gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:17:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 148127 times)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »

First live video I've seen of Pisces Brothers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KgAlwwvo4

Also note that Brian and Al are in some of the photos used on the screen.
Nicko1234
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »

First live video I've seen of Pisces Brothers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KgAlwwvo4

Thanks for posting.

A nice performance and a good use of the photos to emphasize the meaning of the song.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2014, 06:09:05 AM »

Thought Mike's voice sounded pretty weak on that...still don't care for the song. And I know this was written years ago, but releasing this now just seems like a disgusting attempt at leaping on The Beatles bandwagon this year with all the 50th anniversary business. Mike spent a little bit of time with them in 1968....and frankly, none of the fabs look too thrilled to be with him in those pictures.
Nicko1234
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2014, 06:11:56 AM »

Thought Mike's voice sounded pretty weak on that...still don't care for the song. And I know this was written years ago, but releasing this now just seems like a disgusting attempt at leaping on The Beatles bandwagon this year with all the 50th anniversary business. Mike spent a little bit of time with them in 1968....and frankly, none of the fabs look too thrilled to be with him in those pictures.

You mean because Mike is making so much money from Pisces Brothers?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »

You are entitled to your opinion.  I saw Mike do Pisces Brothers at several shows last week.  You could hear a pin drop, it was that riveting for the audience. And the audience response was tremendous. They were blown away by its' beauty.

It was exactly appropriate to release this song, contemporaneous to the anniversary.  It is no less a tribute, than the release of Like a Brother for Carl, after his passing, to keep his memory alive, and POB for Dennis, a few years back. 

People associate events with music.  This song is awesome, in my opinion. The applause was strong at every single show I saw. You could not have experienced 60's music and not have been affected by George Harrison. You say Mike spent a "little time" with them.  But it was time that appears to have been "formative" philosophically for all of them.  And Mike has put his money where his mouth is, supporting TM in the urban schools, as an alternative to violence. 

And the Touring Band does a fantastic job on the accompaniment.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2014, 06:40:33 AM »

Contrary to what America may elect to believe, The Beatles 50th anniversary was in 2012. Thus your point is entirely invalid.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:41:50 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2014, 06:49:29 AM »

It was exactly appropriate to release this song, contemporaneous to the anniversary.

Even though I think the song is kinda garbage, it would be cool if he actually would RELEASE it. Cuz all he did as far as I know is put it up to be listened to on SoundCloud, which means as far as I know it's only being used as a promotional tool, because for some reason Mike doesn't have the guts to release his solo album.

Contrary to what America may elect to believe, The Beatles 50th anniversary was in 2012. Thus your point is entirely invalid.

Yeah, but The Beatles (or rather Paul, Ringo and Apple) have put a bit into selling the whole "50 years since they came to America" thing. Which meant that biggest "Beatles" moves were happening since probably the 9-9-09 reissuing of their catalogue. And one could probably say that Mike could be trying to "ride that wave". But of course, since he didn't release the song, I don't think he is.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2014, 07:01:36 AM »

This is ridiculous. The poster was clearly referencing the promotional push that Apple and Capitol/Universal have made this year concerning the 50th Anniversary of the Beatles’ arrival in the USA. It has been huge, regardless of the motives behind it or the semantics concerning actual anniversary dates.

Whatever Mike’s motives are (I would imagine his initial airing of this song and decision to start sharing it is not entirely coincidental in relation to the hype and press behind this anniversary), it’s anything but invalid to point to the hyping and selling of this Beatles anniversary.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:06:57 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:13 AM »

You are entitled to your opinion.  I saw Mike do Pisces Brothers at several shows last week.  You could hear a pin drop, it was that riveting for the audience. And the audience response was tremendous. They were blown away by its' beauty.

It was exactly appropriate to release this song, contemporaneous to the anniversary.  It is no less a tribute, than the release of Like a Brother for Carl, after his passing, to keep his memory alive, and POB for Dennis, a few years back.  

People associate events with music.  This song is awesome, in my opinion. The applause was strong at every single show I saw. You could not have experienced 60's music and not have been affected by George Harrison. You say Mike spent a "little time" with them.  But it was time that appears to have been "formative" philosophically for all of them.  And Mike has put his money where his mouth is, supporting TM in the urban schools, as an alternative to violence.  

And the Touring Band does a fantastic job on the accompaniment.

I don’t see anything particular wrong with the timing of the “release” of this song (whatever constitutes a “release” these days). A good song is a good song, and so on.

To me, less than the timing, what seems kind of tacky and cheesy is Mike’s penchant for variations on “name dropping” (and “accomplishment dropping” for lack of a better term).  He mentions “Uncle Jessie” at shows even when Stamos isn’t there. He mentions that freaking NME poll all the time. The “Back in the USSR” story, etc.  He seems to relish talking about George Harrison in part because he can say he knew George, that he hung out with him, etc. Most people drop these names or accomplishments from time to time, but I’m always fascinated by why someone who is the lead singer on numerous hits by one of the biggest bands ever, needs to tell us he knows Uncle Jessie, that he hung out with George Harrison and the Beatles (conveniently leaving out the end of the story when the Beatles left India in 1968 with not so pleasant feelings about the whole experience; and yes, I acknowledge it was a formative experience, at least for George I suppose, maybe not so much the other Beatles).

I suppose what’s additionally a bit odd is that not only did George Harrison rarely even utter the name “The Beach Boys” (let alone Brian Wilson or Mike Love), but Mike himself hasn’t terribly often discussed George. To me, he’s sort of doing a retroactive “Uncle Jessie”, attempting to earn some “cred” by name dropping someone. That doesn’t mean his tribute isn’t heartfelt (I’m sure Mike also very much truly is fond of John Stamos), and it doesn’t mean he doesn’t look back and feel a connection to George, but it seems a bit tacky as opposed to the Beach Boys paying tribute to Carl or Dennis or Paul McCartney paying tribute to George or John in concert.

It’s a bit like when Mike sang “Imagine” in concert back in 1983. The tribute can be heartfelt or well-intended, but when you’re sharing that tribute with an audience who is there to see you, you also have to factor in (or should factor in) how you are perceived by the audience and how you will be perceived in comparison or contrast to the subject of your tribute.

That being said, all of this perception is just mine, and at most, may be a feeling partially shared with a very small group of fans. I’m not at all surprised that Mike’s tribute to George goes over well with his audience. The subject matter probably also keeps fans from otherwise using the “new” song as their beer/bathroom break song (and this isn’t a criticism of Mike; this is just how a lot of shows are, even when fans pay $500 for a McCartney ticket, I’ve watched seemingly a couple thousand people collectively get up as soon as he announced “here’s one off the new album.”)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:09:10 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2014, 07:05:44 AM »

It was exactly appropriate to release this song, contemporaneous to the anniversary.

Even though I think the song is kinda garbage, it would be cool if he actually would RELEASE it. Cuz all he did as far as I know is put it up to be listened to on SoundCloud, which means as far as I know it's only being used as a promotional tool, because for some reason Mike doesn't have the guts to release his solo album.

Yeah, but The Beatles (or rather Paul, Ringo and Apple) have put a bit into selling the whole "50 years since they came to America" thing. Which meant that biggest "Beatles" moves were happening since probably the 9-9-09 reissuing of their catalogue. And one could probably say that Mike could be trying to "ride that wave". But of course, since he didn't release the song, I don't think he is.

I think he probably did the song on the TV show (and “released” it online) because it related to the Beatles’ anniversary. From there, it was just a springboard to including it in some live shows. He’s not literally “cashing in”, because indeed he hasn’t sold the song anywhere and isn’t selling more tickets because fans are hoping they’ll hear that song. As I mentioned before, I think airing it live is partly cut from the same grain as the reason he talks about Stamos in concert. Aside from that, he’s just doing it as he’s performed “Cool Head, Warm Heart” on and off in concert for the last however-many-years.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »

I remember George Harrison told Al Jardine and Carl that Mike "didn't follow the Maharishi's teachings" after Mike's HOF debacle in 1988.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »

It's the 50th Anniversary of their coming to America. That's all anyone has promoted in America or anywhere else this year. Maybe you should get your sh*t straight before claiming who exactly is invalid.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »

It's the 50th Anniversary of their coming to America. That's all anyone has promoted in America or anywhere else this year. Maybe you should get your sh*t straight before claiming who exactly is invalid.
Exactly. It doesn't make RubberSoul13's point invalid at all.. Huh
Nicko1234
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »

The idea that performing the song is `disgusting` is barking mad though. For a long time M&B were criticized for only playing the same oldies every night. When they add a new song (and they always promote new songs as they did with Santa`s Going to Kokomo and Cool Head Warm Heart) they get criticized too...

I assumed that Mike decided to issue something new due to the attention he was going to get from the Ella Awards and appearing on Queen Latifah. Now because it`s the 50th anniversary he may have plumped for this song which makes good sense. It seems from the reports that the audiences have responded well to it and the use of photos with the performance works nicely.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »

The idea that performing the song is `disgusting` is barking mad though. For a long time M&B were criticized for only playing the same oldies every night. When they add a new song (and they always promote new songs as they did with Santa`s Going to Kokomo and Cool Head Warm Heart) they get criticized too...

I assumed that Mike decided to issue something new due to the attention he was going to get from the Ella Awards and appearing on Queen Latifah. Now because it`s the 50th anniversary he may have plumped for this song which makes good sense. It seems from the reports that the audiences have responded well to it and the use of photos with the performance works nicely.

This is all strictly opinion based. That being said, I can't help it if all the "new" songs Mike tries to plug are awful.

Goin' To The Beach is OK and that's a leftover from the 70's...Isn't it Time is a great song, but much like Pisces Brothers, was performed at a very distasteful time in my opinion.
Nicko1234
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »

This is all strictly opinion based. That being said, I can't help it if all the "new" songs Mike tries to plug are awful.

Goin' To The Beach is OK and that's a leftover from the 70's...Isn't it Time is a great song, but much like Pisces Brothers, was performed at a very distasteful time in my opinion.

What exactly is `disgusting` about it though (a genuine question)?

Mike is not making any money or selling any tickets by this. So if he thinks, `This song will be enjoyed by the audience right now` then where is the problem with that?
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »

It's great that Pisces Brothers is performed live. I can't see any reason to dislike the fact that it's being performed. Seriously, get over it, it's a good song. Same folks would be appraising it if Brian had wrote it.

I was having a walk just a minute ago and was thinking this song. What's the reason it was added to the setlist and why all the promote? Is Mike preparing to release a solo album or what? I'd love to hear a full album with songs like Pisces Brothers and Daybreak Over the Ocean. Maybe even produced like Holland's Big Sur... At this point I'd propably be much more enthusiastic about that if it was confirmed, than Brian's album which seems to take 5 years to make...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »

I wish he would play Dallas live. Hearing the 'chalice' chorus in concert would make me so happy

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »

It's great that Pisces Brothers is performed live. I can't see any reason to dislike the fact that it's being performed. Seriously, get over it, it's a good song. Same folks would be appraising it if Brian had wrote it.

I was having a walk just a minute ago and was thinking this song. What's the reason it was added to the setlist and why all the promote? Is Mike preparing to release a solo album or what? I'd love to hear a full album with songs like Pisces Brothers and Daybreak Over the Ocean. Maybe even produced like Holland's Big Sur... At this point I'd propably be much more enthusiastic about that if it was confirmed, than Brian's album which seems to take 5 years to make...

I'm surprised Mike doesn't release his projects/solo albums by himself. He's gotta be a multi-millionaire, the alimony and child support payments ended years ago, and, if the releases tank, which they probably would, he has a nice big tax write off.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:36 AM »

What exactly is `disgusting` about it though (a genuine question)?

Mike is not making any money or selling any tickets by this. So if he thinks, `This song will be enjoyed by the audience right now` then where is the problem with that?

As I said above, it's not the song (although it does have a very cheesy backing track and the lyrics are quite lazy) that is disgusting, but the timing....as it ALWAYS is with Mr. Love....you need good timin'....

And he IS actually making money off of it with a ticket, whether the folks came to hear that song or not.
Nicko1234
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2014, 05:35:09 AM »

As I said above, it's not the song (although it does have a very cheesy backing track and the lyrics are quite lazy) that is disgusting, but the timing....as it ALWAYS is with Mr. Love....you need good timin'....

And he IS actually making money off of it with a ticket, whether the folks came to hear that song or not.

Well if they didn`t come to hear it (they obviously didn`t), playing that song earns him no more money than if they were to play anything else.

And again, what is disgusting about the timing?  Smiley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:58 AM »

I can't figure out what's so disgusting about it, either. People were criticizing Mike for always talking about how Brian let him down by not getting alone in a room with him to write songs for the last album. So, Mike is now presenting a few of his own songs. Why is that so bad? It's not any different than playing Kokomo, which is a song Brian did not participate in. Also, a lot of classic rock bands have their vocalists doing solo material, including the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »

Brian would never write a song like that. Joe Thomas would though.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »

I'm surprised Mike doesn't release his projects/solo albums by himself. He's gotta be a multi-millionaire, the alimony and child support payments ended years ago, and, if the releases tank, which they probably would, he has a nice big tax write off.

Honestly, I think he's perhaps afraid to go through with releasing a full-on solo album these days (in anything resembling a proper release fashion - even a release as low key as "A Postcard From California") under his own name, because he doesn't want to face a giant tidal wave backlash of haters. It's sad to say, but I think this may be big part of it.  I don't think he wants to go through with putting something out (a whole album, promotion, etc), and getting the kind of reaction that he would in all probability get from many corners of the internet. There doesn't seem to be much incentive for him, that I can see. Next to none financially, and not much (IMO) emotionally, in all likelihood. And this is unfortunate.

I think "Pisces Brothers" that he released on Soundcloud was probably viewed as a safe choice for whatever cred the George Harrison connection could bring to it, plus it was piggybacking on the Beatles Anniversary being in the public eye. But I also think that many of the criticisms of the song are valid. I think the obvious timing piggybacking thing is tacky in and of itself. I'm still glad that he put *something* out though.

I do really like "Cool Head, Warm Heart" (I think it's the best of the "new" songs on the Songs From Here & Back CD, and even though Al and Brian's competition on that CD wasn't stiff, I still was honestly impressed with Mike for that feat)... and I'd like to think he has "the goods" that could result in a decent current solo album. Not sure that he does, but CHWH gave me a bit of hope. I'm just not sure that there's much that he can do (regardless of the album's quality) to stop the onslaught of negativity it would bring these days.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:29:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

It’s a bit like when Mike sang “Imagine” in concert back in 1983. The tribute can be heartfelt or well-intended, but when you’re sharing that tribute with an audience who is there to see you, you also have to factor in (or should factor in) how you are perceived by the audience and how you will be perceived in comparison or contrast to the subject of your tribute.

Of all songs...I just cannot fathom that Mike really sang "Imagine" while wearing a hat with a giant Radio Shack logo on it.  
Honestly. I just can't believe that he did that, but check out the video from 1983 - it happened. Maybe it's just me, but it just seems a bit out of touch. Just a wee bit.

Ay carumba.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:33:27 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx