-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Anxiety, Fear, Panic Attacks, OCD
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anxiety, Fear, Panic Attacks, OCD  (Read 14240 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »

Does anyone here suffer from these afflictions? If so, is it something you care to discuss? Sometimes it is based on reality, but often a "worst-case scenario" distortion of reality.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »

Without medication I suffer from heightened anxiety. Untreated I'm prone to imagine nasty, worse case scenarios, overthink them to the point were I'm living in total dread. Reality become a paranoid, bleak mess. I envy people who can look on the bright side no matter what life throws at them.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:11:08 AM »

Without medication I suffer from heightened anxiety. Untreated I'm prone to imagine nasty, worse case scenarios, overthink them to the point were I'm living in total dread. Reality become a paranoid, bleak mess. I envy people who can look on the bright side no matter what life throws at them.

Yes!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:45:55 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »

I've been diagnosed with panic disorder, but have the symptoms under control MOST of the time.  I've always dealt with heightened anxiety, but in early 2006, it went to a new level, requiring 4 years of counseling and experimenting with various meds.  Unfortunately, I'm also hyper-sensitive to the effects of medication which can make this tricky.  Additionally, I suffer from IBS (more recently diagnosed, 2012) which is exacerbated by anxiety.

An unfortunate result of all of this is that I don't travel much to avoid panic AND IBS attacks.  Vacations are pretty much out for me; eating at restaurants is a hassle.  Going to concerts takes an amazing amount of willpower and has physical and emotional ramifications.  I did fight through it to make it to Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck and M&B last fall though.   Grin

And, proving that these things are unique to individuals, the primary function of my vocation is public-speaking and that doesn't cause me anxiety at all.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:46:40 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »

I'll share.  Nortriptyline (tricyclic antidepressant), propranalol (beta blocker.  I don't have high blood pressure but this works to take the edge off of anxiety), and Xanax (for when I expect it to be very bad).

I went through a number of the SSRIs and the side effects were not tolerable for me.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:47:02 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:41:36 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »

I take 20 mgs of Lexapro per day. Had been on maintenance dose of 10 mgs but went back to 20. 2 Gabapentin tabs per day of I believe 300 mgs for anxiety reduction. Gabapentin can be abused but I am sticking with 1 or 2 per day. The 10mgs of Lexapro did not affect my libido but the 20mgs certainly do. Living with it.

I have been a federal employee since 1992, accounts payable. (Majored in history so that makes perfect sense.) Had been in same section for 8 years. The comfort zone became a rut. In March they offered a "Developmental Detail" program where one could move to another area for a one year detail. Without any panic or fear, I volunteered. When I got the e-mail telling me I had been accepted for the detail (others as well) the panic, fear, and anxiety took hold. That was April 12. Thought about backing out but did not. Now I am starting the detail in accounts receivable. What seemed like a good idea for change has become a cloud of terrible anxiety. Granted, the process has just started, things may calm down, but I have been a mess.

From about April 10-20 I thought I was having a nervous breakdown, but that darkness may be past.

Maybe this is a midlife crisis. 21 years anywhere can seem a bit much. To be honest, I wouldn't mind spending the summer cutting grass for a living.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:16:34 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »

Meditation, prayer, exercise, active engagement with others, fresh air, sunlight - these are all good therapy and they are free to boot. Side effects all good.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:34:51 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:15:59 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »

I replied to Moon Dawg via PM. but I'll share it here:

Starting about 3 years ago, my wife has had about 4 panic attacks, 3 of which have put her in the hospital emergency room. Blood pressure goes through the roof, she goes from cold to hot and she wants to shed all her clothes which feel restrictive and intrusive and just crazy things go on in her head. Otherwise, she's had C-scans and other xrays and all have come out negative. She even went to the Chiro and she felt pretty good after that. So after this fourth time, which happened a couple of months ago, the doctor prescribed her with a drug called Alprazolam. When she feels an attack coming on, she takes one tablet and she describes the side-effect of it as an earthquake with aftershocks in her body. She also recommends taking a walk every day. So far, so good.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »

Bizarre symptom. Care to explain? Better don't, seems like you accidentally posted here instead of music thread. Carry on. police
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:42:25 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »

Meditation, prayer, exercise, active engagement with others, fresh air, sunlight - these are all good therapy and they are free to boot. Side effects all good.
This is true.

Things go in waves.  So I know there's a healthy balance to all this.  Right now, the pendulum has swung towards "take a pill."  These chemicals are very strong and extremely untested -- my opinion.  Don't be afraid and ashamed of who you are.  Go crazy and think of others.

I think we've all seen reports/stories/etc about how our kids (and many adults) are all on something -- for depression, ADHD, anxiety etc.  To me... these kill your eccentricities.  Fck normalcy.  You must find a way to be happy with who you are.  You're not normal.  Thank God!  You're not wrong.  You're right.  Take the pads off.  Learn.  This obsession with making everyone the same is a hoax.  Rainbows and unicorn bullsh-t.  We're becoming a nation of psychopaths.  Pansies.  Afraid of failure.

Have a trophy for doing the least about nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Nobel_Peace_Prize
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:56:25 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »

I've been on Nortriptyline for well over a year now, for frequent severe migraines. It's done wonders for that, but nothing on the anxiety front (didn't even know it was prescribed for that). Nothing for anxiety. I'm just waiting it out until I'm an adult, hopefully it will iron itself out by then.

My nortriptyline was not prescribed for anxiety, but I suspect it affects it one way or the other.  Sometimes I think it might exacerbate anxiety.  Like you, I had it prescribed for pain (in my case, abdominal pain).
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »

If you're a pot smoker, definitely cut that sh*t out if you have anxiety. Cut way back on alcohol consumption as well if you're drinking more than a few times per week.

Otherwise, just exercise all the damn time, mostly cardio stuff, hikes, runs, walks & jogs.

Look into some nootropic supplements, they're available without a prescription, but you'll probably have to find them online. Certain ones are better for anxiety than others, but  they all seem relatively benign substances. Noopept and aniracetam are the two I've heard work well, do some research I have no personal anecdotal evidence for myself.

Take fish oil, a capsule or two a day more than the recommended doses on the bottle, omega-3s work wonders on that fatty mass inside your head. Or eat lots of non-farm raised fish, tho most fish oils are purified of mercury to a few parts per million; something that can't be done with a filet or lil shrimpy.

Try to eat a balanced diet overall, lots of vegetables, a lot of green leafy ones.

When all else fails, hit up the doc for some of that mind-numbing sh*t they provide.

No mas, por favor.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »

Kirby Triple Deluxe came out today.

I'm sick.

This morning my mom was trying to help me feel better and was being very nice to me.

She asked me if she could do anything and I said no.

I threw up but stayed at school, I texted her asking if she could go get the game, I needed a few bucks more but I was basically covered and was gonna be in bed so it'd come in handy.

She said sure and told me she'd get it.

I felt so bad about the whole thing all day like I don't deserve it and I'm greedy and should I tell her no or just get it. Would it make me stop doing work for school or studying.

She never got it, so I just sat and thought about it and how I wish I'd never wanted it.

I got sick again and laid in bed and watched Return of the Jedi.

I thought about recording but was too mixed up to focus and stayed in bed.

I'm posting this from my room. I still haven't told my mom she forgot, I don't want her to feel bad.

A friend of mine has a cousin who I have a thing for. I told her cousin I liked my friend and then we got really close and now this.

She found out I like someone besides her cousin (my friend) and she doesn't know it's actually her.

She's mad at me.

My other friend who used to be with me but we ended up being friends with benefits is giving me advice on the situation which I clearly ignore.

I have an APUSH exam coming up, I'm not afraid but I'm worried I won't do as well as my twin and I'll be less again.

I also have a failing grade, sure I have literally 100% in every other class, but this teacher decided to make a point and assign things behind my back to sabotage me.

I'm really worried about the game. I want to play it but what about school. My mom didn't get it and now I'm afraid I never will.

I want to watch Phantom Menace even though it sucks but I don't know if I'll finish, then what.

I could play another game, but then I'd just think about things.

My friends keep texting me but I don't wanna talk because if I say something wrong then what.

Now I want to buy something on amazon but what if my dad doesn't see that I used my paypal balance and thinks it was his and gets angry.

I don't wanna sleep, I had a fever dream last night and I heard the melody I've been looking for in a song but can't remember it.

If my math teacher checks my homework I didn't do it and that grade will drop, then I could get yelled at.

Mario Kart 8 comes out on the 30th. What if my dad forgot my pre-order and wonders where the money went on amazon.

My phone isn't charged enough for tomorrow but the chargers not in my room and if I go to get it my mom will remember she forgot the game.

I wasn't like this yesterday, why am I like it today. Are my ears worse then yesterday I can't tell.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

FatherOfTheMan in:

THE LIFE OF A TEENAGER
Playing everywhere near you.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »

FatherOfTheMan, do you know this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6pGl0J5MdE

I'm a sucker for Mario Kart myself.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »

Everything makes me anxious, had several of what I believe to be panic attacks. Things that are supposed to be totally stress-free and fun end up being terrifying due to so many unknowns, and I just over-think it like crazy. I often don't contribute to group conversations due to anxiety, just follow around like a dead weight.

I've been on Nortriptyline for well over a year now, for frequent severe migraines. It's done wonders for that, but nothing on the anxiety front (didn't even know it was prescribed for that). Nothing for anxiety. I'm just waiting it out until I'm an adult, hopefully it will iron itself out by then.

Zach my man, you should go to the doctor and talk to them - they can maybe alter your medication in light of your anxiety (i assume from your post they didn't know about it and just prescribed based on the migraines (which are THE FUCKING WORST, RIGHT)). You shouldn't have to 'wait out' anxiety when you can treat it now. Why deny yourself that?

As for myself, I started manifesting anxiety/depression etc after losing my job in January, the most debilitating effect being extreme insomnia (also getting really freaked out crossing the road isn't great living in a big city..) . I am on medication now (Mirtazapine) which has helped considerably.

Also, in general the taking care of yourself angle is a good one - eat healthily as best you can, get outside, etc.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »

FatherOfTheMan, do you know this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6pGl0J5MdE

I'm a sucker for Mario Kart myself.

Of course! 64 and Double Dash were my personal favorites, and 8 looks to be in the vein of those two in particular.

Oh, and as a "teenager" I'd like to ask you to respectfully agree to disagree with my diagnosis, as there's a lot more
to the story that I clearly wouldn't like to share online. f*** it  Imagine having deeper issues underneath the teeny-sugar coated sh*t.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:17:46 PM by FatherOfTheMan (Vito Salutation) » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »

I was merely making a point that what you're describing is typical of teenagers.
Besides, I don't know if you know anything of the DSM 5 (which is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), but that and the previous edition (the DSM-IV) have become so broad, that diagnoses of mental disorders have skyrocketed. Practically anyone (especially troubled teenagers) can be turned into a person with some sort of defect due to the incredibly broad nature of the book's diagnostic tools and characteristics. These days, the books mainly seem as just a way to peddle medications to anyone who's willing to take them.

We've all been where you are.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:04:31 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »

FatherOfTheMan in:

THE LIFE OF A TEENAGER
Playing everywhere near you.

I wasn't aware that all teenagers were mocked by a long time friend and her group of friends relentlessly for denying her sexual advances because he wasn't ready or secure enough to be safe for her sake and has had deep issues with sex and abuse from many years of asshole peers which then led to being completely cheated on by the second person I decided to trust who consequently sent me videos of her cheating on me just because it made her laugh and feel good while I dealed with the absolute mental breakdown of watching an empire of emotion and feeling crumble further pushing those dark memories into my psyche making the teenage landscape of YOLO assholes who f*** for fun grating to my mental health and essentially causing schizophrenic sounds and visualizations.

Or to put it simply, someone with a mental disorder can tell you straight up that it makes everyday life even shittier and even watching a TV show can rip you apart let alone the jungle known as High School.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »

When your best friend and romantic partner of 3 years makes you WATCH her destroy your heart for physical pleasure, I'll let you tell me I'm "normal".

I'm not trying to be more than what I am, It's just so many people hold the same view as you, yet everyone I know my age that is on medication has some type of
background that only escalates the everyday bullshit that you clearly understand. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: