gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:38:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A "Wild(er) Honey" in W-I-D-E Stereo  (Read 22494 times)
SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »

One of my favorite Beach Boys songs, Wild Honey in my opinion has never been properly mixed into stereo.  Like Good Vibrations, it finally got its "official" stereo release in 2012 and was a terrible disappointment.  Narrow, shrill and compressed, it sounded to me more like reprocessed (aka "fake") stereo than the real thing.  Using the available session recordings from the SOT boot "Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 19", I managed to extract 8 distinct tracks: lead vocal, backing vocals, piano, organ, guitar, theremin, drums, and bongos (only the tambourine could not be isolated - here it remains locked up with the guitar).  Remixing the song from scratch with a wide-stereo 60's-era separation, I tried to remain faithful to the original mono single's arrangement while revealing many interesting details previously buried in that dense 1967 mix - (hopefully) much like what was done on the Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack remix album in 1999.  Comments and suggestions will be most welcome!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1pova4dqsqx277/Wild%20Honey%20%28Wide%20Stereo%20Mix%20by%20JBeneven%29.wav

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:54:46 AM »

Fascinating that you could extract those distinct track! I think your mix is well balanced. Only those acoustic guitar fills sound like they don't belong, you know, the ones that are a bit closer to the middle but change position with each strum.

Say... can you isolate vocal tracks from complete mixes too? You know, like from BWPS tracks such as Holidays and Song For Children?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:11:37 AM »

Thanks for this, very interesting!
Would you be willing to share the isolated instruments tracks too?  I would love to play around with them myself.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:40:50 AM »

Pretty good...but the drums should be louder! Smiley
Also, you don't mention the bass in your list of discrete track elements...and there's little of it in the mix - how come?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:26:22 AM »

Interesting, and way better done than most of these fan mixes... but it's very light on the bottom end.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »

I like the wide, wide stereo, but c-man and Andrew are right--drums and bass are just way too muffled here. Also it sounds like Carl's lead needs to be more upfront and panned more to the center.

I think you're definitely on the right track here (sorry for that bad pun!). Seriously, a great stereo mix of WH is worth as much tweaking as you're willing to give it...
zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:16:49 PM by zatch » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »

Fascinating that you could extract those distinct track! I think your mix is well balanced. Only those acoustic guitar fills sound like they don't belong, you know, the ones that are a bit closer to the middle but change position with each strum.
Nice job, main criticism is the jagged-sounding acoustic guitar bits shifting from left to right.

I thought that shifting the guitar fills between both channels made it sound more interesting and dynamic, but perhaps it's a bit too gimmicky.  What do the others think?

Thanks for this, very interesting!
Would you be willing to share the isolated instruments tracks too?  I would love to play around with them myself.

If you'd like, I'll prepare a "Wild Honey Toolkit" in the next few days containing the raw extracted instruments and vocals.

Pretty good...but the drums should be louder! Smiley
Also, you don't mention the bass in your list of discrete track elements...and there's little of it in the mix - how come?
Interesting, and way better done than most of these fan mixes... but it's very light on the bottom end.

Definitely a problem I have to address.  Unfortunately, there was no bass part to extract.  I think they EQ'd the guitar and/or the piano to create a greater bottom end in the original mix.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I like the wide, wide stereo, but c-man and Andrew are right--drums and bass are just way too muffled here. Also it sounds like Carl's lead needs to be more upfront and panned more to the center.
I think you're definitely on the right track here (sorry for that bad pun!). Seriously, a great stereo mix of WH is worth as much tweaking as you're willing to give it...

Carl's lead vocals ARE centered, and at approximately the same level as the original mix.  I'll go back to my reference sources (1990 and 2001 Two-Fers, 1993 GV Box, 50 Big Ones and MIC) and see whether you're right about the level.  I've spent a lot of time on this mix and would like to get it as good as possible.  Thanks for the suggestions!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:25:23 PM by SloopJohnB52 » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:19 AM »

I really like it! Gives it a different feel... I don't mind the constantly shifting guitar too much, though it is a bit gimmicky and could be a more fluent. A toolkit would be lovely.  Grin

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:45:38 PM »

Nice one sloopjohnB52 ! So youre doing the next BB project  Grin Keep them coming
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »

I agree with every comment made here, with the exception of the one about Carl's vocal--that sounds just fine to my ears. 

Man, if you can crank up some bass, and stabilize that wandering guitar, you've got a winner here!  I love that wide stereo, and I wish the 2012 mixes were more like that!  Thanks for sharing this!
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »

Nice job! Hearing the various parts more discretely really brought a new found appreciation for the song. So many nuances that were previously buried in the mix - it clarifies the musicianship and quality that was more easily missed (at least for me) in the original mix.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »

Don't care for the back and forth between channels stuff. Just keep everything fixed. Wide channel sounds good!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »

While on the topic of things going back and forth, does anyone else think the tambourine in the "she don't know" section in You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone would benefit from alternating channels? I just find that refrain, lyrically and musically has a purposed sense of confusion about it and if the tambourine was mixed to have an unsettled home in the stereo spectrum, it would have really driven that feeling of unsureness home.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »

I thought that shifting the guitar fills between both channels made it sound more interesting and dynamic, but perhaps it's a bit too gimmicky.  What do the others think?

Personally I like it, and I think it provides dynamics

If you'd like, I'll prepare a "Wild Honey Toolkit" in the next few days containing the raw extracted instruments and vocals.

I'd absolutely love that!  Thank you in advance!
Also, what kind of technique did you use for the extractions?

SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 11:54:13 PM »

Also, what kind of technique did you use for the extractions?

I got very good results with little or no artifacts using the Center Channel Extractor in Adobe Audition 3.0

SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »

The Wild Honey "Toolkit" contains all the raw extractions with no pitch or tempo correction and no added effects.
(Note: the guitar required two extractions, the first yielding guitar plus full percussion, and the second suppressing the drums & bongos. The tambourine could not be isolated)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9m39qgc5yr8eyuu/Wild_Honey_Extractions.zip

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »

Amazing! Thanks.  Rock!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »

Loved it....thanks for working it out!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Natural E
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 04:29:14 AM »

A very enjoyable listen. And thanks for the toolkit!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 05:23:01 AM »

The Wild Honey "Toolkit" contains all the raw extractions with no pitch or tempo correction and no added effects.
(Note: the guitar required two extractions, the first yielding guitar plus full percussion, and the second suppressing the drums & bongos. The tambourine could not be isolated)

Thank you so much!  They are very clean, great job!  I'm gonna have so much fun with these!!   Grin

I made a quick mix with those tracks, what do you all think?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20483729/BB/Beach%20Boys%20-%20Wild%20Honey%20%28STE%20mix%20v1.0%29.mp3

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »

Thank you so much!  They are very clean, great job!  I'm gonna have so much fun with these!!   Grin

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20483729/BB/Beach%20Boys%20-%20Wild%20Honey%20%28STE%20mix%20v1.0%29.mp3
I like how the track sounds, but Carl's lead and Mike's backup vocals are way too far out front. Good job, nonetheless. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »

Thank you so much!  They are very clean, great job!  I'm gonna have so much fun with these!!   Grin

Pretty good, considering  how little time it took for you to complete it!
Comparing it to the released mono version, the tempo is a bit slow and the pitch needs to be tweeked.  The theremin definitely needs some reverb to match the original mix.  I like the vocals being louder than on mine.

I'm working on a new mix which will have an improved bottom end, stabilized guitar fills, and more up front vocals.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »

I like how the track sounds, but Carl's lead and Mike's backup vocals are way too far out front. Good job, nonetheless. Smiley

Thanks!
Mike's vocals are loud and up front on purpose, I always loved his little part and I wanted it to be more audible.
About Carl's, yes I could try to make it sit in the mix better.  Thanks!

Pretty good, considering  how little time it took for you to complete it!
Comparing it to the released mono version, the tempo is a bit slow and the pitch needs to be tweeked.  The theremin definitely needs some reverb to match the original mix.  I like the vocals being louder than on mine.

I'm working on a new mix which will have an improved bottom end, stabilized guitar fills, and more up front vocals.

Thanks!
Ah, forgot to mention that I'm not using the original mix as reference. I'm simply doing a mix that sounds good to me.
But yes, good point about reverb on the theremin.

Yeah, I also plan to stabilize the guitar fills, as at the moment they are very quick & dirty.
I increased tempo and pitch of 2% cause sounded good to me but I have actually not compared it to the original at all.  What % should it be increased to match the original?

But thanks again for the multi-tracks!
If they would only release a bunch of songs in multi-track format...    Roll Eyes

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx