gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:02:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 148176 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 19, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

I've always loved Bruce on Please Let Me Wonder, although I haven't caught it live in concert in over 20 years but he's still got it. Slightly different take on it than Brian but right up there.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 19, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »

I've always loved Bruce on Please Let Me Wonder, although I haven't caught it live in concert in over 20 years but he's still got it. Slightly different take on it than Brian but right up there.

Also he really loves that song, which adds something to it.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »

Also he really loves that song, which adds something to it.

Bruce did an excellent job on this last month when I saw them. It was the highlight/surprise of the show for me.

He sings it with a different kind of soul than Brian. However, I prefer the version I heard on C50 with Brian taking the lead.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »

If there's one corny thing I could do without... it would be Scott playing guitar over a random girl during Barbara Ann.)

That would very possibly be his random wife.  Smiley

Gang,

I just completed the New England portion of the tour.

highlights....  My wife getting on stage for guitar solo in Hampton Beach, Keep an Eye on Summer in set list, Still Cruisin in Tanglewood

I took many pics and compiled these....

Stamford

Hampton  Beach

Newport Yachting Center

Indian Ranch, Webster Mass

Tanglewood, Mass

I got the Tanglewood setlist as well, but took this pic earlier.  Note that they played Wild Honey second in the encores at Hampton and Rhode Island, just not on the list.

Had to eat...

Is that his random wife too?
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »

I like Ambah's take on "Darlin", but it's a little weird hearing her sing "I was livin like half a man..." LOL

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »

Don't tell a soul, but... Scotty's a closet Mormon, hence the term "random wife"...  Grin

Seriously, everytime I've seen him do that it's been Mrs. T, but then that would be on a UK tour.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:28:21 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »

Getcha Back w/ Mike back on lead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJ37Qac0T0&list=UUT7P5w8eHXOyNdPRYsE0vvg
Nicko1234
« Reply #357 on: August 26, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »

Good to hear that Mike is singing that one again...really don`t like Jeff`s falsetto on it though.
Nicko1234
« Reply #358 on: August 27, 2014, 06:34:52 AM »

Mike doing the ice bucket challenge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-lHils0_Q
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2014, 07:00:41 AM »

I clicked that link prepared to be rickrolled, but I wasn't!  Shocked

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »

I clicked that link prepared to be rickrolled, but I wasn't!  Shocked

Fair play , but at least Mike didn't get his hair wet  LOL
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »

For a guy who gets ragged on constantly Mike Love is a good sport a lot of the time.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »

For a guy who gets ragged on constantly Mike Love is a good sport a lot of the time.

Mike seems to be a fun enough guy when he's in his own element, doing what he wants, on his terms. I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all. It's frankly the only thing that doesn't make me ill about the reunion lineup breaking up. If Mike really is *that* off-put by doing things the way they were on C50, then it does indeed make more sense to not force any of these guys to be together, and let him do his own thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »

Mike seems to be a fun enough guy when he's in his own element, doing what he wants, on his terms.

You realise you can substitute "Brian" for "Mike" without invalidating the truth of that sentence by one iota ?  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2014, 04:21:20 AM »

I don't really care much for Ambha Love's vocal on Darlin. She sounds a bit off key to me, and a bit too loud. She's still young, so hopefully her voice will improve a bit more with some training.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »

Mike seems to be a fun enough guy when he's in his own element, doing what he wants, on his terms.

You realise you can substitute "Brian" for "Mike" without invalidating the truth of that sentence by one iota ?  Smiley

I think that kind of goes without saying. Nearly everyone on the face of the planet is more comfortable doing everything the way they want, on their own terms. The difference, which I was trying to avoid going into in great detail (in order to avoid another A versus B debate about band members), is that some people still are able to be their same selves when having to compromise, and/or let someone else be in charge, etc. Not just “put up” with it, or tolerate it.

In other words, Jardine or Johnston or Marks for instance don’t have to own the license, pick the setlist, pick the band members, be the band leader, pick the type of venues, etc. in order to be happy and not gripe about being in the band. I would also argue that Brian, while needing a laundry list of conditions in order to function, especially on the road, does so in part not out of ego, but out of simply the fragility of what it takes to get him out there. Is that a double standard? Arguably, yes. But when you’re the guy responsible for the group, you get that benefit of the doubt sometimes.

The point is, I see that Mike is less ill-at-ease doing his own thing. He even pretty much admits as much. He has said in numerous interviews that he likes doing things his own way. He doesn’t just prefer the logistical setup of his band. He prefers that that setup is *his*. He set it up, he runs it, he answers to no one. His interviews read a bit more like “Hey, Brian likes vanilla, I like chocolate, Al likes unflavored ice milk, we’re all just doing our own thing.” The difference is that Mike likes his thing because it’s his own thing. Post C-50, the one difference is that Brian and Al didn’t prefer to go back to their own thing (and in the case of Al, he has usually not been doing his own thing by choice; but rather due to lack of anything else to do). In that moment, their preference was not doing something simply because they would be in charge and run everything. They wanted to do another round of staying together, compromising, maybe doing a few things here and there that weren’t their preference, because that was still ultimately what they thought would be best.

More to the point, I don’t see the same tone and personality changes in Al or Brian (or Dave or Bruce) between C50 and post-C50 that I see in Mike. To come back around to my original point in my previous post, which truly wasn’t meant as a weird backhanded compliment, my point was that I accept and acknowledge that Mike is happier when everything goes his way, on his terms, and that’s the most acceptable, legitimate reason from a fan perspective that I can think of to find the end of the reunion palatable.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2014, 07:00:06 AM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but Brian used to say stuff about "doing his own thing" and "calling the shots" with his band in the late 90's and early 2000's. Why is Mike always signaled out for this stuff? I don't believe he has a monopoly on liking to do things his own way.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but Brian used to say stuff about "doing his own thing" and "calling the shots" with his band in the late 90's and early 2000's. Why is Mike always signaled out for this stuff? I don't believe he has a monopoly on liking to do things his own way.

My previous post points out that inherently pretty much everybody likes things their own way. I’m not sure how you could take away from that statement that I feel anyone has a monopoly on feeling that way.

Brian’s band isn’t called “The Beach Boys”, e.g. the same band name as the band that toured in 2012. That’s one difference. One could argue there is inherently more room (and I’m not talking about legalities) for Brian Wilson to be in charge of a tour that goes by the name “Brian Wilson.”

But again, my original point wasn’t to criticize Mike for liking things his own way. I was pointing out that this was a practical reason for feeling the reunion should have or had to end. If Mike supporters (or whatever we want to call various opinions and factions) feel this still is not fair enough to Mike, I’m not sure what else I’m supposed to say. Even Mike has said he likes doing things his own way. I didn’t even mention Brian or any other members in my original post talking about this point regarding Mike.

I was, believe it or not, trying to not let it devolve into the typical Brian vs. Mike debate. It’s easy to go down that road.

For instance, I don’t believe the “calling the shots” factor is the same for Brian and Mike (and certainly not for the other guys). Case in point: The C50 tour was a compromise. They all got some things they wanted, and had to do a few things differently than they would have on their own. At the end of it, who wanted to continue that way and who wanted to end it and go back to their own thing?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:28:16 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »

My previous post points out that inherently pretty much everybody likes things their own way. I’m not sure how you could take away from that statement that I feel anyone has a monopoly on feeling that way.

Brian’s band isn’t called “The Beach Boys”, e.g. the same band name as the band that toured in 2012. That’s one difference. One could argue there is inherently more room (and I’m not talking about legalities) for Brian Wilson to be in charge of a tour that goes by the name “Brian Wilson.”

But again, my original point wasn’t to criticize Mike for liking things his own way. I was pointing out that this was a practical reason for feeling the reunion should have or had to end. If Mike supporters (or whatever we want to call various opinions and factions) feel this still is not fair enough to Mike, I’m not sure what else I’m supposed to say. Even Mike has said he likes doing things his own way. I didn’t even mention Brian or any other members in my original post talking about this point regarding Mike.

I was, believe it or not, trying to not let it devolve into the typical Brian vs. Mike debate. It’s easy to go down that road.

For instance, I don’t believe the “calling the shots” factor is the same for Brian and Mike (and certainly not for the other guys). Case in point: The C50 tour was a compromise. They all got some things they wanted, and had to do a few things differently than they would have on their own. At the end of it, who wanted to continue that way and who wanted to end it and go back to their own thing?

I think it`s fair to say that Brian had a fair amount more of what he wanted though...

I do agree with the idea that the reason the end of the C50 tour is more palatable to some people is because they feel that it could only continue if they all wanted it to which is the way it has been for a long time.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2014, 07:54:57 AM »

I think it`s fair to say that Brian had a fair amount more of what he wanted though...

I do agree with the idea that the reason the end of the C50 tour is more palatable to some people is because they feel that it could only continue if they all wanted it to which is the way it has been for a long time.

Perhaps from the outside it appears Brian got more of what he wanted. But he and Mike had an equal stake in the production company. Further, what each faction wanted as it relates to what fans like or want isn't to be totally ignored either. The seemingly Brian-invoked conditions like using mostly his band is not something that many fans tended to disagree with.

We can also deduce from Mike's current setup some of the possible things he would change as compared to C50, and none of the things I can see are preferable to C50 from a fan perspective. There are no doubt MANY things behind the scenes that are preferable for him. And that's fine. It also means it will be characterized as such by some fans. It is an operation that is run the way he wants, to his preference, and theoretically at least occurring in contrast to a full reunion setup preferable to many fans and by all accounts still highly beneficial to all band members. Just not beneficial enough for some.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:56:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2014, 08:05:03 AM »

Perhaps from the outside it appears Brian got more of what he wanted. But he and Mike had an equal stake in the production company. Further, what each faction wanted as it relates to what fans like or want isn't to be totally ignored either. The seemingly Brian-invoked conditions like using mostly his band is not something that many fans tended to disagree with.

We can also deduce from Mike's current setup some of the possible things he would change as compared to C50, and none of the things I can see are preferable to C50 from a fan perspective. There are no doubt MANY things behind the scenes that are preferable for him. And that's fine. It also means it will be characterized as such by some fans. It is an operation that is run the way he wants, to his preference, and theoretically at least occurring in contrast to a full reunion setup preferable to many fans and by all accounts still highly beneficial to all band members. Just not beneficial enough for some.

To be honest, I was trying to get back to your original point and you seem to be moving further away from it.  Wink

Your point seemed to be, `Mike enjoys doing his current thing with Bruce and that is one factor as to why some can understand why the C50 stuff didn`t continue`.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »

To be honest, I was trying to get back to your original point and you seem to be moving further away from it.  Wink

Your point seemed to be, `Mike enjoys doing his current thing with Bruce and that is one factor as to why some can understand why the C50 stuff didn`t continue`.

Exactly. As I mentioned before, I didn’t mention any other band members in my original post. It was indeed meant to stand on its own. It was a hugely obvious point to make, but I thought worth making in an attempt to find the C50 demise somehow more palatable.

It has since been met with a couple of “what about Brian?” type of comments. I’ve been addressing those, because people seem to not be able to accept the premise of my original thought without having to add an addendum concerning Brian. I commented on Mike. I didn’t single him out. The thread is about his band.

I’m happy to delve into the (often admittedly tired and repetitive) comparisons between the Brian and Mike, or between any band members. We know enough about these guys, so we’re able to make relatively well-informed comparisons. But my original point was one of those times where no comparisons or contrasts had to be drawn, and I didn’t. Those came from others, and if others need to immediately invoke a “Brian does it too!” defense for some reason, I’m happy to have that discussion too and point out where I feel the comparison is apt and where it isn’t.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 28, 2014, 09:32:49 AM »

Exactly. As I mentioned before, I didn’t mention any other band members in my original post. It was indeed meant to stand on its own. It was a hugely obvious point to make, but I thought worth making in an attempt to find the C50 demise somehow more palatable.

It has since been met with a couple of “what about Brian?” type of comments. I’ve been addressing those, because people seem to not be able to accept the premise of my original thought without having to add an addendum concerning Brian. I commented on Mike. I didn’t single him out. The thread is about his band.

I’m happy to delve into the (often admittedly tired and repetitive) comparisons between the Brian and Mike, or between any band members. We know enough about these guys, so we’re able to make relatively well-informed comparisons. But my original point was one of those times where no comparisons or contrasts had to be drawn, and I didn’t. Those came from others, and if others need to immediately invoke a “Brian does it too!” defense for some reason, I’m happy to have that discussion too and point out where I feel the comparison is apt and where it isn’t.

Geez, really that obvious? Not really. Mike's license allows him to put together, hire who he wants in the touring band. BRI has nothing to do with that. Mike calls the shots. C50 was a different animal, either outside Mike's license or a specialty added to it for a finite time. Mike did give up partial control for the C50 Tour. Brian basically got his whole backing band included, had input on the setlists that Mike would have had 100% control over in his license. When the C50 Tour was over, it reverted back to Mike's license and he calls all the shots again. Because Mike has a license from BRI, that is how it affects on the Beach Boys name.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: August 28, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »

Geez, really that obvious? Not really. Mike's license allows him to put together, hire who he wants in the touring band. BRI has nothing to do with that. Mike calls the shots. C50 was a different animal, either outside Mike's license or a specialty added to it for a finite time. Mike did give up partial control for the C50 Tour. Brian basically got his whole backing band included, had input on the setlists that Mike would have had 100% control over in his license. When the C50 Tour was over, it reverted back to Mike's license and he calls all the shots again. Because Mike has a license from BRI, that is how it affects on the Beach Boys name.

The obvious point involved Mike preferring to do things his own way, as most people do. I'm not sure why the license situation, which we all understand well, is even being referenced.

The reason Mike pursued and continues to use the license is because he likes to do things his own way. That's the only way the license relates at all to what I originally addressed.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: August 28, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »

That may be overstating it a bit. Being able to use the name to tour doesn't give one member the authority to stage the show any way he may choose - meaning if someone got the rights to tour as the Beach Boys, and chose to present a show full of non-Beach Boys cover songs or even radical reworkings or rearrangements of Beach Boys songs to the point where they strayed from the original sound of those songs that fans paid to hear, BRI as the owner of that name I think would have the control over that name enough to suspend the license. It would be on the grounds that the name Beach Boys was being used to sell tickets for a show that wasn't giving fans what they were paying to see, which was a Beach Boys show. I know similar agreements are in place with many touring and "name" bands, where use of the name is not an absolute ownership of that name, and whatever entity has control of the name has to present that band's music in a certain way to comply with their agreement to headline shows under that band's name.

I'm just saying that because allowing Mike or any other band member or family member going forward to use the name Beach Boys does not give that entity absolute control over that name and the power to present whatever they want on stage.

I believe that was a pretty strong condition made in the agreements, so it wouldn't become a situation where the brand name could be used to present just anything on stage as the Beach Boys, including poor-quality shows or even a revue type of show where the setlists and the songs didn't reflect what the brand name represented.

And I could be wrong, but I believe BRI still has the ownership enough to suspend the license if such things were to happen. And this goes beyond Mike or anyone else in 2014, and was probably looking ahead to a situation like the "Glenn Miller Orchestra" or Elvis' "TCB Band" staging live shows decades after the namesake of the show has passed away. The estates and owners still have control over what gets presented under those artists' name, and are very specific about using original arrangements and the like so it doesn't get ugly for fans and the reputation alike.

So it's not entirely a situation where Mike or anyone else could decide to stage a show full of 50's doo-wop and pop covers and call it the Beach Boys. BRI could step in and say "that's not representative of the name" and suspend it. I think.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx