gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:52:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today's Mainstream Music Redux  (Read 11841 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »

Right, in the original version of this thread started by Retrokid67, things went really well until it jumped the shark at around page 12. From that point on the thread was doomed. Admittedly this is both my fault and Retrokid's, and we recently made an effort to revive the thread, but it looks like it's dead.
But we don't want to get sidetracked with this as well, so please make an effort not to start discussions about what happened in the last thread.
And Negativity will not be tolerated in this thread either, there's been a whole lot of that going around in this forum recently, so try and treat people how you would like to be treated.

And with all that said, let's get started  Smiley

I don't really care for a very large percentage of recent music that I've heard. As Retrokid said, much of it is "unoriginal and crappy". Though I don't mind Happy by Pharrell Williams, that was surprisingly good even if the lyrics weren't the best and it's been overplayed a bit. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:10:30 PM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »

Why do you keep changing your name? I didn't even realize who you were until this post. It is very confusing.

Huh
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »

Why do you keep changing your name? I didn't even realize who you were until this post. It is very confusing.

Huh

lol I enjoy it. In that sense I'm sorta like Billy  Smiley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 04:17:21 PM »

yeah but Billy has things that make him easily identifiable; such as his mod status. What is this? Your 5th name change? 6th?  LOL
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

does anyone listen to the group A Great Big World? I heard the song they did with Christina Aguilera which I thought was really good.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »

yeah but Billy has things that make him easily identifiable; such as his mod status. What is this? Your 5th name change? 6th?  LOL

It gives people a challenge to find out who I am.

Now let's get back on topic, I don't want this to end up like the ill-fated last thread

does anyone listen to the group A Great Big World? I heard the song they did with Christina Aguilera which I thought was really good.

Not yet, but I might check it out  Cheesy
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

Okay, I gave Say Something by A Great Big World a listen and I was quite impressed. It's a really good song, I highly recommend it.
Looks like you have to dig through a lot of crap to find gems like Say Something!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »

Okay, I gave Say Something by A Great Big World a listen and I was quite impressed. It's a really good song, I highly recommend it.
Looks like you have to dig through a lot of crap to find gems like Say Something!

yea I saw them perform it on the Grammy's. I completely skipped this year's Grammy's but this past one's the one I shouldn't have skipped I guess (Beatle's tribute)  Sad

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »

I think its the 8th now. Maybe we should make LSM a mod, so he can change his name and we'll still know it's him  Smiley

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »

Huh

lol I enjoy it. In that sense I'm sorta like Billy  Smiley

LOL  You're good/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »

Why do we need another thread where people complain about how contemporary mainstream music is not worth listening to when there's already one terrible thread fifteen pages long that accomplishes the same uninteresting goal?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »

Well, you see, they locked that thread in an effort to shut it down.

They then subsequently created the same exact thread, rendering the previous locking of said thread entirely pointless.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »

Why do we need another thread where people complain about how contemporary mainstream music is not worth listening to when there's already one terrible thread fifteen pages long that accomplishes the same uninteresting goal?

it wasn't meant for that.  obviously music has changed since the Beach Boys' time and I know there are a lot of people out there who dislike it and a lot of people that don't.  it was meant for discussion not arguments  Undecided.  and for someone who wasn't interested you were sure on there a lot...

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »

it wasn't meant for that.  obviously music has changed since the Beach Boys' time and I know there are a lot of people out there who dislike it and a lot of people that don't.  it was meant for discussion not arguments  Undecided.  and for someone who wasn't interested you were sure on there a lot...

Exactly. And this time we weren't really complaining much, we were praising one song and saying good things about another.

And will you guys stop derailing the thread? If that's all you're going to do and you're not going to contribute to this thread, then leave. Simple!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 06:01:17 PM »

Better lock this thread.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »

Exactly. And this time we weren't really complaining much, we were praising one song and saying good things about another.

And will you guys stop derailing the thread? If that's all you're going to do and you're not going to contribute to this thread, then leave. Simple!

obviously some people have nothing better to do...

-Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 06:33:46 PM »

Gotta say...I agree. I cannot understand why people reply in topics when they have an issue with the person posting it. The negativity on the board has gotten to a point where I honestly wonder why I even bother coming here anymore.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »

Gotta say...I agree. I cannot understand why people reply in topics when they have an issue with the person posting it. The negativity on the board has gotten to a point where I honestly wonder why I even bother coming here anymore.

thanks Billy.  we've had peace up until this moment...it's really sad what's been going on here

-Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »

As it's partly my fault for derailing this thread, I'll get it back on track. Please take this as my apology.
Here are some of my favorites from these past years:

"John Wayne Gacy, Jr." by Sufjan Stevens
I find the song to be quite beautiful, but others find it quite creepy. I suppose that's a valid point, as it's a song about a horrendous murderer.. but whatcha gonna do.
Anyway, I love the shifts in the song. The song builds to these frantic peaks and then drops back down into quiet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otx49Ko3fxw

"Get Lost" by Tom Waits
A highly catchy number with a 50's rockabilly vibe going on. Plus Tom Waits voice, which is always great. A nice, throwback-ish guitar solo from his great guitarist Mark Ribot. Keith Richards even makes a few appearances on the album this song hails from, which isn't too surprising as they've been friends since the 80's and Tom was even a special guest for one of the Rolling Stones recent shows in Oakland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_oxz4T9Sgs

"Kinski Assassin" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
A good song from one of music's biggest weirdos. The song starts off with a really cool organ riff and then lands in Ariel's odd singing. This odd singing is also matched with his completely unexplainable lyrics about jacuzzis, Battleship, and even throwing in a "talk to your moms" for good measure. It was hard to pick only one song, so, if you enjoy this, search out his other stuff. Namely "Symphony of the Nymph" which has what may be my favorite lyric of all time ("I don't mean to burn any bridges, but I can't get enough of these bitches"), "Schnitzel Boogie," which is the "Hey Jude" of schnitzel, and "Baby," which is a startlingly good soul song (not sung by Ariel).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCd0Wzrxeyc

"Life's a Beach" by Django Django
A song with a great riff, nice harmonies, cool bass line, great sounding instruments, and it's all matched with lyrics that are great fun to sing along with. Also, has a really interesting middle eight that sorta comes outta nowhere with some cool organ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ji6YlKFJ8k

"Music to Walk Home By" by Tame Impala
A very accurate title. On an album filled with great songs, this one seems to get over looked to me. I've always thought it was really great. Their music is sort of hard to describe, but they really harken back to the days of 1967 with their music. If that's your kinda thing (and you don't already know about them because you probably do), then they are a good band to check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Kb8wF_EFU

"The Equestrian Vortex" by Broadcast
This comes from the soundtrack to a really interesting movie called Berberian Sound Studios that, if you like strange movies, you should check out. The soundtrack is filled with some really original music and is also quite eerie. This one's probably my favorite (as it's the closest to a real song they get). I love the organ jamming and the way the drums swing back and forth from the left to the right channel (headphones probably needed). Really cool, unique stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7zIfUwwoQ0

"Young Hearts" by Maston
Alright, this is a newcomer that I genuinely like, but perhaps that's because he loves Harry Nilsson, Van Dyke Parks, and Brian Wilson (and it shows). He makes some really finely-tuned pop songs that have really great arrangements and singing. He also plays all the instruments on his album (except the harp), of which he is self-taught, and it all works together so well. Not to mention his fucking cool mustache.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0_DkbiDjU

Oh, yeah, here's another one: "Ballad of Little Jane" by Jacco Gardner
Everyone drools over this guy as the next Zombies or whatever and that's a load of crap. His album is practically the same song over and over again - and it's not a Ramones situation where it's at least a good song. It's boring. Nevertheless, there is this one good song hidden at the end of his album that is quite different from his other stuff in its tone. The chorus is also really good on this song, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_xPnHmkog
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:40:55 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »

thanks Billy.  we've had peace up until this moment...it's really sad what's been going on here

Agreed. I'm noticing this forum's in a bit of a decline at the moment. Several long-term members have left due to the decline, and many others are getting fed up with it, especially myself. And even Billy!
The root of the decline? The sheer negativity around this forum and the lack of interesting events in the Beach Boys world at the moment. It's a shame, really.

Anyway Retrokid, is there any other newer songs that you are enjoying at the moment? I was quite impressed by your last suggestion, perhaps there's more?

And thanks Bubbly for getting back on track  Smiley
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »

As it's partly my fault for derailing this thread, I'll get it back on track. Please take this as my apology.

I find the song to be quite beautiful, but others find it quite creepy. I suppose that's a valid point, as it's a song about a horrendous murderer.. but whatcha gonna do.
Anyway, I love the shifts in the song. The song builds to these frantic peaks and then drops back down into quiet.

"Get Lost" by Tom Waits
A highly catchy number with a 50's rockabilly vibe going on. Plus Tom Waits voice, which is always great. A nice, throwback-ish guitar solo from his great guitarist Mark Ribot. Keith Richards even makes a few appearances on the album this song hails from, which isn't too surprising as they've been friends since the 80's and Tom was even a special guest for one of the Rolling Stones recent shows in Oakland.

A good song from one of music's biggest weirdos. The song starts off with a really cool organ riff and then lands in Ariel's odd singing. This odd singing is also matched with his completely unexplainable lyrics about jacuzzis, Battleship, and even throwing in a "talk to your moms" for good measure. It was hard to pick only one song, so, if you enjoy this, search out his other stuff. Namely "Symphony of the Nymph" which has what may be my favorite lyric of all time ("I don't mean to burn any bridges, but I can't get enough of these bitches"), "Schnitzel Boogie," which is the "Hey Jude" of schnitzel, and "Baby," which is a startlingly good soul song (not sung by Ariel).

A song with a great riff, nice harmonies, cool bass line, great sounding instruments, and it's all matched with lyrics that are great fun to sing along with. Also, has a really interesting middle eight that sorta comes outta nowhere with some cool organ.

A very accurate title. On an album filled with great songs, this one seems to get over looked to me. I've always thought it was really great. Their music is sort of hard to describe, but they really harken back to the days of 1967 with their music. If that's your kinda thing (and you don't already know about them because you probably do), then they are a good band to check out.

This comes from the soundtrack to a really interesting movie called Berberian Sound Studios that, if you like strange movies, you should check out. The soundtrack is filled with some really original music and is also quite eerie. This one's probably my favorite (as it's the closest to a real song they get). I love the organ jamming and the way the drums swing back and forth from the left to the right channel (headphones probably needed). Really cool, unique stuff.

"Young Hearts" by Maston
Alright, this is a newcomer that I genuinely like, but perhaps that's because he loves Harry Nilsson, Van Dyke Parks, and Brian Wilson (and it shows). He makes some really finely-tuned pop songs that have really great arrangements and singing. He also plays all the instruments on his album, of which he is self-taught, and it all works together so well. Not to mention his fucking cool mustache.

thanks Bubbly  Smiley and I'm sorry too.  I honestly have learned a lot from the responses and all of these songs are new to me

-Dennis Wilson
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »

Justin Beiber, you ain't got nothin' on this!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 02:31:40 AM »

"Get Lost" by Tom Waits

"Young Hearts" by Maston
Alright, this is a newcomer that I genuinely like, but perhaps that's because he loves Harry Nilsson, Van Dyke Parks, and Brian Wilson (and it shows). He makes some really finely-tuned pop songs that have really great arrangements and singing. He also plays all the instruments on his album (except the harp), of which he is self-taught, and it all works together so well. Not to mention his fucking cool mustache.

Oh, yeah, here's another one: "Ballad of Little Jane" by Jacco Gardner
Everyone drools over this guy as the next Zombies or whatever and that's a load of crap. His album is practically the same song over and over again - and it's not a Ramones situation where it's at least a good song. It's boring. Nevertheless, there is this one good song hidden at the end of his album that is quite different from his other stuff in its tone. The chorus is also really good on this song, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_xPnHmkog

Nice list Bubbly but not sure you could consider any/much of that mainstream?

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »

I like 90s songs too

-Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »

Nice list Bubbly but not sure you could consider any/much of that mainstream?

Valid point  Tongue
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx