gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:44:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on the Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous  (Read 25768 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 01:29:08 AM »

Shhhhhh, you'll wake Pinder
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »

My god, he's just not likeable is he

My exact thoughts. Maybe someone should post this video in each of the Mike bashing threads then we can just lock them and move on.

"I love furniture ..... and cutlery ..... and art and all that stuff."

Cutlery?!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:51:01 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 07:44:02 AM »

I laughed really hard at the cutlery line.

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »

Seriously, the voice over guy is almost as obnoxious as Mike!  Razz
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 10:02:20 AM »

Let's face it: he's vile.

Love the musical legacy (with obvious exceptions), dislike the man.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »

Interesting that he has a grand piano in his home.
Can he play at all?

I have seen a video from the MIU period I believe where he is jamming on the piano with Brian. Of course there is no audio.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »

Imagine they did a show like that on Brian at the time!

Would've been interesting as, IIRC, Brian was living in a rented house with an upright piano whilst Landy had moved into Brian's house complete with a grand piano Shocked

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »

People who think Mike Love is vile must not get out much.  I've seen worse on the average trip to Walmart, or to some fine shopping areas, for that matter. I think Steve Martin has based part of his comedy career on doing Mike Love-like characters, that's how common his type is.

I would like to know where Mike stands on the cutlery industry making cheap knock-offs in China and slapping names like "Henckels" on them. I'm sure a man of his discriminating cutlery taste would be outraged.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 06:05:44 PM »

People who think Mike Love is vile must not get out much.  I've seen worse on the average trip to Walmart, or to some fine shopping areas, for that matter. I think Steve Martin has based part of his comedy career on doing Mike Love-like characters, that's how common his type is.

I would like to know where Mike stands on the cutlery industry making cheap knock-offs in China and slapping names like "Henckels" on them. I'm sure a man of his discriminating cutlery taste would be outraged.
Steve Martins act.  LOL!     I like to think that was a relic of the disco era self indulgence and the Kokomo vibe and thatMike has outgrown all of that attitude.  really out of synch with the eastern ideals he espouses.  sometime I think Mike is insecure and overcompensated.   could that be?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »

Good lord, I don't think there's a BB song that Robin Leach didn't reference.

For those interested in the BB songs Robin referenced Grin

Good Vibrations - five times
Surfin' Safari - twice
Fun Fun Fun - twice

Be True To Your School
California Saga: California
Don't Worry Baby
Good Timin'
Heroes and Villains
I Can Hear Music
I Get Around
Rock and Roll to the Rescue
Sail on Sailor
Surfer Girl
Wouldn't It Be Nice

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 08:40:32 PM »

Atleast Mike IS enjoying having his wealth allow him to live in naturally beautiful places. The first place is basically built around the view of the water!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »

I wish I could swim in my own waterfall.

The waterfall Mike is swimming in, along with the surrounding pond (Waioka Pond), are state owned property, although access can be tricky.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 05:45:36 AM »

No. No, he's not.
There's nothing likeable about him here.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »

What a disgusting TV show. IMO you're a depraved person to watch this.

Never understood the obsessionate celebrity culture or why people give a hoot about how they spend their money. People are so nosy
That tv show was truly some filth, even the presenter managed to overdo ML himself with clished Beach Boys references. On top of that ML spews his garbage but by 1990 this was really his thing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:48:59 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 07:32:35 AM »

I get out loads, and as such am aware that lots of people are vile. And Mike L is one of them.

It's as if he does it deliberately, yet I genuinely believe it's not remotely an act. I guess he's just honestly an objectionable, tactless arse, albeit a talented one.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 07:55:06 AM »

People who think Mike Love is vile must not get out much.  I've seen worse on the average trip to Walmart, or to some fine shopping areas, for that matter. I think Steve Martin has based part of his comedy career on doing Mike Love-like characters, that's how common his type is.

I get out loads, and as such am aware that lots of people are vile. And Mike L is one of them.

It's as if he does it deliberately, yet I genuinely believe it's not remotely an act. I guess he's just honestly an objectionable, tactless arse, albeit a talented one.
I honestly try to see Mike in a better light than that, though it's hard to see the random bringing up of DW's + BW's problems as having much of a point on a show like this. I think sometimes he is well meaning, but in this case it kinda feels like throwing them under the bus. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong.

I mean, I get that he wants to bring up the fact that he lives a clean life, and that he's proud of that - but does that have to, by definition, necessitate bringin up somebody else's problems (and death)? Can't the fact that he lives a clean life be mentioned without him additionally having to point out other peoples' flaws and extreme tragedies? I just don't get it. I want to like the man, but I can't understand why he does what he does.

I feel like it's a bit of a straw grab to try and explain it as Mike having briefly mentioned those things to magically convince viewers to not do drugs, because it just seems like bad taste in its off the cuff context - it's supposed to be a lighthearted segment on Mike, not about Mike's wonderful lifestyle juxtaposed against other peoples' problems (and death). I think Dennis would have wanted to have been remembered for something other than drugs/death. The Lifestyles show itself is already purely a show-off/ego stroking type of piece for its guests anyway, so particularly in that context, and knowing Mike's strained relationship with Brian at the time, the comments just leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's hard to see how he wouldn't be aware to see that those comments could potentially come off to some as being in bad taste in context of the type of show... this wasn't some deep serious, lengthy soul-bearing discussion on Geraldo.

Not trying to inflame or start a debate, just my two cents. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:38:34 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »

I honestly try to see Mike in a better light than that, though it's hard to see the random bringing up of DW's + BW's problems as having much of a point on a show like this. I think sometimes he is well meaning, but in this case it kinda feels like throwing them under the bus. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong.

I mean, I get that he wants to bring up the fact that he lives a clean life, and that he's proud of that - but does that have to, by definition, necessitate bringing bringing up somebody else's problems (and death)? Can't the fact that he lives a clean life be mentioned without him additionally having to point out other peoples' flaws and extreme tragedies? I just don't get it. I want to like the man, but I can't understand why he does what he does.

I feel like it's a bit of a straw grab to try and explain it as Mike having briefly mentioned those things to magically convince viewers to not do drugs, because it just seems like bad taste in its off the cuff context - it's supposed to be a lighthearted segment on Mike, not about Mike's wonderful lifestyle juxtaposed against other peoples' problems (and death). I think Dennis would have wanted to have been remembered for something other than drugs/death. The Lifestyles show itself is already purely a show-off/ego stroking type of piece for its guests anyway, so particularly in that context, and knowing Mike's strained relationship with Brian at the time, the comments just leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's hard to see how he wouldn't be aware to see that those comments could potentially come off to some as being in bad taste in context of the type of show... this wasn't some deep serious, lengthy soul-bearing discussion on Geraldo.

Not trying to inflame or start a debate, just my two cents. Oh well.

Good post, Century...

But anyways here's some other thoughts. 'Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous' reeks of the 1980s (although I looked it up and I see that it actually lasted 'til '95! Wow.) and Ronald Reagan and the basic ME ME ME American thing that was going on. And whatever your opinion of Mike Love, he likes to show off, whether it be on stage, or with all his rings and jewelry, referencing his old hits in new songs, or bragging about his accomplishments in interviews. So put Mike Love together with the biggest "Me Decade"* and then a large helping of "I cowrote 'Kokomo', it recently hit number one, and cousin Brian had jack sh*t to do with it" and you are gonna have the most egotistical, big-headed, disgustingly pompous Mike Love ever. You know how Brian sang "I just wasn't made for these times"? Well, Mike Love was most absolutely, for sure, made for the 1980s. His tacky sartorial choices, his money-grubbing, his basic need to pat himself on the back? Such  truly 1980s American characteristics.

It's also this kind of attitude which showed why Kurt Cobain was so very necessary, just as punk was necessary in the '70s. When you got dickheads like Mike Love and all these hair metal jackasses and just a general 1980s "Reaganism" thing going on, we needed something to set us back to zero.

*Yes I know this was apparently 1990, but in the big scheme of things 1990 was still part of "'80s culture", just as the early '80s were still an extension of the late '70s.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:41:37 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:23:10 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 08:44:43 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:23:26 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 08:49:08 AM »

I know, Jack Riely wrote lyrics to Holland. Still, everything Mike Love evr wrote really sucks. But. he a stand up guy. clished? obsessiontae? IMO IUMO IMO it still sucks IMO I wanna piss someone off but IMO its MHO SO FU IMO

IMO, the lyrics on Holland are much more obnoxious than Lifestyles of The Rich And Famous, or anything that Mike has ever done in an interview. He's made some crappy music over the years. I hate the musical legacy (with obvious exceptions for anything involving Brian Wilson), but I just straight up like the man.

Errr.....uhhh...wha??
halblaineisgood
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:24:15 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:24:30 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »

But anyways here's some other thoughts. 'Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous' reeks of the 1980s (although I looked it up and I see that it actually lasted 'til '95! Wow.) and Ronald Reagan and the basic ME ME ME American thing that was going on. And whatever your opinion of Mike Love, he likes to show off, whether it be on stage, or with all his rings and jewelry, referencing his old hits in new songs, or bragging about his accomplishments in interviews. So put Mike Love together with the biggest "Me Decade"* and then a large helping of "I cowrote 'Kokomo', it recently hit number one, and cousin Brian had jack sh*t to do with it" and you are gonna have the most egotistical, big-headed, disgustingly pompous Mike Love ever. You know how Brian sang "I just wasn't made for these times"? Well, Mike Love was most absolutely, for sure, made for the 1980s. His tacky sartorial choices, his money-grubbing, his basic need to pat himself on the back? Such  truly 1980s American characteristics.

It's also this kind of attitude which showed why Kurt Cobain was so very necessary, just as punk was necessary in the '70s. When you got dickheads like Mike Love and all these hair metal jackasses and just a general 1980s "Reaganism" thing going on, we needed something to set us back to zero.

*Yes I know this was apparently 1990, but in the big scheme of things 1990 was still part of "'80s culture", just as the early '80s were still an extension of the late '70s.
Tom Wolfe coined the term 'the Me Decade' to refer to the 1970's. Although arguably, every decade since the end of WWII has been a 'Me" decade, including our current one. I don't know what any of this has to do with Reagan -- presidents don't create the culture.

Also, Cobain didn't set anything "back to zero". Nirvana picked up where such 80's bands as the Pixies and the Replacements left off. And true, grunge had a short-lived cultural impact (mainly on fashion), but the music biz kept churning out a mix of crap and quality, same as it ever did and indeed continues to do.

Mike is the same person from decade to decade. "His tacky sartorial choices, his money-grubbing, his basic need to pat himself on the back" are just as present in the 1960's and the 2010's as they were in the 80's.

'I Just Wasn't Made for These Times' is a great song, but a self-pitying one -- and if it is meant to refer to Brian specifically, a wholly inaccurate one. Brian was totally made for that brief era (1962-1966) in which he creatively and commercially flourished.  Doris Day maybe wasn't made for those times, but Brian sure was.

And Mike? He's a man for all seasons. He'll make a home for himself in any decade. And as crass as he is, there's something as admirable as it is off-putting in such adaptability.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »

that was really clished. Sorry.   Cry

who is this guy and what is he on about?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »

Tom Wolfe coined the term 'the Me Decade' to refer to the 1970's. Although arguably, every decade since the end of WWII has been a 'Me" decade, including our current one. I don't know what any of this has to do with Reagan -- presidents don't create the culture.

I'd say ol' forgetful Ronnie very much help create a culture where "greed is good" with his policies. But whatever. It was just an observation. This isn't a political thread.

Also, Cobain didn't set anything "back to zero". Nirvana picked up where such 80's bands as the Pixies and the Replacements left off. And true, grunge had a short-lived cultural impact (mainly on fashion), but the music biz kept churning out a mix of crap and quality, same as it ever did and indeed continues to do.

Yeah, Cobain and co. did. Sure, the Pixes did what Nirvana did (maybe better, well except for this latest album), but did they do it in such a big way? Absolutely not. The rise of Nirvana basically in and of itself struck the death knell for shitty '80s hair metal. Now did most grunge suck? Yeah. Has there been a lot of shitty music since Nirvana? Absolutely. All I'm saying is, Cobain, Grohl and Novaselic were at the forefront of bringing forth an era where rock stars bragging about their houses and how much money they have wasn't cool. Unfortunately, it seems that with the rise of Kanye, Jay Z, and a bunch of others, we are once again at the point where it'd be good to wipe all the excesses away.

Mike is the same person from decade to decade. "His tacky sartorial choices, his money-grubbing, his basic need to pat himself on the back" are just as present in the 1960's and the 2010's as they were in the 80's.

And Mike? He's a man for all seasons. He'll make a home for himself in any decade. And as crass as he is, there's something as admirable as it is off-putting in such adaptability.

Yeah, Mike's the same person. To an extent. We all change. I'd like to think he was a bit more humbled by the late '60s and early '70s, so it seems. And he also seems to have learned some lessons from some of his '80s and '90s bombs. I don't think he would do anything as crass as that TV show again. Although there are some he hasn't learned (Stamos, choosing touring with just Bruce instead continuing the real Beach Boys, etc).

All I was saying however was that he was a very 1980s type guy. You know, some people just "fit" in certain eras. Jefferson Airplane obviously would only fit in the '60s. The Elvis Presley of the '70s would only fit in that era. These kinda things were perfect fits for their time period. Mike Love fit perfectly into the consumeristic, glitzy, cheesy '80s, is all I'm saying.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx