gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:29:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2014  (Read 150104 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »

Who was singing "I Saw Her Standing There?"

Think it's Randell Kirsch.

Cool, thanks!
Jason
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2014, 10:44:17 AM »

Mike's biggest problem - in the eyes of some, at any rate - is sadly unfixable. He's not Brian. Yup, that simple, that stupid. But then, some BB fans were never overburdened with smarts.

You're being charitable with the "some BB fans were never overburdened with smarts" bit.
Nicko1234
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »

A new interview with Mike as well (apologies if it has already been posted):

http://laughlinentertainer.com/?p=1511
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »

"Kokomo” is our No. 1, biggest sing-along song in our show"

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »

Mike's biggest problem - in the eyes of some, at any rate - is sadly unfixable. He's not Brian. Yup, that simple, that stupid. But then, some BB fans were never overburdened with smarts.

You're being charitable with the "some BB fans were never overburdened with smarts" bit.

Nice. Class. And the beat goes on...

Hey...it's the difference between a fine steak and a quick drive through the Taco Bell. That's how I see it. Guilty of I guess, a discerning palate. Enjoy your kokomo a go go.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »

Hey...it's the difference between a fine steak and a quick drive through the Taco Bell. That's how I see it. Guilty of I guess, a discerning palate. Enjoy your kokomo a go go.

Proof, yet again, that some folks simply are not Beach Boys fans!

Steak every damn night would get boring..... Brian himself knows this better than anyone. Throw in some donuts and burgers and life is that much more tasty Smiley

In fact: I'll take that steak, medium rare, with a side of Kokomo  Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:53:42 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »

November European dates:

21 - Paris
22 - Frederikshaven
23 - Ballerup
24 - Trondheim
25 - Dublin
26 - Belfast
27 - London
29 - Tel Aviv (first ever Israel gig)

Can't find any info anywhere else but checked Bellagio (why that wasn't my first port of call I don't know) and they're playing Wembley Arena? I'm quite amazed.

Try looking on mikelove.com.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »

When does AGD.com launch? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »

Steak every damn night would get boring..... Brian himself knows this better than anyone. Throw in some donuts and burgers and life is that much more tasty Smiley

In fact: I'll take that steak, medium rare, with a side of Kokomo  Grin

BRIANISTA!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »

In fact: I'll take that steak, medium rare, with a side of Kokomo  Grin

BRIANISTA!

We need to come up with a derogatory term for someone who loves THE BEACH BOYS!!!

Boystafarian?

Beach-Type-Personitst?

Boyzi?

Tommy Bahamist?

Beacheopath?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:05:27 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »

Found a video of "Back in The USSR" from Abbey Road On The River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2fPyKOkKzs

Thanks for posting this. They sound pretty darn good here.

Totten especially - he really fills everything in.
Guitarist compliments guitarist. Non-drummer will compliment the drummer: great job, Mr. Cowsill!

I liked the Dear Prudence cover too, actually. Nothing ropey to these ears. Imagine how cool it would be if they performed "And Your Bird Can Sing", with Scott doubling guitar. One of my favorite Beatles tunes. Randell sounds almost identical to the way Paul sang the original (as opposed to actual voice similarity, if that makes sense).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:18 PM »

Would've been great if Mike had brought out a balalaika during USSR and played a solo. He would in that moment win my heart completely.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »

DONT NOT sh*t ME, WOODSTOKC

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2014, 02:57:00 AM »

Mike is known for his playing of cute instruments.!!$

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2014, 03:23:40 AM »

I recall seeing them in 1993 when they played Sheffield and Manchester on consecutive nights… one of the gigs had a reasonable audience but the other – Sheffield, if memory serves – wasn't even half-full. The dangers of a by-then less popular band playing big capacity gigs within not too great a distance.

I'd be surprised if the Wembley gig has a huge audience, but I intend to swell it by at least one!

“We live in divisive times.”
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2014, 03:34:32 AM »

I know that it's still soon. But, what are the chances that we can see 50+ songs setlists like in 2004 or 2008?
If it's the case it would be worth attending any of these shows.

I think there's little chance the Wembley show, at least, won't be a long set.  Which is good, cos' I'm not going to their racecourse etc shows this summer.  Hopefully, they'll play some of the same deeper cuts as last time, like Til I Die and Here Today, but it would be great if they pull other stuff out of the bag.  If they're gonna do some of the lesser known Pet Sounds songs, I hope they throw in That's Not Me.  Would love to hear Mike singing that.

I see above that Mike's championing Kokomo as a sing-along, which is fine, but he should judge that according to the location.  In Britain, it's not widely known and it killed the momentum in the Albert Hall in 2012.  It had a spot in the setlist where an assured classic should be, but over here, people don't really know it and don't go crazy for it.  He ought to stick it in the first set or something.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2014, 03:51:10 AM »

I know that it's still soon. But, what are the chances that we can see 50+ songs setlists like in 2004 or 2008?
If it's the case it would be worth attending any of these shows.

I think there's little chance the Wembley show, at least, won't be a long set.  Which is good, cos' I'm not going to their racecourse etc shows this summer.  Hopefully, they'll play some of the same deeper cuts as last time, like Til I Die and Here Today, but it would be great if they pull other stuff out of the bag.  If they're gonna do some of the lesser known Pet Sounds songs, I hope they throw in That's Not Me.  Would love to hear Mike singing that.

I see above that Mike's championing Kokomo as a sing-along, which is fine, but he should judge that according to the location.  In Britain, it's not widely known and it killed the momentum in the Albert Hall in 2012.  It had a spot in the setlist where an assured classic should be, but over here, people don't really know it and don't go crazy for it.  He ought to stick it in the first set or something.

I'll attend both outdoor amphitheater shows in Spain this summer, which they will surely be great like in Catalonia and Madrid in 2010 and 2011. The highlights were Hearts, Disney Girls, Bluebirds OVer the Mountain, Good To My Baby, etc.
But if these November shows are going to be like in 2004 or 2008 (with Til I Die, Everyone's in Love With You, You Still Believe In Me, All This Is That, etc), I'd like to know it. Maybe I'd consider attending the Paris or Wembley ones.

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »

A new project with BB music...

...sponsored by Target, perhaps?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »

[

I'll attend both outdoor amphitheater shows in Spain this summer, which they will surely be great like in Catalonia and Madrid in 2010 and 2011. The highlights were Hearts, Disney Girls, Bluebirds OVer the Mountain, Good To My Baby, etc.
But if these November shows are going to be like in 2004 or 2008 (with Til I Die, Everyone's in Love With You, You Still Believe In Me, All This Is That, etc), I'd like to know it. Maybe I'd consider attending the Paris or Wembley ones.

While they may not play 54 songs again, I would have thought there is little doubt that the Wembley show will be a very long setlist with several rarities. The only way I could see it being otherwise is if a support band were announced to try to shift tickets.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2014, 04:26:49 PM »

[

While they may not play 54 songs again, I would have thought there is little doubt that the Wembley show will be a very long setlist with several rarities. The only way I could see it being otherwise is if a support band were announced to try to shift tickets.

There's gotta be another band, I don't see Mike and Bruce cutting it. Have they EVER played Wembley on their own?

Or perhaps there won't be another band, maybe just other band members.........
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »

It does make me happy to see they are playing Israel as it did that the Rolling Stones did as well with anti-semites like Roger Waters trying to start a boycott.  Nice to know people aren't taking him seriously.

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2014, 02:05:30 AM »

There's gotta be another band, I don't see Mike and Bruce cutting it. Have they EVER played Wembley on their own?

Or perhaps there won't be another band, maybe just other band members.........

Yes. Maybe the Wembley show will be the european Jones Beach show. Let's wait and see...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2014, 04:00:38 AM »

Gotta love the huge leaps of pure illogic displayed here.  Grin

Mike & Bruce can't possibly fill Wembley Arena, ego there has to be either a support band, or there might be other members appearing.

When Brian played the Birmingham NIA (capacity 12,800) in 2005, did he fill it ? No, and they knew he wouldn't so maybe 75% of the venue was curtained off. I'm guessing the same may happen in November to some degree or other. As for the possibility of other members... we'll see, but I have my doubts.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2014, 04:27:38 AM »

I can't see a support act bringing in the crowds.  I hope there isn't one.  Possibly, MnB are just hoping for bigger crowds, and based on the buzz of the reunion, trying to get into a bigger market.

Anyway, it's not there on mikelove.com now.  Guess it's still tentative.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »

Okay, I’m not trying to be snarky here, but I seriously thought, up until the point that Mike referenced Foskett, that they had re-used a Mike interview from a year ago for this thing. I’m still confused as to how at least a few of the lines are word-for-word identical. Isn't this kind of a weird coincidence? I know Mike has expressed very similar sentiments (the ridiculous "term" bit for instance, and the "it was just like 1965, but...." stuff) in multiple interviews, but this is word-for-word identical. I guess this saves me from having to do more commentary on Mike's sometimes specious reasoning, as it's the same stuff I commented on a year ago. Check out these two "interviews", published almost a year apart:

June 17, 2014 (Laughlin Entertainer) :

It was a good thing to do to mark the 50th anniversary of the group. A lot of the fans enjoyed seeing us all together. Brian’s been doing his solo thing for 15 years, and I and Bruce have done our thing for over 50 years now. I had a wonderful experience being in the studio together. Brian has lost none of his ability to structure those melodies and chord progressions, and when we heard us singing together coming back over the speakers, it sounded like 1965 again. Touring was more for the fans.  It was a great experience. It had a term to it and now everyone’s going on with their ways of doing things.   Brian is working on a soundtrack, which is part of a movie project about his life. We’re doing 125 shows this year, so we stay pretty busy.

July 4, 2013 (UK Guardian):

I had a wonderful experience being in the studio together. Brian has lost none of his ability to structure those melodies and chord progressions, and when we heard us singing together coming back over the speakers it sounded like 1965 again. Touring was more for the fans.  Brian has a great band and he does his own thing, and Bruce and I have a fabulous band and we enjoy going places, big and small. But that configuration that happened last year you can only do in so many places and so often. So it was an agreed 50 shows that grew to 73 because of demand. But there was always a term, then we were always going back to what we do. Brian is in the studio again. He loves the studio. It was a great experience, it had a term to it, and now everyone's going on with their ways of doing things.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:24:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx