've read here that wasn't by OSD or one of his lackeys. Think I'll take to blaming Brian for the global economic crisis. Seems fair to me...

A mistype there. Fish was suppose to be ish.  I didn't mean Mike wrote the lyrics, I meant that there are moments that remind me of something he would write.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »

I want to point out that Mike has written good lyrics as well. Warmth of the Sun, Good Vibrations, Let the Wind Blow and Big Sure to name a few. And Brian has written some awful lyrics on Love You and other post 70s songs.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »

Not criticizing this thread, but the place where it was posted bothers me:

Are we going to flood the main board with review threads? There is a full section of this messageboard dedicated specifically to album reviews. Just saying. Sad

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »

The only spoken word piece that works for me is "Cinco De Mayo", I think that's pretty cool, the rest sucks.

I love this album, wore the cd out when it first got released.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »

Not criticizing this thread, but the place where it was posted bothers me:

Are we going to flood the main board with review threads? There is a full section of this messageboard dedicated specifically to album reviews. Just saying. Sad

At least it has people talking about the music. Better than talking about Paul McCartney surely.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx