gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680854 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:02:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 149666 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: November 30, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »

It's like trying to have a reasoned discussion about evolutionary theory with a fundamentalist southern cracker: a complete fucking waste of time and effort, because said cracker knows what they know is the undeniable truth, and that anything else is a lie.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 30, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »

What's a "level playing field"? Mike writing all the songs with BW and telling Melinda to take a hike? Roll Eyes It's never enough for Mike without extreme control and using BW as a human cash cow.

That's a way too simplistic observation and in reference to the "cash cow" quip without merit.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 30, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »

AGD, that post going to be the forward of Mike's book?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
halblaineisgood
« Reply #553 on: November 30, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »

I like Spring Vacation. It's fun.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:05:40 PM by AwHHHHHH SEh Qwen YAaaa!!!! Sabadeehemna » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 30, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »

What's a "level playing field"? Mike writing all the songs with BW and telling Melinda to take a hike? Roll Eyes It's never enough for Mike without extreme control and using BW as a human cash cow.

That's a way too simplistic observation and in reference to the "cash cow" quip without merit.

Agreed. Taking a punt here but I would guess Brian would have been the highest expense cost per member of the C50 tour.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:58:01 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: November 30, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »

Considering he got the most applause by far, probably justified.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:59:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 30, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »

He got that for what he has done rather than what he did on stage. Not out to be critical of the guy BTW if that's how it sounds.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:01:35 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 30, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »

Considering he got the most applause by far, probably justified.

So it comes down to some kind of clap-o-meter device now? No wonder another full reunion is unlikely. I wouldn't want to be party to such nonsense either.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: November 30, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »

I know, it's weird. Apparently Brian Wilson back as a Beach Boy generated all kinds of press, applause, and gig/tv opportunities. Weird, wild stuff!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »

I went crazy yelling for BW during the C50.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »

Handclaps are a popularity indicator, not a money generator. If handclaps were a money generator Bruce would be a billionaire by now.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 30, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »

And seeing Mike as a good guy in ending the C50 is easier when you are best friends with him.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 30, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »

And seeing Mike as a good guy in ending the C50 is easier when you are best friends with him.

Ding ding ding!

The truth.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:41:24 PM by Winestock est. 1751 » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 30, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »

During C50, Brian was the one who received standing ovations every night for IJWMFTT and H&V - apparently he must have been doing something right. At the C50 show I saw in Hong Kong, there was nothing but love for Brian, and the crowd really lost it when he sang GOK solo at the piano...not pointing at girls in the audience did not diminish the performance whatsoever.

A friend of mine (a girl) was in the front row of that concert. Mike pointed and winked right at her...all that stuff. She said she felt very uncomfortable.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 30, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »

His royal wankership is a creepy old man.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:01:12 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 30, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »

Agreed. Taking a punt here but I would guess Brian would have been the highest expense cost per member of the C50 tour.
And it would be well worth every penny and more.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 30, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »

Not for the first time on this board, I feel as though I've missed something. Andrew, what do you mean when you say that Mike needs a level playing field? And I don't mean the answer you gave, which is not really an answer at all. What does meeting in the middle actually mean?

To put it bluntly, I've never understood what on earth Mike could have objected to in the reunion tour. It gained a phenomenal amount of media attention, he was still the front man of the band, he still got to decide the set lists. He got to bring a majority of his band along on the tour. On the album that was released, he got several cowriting credits and an executive producer credit.

If it was really that difficult for Mike to share the stage with Brian, I don't know why a "level playing field" would make much of a difference. And if it was really that difficult for that collaboration to happen, then Mike just can't be great guy that you and some others claim he is. Because a great guy would make an attempt to empathize with his cousin and figure out a way to make a terrific reunion work.

A petty, short sighted, self centered, insecure, conniving little dipshit of a man might not, though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:06:43 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 30, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »

A petty, short sighted, self centered, insecure, conniving little dipshit of a man might not, though.

It's like some twisted riches to rags story - "From Royal Albert Hall to the Bowling Alley"

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 30, 2014, 06:22:41 PM »

It truly amazes me that so many people who hate certain people so much waste so much time ....... hating them.

Why not just go on Brian's board and go to Brian shows? Why mess with The Beach Boys at all??
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 30, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »

Not for the first time on this board, I feel as though I've missed something. Andrew, what do you mean when you say that Mike needs a level playing field? And I don't mean the answer you gave, which is not really an answer at all. What does meeting in the middle actually mean?

To put it bluntly, I've never understood what on earth Mike could have objected to in the reunion tour. It gained a phenomenal amount of media attention, he was still the front man of the band, he still got to decide the set lists. He got to bring a majority of his band along on the tour. On the album that was released, he got several cowriting credits and an executive producer credit.

If it was really that difficult for Mike to share the stage with Brian, I don't know why a "level playing field" would make much of a difference. And if it was really that difficult for that collaboration to happen, then Mike just can't be great guy that you and some others claim he is. Because a great guy would make an attempt to empathize with his cousin and figure out a way to make a terrific reunion work.

High Five Rock! Happy Dance Bow Kiss w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 30, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »

Amazing how every other thread ends up with an argument about Mike and Brian's penis length.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 30, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »

It truly amazes me that so many people who hate certain people so much waste so much time ....... hating them.

Why not just go on Brian's board and go to Brian shows? Why mess with The Beach Boys at all??

Who said I spend any sizable amount of time hating Mike? For that matter, who said I hate him? And why would my opinion of the man affect my feelings about his creative work?

See, this is the game that Kokomaoists like to play. They somehow argue that because you dislike the way a person acts, you're somehow saying that person's role in the band or its history is unimportant, or that you're a hater.

That's rubbish.

I have consistently, for years now, said that Mike is an excellent frontman, a unique voice, and a talented lyricist (at least at one point). He's integral to what makes the Beach Boys work, as a group. And that's part of what makes it so discouraging when he actively works to sabotage the legacy of the group he was so instrumental in creating.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 30, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »

Amazing how every other thread ends up with an argument about Mike and Brian's penis length.

I think we all know, given Brian's rather honest self-assessment at various points, that Mike would win that contest handily.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 30, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »

Who said I spend any sizable amount of time hating Mike? For that matter, who said I hate him? And why would my opinion of the man affect my feelings about his creative work?

See, this is the game that Kokomaoists like to play. They somehow argue that because you dislike the way a person acts, you're somehow saying that person's role in the band or its history is unimportant, or that you're a hater.

That's rubbish.

I have consistently, for years now, said that Mike is an excellent frontman, a unique voice, and a talented lyricist (at least at one point). He's integral to what makes the Beach Boys work, as a group. And that's part of what makes it so discouraging when he actively works to sabotage the legacy of the group he was so instrumental in creating.

On that note, I'd have to suggest that pretty much every Beach Boy seemed to have at least at one point or another attempted to sabotage the whole shebang ...... Maybe not Bruce or Al, but ......... Though, I can't say any said sabotage attempts were intentional ..... Not even Mike's.

And if someone spends an inordinate of time disparaging an individual, does it really matter at the end of the day what they think of the person's work?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:46:02 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 30, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »

Well, so many people on this board are disgusted by the Mike and Bruce tours, but evidently BRI isn't. Maybe in some parallel universe Mike is holding BRI hostage at gunpoint and forcing them to cash his checks, but not in the real world.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx