gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:18:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I heard "________" in the grocery aisle.  (Read 54131 times)
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:34:14 AM »

I was at Trader Joe's the other day (a grocery chain, for those of you who may not have it), and I was immensely surprised & happy to hear "Breakaway" playing through the grocery store speakers while I was walking down the aisle!  Out of all the songs I've heard get some sort of airplay in the "public square", this is by far the most "unpopular" Beach Boys' song I've heard (though it was a single, of course, and was popular in some measure in some places at its release--but it has nowhere near the legacy as, say, "I Get Around").

So I wanna know: Which fairly "unpopular" Beach Boys' songs have you heard get play in public (e.g. in the grocery aisle, out pumping gas, waiting in the waiting room, in he dentist's chair, in the food court, etc.)?

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:55:03 AM »

Heard Add Some Music the other day in a store - just to make sure I told my wife, shut up so I could hear it better. Big mistake.  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:18:04 AM »

A few years ago I heard 'Wind Chimes' from Brian Wilson Presents Smile at my local CVS store. It sort of freaked me out that I heard Smile music in my local drug store, lol. I once heard Your Imagination at the same CVS.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:27:32 AM »

I once heard the Spanish version of Kokomo on the radio.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »

Great topic! It happens often.

I had a *killer* of a random BB's song experience in the past few months, but I can't remember what it was!!! Shopping in the supermarket, I'm thinking it was something kind of obscure from the Sunflower-CATP era that was a total surprise.

I heard "Sail On Sailor" in a convenience/minimart/gas station store chain called "WaWa" that only folks in the Philly area probably know.  Smiley  I work a lot from my car, ducked in to take a rest stop break, and heard SOS in the restroom.  Grin

I heard 'Til I Die in a supermarket once, and of all the stuff I think I've heard the most surprises in markets and the like coming from Brian Wilson Presents Smile, as someone else mentioned.

And I just thought of one this weekend from television, hearing "Long Promised Road" on an episode of the US version of the show "Life On Mars" was terrific...I loved that show, and they always found some great songs to add to the 70's atmosphere, songs which like "Long..." were not the obvious comedic or stereotyped "seventies" type of choices.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »

I heard Darlin' at Wal-Mart.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »

I hear "Your Imagination" a lot...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »

I hear "Your Imagination" a lot...

Borrowing from one of my favorites "It's A Wonderful Life"...

'My teacher says every time you hear Your Imagination, Joe Thomas' mullet grows more powerful!'

LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »

Just acouple days ago I was in a salvation army and heard 'Do it again'  Was pleasantly surprised
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »

Shedd Aquarium was playing 50 Big Ones in its gift store.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »

There was a thread about this a few years ago.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »

10 years ago I was in Bishop, CA, re supplying during my PCT hike. I went in as toque shop to browse as he owner had a lot of music on display, particularly Beatles. Asked if he had any BBs stuff but he smiled and said "no" which, being a Brit in CA confronted by lots of Beatles stuff I thought was a shame. Anyways I disappeared into the furthest recesses of the store. There'd been background d music playin throughout all this and suddenly Good Vibes came over the speakers … as I was leaving I thanked the guy but he pointed out that it was on the radio, not his choice. Neat coincidence and nice to hear as I was ofherwise deprived of my BBs fixes for 6 months during that hike.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »

'Summer In Paradise' album being played in full in a department store in Tokyo is probably the most random I've experienced!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »

I heard Match Point of Our Love while doing some shopping at the mall a while back. I forget what store I was in but I didn't notice it was playing until it was almost over.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »

'Summer In Paradise' album being played in full in a department store in Tokyo is probably the most random I've experienced!

Last summer I was waiting to meet up with some old friends at the Kanayama Train/Subway station in Nagoya, and they were apparently playing the 50th Anniversary tour live album in its entirety.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »

There was a thread about this a few years ago.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9802.0.html
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »

I once heard Don't Worry Baby in a Dick Smith store. You couldn't hear the background vocals. Alan and Mark were right  LOL
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »

Just acouple days ago I was in a salvation army and heard 'Do it again'  Was pleasantly surprised

I've heard Do It Again on Muzak at Wal-Mart.  I was pleasantly surprised, too.  They must shop that one around. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »

Yep thought so!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 01:24:38 AM »

There's a UK radio quiz about the news which plays music before some questions to illustrate the theme.  About ten years ago it was doing a question about new nutritional guidelines and it played a healthy chunk of Vega-Tables.  I didn't know the song then but thought it was amazing.  Imagine my pleasure when I discovered it on Smiley Smile (hence my name). 
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:32 AM »

There's a UK radio quiz about the news which plays music before some questions to illustrate the theme.  About ten years ago it was doing a question about new nutritional guidelines and it played a healthy chunk of Vega-Tables.  I didn't know the song then but thought it was amazing.  Imagine my pleasure when I discovered it on Smiley Smile (hence my name). 

"Ten years Ago"? My dad told me about this occuring the other day!

Also, I heard Santa's Beard in morrisons... followed by a COVER of Little saint nick  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 04:43:03 AM »

I heard Little Saint Nick at the Hong Kong Airport.

The best, though, was hearing 'I Can Hear Music' on a Hong Kong Minibus. I think the driver was in control of it, but it might have just been the radio.

ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 07:52:36 AM »

Thanks for the heads up!  I tried searching for a past thread, but didn't think to search "redux".  Cool

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:24 AM »

"Ten years Ago"? My dad told me about this occuring the other day!

Smiley "Vegetables" was just used in the credits of Come Dine with Me just now. First thing I did was rush here, I think my life is missing something.
Carls Beard
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »

I heard Still Crusin' at a Walmart store. Surprised me!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx